PDA

View Full Version : First of the power rankings out, pre-draft

luee
04-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Some cred to the champs, none for the chefs. Why are the chargers ranked one, Norv Turner? Opinions.

http://www.walterfootball.com/analysis.php

Gay Ork Wang
04-08-2008, 09:52 AM
That is stupid, to even do a ranking before the draft.... Giants didnt do anything last year (maybe signing a LB) and still won the SB

On the bright side, with Brian Griese gone, there will be no quarterback controversy. Then again, you can't have a quarterback controversy if you have no quarterbacks.

Dumb....Orton?

LonghornsLegend
04-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Al Davis: Yawn... it's morning already? How long was I out for?

Assistant: Two years, sir. Do you want to look at the free agent list?

Al Davis: Sure! Whoa! Javon Walker's available!? Let's sign him!

Assistant: Umm... sir, I don't think that's a good idea... See, he's coming off an...

Al Davis: I'm calling up his agent right now! Let's make him such a huge deal that he won't even leave this city without signing! How's a $55 million contract sound?

Assistant: Not too good sir...

Al Davis: You're right! Let's make it $66 million!

Assistant: No sir! Don't do it!!! Noooo!!!!

LMAO :D Now thats good stuff

But pretty pointless to even do it right now....I dont know about having Green bay #5 ahead of us with a QB who has never started a game...yes he could be good, but I wouldnt them in front of good teams with proven qb's already.

art vandelay
04-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Pretty fair assessment of the Bills, right in the middle of the pack.

Nitschke-Hawk
04-08-2008, 10:46 AM
All I have to say is the Al Davis thing is hilarious.

CC.SD
04-08-2008, 10:59 AM
W00t w00t. Can't be denied, a healthy Charger team rolling like it was by the end of last year has a huge chance of taking it all. Thank you, utterly pointless way-too-far-in-advance power ranking!

TitleTown088
04-08-2008, 11:09 AM
He's got a lot of confidence is Aaron Rodgers to put that Packers that hight. I hope he's right.

bigbluedefense
04-08-2008, 12:01 PM
yeah its way too early for one of these. i agree on his assessment of the Giants, our only key departure was Gibril, and our run wasn't just luck.

But disagree with some others. Dallas should be much higher. The biggest addition they made was Zach Thomas. That team desperately needed veteran leadership, particularly on defense, and Thomas brings them just that. Thats huge, every team needs that one guy.

I agree on San Diego as well, but one thing holding me back is, how healthy will Phillip Rivers be starting the season? It took McNabb until week 8/9 before he became himself again. If Rivers has to wait awhile before hes back, i don't like their chances.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-08-2008, 12:16 PM
yeah its way too early for one of these. i agree on his assessment of the Giants, our only key departure was Gibril, and our run wasn't just luck.

But disagree with some others. Dallas should be much higher. The biggest addition they made was Zach Thomas. That team desperately needed veteran leadership, particularly on defense, and Thomas brings them just that. Thats huge, every team needs that one guy.

I agree on San Diego as well, but one thing holding me back is, how healthy will Phillip Rivers be starting the season? It took McNabb until week 8/9 before he became himself again. If Rivers has to wait awhile before hes back, i don't like their chances.

We can fill Wilson's spot with someone else. One thing Spags has showed is his ability to put the best 11 players out there. So if that means putting 3 safties out there when we are in the Dime, then so be it. We'd have 3 safties, Butler, Knight, and Johnson or rookie, and then 3 Cbs and AP at LB. Spag's ability to mix and match and put the best 11 out there regardless of position allows us to overcome some of our "weaknesses."

bigbluedefense
04-08-2008, 12:29 PM
We can fill Wilson's spot with someone else. One thing Spags has showed is his ability to put the best 11 players out there. So if that means putting 3 safties out there when we are in the Dime, then so be it. We'd have 3 safties, Butler, Knight, and Johnson or rookie, and then 3 Cbs and AP at LB. Spag's ability to mix and match and put the best 11 out there regardless of position allows us to overcome some of our "weaknesses."

thats true, but we will still miss him in some ways. Spags runs a lot of nickel strong with 3 safeties, and he loved blitzing one of them. Anytime we're forced to keep James Butler on the field, thats a bad thing. And at the moment our starting safeties are either Knight and Butler, or Knight and Johnson, and we're only 1 deep on the bench in case one of the starting 2 gets injured. While we do put best availabe 11 on the field, we still stay within the general layout of certain packages. Although I can see us come out with 3 CB/1 safety sets. Ive seen us do that before. We might do more of that this year.

Im very confident in Knight playing Gibril's role very well this upcoming year. He's only a shortterm solution however, so we need to find someone in the draft, maybe even 2 guys in case we don't have faith in Johnson developing into a starter.

vidae
04-08-2008, 12:33 PM
I can't say I like what he had to say about the Chiefs but a lot of it was correct. Having said that, most Chiefs fans knew that we wouldn't be targetting many people in free agency so we were already ready for a quiet offseason until the draft.

The line about Herm Edwards ruining LJs career is just stupid though.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-08-2008, 12:38 PM
thats true, but we will still miss him in some ways. Spags runs a lot of nickel strong with 3 safeties, and he loved blitzing one of them. Anytime we're forced to keep James Butler on the field, thats a bad thing. And at the moment our starting safeties are either Knight and Butler, or Knight and Johnson, and we're only 1 deep on the bench in case one of the starting 2 gets injured. While we do put best availabe 11 on the field, we still stay within the general layout of certain packages. Although I can see us come out with 3 CB/1 safety sets. Ive seen us do that before. We might do more of that this year.

Im very confident in Knight playing Gibril's role very well this upcoming year. He's only a shortterm solution however, so we need to find someone in the draft, maybe even 2 guys in case we don't have faith in Johnson developing into a starter.

No spags, was high on Butler, he made all the calls on the field in the secondary according to one of the articles that interviewed Spags this offseason.

Also, we also had Ross as safety couple of times during the superbowl, so while moving him permenanetly is not an option, again the best 11 on that play against a certain formation will be on the field. It's his ability to be that creative is what helps make our defense very efficient.

Mind you each team has their own set of formation they want to use against our defense, and conversly based on what we see on tape of their formations they use against other teams, we will set our personnel accordingly. But whatever an opposing offense may show us, one general line of thinking will be there. That's 11 best on the field. And that's something I really love about spags. He is going to find a way to play guys and if that means putting them in different spots so be it.

bigbluedefense
04-08-2008, 01:16 PM
No spags, was high on Butler, he made all the calls on the field in the secondary according to one of the articles that interviewed Spags this offseason.

Also, we also had Ross as safety couple of times during the superbowl, so while moving him permenanetly is not an option, again the best 11 on that play against a certain formation will be on the field. It's his ability to be that creative is what helps make our defense very efficient.

Mind you each team has their own set of formation they want to use against our defense, and conversly based on what we see on tape of their formations they use against other teams, we will set our personnel accordingly. But whatever an opposing offense may show us, one general line of thinking will be there. That's 11 best on the field. And that's something I really love about spags. He is going to find a way to play guys and if that means putting them in different spots so be it.

We actually had Ross as safety several times during the regular season as well. But everytime you see that, its primarily zone coverage, probably a zone blitz. So while superficially he's playing "safety" its no different from playing zone defense as a CB for him either. We rarely ran that in base formations as well, primarily on obvious passing plays.

Ugh, unfortunately i heard about that, i just hate James Butler. He's terrible. Sammy Knight is also a heady safety so hopefully he'll take over that role as the guy who lines everyone up back there. Then we can use Johnson more, or whoever we draft. Im just not a fan of James Butler at all. Physically, there is nothing he does well at all. Nothing. Its like having 10 guys on the field when he's in there.

JagHombre22
04-08-2008, 01:43 PM
I really think Jerry Porter is going to surprise some people...just a hunch and my opinion, but I think he could have a breakout year.

CC.SD
04-08-2008, 01:55 PM

I actually saw him wandering around Gaslamp District with the fam the other day. He was wearing jeans so I don't know if there's a brace involved or what, but he looked like he was doing okay. He said he'll definitely be back for training camp and he's trying for the mini-camps. I don't know what he's telling the media these days, but I'm expecting him to be 100%.

Shiver
04-08-2008, 02:03 PM
The thing I worry about San Diego is .... LaDainian Tomlinson, shockingly enough. He is going to be 29 years old and has had more touches than just about anyone else. If he slows down, even if he still is productive, that will hurt the San Diego offense.

neko4
04-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Thats my thing with san diego too. But if they keep a good line in front of him I think he should be fine. Or...
They might get caught in an Atlanta Falcons situation. They traded Schaub and then Vick goes to jail. I doubt LT goes to jail, but if he isnt productive next year then all they have behind him is the 190 pound Darren Sproles

Shiver
04-08-2008, 02:18 PM
I think AJ Smith will take a RB fairly early this year. They need to reduce Tomlinson's workload to keep him productive as the years go by.

jth1331
04-08-2008, 02:28 PM
The guy has no clue about the Broncos. While they aren't great, they aren't that bad.
27. Denver Broncos (7-9) - Some might be shocked to see the Broncos ranked so low. Well, they haven't done anything to improve on their 7-9 record. In fact, they've gotten a lot worse. How? Where do I begin?

1Brandon Marshall's hurt. 2Javon Walker's gone. 3Matt Lepsis has retired. 4The offensive tackles are inexperienced. 5The center was horrendous with the Chiefs last year. 6There is still no pass rush. 7There is still no one who can stop the run. 8Boss Bailey sucks. Keary Colbert sucks even more. Jamie Winborn sucks more than both combined. 9D.J. Williams is still playing out of position. 10John Lynch is still starting at 36. 11Jason Elam is a Falcon. 12Chris Myers is a Texan. And Mike Shanahan's face will get more ruddy by the minute.

1. Brandon Marshall will be fine by the start of the regular season
2. Javon Walker hardly played last year and his knees seem to be pretty much shot
3. Lepsis was one of the worst LT's last year because of his injury that he never fully recovered from
4. While he isn't that great, Erik Pears has started 2 straight years. Thats a far cry from being inexperienced. Chris Kuper, the guy who is supposedly in line for a tackle job, started some last year. And besides, inexperience sure didn't hurt the Chargers with their OL now did it?
5. I guess its a good thing Tom Nalen is the starting center then, right? Because Weigman was only signed for veteran depth.
6. Which is why the Broncos spent 3 picks last year on the DL and they are developing the pass rush. Gotta see how Moss, Crowder and Thomas develop. Finally a somewhat true statement though because they do need help in the pass rush.
7. The biggest problem, mainly because the Broncos have no one at DT besides Marcus Thomas.
8. My, what analysis to just say 3 guys suck! Boss might not be the greatest LB, but the Broncos sure as hell aren't expecting him to be a Pro Bowler. Same with Keary Colbert, who will probably be a somewhat decent #2 WR in Denver. Jamie Winborn is a backup, so that comment is stupid to bring up.
9. DJ Williams is going to go back to playing the weak side position, the position he played his rookie year and excelled at.
10. While I believe Lynch should have retired, he can still play effectively when healthy. Nothing great, but he also provides great veteran leadership that hopefully transpires to help develop some youngsters the Broncos have.
11. I hated losing Elam, but **** happens. Maybe the Broncos will get lucky and hit on a rookie kicker though.
12. Meyers was a decent OL, but nothing spectacular. He probably would be a backup if he was still here.

Geo
04-08-2008, 02:37 PM
I think AJ Smith will take a RB fairly early this year. They need to reduce Tomlinson's workload to keep him productive as the years go by.
Well, they didn't reduce Tomlinson's workload when Michael Turner was on the roster, LDT had more than the lion's share in that regard.

Also, Michael Turner was a late 5th round pick in 2004, and Darren Sproles was a late 4th round pick in 2005. I could very well seein them continuing along that trend by waiting until later on and picking someone up this year too, not to mention they've got Germaine Race and maybe someone else on the roster as possible considerations.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-08-2008, 02:37 PM
We actually had Ross as safety several times during the regular season as well. But everytime you see that, its primarily zone coverage, probably a zone blitz. So while superficially he's playing "safety" its no different from playing zone defense as a CB for him either. We rarely ran that in base formations as well, primarily on obvious passing plays.

Ugh, unfortunately i heard about that, i just hate James Butler. He's terrible. Sammy Knight is also a heady safety so hopefully he'll take over that role as the guy who lines everyone up back there. Then we can use Johnson more, or whoever we draft. Im just not a fan of James Butler at all. Physically, there is nothing he does well at all. Nothing. Its like having 10 guys on the field when he's in there.

That's true about Ross, he basically is in zone hanging out there reading # 2 or #3 nothing to fancy.

LOL. Yeah Butler was playing injured as well, and interesting to see how he progresses this year. I'll be interested to see that, now what he had consistent playing time. If he doesn't get any better after this year, I would agree with you, in something has to be done.

LOL. He isn't that bad, he does show some flashes, but i want to see him healthy and play another year before making up my decision on him.

Geo
04-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Giants need to strongly keep an eye on safety this Draft and UDFA afterwards even, they completely suck at the position.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Giants need to strongly keep an eye on safety this Draft and UDFA afterwards even, they completely suck at the position.

While there is need for improvement, I am sure we can hide it with a good pass rush. Hopefully our younger guys can develop, Butler, and Johnson. Knight may not be there physically where he once was, but I am sure he can get the other guys in position to make plays.

Addict
04-08-2008, 03:05 PM
The guy has no clue about the Broncos. While they aren't great, they aren't that bad.

1. Brandon Marshall will be fine by the start of the regular season
2. Javon Walker hardly played last year and his knees seem to be pretty much shot
3. Lepsis was one of the worst LT's last year because of his injury that he never fully recovered from
4. While he isn't that great, Erik Pears has started 2 straight years. Thats a far cry from being inexperienced. Chris Kuper, the guy who is supposedly in line for a tackle job, started some last year. And besides, inexperience sure didn't hurt the Chargers with their OL now did it?
5. I guess its a good thing Tom Nalen is the starting center then, right? Because Weigman was only signed for veteran depth.
6. Which is why the Broncos spent 3 picks last year on the DL and they are developing the pass rush. Gotta see how Moss, Crowder and Thomas develop. Finally a somewhat true statement though because they do need help in the pass rush.
7. The biggest problem, mainly because the Broncos have no one at DT besides Marcus Thomas.
8. My, what analysis to just say 3 guys suck! Boss might not be the greatest LB, but the Broncos sure as hell aren't expecting him to be a Pro Bowler. Same with Keary Colbert, who will probably be a somewhat decent #2 WR in Denver. Jamie Winborn is a backup, so that comment is stupid to bring up.
9. DJ Williams is going to go back to playing the weak side position, the position he played his rookie year and excelled at.
10. While I believe Lynch should have retired, he can still play effectively when healthy. Nothing great, but he also provides great veteran leadership that hopefully transpires to help develop some youngsters the Broncos have.
11. I hated losing Elam, but **** happens. Maybe the Broncos will get lucky and hit on a rookie kicker though.
12. Meyers was a decent OL, but nothing spectacular. He probably would be a backup if he was still here.

wow...there's nothing wrong with the broncos... all is good! Awesome. Good luck on that superbowl run then.

Thunder&Lightning
04-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Happy to see the chargers at #1 but it might be stretching it a little...

nfrillman
04-08-2008, 03:15 PM
This section displays why ranking are dumb right now, and also that this guy has some strange opinions.

"...but the Rams lack a pass rush, dominant linebackers (Brandon Chillar signed with Green Bay) and a second receiver..."

Issues:
The Rams are definitely taking a DE in the 1st or 2nd round.
He seems to be implying that Chillar was dominant.......most definitely not, average/slightly above average.
The Rams have a 2nd WR. I know Drew Bennett isn't spectacular, but for a 2nd WR he is alright. They need a 3rd WR, not a 2nd, and they are taking a WR anyways.

CC.SD
04-08-2008, 03:17 PM
The thing I worry about San Diego is .... LaDainian Tomlinson, shockingly enough. He is going to be 29 years old and has had more touches than just about anyone else. If he slows down, even if he still is productive, that will hurt the San Diego offense.

Shiver, Shiver, Shiver. I give you permission to banish your doubt. LT will beast it up this year, just like always. Not to mention he'll finally have a complete passing attack next to him (Gates, Chambers and Jackson, finally.) and an improved O-line. LT is just too driven to let himself be a weak link, or anything less than the strongest link.

He might be 29 but he's never taken big hits and this is his first real injury, and it's one that he will be completely recovered from.

Crickett
04-08-2008, 03:28 PM
He's got a lot of confidence is Aaron Rodgers to put that Packers that hight. I hope he's right.

Let me just remind people of a couple of things about the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers.

1. Once upon a time, Aaron Rodgers was considered to be a potential first overall pick. FIRST OVERALL!!!!!!
2. In the short amount of playing time Rodgers had this past season, he looked pretty good.
3. What position are the Green Bay Packers weak? Cornerback? I can think of maybe four teams in the NFL with starting cornerbacks as good or better.

People assume that because they went 13-3 with Brett Favre that they can't possibly do that well without him.

CC.SD
04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
r.

People assume that because they went 13-3 with Brett Favre that they can't possibly do that well without him.

Yeah, what is wrong with those people who expect decline when a Hall of Fame living legend QB retires?

I think the Pack will be a good team but I've got the Vikings slotted as the NFC North champions right now, but I go back and forth. I'm just high on Tarvaris Jackson's ability to mature and grow as a QB...and some guy named Adrian Peterson might have something to say.

Shiver
04-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Shiver, Shiver, Shiver. I give you permission to banish your doubt. LT will beast it up this year, just like always. Not to mention he'll finally have a complete passing attack next to him (Gates, Chambers and Jackson, finally.) and an improved O-line. LT is just too driven to let himself be a weak link, or anything less than the strongest link.

He might be 29 but he's never taken big hits and this is his first real injury, and it's one that he will be completely recovered from.

I don't doubt LaDainian Tomlinson's drive. Curtis Martin was the same way, which is why he was productive as long as he was; however, once you hit 29, 30, etc., at the RB position your production takes a hit.

PackerLegend
04-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Dont know when these came out but yahoo.com has had theirs out since March 24.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-rankings032408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

GB12
04-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Some cred to the champs, none for the chefs. Why are the chargers ranked one, Norv Turner? Opinions.

http://www.walterfootball.com/analysis.php
Why the hell should they? You do know they had the third worst record in the league last year

Addict
04-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Yeah, what is wrong with those people who expect decline when a Hall of Fame living legend QB retires?

I think the Pack will be a good team but I've got the Vikings slotted as the NFC North champions right now, but I go back and forth. I'm just high on Tarvaris Jackson's ability to mature and grow as a QB...and some guy named Adrian Peterson might have something to say.

Jackson doesn't even need to be a playmaker, he just needs to NOT mess up. He's got a good O-line, a phenomenal running game and a good bunch of receivers (Berrian/Rice isn't bad). All he needs to do is not f**k up. I'm just hopin he can do that. Essentially if he's not mediocre, Vikes win the division.

Packers will be good, I'm confident Aaron Rodgers is more than able to lead them, however with Lord Favre gone, the passing game will command less respect from defenses, which in turn will put more pressure on Ryan Grant.

In short: the bears are in trouble, a sub-par O-line, Grossman/Orton @ QB, Cedric Benson at RB and their receiving tandem is Lloyd and Booker with the X-Factor being the Devin Hester experiment. Defensively it seems they are still good but that offense will just KILL that defense.

The Lions, well not much there either. Coletto is largely unknown but certainly will bring some balance to this team. However, there's nobody at running back save Tatum Bell (which isn't much). As far as the O-line situation goes, we re-signed Foster, that's about all you need to know. Defensively, it's a different situation, we lost Shaun Rogers but gained a CB in Leigh Bodden, who is pretty good. Which makes our secondary less bad (but still pretty awful). Linebacker? We have nobody at MIKE and we lost Boss Bailey (who, incidentially, SUCKED). I think we're just good enough to beat out the bears for third place, although not by much.

In short:

1. Vikes (if Jackson doens't f**k up) or the Pack (if Jackson does F**k up)
2. Packers (see above)
3. Lions (by a hair, we're just not very good, at least Millen will get fired *crosses fingers*)
4. Bears, they need to rebuild, starting in the trenches.

umphrey
04-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Maybe this is just homerism, but I really see the division as ours to lose next year. Our team is good at every position, while the Vikings are one dimensional offensively and defensively. Calling Berrian and Rice a good WR group is being very generous. They are young and probably will improve but they aren't there yet. We are also better coached and you credit MN with having a great running game but fail to acknowledge that ours was one of the best since Grant started.

Geo
04-08-2008, 04:04 PM
The Rams have a 2nd WR. I know Drew Bennett isn't spectacular, but for a 2nd WR he is alright. They need a 3rd WR, not a 2nd, and they are taking a WR anyways.
Eh, I don't even like Bennett as a third receiver, to be honest. They vastly overpaid for him, I hated that signing since day one.

I think the Rams could be very well served picking up a receiver in the Draft to develop, especially as they also have the constant headache of Torry Holt's knee(s). Maybe a Mario Manningham in the 2nd round, or say Keenan Burton in the 4th, I think he will make for a very good mid-round draft pick.

Geo
04-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Maybe this is just homerism, but I really see the division as ours to lose next year.
Let's see the Packers not get swept by the Bears before saying the division is their's to lose imo.

umphrey
04-08-2008, 04:16 PM
You can say the same about the Packers sweeping the Vikings...except it's actually relevant because those are the 2 teams we were talking about competing.

Edit: Also I should probably say that one of those games was a complete joke. Brett Favre called it the worst conditions he'd ever played in and that he'd be lucky to complete a pass. Brett Favre. The guy who played roughly 136 games in northern Wisconsin, plus a bunch of playoff games hadn't seen worse conditions.

Geo
04-08-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm picking the Bears to win the North in 08, actually.

Their defense is healthy again.

Crazy_Chris
04-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Maybe this is just homerism, but I really see the division as ours to lose next year. Our team is good at every position, while the Vikings are one dimensional offensively and defensively. Calling Berrian and Rice a good WR group is being very generous. They are young and probably will improve but they aren't there yet. We are also better coached and you credit MN with having a great running game but fail to acknowledge that ours was one of the best since Grant started.

Saying it's the packers division to lose is being generous at the moment. I wouldn't say it is either's division to lose at the moment but rather its a toss up between the two. The Vikings certianly have questions on both sides of the ball with the passing game but the packers aren't with out their fair share of question marks as well.

1.How good will Aaron Rodgers be in his first year?
Obviously Aaron Rodgers is a big question mark, he will have an adjustement to being a starter I say he will be a good NFL QB the in 2009.

2. How good will the running game be?
Second question mark has partly to do with Aaron Rodgers, yes they were good at the end of last year. However Brett Favre had a pretty big affect on that he and the passing game opened up the running lanes for Ryan Grant. Now that the defenses should be focusing more to stop the run we will see how good they really are.

3. How good is that O-line really?
Next question mark and this is a minor one, I think they have a good group and a very good pair of OT's. But how much did Brett Favre and his great pocket presence/quick release have to do with that we will see. I think the O-line was a pretty big reason for some of the failure of the running game early in the year and then when teams figured that the pack had a great pass attack they sold out to stop that and the running lanes opened.

4. Will we see a drop off in Woodson and Harris's play?
Again I think this is a minor ? as I don't see it happening. Although we already saw it a little bit with Al Harris who got abused by a couple of the bigger WR's in the league Terrel Owens and Plaxico Buress.

Addict
04-08-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm picking the Bears to win the North in 08, actually.

Their defense is healthy again.

Their offense is dreadful, they have a crap receiving corps, a slow running back and an aging O-Line. Sure their D is solid, but they'll be on the field so much they'll either dead tired or injured by the time the season comes to an end.

umphrey
04-08-2008, 04:38 PM
1.How good will Aaron Rodgers be in his first year?
2. How good will the running game be?
3. How good is that O-line really?
4. Will we see a drop off in Woodson and Harris's play?

You do bring up valid questions about Green Bay, but I'll take those over the Vikings any day. You look at our team and you're looking at places where you're questioning where we'll get worse, and you look at the Vikings and you're questioning where they will get better, which is where the statement of "our division to lose" comes from.

1. Rodgers has shown a lot of potential, I think this is more of a question of consistency and health which he hasn't shown.
2. Ours was one of the best since Grant started, like you said a lot of this hinges on Rodgers but even a moderate dropoff from what we did at the end of last year puts us at average - it would take a big turnaround to make this a weakness.
3. It's improving from the center and getting old at the tackles. Otherwise same answer as the running game.
4. Probably, but most people said we had the best CB combo in the league last year, and while they may start to age the dropoff can't be that huge in 1 year. Plus depth is a little better this year even before the draft.

I agree with Addict. I expect the Bears defensive unit to play totally different this year (way better) but their offense is just awful and Hester can only return so many kicks in a year. They don't even have a game manager at QB, they have someone who can potentially flat out lose them games sometimes and his surrounding cast is poor in almost every aspect.

Crazy_Chris
04-08-2008, 04:45 PM
You do bring up valid questions about Green Bay, but I'll take those over the Vikings any day. You look at our team and you're looking at places where you're questioning where we'll get worse, and you look at the Vikings and you're questioning where they will get better, which is where the statement of "our division to lose" comes from.

1. Rodgers has shown a lot of potential, I think this is more of a question of consistency and health which he hasn't shown.
2. Ours was one of the best since Grant started, like you said a lot of this hinges on Rodgers but even a moderate dropoff from what we did at the end of last year puts us at average - it would take a big turnaround to make this a weakness.
3. It's improving from the center and getting old at the tackles. Otherwise same answer as the running game.
4. Probably, but most people said we had the best CB combo in the league last year, and while they may start to age the dropoff can't be that huge in 1 year. Plus depth is a little better this year even before the draft.

I agree with Addict. I expect the Bears defensive unit to play totally different this year (way better) but their offense is just awful and Hester can only return so many kicks in a year. They don't even have a game manager at QB, they have someone who can potentially flat out lose them games sometimes and his surrounding cast is poor in almost every aspect.

It really doesn't matter a Question mark is a question mark and when you go from one of the best QBs to lace em up to a unproven guy the team will likely get worse how much is yet to be decided we will find out I would still say it's a toss up. I still wouldn't count out the Bears as they have been brought up. I have no doubts if healthy their defense will be damn good. If they do some good scouting and get some Offensive linemen that can come in an play well right away and if Cedric Benson breaks out they will be in the mix.

Addict
04-08-2008, 05:02 PM
It really doesn't matter a Question mark is a question mark and when you go from one of the best QBs to lace em up to a unproven guy the team will likely get worse how much is yet to be decided we will find out I would still say it's a toss up. I still wouldn't count out the Bears as they have been brought up. I have no doubts if healthy their defense will be damn good. If they do some good scouting and get some Offensive linemen that can come in an play well right away and if Cedric Benson breaks out they will be in the mix.

that's a big if. The only thing he did last year was break down.

TheGreatEscape
04-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Mike Ditka won't let the bears be terrible now that they have some talent on D. If it gets back he'll lead a coup against Lovie smith and the bears D will win enough games for the bears to win the division, plus I'm hoping all of the top lineman are gone in the first so the bears can grab Mendenhall and let him and hester run the offense. They're the bears, they don't need offense they just need crazy Ditka watching.

Cashmoney
04-08-2008, 05:04 PM
So the Titans drop from a playoff team to bottom half of the league because they didn't sign any big name receivers? I don't see it.

LonghornsLegend
04-08-2008, 05:06 PM
1. Once upon a time, Aaron Rodgers was considered to be a potential first overall pick. FIRST OVERALL!!!!!!

What does this have to do with how well he will play? Need I remind you of some other qb's who were drafted #1 overall and how they panned out? I dont think that because he was an option to be taken at #1 thats going to make him better...But its still bold to assume a new, inexperienced qb will come in and win the division, but its the north so who knows.

Addict
04-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Mike Ditka won't let the bears be terrible now that they have some talent on D. If it gets back he'll lead a coup against Lovie smith and the bears D will win enough games for the bears to win the division, plus I'm hoping all of the top lineman are gone in the first so the bears can grab Mendenhall and let him and hester run the offense. They're the bears, they don't need offense they just need crazy Ditka watching.

He could trade the entire bears draft to jump to the top 5 and take D-Mac!

TheBuffaloBills
04-08-2008, 05:30 PM
I am content with the Bills at 16.

BaLLiN
04-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Giants #2 is a few places too high right now IMO, highest i think would be 3 for us, 4 probably being more likely.

Yes we do need a safety really badly, we should probably consider drafting two SS and FS to provide competition, and to see if Knight can make them better players.

TitleTown088
04-08-2008, 06:43 PM
I really think Jerry Porter is going to surprise some people...just a hunch and my opinion, but I think he could have a breakout year.

Because he plays for your team now?

neko4
04-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Because he plays for your team now?
I think Brandon Chillar is gonna be a HOFer now and who ever we sign to backup Rodgers will beat him out and throw 50 TD's

Yung Flippa
04-08-2008, 06:53 PM
People are sleeping on the Ravens too much. I'm telling you Troy Smith will lead us to an undefeated season =D

TitleTown088
04-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Let me just remind people of a couple of things about the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers.

2. In the short amount of playing time Rodgers had this past season, he looked pretty good.
3. What position are the Green Bay Packers weak? Cornerback? I can think of maybe four teams in the NFL with starting cornerbacks as good or better.

Let me remind people a couple things about the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers.
1. Once upon a time Rodgers was passed up by 23 different teams, for no Reason?
2. Key word there... Limited. As in one half.
3. Cb a weakness? 4 teams better? Hmmm....

People assume that for good reason, it's Brett Favre.

Now, I for one feel that if Rodgers stays healthy he'll be fine. However, putting the Packers as the forth best team with first year starter is optimistic. Don't get me wrong, I expect good things from Rodgers and I feel with MM they can achieve it, but to think he'll replicate what Favre did last year( which was statistically one of his best) is expecting a lot.

As for the Vikings winning the division, the QB is still Jackson... You'd don't win divisions by having a QB that " just dosen't **** up". He better improve drastically and they better find a pass rush for them to win it, no matter who they have running the rock.

Vikes99ej
04-08-2008, 07:19 PM
That website is teh sux0rz.

TitleTown088
04-08-2008, 07:36 PM
People are sleeping on the Ravens too much. I'm telling you Troy Smith will lead us to an undefeated season =D
How is he going to lead when no one can find his midget ass in the huddle?

nfrillman
04-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Eh, I don't even like Bennett as a third receiver, to be honest. They vastly overpaid for him, I hated that signing since day one.

I think the Rams could be very well served picking up a receiver in the Draft to develop, especially as they also have the constant headache of Torry Holt's knee(s). Maybe a Mario Manningham in the 2nd round, or say Keenan Burton in the 4th, I think he will make for a very good mid-round draft pick.

Bennett definitely didn't do anything to endear himself to Rams fans last year. I am willing to give him a chance to redeem himself though, not that I have a choice since he is signed for a long deal. I wouldn't worry too much about Holt's knees, he has barely missed any time his whole career. He just gets occassioanl nagging issues. With that being said, I definitely see the Rams taking a WR somewhere in 2nd-4th rounds.

CC.SD
04-08-2008, 11:44 PM

Just like he did in college, right? oops.

Dam8610
04-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Yahoo did Power Rankings a couple weeks ago...

CC.SD
04-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Yahoo did Power Rankings a couple weeks ago...

Well, I prefer the other one. Probably because the Chargers aren't number 1 here. :D

Dam8610
04-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Well, I prefer the other one. Probably because the Chargers aren't number 1 here. :D

Shockingly, I prefer the Yahoo one, which, regardless of which one you prefer, was the real first to my knowledge. Anyone know of pre-March 24th rankings?

Gay Ork Wang
04-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Let me remind people a couple things about the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers.
1. Once upon a time Rodgers was passed up by 23 different teams, for no Reason?
2. Key word there... Limited. As in one half.
3. Cb a weakness? 4 teams better? Hmmm....

People assume that for good reason, it's Brett Favre.

Now, I for one feel that if Rodgers stays healthy he'll be fine. However, putting the Packers as the forth best team with first year starter is optimistic. Don't get me wrong, I expect good things from Rodgers and I feel with MM they can achieve it, but to think he'll replicate what Favre did last year( which was statistically one of his best) is expecting a lot.

As for the Vikings winning the division, the QB is still Jackson... You'd don't win divisions by having a QB that " just dosen't **** up". He better improve drastically and they better find a pass rush for them to win it, no matter who they have running the rock.
The bears did last year with a QB that ****** up...

umphrey
04-09-2008, 04:23 PM
If you're talking about 06 Grossman did **** up a lot actually...
In a season dubbed as a "roller coaster ride" by Grossman himself, the fourth-year quarterback had several productive performances, which were seemingly diluted by a handful of turnover-ridden games. While earning a passer rating of at least 100 in seven games, he earned a sub 50 rating in five games during the latter portion of the season.

At that point their defense was flat out dominant and their running game was very good.

Now their offense is horrible, lacks upside, and they are depending on their defense to make a comeback.

bigbluedefense
04-09-2008, 04:31 PM
I think Packer fans are getting a little too comfortable on the throne.

Minny and Chicago are both a good draft away from taking the division if Rodgers goes through growing pains.

Addict
04-09-2008, 04:32 PM

Minny and Chicago are both a good draft away from taking the division if Rodgers goes through growing pains.

Indeed... the bigger they are the harder they fall.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-09-2008, 05:03 PM

I noticed that as well actually too. But to be fair it's split some are suprised by their success, but alot of posts by packer fans on various sites, which I read, back up what you're saying.

jth1331
04-09-2008, 06:45 PM
wow...there's nothing wrong with the broncos... all is good! Awesome. Good luck on that superbowl run then.

Just you watch baby! 19-0, here we come!

Seriously, they aren't a bottom 5 team, not unless they get ravaged with major injuries.

Packman1957
04-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Even I got to admit that probably is a little high for the packers. I would actually say #8 or #9. But I suppose it all depends on how you think Rodgers will do. I think he'll be good. My question is can he stay healthy. That is what I am worried about the most. And considering we don't have a legit backup thats a little scary.