PDA

View Full Version : Got to Give It To Parcells

adamprez2003
04-04-2008, 05:41 PM
This guy is a genius poker player.

The first guy that was reportedly going to Miami was Glenn Dorsey back in December/ January. Then it became Matt Ryan. Then everyone got on the Chris Long bandwagon. The last week has everybody hopping on the Jake Long bandwagon. And now I just saw a mock with Gholston.

Well played Bill. You have everyone completely confused

ChefMike
04-04-2008, 05:43 PM
This guy is a genius poker player.

The first guy that was reportedly going to Miami was Glenn Dorsey back in December/ January. Then it became Matt Ryan. Then everyone got on the Chris Long bandwagon. The last week has everybody hopping on the Jake Long bandwagon. And now I just saw a mock with Gholston.

Well played Bill. You have everyone completely confused

He always does... he won't show his hand till maybe the night before when an agreement is made on a contract potentially. I don't see Gholston going #1 even though he fits the Parcells mold and could be Miami's perfect compliment to Taylor to give them a ungodly Pass Rush (Now who is going to cover anyone ?) which wouldnt be a bad thing gives the Defense an Identity.. but Chris Long also can provide that type of an impact. So who knows...

toonsterwu
04-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Parcells has been notorious for trying to hide his intents draft wise. That said, it was probably more necessary this year, as he probably desperately wants a deal out, and the only way to do that would be to try and sell people on the idea that anyone could be a possibility.

I don't think anyone really knows what's going to happen just yet, although we'll get an idea soon enough as they'll probably start targeting guys for negotiations within the next 2 weeks (or we might start hearing news on it).

IowaJag
04-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Thats why hes "The Tuna"...Hes "The Man". If I was the owner of a franchise, he would be the first man Id look at.

Abaddon
04-04-2008, 07:36 PM
I don't think anything in the top 5 is certain, short of the Chiefs taking Jake Long if he falls to them. Everything else is basically wide open.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-04-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm not really sure Parcells deserves any credit here. The past three drafts, each of the teams picking at the top of the draft have either been a mystery at this point. Oakland hid their draft intentions fairly well up until the very end, Houston surprised everyone the day before the draft, and Alex Smith only emerged as the frontrunner for the 49ers the week before the draft.

All the changing names at the top of the draft are just people trying to find the right fit in a weak draft class.

thule
04-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Actually parcells is easy to project then others. I was a hardcore parcells draft era research last year...and when push comes to shove....if the right guy is there you can pick it almost everytime. For instance....the Bobby Carpenter pick was a near lock almost 4 months before the draft...although rumors speculated that Jerry wanted Lawson....Carp was essentially a lock. His dad played for parcells...Steven Jones and Carps agent Sexton were close and had lots of deals prior. If you pay attention to "parcells type players" you kind of realize that some guys are eliminated right away...which you can't say about some teams.

I've said it since Parcells was announced that the pick would be Chris Long. And although this doesn't seem like a lock....if you look at the factors...step one would be who is Long's agent....this would tell alot. Next step would be to look at Longs ties...and you'll find Groh and Parcells are like brothers....so that alone speaks volumes. Then you look at Long as a prospect and what the dolphins are doing...and you see that Taylor is rumored on the way out....Porter is a natural WOLB in Parcells 2 gap scheme....Long would be the standup strongside...and shift into the down position if needed. I still think this pick is about 80% chris 20% Jake.

bearsfan_51
04-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Aren't we overlooking the fact that Parcells isn't even the GM?

neko4
04-05-2008, 01:38 AM
"Know when to holdem, know when to foldem."
Good point BF51, what does he do? Advise Ireland?

adamprez2003
04-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Actually parcells is easy to project then others. I was a hardcore parcells draft era research last year...and when push comes to shove....if the right guy is there you can pick it almost everytime. For instance....the Bobby Carpenter pick was a near lock almost 4 months before the draft...although rumors speculated that Jerry wanted Lawson....Carp was essentially a lock. His dad played for parcells...Steven Jones and Carps agent Sexton were close and had lots of deals prior. If you pay attention to "parcells type players" you kind of realize that some guys are eliminated right away...which you can't say about some teams.

I've said it since Parcells was announced that the pick would be Chris Long. And although this doesn't seem like a lock....if you look at the factors...step one would be who is Long's agent....this would tell alot. Next step would be to look at Longs ties...and you'll find Groh and Parcells are like brothers....so that alone speaks volumes. Then you look at Long as a prospect and what the dolphins are doing...and you see that Taylor is rumored on the way out....Porter is a natural WOLB in Parcells 2 gap scheme....Long would be the standup strongside...and shift into the down position if needed. I still think this pick is about 80% chris 20% Jake.

You may be 100% right and he'll go with Chris Long but my point was that he's confused everyone else. There is no consensus on who they take. I think most people have a hunch it will be Chris Long but then they had Sparano go out of his way to say the defense they would run would be based around Jason Taylor. Now everyone's on the Jake Long bandwagon lol.

FinChase
04-05-2008, 10:54 AM

True, but Jeff Ireland was developed by Parcells when he was Dallas and hand-picked to be his GM. Also, Parcells likes to help "buy the groceries."

schmiddog
04-05-2008, 01:09 PM

Aren't you overlooking the fact that we're talking about Bill Parcells?

Abaddon
04-05-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm not overlooking the fact that Parcells isn't technically the GM. But he didn't get brought in to stay out of the process either.

D-Rod
04-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Does anyone seriously think that Parcells does not have final say on drafting?

BlindSite
04-05-2008, 08:23 PM

After the fact that he stated more than once he'd never come back to football without personnel control? No.

Parcells is making the decision you can count on it.

That said I think it'll be Jake over Chris, its harder to find a starting left tackle than a linebacker/defensive end tweener (who isn't a great position of need) from year to year, and more important to build a franchise.

TheBuffaloBills
04-05-2008, 09:57 PM
I honestly believe on draft he will be taking Gholston.... Its a fact that he is willing to pay for a pass rushing DE. IMO Gholston is the unquestioned best pass rushing DE in the draft