PDA

View Full Version : Could Matt Ryan end up a bear?

BlindSite
04-08-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm just thinking that if the ravens choose to go for Clady its foreseeable that all the best OTs worthy of the 14th pick are gone by the time chicago is on the clock. Its even possible that Albert is gone as well.

Matt Ryan would still be on the board providing KC, or Atlanta don't select him (which seems likely).

RedVision
04-08-2008, 09:03 PM
I think they would have to trade up. NE will sure listen to any offer at no.7 if the No.1 rated QB is still available.

Turtlepower
04-08-2008, 09:07 PM
For some reason I was thinking that you were asking if Matt Ryan could be a bear, probably because you didn't capitalize Bear. I think he would make a very poor bear just because he isn't ferocious or big enough. Now JaMarcus Russell would make an excellent bear with a powerful body and a strong arm. Russell should be a bear, not Matt Ryan.

toonsterwu
04-08-2008, 09:09 PM
First, I don't think Baltimore passes on Ryan. I'm not going to say no chance, as there's always a chance. But I'd put it awfully low. My guess is if Ryan is on the board, they'll run the pick up.

But let's pretend it happens. At that point, I think a team will deal up, particularly if Ryan falls to the teens. Atlanta would be a strong possibility. So would Minnesota. Certainly, a darkhorse team could emerge .

If he falls to the Bears pick, I think the Bears would probably pull the trigger, unless a superb deal came about. Now, that said, Atlanta could certainly offer a quality deal that could intrigue, so this isn't exactly like last year, as teams always prefer present value over future value.

MetSox17
04-08-2008, 09:13 PM
For some reason I was thinking that you were asking if Matt Ryan could be a bear, probably because you didn't capitalize Bear. I think he would make a very poor bear just because he isn't ferocious or big enough. Now JaMarcus Russell would make an excellent bear with a powerful body and a strong arm. Russell should be a bear, not Matt Ryan.

LMAO.

Good thoughts on Russell. It seems he's been ravaging a few too many campsite picnics though.

ThePudge
04-08-2008, 09:15 PM
I think if Ryan got out of the Top 10 you'd see Carolina take him or perhaps Minnesota trade up for him. I still don't see it. I like Ryan in the Top 5 still.

regoob2
04-08-2008, 09:24 PM
I would love to see Ryan as a Bear. Perfect fit imo. I doubt him and Clady would both be there but Clady is probably the only guy that could make us not got Ryan.

Flyboy
04-08-2008, 09:39 PM
For some reason I was thinking that you were asking if Matt Ryan could be a bear, probably because you didn't capitalize Bear.

I thought the exact same thing, LOL.

SKim172
04-08-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't think Ryan gets past the Falcons. The Falcons haven't addressed the QB position at all this offseason. Arguably not their most important need, but the most obvious, definitely, and in the eyes of many of the fans, not addressing that need is insanity.

The Falcs might wait to pick up their QB in the second round, true. Rumor says their O-coordinator has an eye for Brohm, but he might not last to them. Too much risk that the Phins might snap him up. And trading up into the first would cost them valuable picks.

Would the Falcs choose to trade down from #3 to get a QB later? Wouldn't please their fans to pass on the elite talent.

I'm still 80% convinced the Falcons have Ryan locked in their sights.

ChezPower4
04-08-2008, 09:46 PM
I could see the Bears trading up to get Ryan if he stated to slide. They NEED a QB and if they have a chance to get the top QB in this draft they have to do it. I think now there probalby think that they will be taking a OT with their pick but if Ryan is there why not get him because this years draft is loaded with good OTs.

ThePudge
04-08-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't think Ryan gets past the Falcons. The Falcons haven't addressed the QB position at all this offseason. Arguably not their most important need, but the most obvious, definitely, and in the eyes of many of the fans, not addressing that need is insanity.

The Falcs might wait to pick up their QB in the second round, true. Rumor says their O-coordinator has an eye for Brohm, but he might not last to them. Too much risk that the Phins might snap him up. And trading up into the first would cost them valuable picks.

Would the Falcs choose to trade down from #3 to get a QB later? Wouldn't please their fans to pass on the elite talent.

I'm still 80% convinced the Falcons have Ryan locked in their sights.

The Falcons fans here will tear you up for that.

With the third overall pick the front-runners seem to be shaping up as: Jake Long and Glenn Dorsey. Matt Ryan is certainly possible, and I wouldn't be shocked or disappointed to see them go in that direction.

I'll say, if they are all there...

45% Jake Long
35% Glenn Dorsey
20% Matt Ryan

So basically what I'm saying, after breaking it down like that, is that right now I see an 80% chance of the Falcons NOT selecting Matt Ryan. In a new, run heavy offense I can see why. Chad Henne or Joe Flacco in the 2nd would make plenty of sense and should be available. Brian Brohm may have to be traded up for...

Dr. Gonzo
04-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Matt Ryan will always be a twink to me.......

SKim172
04-08-2008, 10:16 PM
The Falcons fans here will tear you up for that.

With the third overall pick the front-runners seem to be shaping up as: Jake Long and Glenn Dorsey. Matt Ryan is certainly possible, and I wouldn't be shocked or disappointed to see them go in that direction.

I'll say, if they are all there...

45% Jake Long
35% Glenn Dorsey
20% Matt Ryan

So basically what I'm saying, after breaking it down like that, is that right now I see an 80% chance of the Falcons NOT selecting Matt Ryan. In a new, run heavy offense I can see why. Chad Henne or Joe Flacco in the 2nd would make plenty of sense and should be available. Brian Brohm may have to be traded up for...

Well that shuts me up.

In my defense, I don't personally know any Falcons fans. :)

ThePudge
04-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Well that shuts me up.

In my defense, I don't personally know any Falcons fans. :)

hah I wasn't trying to embarass you at all or anything. Through the draft process things have certainly changed and developed. A team like the Falcons could look more system specific for a guy like Long at Left Tackle or Dorsey at Defensive Tackle and know they can still get a solid player in the 2nd.

There still is a chance the Falcons take Ryan, just not as great as it once was.

LonghornsLegend
04-08-2008, 10:36 PM
First, I don't think Baltimore passes on Ryan. I'm not going to say no chance, as there's always a chance. But I'd put it awfully low. My guess is if Ryan is on the board, they'll run the pick up.

But let's pretend it happens. At that point, I think a team will deal up, particularly if Ryan falls to the teens. Atlanta would be a strong possibility. So would Minnesota. Certainly, a darkhorse team could emerge .

If he falls to the Bears pick, I think the Bears would probably pull the trigger, unless a superb deal came about. Now, that said, Atlanta could certainly offer a quality deal that could intrigue, so this isn't exactly like last year, as teams always prefer present value over future value.

Quinn fell to the early 20's, and teams passed him who could "use" a qb, I think Ryan could easily be there at #14 with no problem, and he wont require a team trading up, nor do I think his stock is worthy of trading up...Baltimore has mroe of a QB then Miami had last year and Troy Smith looked decent, who could be better with a better offense.

Ryan going to Chicago with no O line or running game would be brutal, but they probably intend on playing Grossman this year so they could hold off on an elite LT talent or some offensive weapons.

regoob2
04-08-2008, 10:40 PM
I could see the Bears trading up to get Ryan if he stated to slide. They NEED a QB and if they have a chance to get the top QB in this draft they have to do it. I think now there probalby think that they will be taking a OT with their pick but if Ryan is there why not get him because this years draft is loaded with good OTs.
I hope we trade up to #11 with Buffalo if Clady or Ryan are available.

toonsterwu
04-08-2008, 10:43 PM
(in reference to Longhorns Legend post) Of course, this would tie back into the debate on Ryan's value, and well we know where we both stand on that. You think he'd rate lower than Quinn, whereas I think that Ryan would be a notch, or two, above Quinn. And I had Quinn fairly highly rated entering his senior year.

It's easy for people to forget that, come draft day last year, Quinn was considered to be very close to the 2nd tier QB's in value (Kolb, Beck, Edwards, Stanton). Put it this way - if teams truly considered Quinn a surefire franchise QB, someone would've gambled, even if it was for the future. I don't get that feeling on Ryan.

BeerBaron
04-08-2008, 10:48 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/BeerBaron/vadernoo.gif

i will be the most miserable SOB in existence for the next 3-4 years as i have to waste my life (and football seasons) watching ryan bust in a horrible, ungodly fashion...

can he be a bear? .........yes.

but i will hate it. i will hate it to no end. he will not be a good pro. not at all...

if QB starved atlanta and baltimore pass on him, that should be hell of an indication that this guy just isnt very good.

and who would protect him? hmm? we have gaping holes on the oline.
and who would he hand off to? benson? hes just a hair above being a bust...
and who would he throw to? sure we have TEs, but not much else.

all of those spots would be so, so, so utterly much smarter to pick...

BamaFalcon59
04-08-2008, 10:58 PM
if QB starved atlanta and baltimore pass on him, that should be hell of an indication that this guy just isnt very good.

First of all, your pick is like six spots lower than Baltimore, and ten spots lower than Atlanta. So his value may be more reasonable there. Secondly, Atlanta has no idea what they are doing.

BeerBaron
04-08-2008, 11:01 PM
First of all, your pick is like six spots lower than Baltimore, and ten spots lower than Atlanta. So his value may be more reasonable there. Secondly, Atlanta has no idea what they are doing.

value value value. sure, maybe.

but its my opinion that you should never, EVER "settle" on a QB. i don't think anyone would disagree to say that it is the most critical spot on a football team, and thats exactly what the bears would be doing if he tumbles down to them.

i don't like him at all and have voiced my opinion to a fault on that matter. now im not privy to the bears draft plans, but god knows i wouldnt touch ryan with the 14th or 41st or 114th pick...i just plain don't like him as a prospect

holt_bruce81
04-08-2008, 11:18 PM
value value value. sure, maybe.

but its my opinion that you should never, EVER "settle" on a QB. i don't think anyone would disagree to say that it is the most critical spot on a football team, and thats exactly what the bears would be doing if he tumbles down to them.

i don't like him at all and have voiced my opinion to a fault on that matter. now im not privy to the bears draft plans, but god knows i wouldnt touch ryan with the 14th or 41st or 114th pick...i just plain don't like him as a prospect

Well he can't be worse that Rex.

CC.SD
04-08-2008, 11:48 PM
I guess it's possible Atlanta could pull a Cleveland, using their collection of 2nd rounders to get him if he starts to slide. I seriously don't see him slipping past the Ravens though. Troy Smith would have to seriously impress.

BamaFalcon59
04-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Would two high second rounders, a third rounder, and a future third rounder be too much for Matt Ryan? Keep in mind we would still have a pick in every round, and would be able to grab Jake Long/ Glenn Dorsey and then Matt Ryan. Or, Glenn Dorsey and then trade up for Ryan Clady, then Chad Henne in round two. So many possibilities.

CC.SD
04-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Would two high second rounders, a third rounder, and a future third rounder be too much for Matt Ryan? Keep in mind we would still have a pick in every round, and would be able to grab Jake Long/ Glenn Dorsey and then Matt Ryan. Or, Glenn Dorsey and then trade up for Ryan Clady, then Chad Henne in round two. So many possibilities.

Ideally I'd say draft Jake Long, and give up whatever it takes besides a future first to get Matt Ryan. Between Long, Ryan, and Micheal Turner, that's a helluva foundation for the first year of a rebuilding project.

Then again, if they find themselves liking Brohm or Flacco, they could probably pick that guy up and get another piece for the D-line or something.

LonghornsLegend
04-09-2008, 12:25 AM

If I were the GM in Atlanta's case id want every single one of those picks, of course you have the ammo to move up, but you guys have someone in the front office from the Pats organization, and if the scouting department does their job their could be an instant turnaround if you hit on those picks...There are diamonds in the rough every year who end up in round 2 or round 3 that become great starters in this league, if Atlanta trades some picks to move up, and the guy they picked doesnt pan out its even worse, id just stockpile talent and the more picks the better the odds are of guys panning out.