PDA

View Full Version : This Zebra hasn't lost his stripes

MetSox17
04-03-2008, 02:35 PM
It looks like Chris Henry (WR) is at it again.
Just got cut today, does anyone else give him a chance?
After he serves his 1 year + suspension?

Also, since this is in the draft forum, how do you think
it changes the perception GM's and scouts have on players
with at least SOME character issues?
A lot of people, including myself, have always thought of giving
players second chances, but kids like this one seem
to take advantage of that.

Thoughts?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7984426/Bengals-cut-Henry-after-latest-arrest

Crazy_Chris
04-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Depends on the team Childress and Speilman for example took a bunch of players off the Vikings big board last year due to character concerns.

MetSox17
04-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Who are this year's bad apples?

Solomon
04-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Who are this year's bad apples?

It's hard to classify someone as a bad apple esp if they have a bad rep from one incident somewhere during their career, I mean everyone makes mistakes and these kids have a huge microscope placed on them. There are quite a few guys with questions to answer about their character, here are just a few off the top of my head:

1. Darren McFadden - broke his toe during a fight a few years ago.
2. James Hardy - Charged with domestic abuse from incident with girlfriend.
3. Carl Nicks - already had questions and then was charged last month for failing to disperse from an out of control party.
4. Brandon Flowers - facebook pic with baggy of white powder raised eyebrows.

Now all these players and incidents can be looked at as circumstance and poor decision making but not necessarily somebody who is going to be a repeat offender or have a hard time staying out of trouble. That's what the teams are looking to find out with all the interviews and psychology tests they throw at these guys. Teams know the basic facts about police charges and school suspensions but they want to go beyond the surface and find out if these prospects can stay focused in the NFL or if they'll wind up in the scrap heap.

stephenson86
04-04-2008, 04:41 PM
how about bowman, bit of a pot head

sprawwl
04-05-2008, 07:43 PM
I think that you should be willing to draft or sign a player who has character concerns, but that you should pay that player accordingly. If a guy's either going to give you $10 million worth of production or nothing, then give him money somewhere in the middle.

And regarding bad apples... Pat Simms, DT, Auburn.

MetSox17
04-05-2008, 08:27 PM
I think that you should be willing to draft or sign a player who has character concerns, but that you should pay that player accordingly. If a guy's either going to give you $10 million worth of production or nothing, then give him money somewhere in the middle.

And regarding bad apples... Pat Simms, DT, Auburn.

But where do you draw the line as far as when the production outweighs
the bad name the guy gives your team?

Chris Henry was absolutely awful out of the football field for three years
and he was on the team the whole time. There just seems to be too many teams that are willing to take the P.R hit with a guy so long as he produces
on the field.

sprawwl
04-06-2008, 07:53 AM
But where do you draw the line as far as when the production outweighs
the bad name the guy gives your team?

Chris Henry was absolutely awful out of the football field for three years
and he was on the team the whole time. There just seems to be too many teams that are willing to take the P.R hit with a guy so long as he produces
on the field.

I suppose you could factor that in as lost revenue from merchandising, ticket sales, etc... then if the mean value (between + and -) is below the league minimum salary, you don't sign him?