PDA

View Full Version : Longevity of DT's

Halsey
04-08-2008, 08:00 PM
I have realized recently that DT's, in general, don't seem to last as long as players at most other positions. Thier bodies just seem to wear down sooner than most positions and they tend to get injured more and have shorter careers. Just look at Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis: Both had injury issues in college. When looking around the NFL I notice a lot of DT's that have been injured for various lengths of time in recent years: Tommie Harris, Marcus Stroud, John Henderson, Trey Lewis ect. This has me nervous at the idea of the Falcons taking Dorsey at 3. I know he's never missed a game, but he did get hurt and banging heads for 4 years in the SEC can't be easy on the guys body. I'm worried he will have about 4 good years in the NFL before taking a major hit in performance due to one health issue or another. Am I wrong on this one?

lordquas
04-08-2008, 08:03 PM
linebacker is a crazy intense position, id figure they would wear down quicker.

neko4
04-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Ted Washington has played forever

BaLLiN
04-08-2008, 08:07 PM
DT and ILB wear down quickest because they normally rely on strength, pass rush DTs are more like DEs, im talking about run stopping DTs

Thunder&Lightning
04-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Yes this is a major concern but DT's are so important these days that everyone is going to have to take a risk on one eventually. All player are going to have injury concerns in the NFL. DT's and RB's probably have the highest concern with RB's getting hit so much and DT's taking such a beating in the trenches every play plus having to support all that weight.

doingthisinsteadofwork
04-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Gravy Jackson is pretty old and yet hes still good for depth.

ATLDirtyBirds
04-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Gravy Jackson is pretty old and yet hes still good for depth.

He's good as a starter...

Halsey
04-08-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm not denying thier are exceptions. That's why I said "generally". Most humans don't live to 100+ years old. A minority of exceptions doesn't change that.

Aftermath
04-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Pat Williams is pretty damn old too

BeerBaron
04-08-2008, 08:44 PM
i would reword this somewhat. it seems that once a DT does suffer an injury, they seem to keep reinjuring themself.

so some guys like fat pat and gravy jackson just keep on trucking while other guys suffer some serious injury and have it keep recurring....

or at least that seems how it is to me

neko4
04-08-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm not denying thier are exceptions. That's why I said "generally". Most humans don't live to 100+ years old. A minority of exceptions doesn't change that.
Grady Jackson
Pat Williams
Ted Washington
Warren Sapp
Thats four, im sure i could think of more old starters at DT

BlindSite
04-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Rb
Lb
Dt
Fb
Te
Cb
Wr
C
Og
Ot
De
Qb
P
K

Halsey
04-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Grady Jackson
Pat Williams
Ted Washington
Warren Sapp
Thats four, im sure i could think of more old starters at DT
4 out of the entire NFL...

and Ted Washington missed half of last year because of a knee injury. Seems you're making my point while trying to disprove it.

neko4
04-08-2008, 09:28 PM
4 out of the entire NFL...

and Ted Washington missed half of last year because of a knee injury. Seems you're making my point while trying to disprove it.
And he's also like 39. Plus I said there was more, i was just listing a few. How many 35+ QBs and RBs are there that start?

ChezPower4
04-08-2008, 09:40 PM

same with Sam Adams and Pat Williams

Paranoidmoonduck
04-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Keep in mind that Wash has gotten less and less snaps per game for a very long time now, as is due to a guy who plays the brutal nose tackle position.

There should be no surprise about the length of most defensive tackle's careers. They are involved in the most brutal battle in all of sports, the fight between the offensive and defensive line. They are the most likely to be cut block, they are the most likely to end up at the bottom of the a pile, they are the most likely to get totally illegal things done to them.

neko4
04-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Keep in mind that Wash has gotten less and less snaps per game for a very long time now, as is due to a guy who plays the brutal nose tackle position.

There should be no surprise about the length of most defensive tackle's careers. They are involved in the most brutal battle in all of sports, the fight between the offensive and defensive line. They are the most likely to be cut block, they are the most likely to end up at the bottom of the a pile, they are the most likely to get totally illegal things done to them.
He's 39 though

Also Bryant Young was like 38

Thats true though, tuff for refs to catch. They should make an oline cam and make a new ref position, and have that guy just watch the oline cam

Halsey
04-08-2008, 09:43 PM
And he's also like 39. Plus I said there was more, i was just listing a few. How many 35+ QBs and RBs are there that start?

I never said RB's last longer. In fact, I would say they have shorter careers. As far as QB's, there is only one that starts at a time which means there are fewer QB jobs in the NFL. Most teams start 2 DT's. If you consider 3-4 DE's to be basically a DT, then some teams start 3.

35 plus QB's who start:
Brett Favre(You used Warren Sapp, so don't even pull the 'he's retired' card)
Jeff Garcia
Kurt Warner
Jon Kitna
Steve Mcnair

5 QB's is basically the equivalent of 10 DT's. There are a few just under 25 as well.

neko4
04-08-2008, 09:47 PM
I never said RB's last longer. In fact, I would say they have shorter careers. As far as QB's, there is only one that starts at a time which means there are fewer QB jobs in the NFL. Most teams start 2 DT's. If you consider 3-4 DE's to be basically a DT, then some teams start 3.

35 plus QB's who start:
Brett Favre(You used Warren Sapp, so don't even pull the 'he's retired' card)
Jeff Garcia
Kurt Warner
Jon Kitna
Steve Mcnair

5 QB's is basically the equivalent of 10 DT's. There are a few just under 25 as well.
Yeah i'd consider 34 DE's since most play DT in 43

Gatz
04-08-2008, 09:49 PM
What about left tackles? It seems they are the ones considering retirement earlier than most players in other positions imo.

Halsey
04-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah i'd consider 34 DE's since most play DT in 43

In that case 5 starting QB's would be the equivalent of about 13 DT's.

and I meant a few just under 35, not 25.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-08-2008, 09:53 PM
He's 39 though

Also Bryant Young was like 38

Some guys are just warriors, and some guys know how to protect themselves better than others.

What about left tackles? It seems they are the ones considering retirement earlier than most players in other positions imo.

Well, the slower a left tackle gets, the less effective he is. Slowing up with age would show most for a left tackle. Besides, left tackles get paid the best by a huge margin, so retiring early is a more attractive option.

Halsey
04-08-2008, 09:53 PM

I don't know about that. It seems that a high percentage of the 32 starting LT's jobs are occupied by guys like Orlando Pace, Jonathan Ogden, Walter Jones, Flozell Adams, etc who have been in the league a decade or more.

Vikes99ej
04-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Jamal Williams is still damn good, and he turns 32 this month.

youcandoit1687
04-08-2008, 11:55 PM

well how many 35+ year old players are there in the NFL? It can't be more than 15% of the league's population.

brat316
04-09-2008, 12:12 AM
DT take a lot of wear and tear since they have so much weight they have to support and use pretty much brute strength. No speed rushing around then end and using agile moves.

BuddyCHRIST
04-09-2008, 01:03 AM
Ehh I don't know, it's really a wash. Many DT's have shown the ability to play for a long time especially bigger one's who mainly clog wholes anyways. Guys that don't rely on speed tend to have more success towards the end of their careers than speed guys, hence to why Strahan is still so productive. Alot of DT's that have retired early aren't always due to lack of ability at the age but guys just running out of gas as playing DT takes alot of wear on the body and it takes alot of energy and effort to play as well.