PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm Kelly To Bengals?

TheBuffaloBills
04-06-2008, 09:36 AM
This morning I heard Todd McShay say that the Bengals are going to fly Kelly into Cinncinati immidately after his workout on the 9th for an interview. Does anyone have a link, because this could change the whole draft.

ThePudge
04-06-2008, 09:44 AM
They've flown plenty of players in, don't put too much weight on that. They are targetting a big WR, but they're more likely to wait until the 2nd, or trade up in the 2nd to get one of the following: Malcolm Kelly or James Hardy most likely. With the concerns about his knees, Kelly may just slide and if he gets past Pittsburgh and Tennessee, James Hardy will likely fall to the 2nd Round (Where the Bengals would have to trade up ahead of St. Louis).

If I was forced to project a trade, I would say Cincinnati trades 2nd Round Pick (46th Overall), 4th Round Pick (112th Overall), and a 2009 Third Round Pick to Green Bay for their 1st Round Pick (30th Overall). From there, I would assume the Bengals would look Hardy or Kelly.

holt_bruce81
04-06-2008, 12:33 PM
It doesn't mean anything.

It's not going to "change the whole draft"

LonghornsLegend
04-06-2008, 12:38 PM
They really are giving him alot of attention, flying him around and basically sending the house to watch his workout..But you can guarantee alot of teams will do the same because they havent got a good read on Kelly...With that being said, where does Cincy want to take him at?

They would obviously need to trade someone(Chad?) because 9 is too early and 2nd rd pick is probably a little too late depending on what he runs...But if they like what they see on film from him and really want him, they could easily ship Chad and draft Kelly there, but thats still a huge risk to go into the season with TJ as your #1 and Kelly as your #2, whose going to stretch the defense? I doubt either can really beat a double team if the defense is keying on them.

ThePudge
04-06-2008, 01:17 PM
They really are giving him alot of attention, flying him around and basically sending the house to watch his workout..But you can guarantee alot of teams will do the same because they havent got a good read on Kelly...With that being said, where does Cincy want to take him at?

They would obviously need to trade someone(Chad?) because 9 is too early and 2nd rd pick is probably a little too late depending on what he runs...But if they like what they see on film from him and really want him, they could easily ship Chad and draft Kelly there, but thats still a huge risk to go into the season with TJ as your #1 and Kelly as your #2, whose going to stretch the defense? I doubt either can really beat a double team if the defense is keying on them.

Will everyone stop this Chad Johnson trade nonsense. It would hurt the team to trade him more than it would to sit him. The trade would bring with it an 8 million dollar cap hit, which is money we don't have, especially after releasing Chris Henry. A trade up in the draft is possible I suppose, but still unlikely. 2009 Picks in addition to late round picks may be in a deal.

LonghornsLegend
04-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Will everyone stop this Chad Johnson trade nonsense. It would hurt the team to trade him more than it would to sit him. The trade would bring with it an 8 million dollar cap hit, which is money we don't have, especially after releasing Chris Henry. A trade up in the draft is possible I suppose, but still unlikely. 2009 Picks in addition to late round picks may be in a deal.

I wouldnt call it nonsense, and you have no idea what will happen if they get an offer good enough, or if Chad keeps going at the rate that he's going...None of us have any idea how this is going to play out, and honestly if your looking for a slot WR to play between Chad and TJ, Kelly isnt really the guy you want...Avery, Royal, or Dexter Jackson would make better choices, who knows, its all just speculation.

I never said it was imminent that it would happen, but im pretty sure Cincy hasnt shut closed the door on that option.

kiranadwaney
04-06-2008, 02:00 PM
i dont think they would be looking to take him at 9 because of his knees, might take him in the second round, and it that case i dont think it will change the whole draft

ThePudge
04-06-2008, 02:08 PM
I never said it was imminent that it would happen, but im pretty sure Cincy hasnt shut closed the door on that option.

Cincy has, in fact, supposedly shut the door on that option. Marvin Lewis has said multiple times that Chad Johnson will not be traded. With the release of Chris Henry, that former option isn't much of an option at all.

Vikes99ej
04-06-2008, 02:10 PM
The Vikings are going to interview Joe Flacco, Kentwan Balmer, Brian Brohm, and Devin Thomas!!! Where in the hell are we going to get 4 first round draft picks?!!!

yourfavestoner
04-06-2008, 02:11 PM
I wouldnt call it nonsense, and you have no idea what will happen if they get an offer good enough, or if Chad keeps going at the rate that he's going...None of us have any idea how this is going to play out, and honestly if your looking for a slot WR to play between Chad and TJ, Kelly isnt really the guy you want...Avery, Royal, or Dexter Jackson would make better choices, who knows, its all just speculation.

Like he said, though, Johnson's cap figure makes the trade pretty much impossible. The Bengals aren't exactly rolling around in cash, and I really don't think Mike Brown is going to just give Chad Johnson $8 million. Remember, we're not just talking about salary cap ramifications, we're also talking about cold hard cash that the Bengals would owe to Johnson. The only way I see him getting traded is if he offers to forgo the bonus money the team still owes him and work out a new deal with whatever team he goes to, a la Lavar Arrington. And if he wants out of Cinci that badly, then that's exactly what he needs to do.

Aftermath
04-06-2008, 04:06 PM
We would take Mendenhall, Rivers, Ellis and a few others before even thinking about Kelly at #9.

keylime_5
04-06-2008, 04:11 PM
I think Cincy wants Ellis but if he's not there that they'll probably go for Harvey and if not then Rivers, and if not then Mendenhall or Clady. It might make sense to take a WR, but Kelly is not a top ten pick. Cincy's list of worries has QB and WR at the bottom.

BlindSite
04-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Anyone else here thinking trade down?

Ellis, Rivers, Cromartie, Clady are all expected to come off the board at or around that area.

XPetey
04-06-2008, 07:19 PM
I think Cincy wants Ellis but if he's not there that they'll probably go for Harvey and if not then Rivers, and if not then Mendenhall or Clady. It might make sense to take a WR, but Kelly is not a top ten pick. Cincy's list of worries has QB and WR at the bottom.

QB is at the bottom but WR is for sure a need with TJ in his last year and Chris Henry gone.

DeathbyStat
04-06-2008, 08:15 PM
I really hope the bungles are dumb enough to take this kelly kid who is allready broken down instead of a stud like Ellis, Dorsey or Rivers.

MetSox17
04-06-2008, 08:16 PM
I really hope the bungles are dumb enough to take this kelly kid who is allready broken down instead of a stud like Ellis, Dorsey or Rivers.

lol yeah, Carson Palmer would demand a trade right after.
Anyone know how many years he has left on his deal?
Cause i'd sure wanna get the heck out of there ASAP.

LonghornsLegend
04-07-2008, 06:22 AM
Like he said, though, Johnson's cap figure makes the trade pretty much impossible. The Bengals aren't exactly rolling around in cash, and I really don't think Mike Brown is going to just give Chad Johnson $8 million. Remember, we're not just talking about salary cap ramifications, we're also talking about cold hard cash that the Bengals would owe to Johnson. The only way I see him getting traded is if he offers to forgo the bonus money the team still owes him and work out a new deal with whatever team he goes to, a la Lavar Arrington. And if he wants out of Cinci that badly, then that's exactly what he needs to do.

Your probably right, but you would think someone, maybe Chad's agent would of explain all this to him before he got caught up in the idea of voicing his opinion on getting traded, but I wasnt sure of anything thats why originally I said they might need to trade someone and questioned if it would be Chad.

Honestly I think Jerome Simpson is a better fit for them over Malcolm Kelly personally, and could be had later where value for a WR fits them better.

Why the Bengals
04-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I am praying the Bengals are doing this b/c they think ellis will be gone and that other teams may want to trade up to select kelly before Buffalo and others. If they pick Kelly with the 9th pick and ellis is still there I will strart the Marvin must go chant. Instead of being excited for what the Bengals are going to do I am growing deathly afraid of the stupidly they might display come draft day.
As for trading back into Round 1 and give up other picks WHY?? We need defense starters and depth screw the O for now and worry about that terrible defense. Draft as many d players as possible and field a respectable d. Maybe than the Bengals can get to the payoffs and win some important games

Saints67
04-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Seems like a big-time SMOKE-SCREEN to me...

Their probably saying that so my Saints don't trade up and take Ellis.

ChezPower4
04-07-2008, 03:01 PM
I don't think that any reciever is going to go in the top 10 this year. But that is what i thought last year too...

I_C_DeadPeople
04-07-2008, 03:12 PM
The Bengals are so cheap they would not spend money on a smoke screen.

ThePudge
04-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Probably not a smoke screen, but could very well be an option if the Bengals trade up in the 2nd. Wouldn't be surprised to see the team send away a 2009 pick to clean up the mess in place now. Marvin Lewis is kind of on the hot seat right now and there's pressure on him to win games this year and go to the playoffs.

AkiliSmith
04-07-2008, 03:42 PM
The Bengals are so cheap they would not spend money on a smoke screen.

Yeah, because Carson is not a top 2 paid QB, Chad's not a top paid receiver, and Levi Jones and Willie Anderson aren't paid a ridiculous amount of money.

You know the Bengals actually spent 2 million over the cap last season?

Stop making clueless generalizations.

LonghornsLegend
04-07-2008, 04:08 PM
ESPN's Todd McShay reports the Bengals have informed Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly that they're interested in him.

McShay speculates that the Bengals are smokescreening and hope to trade down, while John Clayton says the interest is "valid." Kelly will work out for the first time this offseason Wednesday. Following the release of Chris Henry, the Bengals may very well use a pick in the top three rounds on a receiver.

per rotoworld...just in case someone missed it.

TheBuffaloBills
04-07-2008, 06:50 PM
I don't think that any reciever is going to go in the top 10 this year. But that is what i thought last year too...

You didnt think Calvin Johnson was going to go top ten?

I_C_DeadPeople
04-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah, because Carson is not a top 2 paid QB, Chad's not a top paid receiver, and Levi Jones and Willie Anderson aren't paid a ridiculous amount of money.

You know the Bengals actually spent 2 million over the cap last season?

Stop making clueless generalizations.

They have the least number of scouts by far of any NFL team. I am not talking about cap money, I am talking about all other organizational expenses. They are well known for their thrifty ways.

ThePudge
04-07-2008, 10:58 PM
They don't use many scouts because so much is based on evaluations from their coaching staff, which is certainly a fair method because talent that fits the system is more focused upon instead of just raw talent catching a scout's eye.

I_C_DeadPeople
04-08-2008, 08:27 AM
FYI - I am a Bengals fan, but the coaches as scouts analogy makes little sense. They use their coaches as scouts because Mike Brown is cheap. And the problem going back to 1990 with the 'coaches as scouts' theory is he often hired crappy coaches. The Bengals organization has always been kind of a a hodge-podge. They never settle on a solid set of coaches and systems and therefore never draft players for that system. For the last few years they have been a passing team primarily, now Marvin Lewis says they want to go back to power running. Yet, if the team is about power running why draft Kenny Irons and Chris Perry? Same on D - for the first few years under lewis they drafted smaller quicker LB's like Caleb Miller and Landon Johnson. Yet they refused to go get to big DT's to help the smaller LB's. Marvin preached team speed but wasted a 2nd round pick on Ratliff who is not even fast enough for Cover 2.

Good organizations start form the top. Create a solid system and find players that fit that system. Unfortunately the Bengals have never done that.