PDA

View Full Version : Workout Warrior

swordman
04-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Hi,

just a quick question
We all know that every year there is some workout warrior that run/jump/bench his way in the first round and end up drafted way higher than where he sould be
We all know that workout warriors often disappoint in the NFL

My question is:

Was there ever a workout warrior that lived up to the hype??

katnip
04-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Wasn't Shawne Merriman a workout warrior? Never payed attention to him.

Addict
04-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Wasn't Shawne Merriman a workout warrior? Never payed attention to him.

I think he just confirmed he was a freak.

Flyboy
04-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi,

just a quick question
We all know that every year there is some workout warrior that run/jump/bench his way in the first round and end up drafted way higher than where he sould be
We all know that workout warriors often disappoint in the NFL

My question is:

Was there ever a workout warrior that lived up to the hype??

Mario Williams?

katnip
04-07-2008, 12:40 PM
The thread starter didn't even mention him.

ChezPower4
04-07-2008, 01:16 PM
He was the number 1 pick but Mario Williams was a workout Warrior. His workout numbers are sick for someone his size and he so far has done well for himself in the NFL

ammandss
04-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Dwight Freeney (the workout warrior who is amazing)
Mario Williams
Adam Archuleta (was decent for a few years)
Michael Boulware (not a bust)
Boss Bailey

Then again, I do remember a lot of busts too. While we are on the topic, is Mike Mamula the original "Workout Warrior" bust? Or for that matter, the first person to be termed the "Workout Warrior" or does that pre-date him?

losabio
04-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Brian Urlacher

toonsterwu
04-07-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure I would consider Mario or Merriman workout warriors. Mario was considered a top pick pre-workouts, and Merriman was drafted around the range people expected pre-workouts as well.

Thunder&Lightning
04-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Sometimes I do not agree with the term "workout warrior"... All players that are going on to the NFL are workout warriors. They all put the time and effort in so that they can be ready for the strenuous game of football. Some just look more defined than others mainly because of their body type. The #'s dont lie I know they are reflected on by there work ethic but part of it is athleticism too. Bottom line everyone in the draft is a "workout warrior" IMO.

Addict
04-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Sometimes I do not agree with the term "workout warrior"... All players that are going on to the NFL are workout warriors. They all put the time and effort in so that they can be ready for the strenuous game of football. Some just look more defined than others mainly because of their body type. The #'s dont lie I know they are reflected on by there work ethic but part of it is athleticism too. Bottom line everyone in the draft is a "workout warrior" IMO.

Actually, workout warrior is a term defined as a player who didn't really produce in college who has a huge combine or pro day workout, resulting in a higher draft pick than his college career warrants. Take Chris Henry from last year, he didn't do much of anything in college, but had some very impressive workout numbers and was drafted in the second round.

Essentially, workout warriors are guys who have all the right measurables and triangle numbers, but did not produce (significantly) in the college ranks. It's pretty specific if you ask me.

Thunder&Lightning
04-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Actually, workout warrior is a term defined as a player who didn't really produce in college who has a huge combine or pro day workout, resulting in a higher draft pick than his college career warrants. Take Chris Henry from last year, he didn't do much of anything in college, but had some very impressive workout numbers and was drafted in the second round.

Essentially, workout warriors are guys who have all the right measurables and triangle numbers, but did not produce (significantly) in the college ranks. It's pretty specific if you ask me.

I think it is thrown around to much... Just because you can look a player up on google images and see that he he ripped doesnt mean he is a "workout warrior".

Addict
04-07-2008, 02:12 PM
I think it is thrown around to much... Just because you can look a player up on google images and see that he he ripped doesnt mean he is a "workout warrior".

... did you even read my post?

Thunder&Lightning
04-07-2008, 02:14 PM
... did you even read my post?

yes, I just dont think people realize what exactly a workout warrior is...

Woody56
04-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Mario had 15 sacks his last at NC State, he was not a workout warrior.

FinChase
04-07-2008, 04:05 PM
I think Demarcus Ware was regarded as something of a workout warrior. Two Pro Bowls in three years for him now.

skinzzfan25
04-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Vernon Davis, Merriman, Dre Moore.

Maryland is workout warrior heaven.

DeathbyStat
04-07-2008, 04:26 PM

Make room for Heyward BAy

lordquas
04-07-2008, 04:30 PM
i think boss bailey is considered a bust. he hasn't done much in detroit but im interested to see if he can turn it around in denver

MetSox17
04-07-2008, 05:23 PM
i think boss bailey is considered a bust. he hasn't done much in detroit but im interested to see if he can turn it around in denver

I believe he said people that went in the first round.
And besides, Bailey before his workouts was already ranked in the Top 3 or 4 LB's along with E.J Henderson who for a while seemed like a busted pick.
He was a 2nd rounder as well.

I'd go with Brodrick Bunkley. I don't think I had heard of him before a lot of
draft talk, then he went and lifted 225 like 42 times or something.

I_C_DeadPeople
04-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Was Tony Mandrich a WW?

Solomon
04-08-2008, 12:21 AM
I believe he said people that went in the first round.
And besides, Bailey before his workouts was already ranked in the Top 3 or 4 LB's along with E.J Henderson who for a while seemed like a busted pick.
He was a 2nd rounder as well.

I'd go with Brodrick Bunkley. I don't think I had heard of him before a lot of
draft talk, then he went and lifted 225 like 42 times or something.

Bunkley had 9 sacks and 25 (!) tackles for loss as a senior, his workouts definitly improved his stock but he had the production to back it up.

Nnamdi Ashomugha was kinda a workout warrior who turned out a success. He was productive in college but he came from a small school was making a position change and was a relative unknown until he ran a 4.45 40 at 6ft 2 and 213 lbs.

doingthisinsteadofwork
04-08-2008, 12:37 AM
I dont really get how Nnamdi was a small school guy.He may not have played on the best team but he played in the Pac Ten against some good competition.

Solomon
04-08-2008, 12:49 AM
I dont really get how Nnamdi was a small school guy.He may not have played on the best team but he played in the Pac Ten against some good competition.

You're completely right. For some reason I thought he had played at Cal-Poly.

Other guys that were kinda workout warriors that have succeeded include Antonio Cromartie, Jon Joseph and Ben Watson.

SenorGato
04-08-2008, 01:36 AM
DeMarcus Ware is way more the workout warrior than Merriman was IMO...people knew Merriman was a beast but Ware's workout was just disgusting and moved him up big time.

thebow305
04-08-2008, 01:49 AM
Merriman, and if he can ever stay healthy, Manny Lawson.

thebow305
04-08-2008, 01:51 AM

Also known as Steroid-Land... :)

You forgot about Josh Wilson, he had a pretty nice workout at well.

kmartin575
04-08-2008, 02:16 AM
Dwight Freeney (the workout warrior who is amazing)
Mario Williams
Adam Archuleta (was decent for a few years)
Michael Boulware (not a bust)
Boss Bailey

Then again, I do remember a lot of busts too. While we are on the topic, is Mike Mamula the original "Workout Warrior" bust? Or for that matter, the first person to be termed the "Workout Warrior" or does that pre-date him?

Pretty sure Boss Bailey has been a bust. And I don't know how Michael Boulware is not a bust. He has been a failure at safety from what I can tell.

kmartin575
04-08-2008, 02:18 AM
Bunkley had 9 sacks and 25 (!) tackles for loss as a senior, his workouts definitly improved his stock but he had the production to back it up.

Nnamdi Ashomugha was kinda a workout warrior who turned out a success. He was productive in college but he came from a small school was making a position change and was a relative unknown until he ran a 4.45 40 at 6ft 2 and 213 lbs.

Asomugha went to California, not exactly a small school.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw somebody already mentioned this.