PDA

View Full Version : Keith Rivers

Who Dat Nation
04-07-2008, 11:03 AM
"Great linebackers have worn it and made it proud," Rivers said. "It's kind of a club of guys."

Better add Rivers to the list. He not only was one of the top defenders in the nation last season; he was the best linebacker anywhere, named to All-American and All-Pac-10 first teams despite being handicapped by a sore ankle.

Rivers is quick. He's fast. He's a reliable tackler. He's instinctive. He's outstanding in pass coverage. He works hard. He hits hard. And he's versatile, playing all three linebacker positions at the Senior Bowl practices.

More important, he lived up to his number.

"When I got it," said Rivers, "they sent out (a notice) to all the other 55s and let them know a new person was going to be wearing it because it hadn't been worn in years. I was honored to have it and tried my best to live up to it."

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10759809

The Judge definitely likes him. I'm not sold, I think he will probably go a lot higher than he should.

How do you see him at the next level?

I think he will be a good Weak side Linebacker, but I dont see him being special. I think the top LBs in the last 3 or 4 years have all been better than him.

Thoughts...

Scott Wright
04-07-2008, 11:11 AM
I like Rivers a lot. For me he looked to be on a whole different level from the other linebackers at the Senior Bowl. He looked like a natural.

He actually reminds me a lot of Derrick Johnson, who was a mid-first rounder, and I think that is where Rivers will ultimately come out value-wise for me. Will the Top 10 be a slight reach? Probably. However for me he is without question the top linebacker in this draft.

Flyboy
04-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Good to hear that you're a fan of him, Scott. Many Saint fans are cringing at the thought of us selecting Rivers at ten and consider him an overrated prospect. Now, I could see wanting to take DRC or McKelvin at 10 and adding LB help in the second such as Curtis Lofton but if Ellis & Dorsey are both gone before ten (which I fully expect them to be), I'd be thrilled if we selected Rivers. Pairing him with a healthy Vilma (*knocks on wood*) would be great.

Addict
04-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Good to hear that you're a fan of him, Scott. Many Saint fans are cringing at the thought of us selecting Rivers at ten and consider him an overrated prospect. Now, I could see wanting to take DRC or McKelvin at 10 and adding LB help in the second such as Curtis Lofton but if Ellis & Dorsey are both gone before ten (which I fully expect them to be), I'd be thrilled if we selected Rivers. Pairing him with a healthy Vilma (*knocks on wood*) would be great.

Well the saints did add a boatload of LB's (Morgan and Vilma being the biggest names) already, and they need help at corner. I'm assuming they'll jump all over DRC.

Solomon
04-07-2008, 11:43 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10759809

The Judge definitely likes him. I'm not sold, I think he will probably go a lot higher than he should.

How do you see him at the next level?

I think he will be a good Weak side Linebacker, but I dont see him being special. I think the top LBs in the last 3 or 4 years have all been better than him.

Thoughts...

I definitly have to disagree with his assesment of "the best linebacker anywhere" last year. J Leman, Dan Connor, James Laurinaitis and Jordan Dizon all had better seasons from a college perspective. He has the best tools of any LB in the draft though and is more suited to take his game to the next level but frankly I don't see him as a better prospect than Derrick Johnson or DJ Williams when they came out and they weren't top 14 picks.

Flyboy
04-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Well the saints did add a boatload of LB's (Morgan and Vilma being the biggest names) already, and they need help at corner. I'm assuming they'll jump all over DRC.

Counting on Dan Morgan to last a full season?

Lawlz.

Addict
04-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Counting on Dan Morgan to last a full season?

Lawlz.

touché... that means you've got a point

A Perfect Score
04-07-2008, 12:29 PM
I definitly have to disagree with his assesment of "the best linebacker anywhere" last year. J Leman, Dan Connor, James Laurinaitis and Jordan Dizon all had better seasons from a college perspective. He has the best tools of any LB in the draft though and is more suited to take his game to the next level but frankly I don't see him as a better prospect than Derrick Johnson or DJ Williams when they came out and they weren't top 14 picks.

yes, but he is on par with ernie sims as a prospect, as we have all seen, if a team falls in love with a player early on, then it wont stop them from reaching for him...i can see rivers to NE at 7 if push came to shove, i dont like the fit though im just saying...also, cincy and NO have to be possible landing destinations for him...

losabio
04-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I like Rivers a lot. For me he looked to be on a whole different level from the other linebackers at the Senior Bowl. He looked like a natural.

Thanks for the impressions! (Oh, and for this awesome site.) Aside from Rivers' stats, I find myself quite impressed with some of the interviews I've read from the guy. He seems like he's conscious and aware of the responsibilities of being a team leader, and it sounds like he's a good locker room guy to have around. Between the height/weight/speed numbers, the leadership, and big-program background, Rivers definitely has the look of a Payton first rounder.

Rivers would be Morgan's understudy, assuming he could unseat the LB demigod that is Scott Shanle.

Flyboy
04-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Jesus Christ, Saint fans are coming out of the woodwork! Ahhh! I'm not used to this!

Anyhow, I think if drafted at 10 by us Rivers would instantly be a starter over Morgan/Shanle. Payton isn't afraid of starting rookies (Evans, Colston & Harper) and I would assume our lineup would be Rivers/Vilma/Fujita. I just soiled myself.

katnip
04-07-2008, 12:46 PM
I see him getting like 130-150 tackles. Assuming he gets the starting nod right away and stays relatively healthy. I mean our own (Jets) David Harris got around 130 tackles and didn't start until after a few weeks.

Scott Wright
04-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Any team would be crazy to count on Dan Morgan.

CC.SD
04-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Any team would be crazy to count on Dan Morgan.

Very true as always Scott, but you can't completely ignore the fact that the guys a playmaker when he's not concussed. It's a gamble that while it probably won't mean much, could pay off big.

I think Rivers will be a beast wherever he goes, but the top defensive tackles would be a much better fit for NO in my opinion. I don't know if drafting a raw corner like DRC (even though I'm a huge fan) is the right step for a franchise that in all honesty needs to be trying to get to the Super Bowl with the kind of offensive talent they've assembled.

ChezPower4
04-07-2008, 01:00 PM
I think that Keith Rivers is the best LB in this class but i don't think that he is as good as the other top LBs from past two LB classes. I don't think that he is as good as A.J Hawk, Ernie Simms or Patrick Willis. I do think that he will be a very good starter in the NFL for many years though.

Flyboy
04-07-2008, 01:03 PM
I think Rivers will be a beast wherever he goes, but the top defensive tackles would be a much better fit for NO in my opinion. I don't know if drafting a raw corner like DRC (even though I'm a huge fan) is the right step for a franchise that in all honesty needs to be trying to get to the Super Bowl with the kind of offensive talent they've assembled.

Without question, adding Dorsey or Ellis is our top priority in the draft but I just don't see it being a realistic possibility unless we were to trade up with either Baltimore or New England. Could it happen? Yes, but I think that either Rivers will be our choice or a top offensive prospect.

CC.SD
04-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Without question, adding Dorsey or Ellis is our top priority in the draft but I just don't see it being a realistic possibility unless we were to trade up with either Baltimore or New England. Could it happen? Yes, but I think that either Rivers will be our choice or a top offensive prospect.

Would you be opposed to giving NE a third rounder to get up to seven and ensure Ellis? The Elvii have got to be looking to trade down.

Scott Wright
04-07-2008, 01:07 PM
If I were the Saints I would have no problem parting with #10 and my 3rd rounder to get up to #7 (which is what it would cost) for Sedrick Ellis.

CC.SD
04-07-2008, 01:08 PM
If I were the Saints I would have no problem parting with #10 and my 3rd rounder to get up to #7 (which is what it would cost) for Sedrick Ellis.

What can I say Scott, I like the way you think. :D

Geo
04-07-2008, 01:11 PM
The Chiefs would probably jump at that deal if the Saints offered the 10th overall pick and their 3rd round pick. That's a bit too much imo to give up for the 7th overall pick, whatever the outdated value chart says, but the Saints have already given up their 4th round pick this year in the Jon Vilma trade.

CC.SD
04-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Jonathan Sullivan might be a factor in any Saints tradeup as well, now that I think about it.

Who Dat Nation
04-07-2008, 01:14 PM

Agreed. I wish we could get to Dorsey though!

katnip
04-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Jonathan Sullivan might be a factor in any Saints tradeup as well, now that I think about it.

About to ask about that. Saints might have nightmares thinking about when they drafted Sullivan.

Flyboy
04-07-2008, 01:31 PM

I really doubt it. I have a feeling that the Saints covet both USC prospects and with Ellis providing more need will lean in his direction regardless of the whole Sully debacle.

lordquas
04-07-2008, 04:31 PM
heres a toss up. whos the better prospect keith rivers or dj williams? you can argue for both but dj is just a notch above rivers in my book

diabsoule
04-07-2008, 04:35 PM
I would wet myself if we drafted Rivers. He's the main player I want outside of Dorsey and Ellis and feel that he would complete our LB corps w/ Fujita and Vilma.

SaintsMan
04-07-2008, 04:44 PM
I would even use my 2nd to trade up. We need Dorsey or Ellis.

Rivers would be a huge disappointment.

Addict
04-07-2008, 05:02 PM
I would even use my 2nd to trade up. We need Dorsey or Ellis.

Rivers would be a huge disappointment.

Getting the top linebacker is a disappointment? Either you're very very stupid or very very cocky.

Flyboy
04-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Getting the top linebacker is a disappointment? Either you're very very stupid or very very cocky.

Don't mind him, he's been bashing Rivers since Day One.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-07-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm a big Rivers fan. I like him at least as much as I liked Ernie Sims, probably more so because Rivers is so much more versatile and notably more disciplined.

SaintsMan
04-07-2008, 07:40 PM

I just think we could get a better player at 10. I would rather not reach for KR.

Flyboy
04-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Who would be a better defensive player at ten rather than Rivers?

SaintsMan
04-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Who would be a better defensive player at ten rather than Rivers?

I like Mayo, Connor and Lofton more than Rivers. The thing is none are worth a top 15 pick imo. I would be happy with McKelvin or Cromartie at 10 but I think the best value is going to be at OT and RB. A trade down would be a good option also.

vidae
04-07-2008, 09:56 PM
The Chiefs would probably jump at that deal if the Saints offered the 10th overall pick and their 3rd round pick. That's a bit too much imo to give up for the 7th overall pick, whatever the outdated value chart says, but the Saints have already given up their 4th round pick this year in the Jon Vilma trade.

I don't think any Chiefs fan would be upset if this happened. Move back to 10, take Albert or Clady and get an extra 3rd.

Flyboy
04-07-2008, 09:59 PM
I like Mayo, Connor and Lofton more than Rivers. The thing is none are worth a top 15 pick imo. I would be happy with McKelvin or Cromartie at 10 but I think the best value is going to be at OT and RB. A trade down would be a good option also.

To each their own. I rather take Rivers at 10 and select a CB or DT in the second round.

bitonti
04-08-2008, 03:21 PM
if the DT aren't there, it's not crazy that CIN takes Rivers and it's not an issue for NO.

A Perfect Score
04-08-2008, 05:09 PM
if the DT aren't there, it's not crazy that CIN takes Rivers and it's not an issue for NO.

cincy wont take rivers...their main problem with their LB last year wasnt that they were bad, they just werent on the field...when healthy, they have odell thurman (who should be reinstated), ahmad brooks, and several other promising young players....they really dont need a LB. they do however need a DT, and a RB, and interior depth on the oline. I think all of those positions take precedence over LB for cincy at this point. and also, its rumoured that cincy may be going 3-4, and its a virtual lock that rivers cant play in a 3-4. so again, dosnt make much sense to me.

Big_Pete
04-08-2008, 09:41 PM
I could see Rivers slipping on draft day, that is not to say he is a bad prospect in any way.

River is ideally suited imho to 4-3 WLB; if you are after any other LB, there are likely to be better options. This immediately limits his potential suitors.

Secondly, the LB class is extremely deep this year. I think many teams who will wait until the 2nd and 3rd round to get a LB and address other needs in the 1st round.

The bottom line is that on draft day QB, RB, WR, OT, DT, DE, CB (and 3-4 OLB) tend to be teams priorities on draft day.

There are three stud 3-4 OLBs (Gholston, Groves and Avril), I can't see them realistically slipping into the 2nd round, they will push traditional other LBs down a little.

I also think Connor and Mayo could both go before Rivers, as they are better fits for many systems.

There is no way Rivers falls outside the 1st, but he may go alot lower than people are suggesting.