PDA

View Full Version : Dan Connor to the Giants?

thebow305
04-08-2008, 01:48 AM
Just out of curiosity, is there any Giants fans out there that actually WANT Dan Connor?

Most seem to hate that pick and I just don't understand it, he's a very good player, at a position of need, and at a great value at that point in the draft. So what's the problem?

NotoriousT
04-08-2008, 03:16 AM
It's not much of a need at all really and he doesn't fit our scheme. We have Pierce in the middle who's not going anywhere, Kiwi at SAM who was improving dramatically before his injury, and Wilkinson who has a ton of potential and who has been in our system. He stepped in during the Pats game and played beautifully and although that's a small sample size, the talent is there. He was looking like he was going to start over Kawika in training camp but hurt his knee and by the time he was 100% again, Kawika had already started producing and it would have been dumb to try and fix what wasn't broken.

The coaching staff has faith in Wilkinson as well, evidenced by the fact they allowed Kawika to take a pretty small contract that they most likely could have matched, not to mention signing him to a 1 year 1 million dollar deal in the first place. Wilk also fits our scheme better as he's much more athletic and is better in coverage (how many LBs can run with Moss?).

Torbor wasn't a starter. I read this some places and laugh, wondering where people come up with such garbage. He was a career back-up and not a very good one at that. People also always talk about Strahan retiring and Kiwi moving back to the line. This isn't set in stone. At all. In fact I don't think anyone in the Giants organization has ever suggested such a thing. If Strahan retires, who says we don't keep Kiwi at SAM (where he was doing well) and just draft another DE? It's extremely possible and I don't understand why people find that so difficult to accept.

Cliffs:
-LB is not that big of need
-Connor doesn't really fit our scheme
-We have bigger priorities and could probably get better value with that pick
-We never draft LBs high

ljk2171
04-08-2008, 06:20 AM
I disagree, personally I think Connor is one of the few players in the draft who can fit pretty much any scheme thanks to his versatility. At Penn State, he excelled both inside and outside while being underrated as an athlete. The loss of Mitchell creates a need on the outside and Connor is someone who will be able to pickup Spagnuolo's defense pretty quickly. At this pick, I think Connor, Mayo, Cherilus, and Manningham are all very viable options.

And you asked how many Linebacker can run with Moss.....how about ZERO, about the same number of cornerbacks who can run with him.

eaglesalltheway
04-08-2008, 06:27 AM
I disagree, personally I think Connor is one of the few players in the draft who can fit pretty much any scheme thanks to his versatility. At Penn State, he excelled both inside and outside while being underrated as an athlete. The loss of Mitchell creates a need on the outside and Connor is someone who will be able to pickup Spagnuolo's defense pretty quickly. At this pick, I think Connor, Mayo, Cherilus, and Manningham are all very viable options.

And you asked how many Linebacker can run with Moss.....how about ZERO, about the same number of cornerbacks who can run with him.

I agree that Connor would fit in just about any scheme in a variety of positions, but I agree with the Giants fans in the evaluation that LB is not that big of a need for them.

bitonti
04-08-2008, 06:39 AM
The Giants just don't need Backers enough to take Connor. they need safeties and corners, maybe another guard or tackle.

I think people are projecting Connor to NYG just to keep him in the round. the truth is Connor might be falling out of the first round, he will make a bargain for whichever team takes him. Possible destinations: DET, CIN, NYJ, NE

BigBlueCrew56
04-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Bow I would have to say that the Giants need secondary help more then Dan Connor in that spot. I am crossing my fingers that Kenny Phillips slips through the cracks and ends up in BigBlue.

TheGreatEscape
04-08-2008, 09:21 AM
LB isn't really a huge need and what need we have at the position Connor doesn't fill. We need a WLB with speed and quickness to be good in coverage, a guy who can compete with Wilk and become a quality backup. If Rivers falls to our pick we'd take him in an instant but other than rivers our need at safety and corner is just so much more pronounced. After those two spots we need oline depth, or a high potential LT to add to the mix, a big nose tackle to play on running downs and only then do we really need a LB.

As for Manningham I don't see it, the guy runs terrible routes, has bad hands and is soft, we already have Sinorice Moss so no need for Mario here. Between Plax, toomer, Smith, Tyree/Moss/Jennings and our two tight ends we're good at receiver for now and can wait while filling actual needs this year.

LonghornsLegend
04-08-2008, 09:29 AM
I agree that safety is a bigger need, dajuan morgan would probably be a better pick at 31 then Conner would, but Reggie Smith and Phillips would be great picks also.

I dont understand the Manningham stuff, people hear Mayock and swear it must be something to it, but what good is he on that team with the needs they have? I dont believe Sinorice Moss has played 3 years yet, so I guess we should just write him off as being a good slot WR, Steve Smith came on late at the end of the year, and he hasnt been playing 3 years yet, Plax is still a beast and Toomer is still reliable at his age...Where does this put Manningham? Thats just too early to take a wr at that stage who will take time to develop, it was a horrible pick even when Mayock made it, I would LOVE to hear some kind of lengthy explanation on why he has him going there, because whatever it was it wouldnt make sense.

Turtlepower
04-08-2008, 09:37 AM
IF I had to choose a safety in Round 1 with Smith and Phillips off the board, I would have to go with Tyrell Johnson over Morgan. I see Morgan as too much of a one-year wonder over a very poor offensive ACC.

CC.SD
04-08-2008, 11:05 AM
I read somewhere that THE GIANTS WILL NOT DRAFT DAN CONNOR.

BeerBaron
04-08-2008, 11:40 AM
as a PSU fan who sees pretty much all of their games, i can attest that any team would be better off with a guy like connor. he doesnt miss tackles, could probably play most LB positions and is a great locker room presence and leader on the field.

but i've bought the logic all the long that the giants don't need him. i don't think any giants fan who says that actually thinks hes a bad player (or at least they had better not!) but if other needs can be filled, they should be.

TheGreatEscape
04-08-2008, 02:07 PM
as a PSU fan who sees pretty much all of their games, i can attest that any team would be better off with a guy like connor. he doesnt miss tackles, could probably play most LB positions and is a great locker room presence and leader on the field.

but i've bought the logic all the long that the giants don't need him. i don't think any giants fan who says that actually thinks hes a bad player (or at least they had better not!) but if other needs can be filled, they should be.

I wasat state college two weekends ago for a party and Connor came up around 7 am and my point was that while he's a very good LB the giants have absolutely no need for him because we have much bigger needs at safety and corner and we need an agile cover WLB not a hardnosed tackling machine. So repeat after me THE GIANTS WON'T DRAFT DAN CONNOR!

G-Men88
04-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Found this for you. Should answer your question

http://mvn.com/nfl-giants/2008/04/06/why-the-giants-will-not-take-dan-connor/

Jonny
04-08-2008, 05:09 PM
LB isn't a need, and Connor can't play OLB in our scheme.

brat316
04-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Giants need more Dan Connor they just do....or maybe a WR like Kelly

Big_Pete
04-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Firstly Connor would be a good fit for the Giants system, he could play any of the positions.

I do suspect though, that other positions will be a higher priority on the first round. If a top DB like Antoine Cason, Kenny Phillips or Reggie Smith is available that is more likely.

I think the Giants are more inclined to go with Marcus Howard in the 2nd round if they go with a day 1 LB and let him develop behind Wilkinson, Clark and Kiwanuka. His speed and athleticism behind the DEs will be particularly nasty.

hugegmenfan
04-08-2008, 06:04 PM
The only Linebacker i want 1st round is Keith Rivers- who will most certainly not be there, hes a top 10 pick. CB and S take immediate precedence over OLB. For those that say OLB is our biggest need, do not understand how spags runs his defense and uses our olbs. we do not need round 1, pro bowl caliber outsiders to be successful. look at this past year. i def feel we need depth at the position, i will be the first to say it- but we need players who are more suited to our fast, aggressive, athletic style of defense. jerod mayo is the only ILB that i would consider in the 1st 2 rounds. Curtis Lofton to a degree as well but not as much.

BeerBaron
04-08-2008, 06:33 PM
I wasat state college two weekends ago for a party and Connor came up around 7 am and my point was that while he's a very good LB the giants have absolutely no need for him because we have much bigger needs at safety and corner and we need an agile cover WLB not a hardnosed tackling machine. So repeat after me THE GIANTS WON'T DRAFT DAN CONNOR!

i didnt say they would. did you even read my whole post?

BaLLiN
04-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Dan Connor is purely an ILB for our scheme, period, he wont be able to play WLB at all, and possibly SLB, but i really doubt it because we already have a first round pick there, and moving Kiwi back to DE is unlikey because we already said we have him at SLB this offseason, and we are already set at both DE positions.

Connor can't cover at all IMO, he looked horrible in SB, and he really isnt fast enough for it either; and that was college. He is only decent at blitzing. All we really need out of our linebackers is covering ability and good blitzing. We could find later round players who could fit that bill, and then again its only depth we need.

We have faith in both Kiwi and Wilkerson, and we have Clark for a backup when any LB go down, and are at least 3 deep in everything except WLB. So drafting a LB in the first two or three rounds isnt needed, but depth is needed, and if there was good enough value (keith Rivers in the first, Curtis Lofton in the second) then we would take them, where they also fit our scheme.

Jonny
04-09-2008, 01:41 AM
Firstly Connor would be a good fit for the Giants system, he could play any of the positions.

He isn't. Look at the Philadelphia profile for LBs. That's what we're looking for. Small and quick.