PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Laws

BlindSite
04-05-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm just thinking that he's on of the more underrated Defensive line prospect in the draft.

He's got the best hands of any DE or DT in the draft and due to his wrestling background will have a great pedigree when it comes to one on one shedding and fighting off blockers. Add that to his intensity, motor and leadership I'm not sure why a lot of people have him as a round 4 sort of guy.

IMO in the right rotation he could have major impact. I wouldn't want him as an every down starter per se but as a rotational guy he could be dynamite.

Caddy
04-05-2008, 08:14 PM
I don't know whether most people on this site over-rate Laws, but he seems to be a consensus 2nd round pick amongst most people. Some even think he has a slight chance at the 1st round.

BlindSite
04-05-2008, 08:18 PM
I don't frequent this draft forum all that much (mainly the NFL portion) but Scott Still has him ranked low as do most draft sites.

More speaking about sites than person to person opinion.

JagHombre22
04-05-2008, 08:20 PM
I know Jacksonville is heavily scouting him....he could be Jax pick at #26

BlindSite
04-05-2008, 08:30 PM
You really think he'd come off that early. You wouldn't think it a reach. I like the guy but I'm talking picks 35-60 here.

draftguru151
04-05-2008, 08:51 PM
You really think he'd come off that early. You wouldn't think it a reach. I like the guy but I'm talking picks 35-60 here.

Scott has him going in the 50s....

BlindSite
04-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Scott has him going in the 50s....

Still has him listed as a quote "mid rounder" on his scouting report.

Go_Eagles77
04-05-2008, 09:34 PM
He shouldn't make it past the middle of the 2nd round imo. He had a lot of production in college and looked pretty solid in workouts, one of the few negatives on him is his height and you don't see that effecting Ellis too much. I think 1st round is a definite possibility.

TheBuffaloBills
04-05-2008, 09:55 PM
He has crazy similarities to Sedrick Ellis

bam bam
04-05-2008, 09:55 PM
his size, wrestling background, and feistiness makes him sound a lot like Kelly Gregg. Only Laws looks cooler.

BamaFalcon59
04-05-2008, 10:59 PM
He has crazy similarities to Sedrick Ellis

I actually think he is a cross between Ellis and Dorsey. He has the hand quickness of Dorsey, but not the overall explosion and overall potential. He has the stout build of Ellis but not the overall game and leverage of Ellis.

the decider13
04-06-2008, 07:32 AM
I would be happy to see trevor laws on the Broncos, I just hope he is still there in the second. I think he is going to make a great pro.

D-Rod
04-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Personally, I'd take Laws ahead of any DT in this year's draft not named Dorsey or Ellis. What separates him out from the rest of the pack is his work ethic and consistency. Balmer, Moore, Bryant, Sims - they've all got work ethic / consistency issues, though they're all more physically talented than Laws. And there's no position more prone to such issues than DT...

Addict
04-06-2008, 08:33 AM

there's still a few mistakes in those reports.. Mayo is rated late round/fa and there's a few guys whose grade is low or high.

neko4
04-06-2008, 09:21 AM
The big concern with Laws I think his strength. I like and I think he deserves to go 1st-2nd

Iamcanadian
04-06-2008, 09:30 AM
The DT class is very weak once you get past Dorsey and Ellis. The rest are borderline guys. Laws is a guy who gets by on his motor but that motor is going to get him drafted pretty high. He really suits a Cover 2 team and I could see someone desperate at DT taking the risk in round 1 but he probably has 2nd round talent. He won't be effective in every system but if he gets in the right system for his talent, he could be very effective.

eaglesalltheway
04-06-2008, 09:37 AM
He would have to be an UT in a 4-3 or a DE in a 3-4, but I think he is best suted to play UT in the cover two.

TyronePoole38
04-06-2008, 10:08 AM
The big concern with Laws I think his strength. I like and I think he deserves to go 1st-2nd

35 reps on the bench at the combine and you think there is a concern about his strength ? :confused:

BamaFalcon59
04-06-2008, 10:21 AM
35 reps on the bench at the combine and you think there is a concern about his strength ? :confused:

Eddie Royal had like 22-24 reps. Is he stronger than some offensive lineman in game?

art vandelay
04-06-2008, 11:04 AM
I think one of the biggest concerns is that he has already maxed out his potential and is an overachiever.

BaLLiN
04-06-2008, 11:09 AM

he didnt update that part of the scouting reports yet i dont think

JagHombre22
04-06-2008, 11:13 AM
the guy had like 110 tackles on a horrible ND team....I don't think he overachieved....

art vandelay
04-06-2008, 11:14 AM
the guy had like 110 tackles on a horrible ND team....I don't think he overachieved....

Actually that's the definition of overachieved.

JagHombre22
04-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Actually that's the definition of overachieved.

he was consistent though...I understand that he may looked like he overachieved but he was doing it against all levels of competition

art vandelay
04-06-2008, 11:28 AM
he was consistent though...I understand that he may looked like he overachieved but he was doing it against all levels of competition

Consistency and competition don't have anything to do with it. He performed and produced better than he physically should have. He has only a small ceiling to improve in the NFL because of his physical limitations and the fact that he's maxed out most of his potential.

JagHombre22
04-06-2008, 11:34 AM
how has he maxed out on most of his potential...he's got the quickness, the burst off the line, and the strength to be a dominant pass rushing DT...in a 4-3

lordquas
04-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Personally, I'd take Laws ahead of any DT in this year's draft not named Dorsey or Ellis. What separates him out from the rest of the pack is his work ethic and consistency. Balmer, Moore, Bryant, Sims - they've all got work ethic / consistency issues, though they're all more physically talented than Laws. And there's no position more prone to such issues than DT...

ayyy as much as i like Laws I think Dre Moore from Maryland is still a better prospect. With Laws you pretty much know what your getting. an energizer bunny. with moore the potential is sky high..

art vandelay
04-06-2008, 11:42 AM
how has he maxed out on most of his potential...he's got the quickness, the burst off the line, and the strength to be a dominant pass rushing DT...in a 4-3

I do not think that he will ever be a "dominating" player in any way. He isn't really strong at the POA (bench reps don't mean much here) and doesn't have great pass rush moves but is an extremely hard worker and uses his hands very well. I see him as a good rotational guy as a 4-3 UT but not an every down player.

Toneloc498
04-06-2008, 11:46 AM
I like Laws as my 3rd best DT in this draft after the obvious 2. His motor separates him from the others, one thing that I see most common in the NFL is DT's getting drafted high that have work ethic issues and they always seem to never pan out. Laws is a hard working kid, explosive, strong and knows how to use leverage to his advantage (wrestling background), theres no doubt in my mind that he will be a solid pro. He might not ever be great but you know your getting something good. Would love for the Giants to nab him at 31 if no one better is available, having Osi, Laws, Tuck and Strahan on the line would be nice

JagHombre22
04-06-2008, 11:48 AM
I do not think that he will ever be a "dominating" player in any way. He isn't really strong at the POA (bench reps don't mean much here) and doesn't have great pass rush moves but is an extremely hard worker and uses his hands very well. I see him as a good rotational guy as a 4-3 UT but not an every down player.

he has the skill and the motor to be a great pass rushing DT...I see him as a rotational guy as well, simply because of his size, but that does not take away from the fact that the guy gets penetration...

he does use his hands well and he is very strong, with his leverage and hand use, he has the ability to drive guards backwards into the backfield, which...imo, is his greatest attribute

art vandelay
04-06-2008, 11:52 AM
he has the skill and the motor to be a great pass rushing DT...I see him as a rotational guy as well, simply because of his size, but that does not take away from the fact that the guy gets penetration...

he does use his hands well and he is very strong, with his leverage and hand use, he has the ability to drive guards backwards into the backfield, which...imo, is his greatest attribute

I agree with most of this but I question your post before when you say that he can be a "dominating" pass rusher in a 4-3. How is that possible if his pass rush moves aren't all that great and he gets by with hustle and strength? In the NFL, these attributes won't translate as well as they did in college and I think Laws will be a solid rotational guy but nothing more.

JagHombre22
04-06-2008, 11:57 AM
I agree with most of this but I question your post before when you say that he can be a "dominating" pass rusher in a 4-3. How is that possible if his pass rush moves aren't all that great and he gets by with hustle and strength? In the NFL, these attributes won't translate as well as they did in college and I think Laws will be a solid rotational guy but nothing more.

because of his motor and persistence on the line, and the way he uses his leverage...I think he can get in the backfield easier than other DT's...that's just my opinion though

Jonny
04-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Laws is not as good as Sims or Balmer.

SMoore
04-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Laws is not as good as Sims or Balmer.

Care to give any reasons?

I think laws is an ok prospect, definitely an overachiever though...i watched him a bit this season and a came away impressed every time, i really liked his motor and work ethic, it seemed like he was in on every play

BlindSite
04-06-2008, 05:05 PM
To be honest, he reminds me a lot of rod coleman. Might not be the biggest guy but he'll give you his all and it'll pay off handsomely.

BamaFalcon59
04-06-2008, 06:03 PM
To be honest, he reminds me a lot of rod coleman. Might not be the biggest guy but he'll give you his all and it'll pay off handsomely.

I doubt he is ever a guy as productive rushing the passer as Rod Coleman was in his prime. And I believe Laws will be much better against the run than Coleman. Not a very good comparison.

Brent
04-06-2008, 06:08 PM
I hope he ends up a Niner.

neko4
04-06-2008, 06:18 PM
damn, i thought he did worse, i need to go back and watch the combine

Solomon
04-06-2008, 10:07 PM
I don't get how people say he has maxed out his potential and he's an overacheiver when he worked out so well at the combine. Clearly he's got the physical tools to go with the production and work ethic. He has better physical tools to grow into than most of the DTs in the draft.

JagHombre22
04-06-2008, 11:21 PM
which is why the Jaguars are looking at him at #26

ChezPower4
04-07-2008, 01:04 AM
He had over 100 tackles as a senior i have never seen numbers like that before he has to have some skill

waazup
04-07-2008, 01:25 AM
It should be a no brainer for the Saints to take him in the 2nd round if they miss out on Dorsey or Ellis.

brat316
04-07-2008, 01:31 AM
anyone else think he is kind of like darnell Dockett, DT for the Cards. He was good in the 4-3 but in the 3-4 he was much more dominant at end. I see the same thing happening for Laws more dominant as a 3-4 end.

bigG
04-07-2008, 02:54 AM
anyone else think he is kind of like darnell Dockett, DT for the Cards. He was good in the 4-3 but in the 3-4 he was much more dominant at end. I see the same thing happening for Laws more dominant as a 3-4 end.

I can see where you are going with this but Dockett is 6'4 290 and ripped out his mind. I think he ran like in the 4.7s at FSU. I'm not the biggest fan of Laws, but if Mike Patterson can go in round 1 I think Laws can too. One team has to just fall in love with him.

Iamcanadian
04-07-2008, 08:28 AM
If Laws is drafted by a Cover 2 team, he could be a very solid DT in that scheme attacking the gaps rather than taking on OLmen. I'm not sure if he's a candidate to play DE in a 3-4, he can be dominated at the POA by bigger OLmen.