PDA

View Full Version : Breakout Sophmores of 08?

saintsfan912
04-06-2008, 09:34 PM
So who will be the breakout sophs this season? If they already had a great freshman year, they do not qualify. IE Joe McKnight, Michael Crabtree, ect.

After LSU's spring game I'll have to go with Richard Murphy. 145 yards rushing 2 TDs and a 50+ yard receiving TD.

Chad Jones should breakout too. Played real well in the small amount of time he had last year. Gonna be a monster starting at safety this season.

princefielder28
04-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Central Michigan WR Antonio Brown

Solomon
04-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Carlos Dunlap is poised for a breakthrough year.

04-06-2008, 10:19 PM
The Cal duo of Kevin Riley & Jahvid Best.

georgiafan
04-06-2008, 10:24 PM
The same two players I talked about in the other thread for UGA LB Rennie Curran and S Rashard Jones.

America
04-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Vondrell McGee out of Texas. He's probably the only guy on the roster who can handle a full load. He's a great inside and short yardage runner, and will most likely rack up the TD numbers being the number 1 guy. He's not nearly as explosive as Charles, but he'll get his carries and churn up the yardage.

bigbenn
04-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Martez Wilson, Josh Brent, Arrelious Benn (You haven't seen anything yet wait until his shoulder is healed) with other Illinois notables such as Miami Thomas and Brian Gamble. Travon Bellamy as well but he is a '06 recruit who redshirted this past year after hurting himself in the preseason.

keylime_5
04-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Thaddeus Gibson to be sure.

Sniper
04-07-2008, 09:40 AM
For Michigan, I'd say CB Donovan Warren. He was on pretty much every freshman All-American team last year. He's an outstanding man to man corner and has been lights out in spring practice.

Other candidates for Michigan include SLB/MLB Obi Ezeh who is only in his second year as a LB but did pretty well when thrust into duty at MLB last year. Also, receivers Toney Clemons and Junior Hemingway have a lot of potential and could be gamebreakers on O with a decent QB/OL.

YAYareaRB
04-07-2008, 09:45 AM
The Cal duo of Kevin Riley & Jahvid Best.

I'll second that.. Jahvid Best is a beast!

sprawwl
04-07-2008, 10:38 AM
keep an eye out for Chris Rainey, RB at UF. He's a little bitty guy (5'9" maybe), but I saw him play in HS and he's the fastest thing I've ever seen. Might be better than Harvin. Was hurt last year, but could wind up the starter this time.

Don Vito
04-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I think Ole Miss LB Chris Strong will have a great year. Was a big time LB recruit but Orgeron had him gain 30 pounds to play UT for reasons unknown, now he is down to 240 and is slated to start at SLB.

katnip
04-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Isn't Oklahoma's DeMarco Murray technically a sophomore?

Santonio10
04-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Stephon Green-Actually a RS Frosh, but he's technically a sophomore

Sniper
04-07-2008, 01:05 PM
keep an eye out for Chris Rainey, RB at UF. He's a little bitty guy (5'9" maybe), but I saw him play in HS and he's the fastest thing I've ever seen. Might be better than Harvin. Was hurt last year, but could wind up the starter this time.

Faster? Maybe. Better? Not a chance.

toonsterwu
04-07-2008, 02:50 PM
There isn't much at UVA. At best, I'd go with Ras-I Dowling or Sean Gottschalk. Gottschalk is supposedly around 290, although he's out this spring.

ammandss
04-07-2008, 03:24 PM
There isn't much at UVA. At best, I'd go with Ras-I Dowling or Sean Gottschalk. Gottschalk is supposedly around 290, although he's out this spring.

Peter Lalich!!! Gotta have hope. I'll add TE Joe Torchia.

Cigaro
04-07-2008, 03:52 PM
I'll name so South Carolina candidates:

Weslye Saunders
Cliff Matthews
Ladi Aijiboye
Kenrick Ellis
Chris Smelley
Dion Lecorn
Chris Culliver

All of these players showed flashes of great skills last season. If I had to bank on one player, it'd be Weslye Saunders, because he is a physical beast and has caught everything in practice.

Cliff Matthews is now back at his natural end position, and supposedly has the quickest first step of any of our lineman. Ladi Aijiboye started most of our games last year at defensive tackle.

He does just fine at run support, but he can pass rush better than many other tackles. Kenrick Ellis is just a pure beast. Didn't play much because of his weight, but once he finally got the start against Clemson, he just dominated. Like a plus size Glenn Dorsey almost.

With Garcia missing most pre-season practice and possibly transferring, Chris Smelley has a good chance at starting this season. This is his third year in the system(redshirted first year), and actually played decent last year in his starts last year.

Dion Lecorn already half-way broke out during the last half of last season. Plays like Hines Ward. A reliable receiver who can make plays, but is also a great blocker.

Chris Culliver moved back from wide receiver to his natural safety spot, so he may earn some time there in passing situations. But if he breakouts this year, it will be because of his return ability. He boasts blazing fast speed and almost took it to the house a couple times last year, and now we've got one of the best special teams coaches in the game. I can definately see some of his almost touchdowns turn into actual touchdowns.

kwilk103
04-07-2008, 03:58 PM
noel devine, lb jt thomas, lb pat lazear, wr brandon hogan, te will johnson

devine---everyone knows about him, not sure if he qualifies as a breakout player

thomas---rssoph; supposed to start last year, got in trouble, and never got out of rod's doghouse; described by coach stew as a 'heat-seeking missle'

lazear---beast coming out of hs; did good on st last year; wont start, but will be the #1 back-up at both wlb/slb; will get plenty of playing time

hogan---#1 slot receiver; looked real good in the scrimmage and passes; goin to replace reynaud; had 6 catches 67 yds in the scrimmage on sat, including a 24 yd reception on a post route

johnson---converted from wr to t.e.; came in at 191lbs, now up to 220lbs after 1 year in the weight room; hopes to get up to 235; has 4.5 speed; after only playin te for 2 days had a couple of catches in the scrimmage, including one for 26yds

SMoore
04-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Stephon Green-Actually a RS Frosh, but he's technically a sophomore

Good pick, that's my vote, apperently he's lighting up spring practice
I was dissapointed he was redshirted last year, he was getting a lot of praise for his speed then too

Brent
04-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Jerrod Johnson, if he can win the starting spot in Spring Ball.

JT Jag
04-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Rolando McClain.

Watch out for a 120-tackle, 10 TFL year from him.

brat316
04-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Temple

James Nixon-rb
Dyrl Robinson-cb

draftguru151
04-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Rolando McClain.

Watch out for a 120-tackle, 10 TFL year from him.

Can't wait for him to be draft eligible. 6-4 255, great athlete. One of my favorite freshman.

Trinton Sturdivant was on most freshman lists at OT, he should get some more national recognition. Greg Jones had a really nice year at LB from Michigan State. Jonathan Dwyer should be the main back at GT and should have a good year. Anthony Barnes (LB) and Morgan Burnett (CB) are two other guys at GT that could have big years.

JT Jag
04-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Can't wait for him to be draft eligible. 6-4 255, great athlete. One of my favorite freshman.

Trinton Sturdivant was on most freshman lists at OT, he should get some more national recognition. Greg Jones had a really nice year at LB from Michigan State. Jonathan Dwyer should be the main back at GT and should have a good year. Anthony Barnes (LB) and Morgan Burnett (CB) are two other guys at GT that could have big years.He's actually down to 245 now, and he's even faster.

He's a freak. Alabama seems to be developing a good tradition for producing LBs.

The question for teams at the next level will be not whether he can play inside in any defense (because he can)... but if he warrents looks as a 3-4 OLB too.

JagHombre22
04-07-2008, 11:33 PM
for the Gators

CB Joe Haden
TE Aaron Hernandez
LB Brandon Hicks

Unbiased
04-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Morgan Burnett, Georgia Tech
Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State
Vonzell McDowell, Washington
Greg Jones, Michigan State

Unbiased
04-09-2008, 03:47 PM
for the Gators

LB Brandon Hicks

Excellent pick.

toonsterwu
04-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Peter Lalich!!! Gotta have hope. I'll add TE Joe Torchia.

It's not that I don't have hope on Lalich. It's that I don't expect him to put up huge numbers. We're going to pound the ball early and often, considering the new interior of the OL and that Peerman/Simpson are both back, do a lot of short dumpoffs as usual, with Simpson as a receiving threat. As for Torchia, with Phillips in front and an improved WR core, just not sure he'll put up enough numbers to "break out". Maybe just an issue of semantics.