PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Harvey

BlindSite
04-09-2008, 01:51 AM
NFL.com has him listed at 252 pounds, is this just a typo?

JagHombre22
04-09-2008, 02:01 AM
probably not...he's very lanky...he could be an outside linebacker in some defensive schemes....

Paranoidmoonduck
04-09-2008, 02:04 AM
Not sure what NFL.com is on about. The last measurement we have of Harvey came from Florida's pro day, where he came in at 269 lbs.

Turtlepower
04-09-2008, 02:07 AM
I really like Harvey more as a stand-up 3-4 OLB than as a 4-3 DE. I think he has much better quickness to excel in that kind of scheme and is very limited in a 4-3.

LonghornsLegend
04-09-2008, 02:08 AM
Judging from who was at his pro day, and whose been giving him the most attention, it seems like more teams that run a 4-3 are looking at him more so then 3-4 teams...Although I feel he could do both as well, jus seems like alot of teams are high on him as a 4-3 DE.

holt_bruce81
04-09-2008, 02:23 AM
I like him as a 4-3 DE, more than a 3-4 OLB.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-09-2008, 02:25 AM
Harvey is one of those guys who is fluid and quick enough that I'm pretty sure he could flourish in both schemes. The guy ran the linebacker drills better than some pure linebackers.

bitonti
04-09-2008, 08:05 AM
I don't have any hard proof but I believe both NYJ and NE are looking at Harvey as a "fallback" option at 6 and 7, should their preferred targets not be there.

D-Rod
04-09-2008, 08:08 AM
I don't have any hard proof but I believe both NYJ and NE are looking at Harvey as a "fallback" option at 6 and 7, should their preferred targets not be there.

If both Long and Gholston are gone, that's not impossible. Though it might be a bit of a reach, in my view.

bitonti
04-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Though it might be a bit of a reach, in my view.

Neither team really subscribes to the theory of reach. Remember NE took Richard Seymour at 6 overall, the day before Kiper had him going 21 overall.

They will take the guys they like that fit their system. Harvey appears to be able to do it all, relatively smart, football quick, plays well in big games, SEC competition, tough against the run, prototypical 3-4 OLB size... i don't see him falling as far as people believe he will.

toonsterwu
04-09-2008, 08:20 AM
There's been rumors that the Pats love Harvey. That said, some of it might have to do with the close ties between Meyer and Belichick. That said, Harvey fits their style on the edge moreso than a guy like Groves does, IMO. I'm a fan of Harvey as a 3-4 OLB.

proshoota25
04-09-2008, 01:47 PM
There's been rumors that the Pats love Harvey. That said, some of it might have to do with the close ties between Meyer and Belichick. That said, Harvey fits their style on the edge moreso than a guy like Groves does, IMO. I'm a fan of Harvey as a 3-4 OLB.

absolutely agree. i think harvey to the patriots makes alot of sense if gholston is not there at 7. the real question is whether the pats will pass rivers and a cb for harvey

brat316
04-09-2008, 01:51 PM
I think Harvey is a better 4-3 kind of like Jevon. He looks to thin because he is lanky to play at Olb in the 4-3.

T-Rat42
04-09-2008, 01:57 PM
I might just be being optimistic but is there anyway he falls to the Vikes at 17? A few weeks ago it looked like he would for sure but now it's not looking so good. He'd just be the perfect fit for the defense in Minnesota and with Pat and Kevin Williams lining up beside him he'd never face a double team on the outside, and with those tackle you could put a kicker at D-end and not have to worry about stoping the run, Harvey would do just fine.

bored of education
04-09-2008, 01:59 PM

hi toonster!!!!!

i can buy Harvey to the Patriots. But he is not as physically gifted as a ware or Merrimam. But he is a big strong guy that could come in and learn the system and be very productive

CC.SD
04-09-2008, 02:44 PM
absolutely agree. i think harvey to the patriots makes alot of sense if gholston is not there at 7. the real question is whether the pats will pass rivers and a cb for harvey

They could trade down from 7 conceivably and pick up Harvey and one of the 2nd round CBs. Harvey's value is definitely not top ten.

proshoota25
04-09-2008, 03:11 PM
They could trade down from 7 conceivably and pick up Harvey and one of the 2nd round CBs. Harvey's value is definitely not top ten.

i agree with that assessment but the patriots most likely will not care what other people's thought are about a prospect. if he is in their top 10 value wise, they would not be hesitant to pick him up. if they trade down, they wouldnt be assured getting harvey. Cincinnati and buffalo could both nab him at #9 and #11 if the pats traded down with say, the panthers

StaticGator
04-10-2008, 03:00 PM

I don't see how Rivers fits the Pats' scheme. All their linebackers are 250+ lbs.

brat316
04-10-2008, 03:04 PM
but college players tend to add weight on. When they get in the nfl. Harvey doesn't look 270.

Staubach12
04-10-2008, 03:41 PM
I like him in either a 3-4 or a 4-3. He'd be great at both. I've always been a fan of the Hybrid system and Harvey could play that Jason Taylor roll extremely well. However, the likelihood that he gets drafted by one of the few teams that runs this type of defensive scheme are slim.

PACKmanN
04-10-2008, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't read the measurements that NFL.com has to offer, last year they said that James Jones was 6'3 when he was only 6'1.