PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Smith Pro Day Video

FinNasty
04-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Just found this. I thought some may be interested. He had a great pro day...

http://nfl-draft-notebook.blogspot.com/2008/04/kevin-smiths-pro-day.html

It looks like he cleared up any concerns people may have had about his receiving ability. He wasnt used much as a receiver in college b/c they used him so much in the running game. Could you imagine giving him even more touches? lol.

Very quick in and out of his breaks. Caught the ball well with his hands, and didnt let it get into his body. Made some tough catches as well...

Hes a complete, every-down, workhorse back... just feed him the ball...

MetSox17
04-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Granted that those are still Highlights from his pro-day, i must say that
the kid looks like a stud. If he can hold up in the Ligg seeing as they beat
him like a rented mule this past year, he's gonna be very good.

FinNasty
04-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Granted that those are still Highlights from his pro-day, i must say that
the kid looks like a stud. If he can hold up in the Ligg seeing as they beat
him like a rented mule this past year, he's gonna be very good.

Agreed...

Are you a Texas fan? Did you get a chance to watch the Texas-UCF game this year?

MetSox17
04-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Agreed...

Are you a Texas fan? Did you get a chance to watch the Texas-UCF game this year?

heh. am i..
lol. i heard that game on the radio cause i worked that saturday.
i know he had a very very good game against them, and nearly beat them
single handedly, but i didnt get to see the actual game itself.

ChezPower4
04-03-2008, 02:10 PM
I think that Kevin Smith is a underrated prospect and i think that he will be a very good NFL back.

FinNasty
04-03-2008, 02:14 PM
heh. am i..
lol. i heard that game on the radio cause i worked that saturday.
i know he had a very very good game against them, and nearly beat them
single handedly, but i didnt get to see the actual game itself.

Oh ok... I was just curious.

UCF's QB blew it in that game like usual... by fumbling it on a clock killing drive at the end of the game.

FinNasty
04-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I have seen almost every one of Kevin Smith's games... and even I was impressed with how well he looked in the passing game at his pro day. I knew he had pretty good hands, b/c he rarely dropped a pass, but he didnt get many opportunities in the passing game in college.

I was suprised how good his routes looked since he didnt get much practice at it at UCF. Very quick in and out of his breaks, and just like his cutting ability, its very suprising considering that he is a long strider...

MetSox17
04-03-2008, 02:25 PM
I have seen almost every one of Kevin Smith's games... and even I was impressed with how well he looked in the passing game at his pro day. I knew he had pretty good hands, b/c he rarely dropped a pass, but he didnt get many opportunities in the passing game in college.

I was suprised how good his routes looked since he didnt get much practice at it at UCF. Very quick in and out of his breaks, and just like his cutting ability, its very suprising considering that he is a long strider...

There's a little part in the video where he's kinda jogging, puts a move then explodes into full speed.
I thought that part was the best, showing good burst

FinNasty
04-03-2008, 02:30 PM
There's a little part in the video where he's kinda jogging, puts a move then explodes into full speed.
I thought that part was the best, showing good burst

Ya...

And he helped answer some questions about his long speed with a 4.47 40 yard dash...

He is a complete player. Some of the best vision in the class... which is absolutly stunning to watch sometimes. And to go along with that, he can cut on a dime and make people miss with the best of them...

LonghornsLegend
04-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Agreed...

I watched it, he had a very good game on the ground versus us and was still breaking off long runs vs a fast defense because he knows when to make his cuts upfield and takes great angles, that all goes hand in hand with having great vision...Of course UCF lost at the end, because they didnt have much else going for them that game, they had a very good chance to win though, I remember at one point I started getting upset and figuring the game was over until I believe UCF fumbled late(long time ago, memory is clouded).

I personally like him in the pro's, he's going to be a guy who can carry more then 20+ times a game and consistently move the chains, Joseph Addai is who he reminds me of.

FinNasty
04-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I watched it, he had a very good game on the ground versus us and was still breaking off long runs vs a fast defense because he knows when to make his cuts upfield and takes great angles, that all goes hand in hand with having great vision...Of course UCF lost at the end, because they didnt have much else going for them that game, they had a very good chance to win though, I remember at one point I started getting upset and figuring the game was over until I believe UCF fumbled late(long time ago, memory is clouded).

I personally like him in the pro's, he's going to be a guy who can carry more then 20+ times a game and consistently move the chains, Joseph Addai is who he reminds me of.

Yep. My memory was clouded too... but it had more to do with the beer I was drinking at the time... lol

Kyle Isreal, UCF's QB, scrambled towards the sideline and fumbled it. Then, Charles broke off a long one and you took the lead at the end.

I can tell you right now that the game was heartbreaking for all UCF fans. Opening the brand new on campus stadium... against Texas... and winning... would have been a fairy tale beginning for UCF.

It was one hell of a game though...

FinNasty
04-03-2008, 02:56 PM
And I like the Addai comparison...

etk
04-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Surprising that he looks better in shorts than in a game with pads on, given his reputation. He definitely looked like a complete legit starter there.

FinNasty
04-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Surprising that he looks better in shorts than in a game with pads on, given his reputation. He definitely looked like a complete legit starter there.

Just trying to interpret your post...

Are you saying that he is more of a player that looks good in shorts, but not so good when the pads come on? Like a workout warrior?

etk
04-03-2008, 04:10 PM
No I am saying that his reputation is that of a player who performs on gameday but doesn't have great workout numbers. That vid was the opposite for me as he looked better running those drills than he ever did running the ball.

FinNasty
04-03-2008, 04:13 PM
No I am saying that his reputation is that of a player who performs on gameday but doesn't have great workout numbers. That vid was the opposite for me as he looked better running those drills than he ever did running the ball.

Oh ok... so you think he looked even better in his workouts than he did on film... as a testiment to how good he looked in the workout, not as a slight against him in pads?

Ya, I never expected him to workout well. But I was very impressed with how he looked...

katnip
04-03-2008, 04:15 PM
I'd be happy if the Texans got him 2nd round and drafted a nasty WR or safety 1st round. I mean pair a good #2 WR with A.J., O. Daniels, hopefully a healthy Schaub, and a kevin smith. They need a tough workhorse.

Yes I'm a Jets fan.

edit - don't really follow the texans so don't kill me

MetSox17
04-03-2008, 04:19 PM
I'd be happy if the Texans got him 2nd round and drafted a nasty WR or safety 1st round. I mean pair a good #2 WR with A.J., O. Daniels, hopefully a healthy Schaub, and a kevin smith. They need a tough workhorse.

Yes I'm a Jets fan.

Actually that doesn't too bad if they can get him in the second round. With some teams looking mostly for a back to complement their current one, he might slide a bit, maybe seeing Johnson and Charles go ahead of him, but he'd look great in a Texans uni. Houston needs OL help badly. Secondary help also.

katnip
04-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Oh. I thought their O-Line was better than most thought. That David Carr couldn't get rid of the ball.

Go_Eagles77
04-03-2008, 04:22 PM
I saw a youtube video where he was talking about how he almost got killed in a drive-by or something... not sure how that kind of stuff can help his stock.

FinNasty
04-03-2008, 04:22 PM

Yes I'm a Jets fan.

Smith would be devistating in a ZBS like the one Houston uses...

BufFan71
04-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Oh ok... I was just curious.

UCF's QB blew it in that game like usual... by fumbling it on a clock killing drive at the end of the game.

ahh typical Kyle Isreal

FinNasty
04-03-2008, 04:29 PM
I saw a youtube video where he was talking about how he almost got killed in a drive-by or something... not sure how that kind of stuff can help his stock.

Not sure how it would hurt it either? He was standing around with his friends, and a guy that they didnt know parked and pulled out a gun. And he ran and got the hell out of there.

It made him really appreciate his life. Unfortunately, not everyone can grow up in nice gated communities. Like a lot of players, he grew up in a poor neighborhood...

It wont have any baring on his stock. If it did, you could cross off probably 2/3rds of this draft class... lol

A lot of players come from poor backgrounds. If they have a good head on their shoulders, it only makes them appreciate the opportunity to support their family and play in the NFL even more.

Burns336
04-03-2008, 04:37 PM
I like him and Ray Rice as guys that can be had later and will probably turn out to be good, reliable players. Both of them also seem to have the "chip on the shoulder" motivation from being overlooked due to school (smith) and size (rice).

FinNasty
04-03-2008, 04:39 PM
I like him and Ray Rice as guys that can be had later and will probably turn out to be good, reliable players. Both of them also seem to have the "chip on the shoulder" motivation from being overlooked due to school (smith) and size (rice).

Agreed...

And both of them have the best vision in the class...

Go_Eagles77
04-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Not sure how it would hurt it either? He was standing around with his friends, and a guy that they didnt know parked and pulled out a gun. And he ran and got the hell out of there.

It made him really appreciate his life. Unfortunately, not everyone can grow up in nice gated communities. Like a lot of players, he grew up in a poor neighborhood...

It wont have any baring on his stock. If it did, you could cross off probably 2/3rds of this draft class... lol

A lot of players come from poor backgrounds. If they have a good head on their shoulders, it only makes them appreciate the opportunity to support their family and play in the NFL even more.

Yeah your right, when I think about it it was pretty dumb of me to think that, he said he didn't even know the guy.

FinNasty
04-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Yeah your right, when I think about it it was pretty dumb of me to think that, he said he didn't even know the guy.

Its all good... ;)

Hearing anything about an incident involving guns and a player has to raise an eyebrow for a second...

You just got to make sure you look into it further before forming a conclusion...

FinNasty
04-03-2008, 07:26 PM
ahh typical Kyle Isreal

Yep. My neighbors are close friends of his. I ran into them at the Bowl game around half time, and asked them what the deal with their boy was... and they just started going off on him... lol.

"We thought he would come out in the last game of his career... and really light it up. But instead he is ****ing blowing it! He ****ing sucks!!! " LOL...

BufFan71
04-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Yep. My neighbors are close friends of his. I ran into them at the Bowl game around half time, and asked them what the deal with their boy was... and they just started going off on him... lol.

"We thought he would come out in the last game of his career... and really light it up. But instead he is ****ing blowing it! He ****ing sucks!!! " LOL...

my feelings exactly

etk
04-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Agreed...

And both of them have the best vision in the class...

Mike Hart has the best vision of any back in the draft, but people forget about him because he's short and unathletic.

FinNasty
04-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Mike Hart has the best vision of any back in the draft, but people forget about him because he's short and unathletic.

I think Smith has the best vision in the class... but its so hard to really try to compare somthing like vision... especially when both are very good.

Choice has some damn good vision too...