PDA

View Full Version : Giants draft ANOTHER end?

bitonti
04-09-2008, 08:08 AM
This assumes that the top tier of CB (McKelvin, DRC, Jenkins, Talib, Cason) are gone at 31 and they don't want to reach for the next tier (Patrick Lee etc).

Osi Umeniora is great, he's got one DE position on lockdown.
Michael Strahan is great but on the verge of retirement.
Justin Tuck is great but likely going to bump outside if no Strahan.
Mathias Kiwaunka is ok and has been converted to SLB.

maybe USC's Lawrence Jackson at 31? thoughts?

Shane P. Hallam
04-09-2008, 08:10 AM
I doubt it. I mean, at 31, you'll have a luxury of being able to take any 2nd tier guys. You look at secondary, even safety, someone will be there.

Jakey
04-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Not a chance! Osi and Tuck will be the starters for years to come...and you dont draft depth in the 1st round!

bitonti
04-09-2008, 08:13 AM
You look at secondary, even safety, someone will be there.

both Phillips and reggie Smith could go before 31, the other guys (morgan, t johnson) are second tier guys

just throwing this out there, aren't we all overlooking one of the standard draft moves over the last 5 years - the Giants always draft DE!

toonsterwu
04-09-2008, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't rule it out, although I'm more inclined to think that either safety or CB value will be there. If for some reason none are, I could also see them perhaps look at DT. OT can't be ruled out, although value there will be iffy as well.

bitonti
04-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Not a chance! Osi and Tuck will be the starters for years to come...and you dont draft depth in the 1st round!

if Spagnolo wants to rotate 3 DE on passing downs it's not depth.

toonsterwu
04-09-2008, 08:17 AM
both Phillips and reggie Smith could go before 31, the other guys (morgan, t johnson) are second tier guys

just throwing this out there, aren't we all overlooking one of the standard draft moves over the last 5 years - the Giants always draft DE!

They are better off taking DE value in the 3rd. I mean, a guy like Darrell Robertson could be there late 3rd. Same with a Jeremy Thompson (who I think they'd love). Chris Ellis has really fallen and is likely there in the late 3rd now.

I'll be surprised if both Phillips and Reggie Smith are off before 31. Neither one grades that much better, if at all, than Tyrell or Dajuan, although in the case of Tyrell, he's a strong safety, whereas the other three would be free safeties, which is why I don't see the Giants going after Tyrell (although he does have the athleticism to develop as a free safety ... he's a SS in a FS body right now, though).

bitonti
04-09-2008, 08:46 AM
They are better off taking DE value in the 3rd. I mean, a guy like Darrell Robertson could be there late 3rd. Same with a Jeremy Thompson (who I think they'd love). Chris Ellis has really fallen and is likely there in the late 3rd now.

Robertson is a fit for 3-4. Thompson and Ellis might just stink in the pros. Mark my words if a DE they like is there they will do it.

just like Lions taking WR, the Giants are gonna take a DE. it's draft standard procedure.

Shane P. Hallam
04-09-2008, 08:52 AM
There is a difference though. The Lions didn't really have a strong WR because they blew the draft with Rogers and Williams. The Giants have been very successful drafting DEs, so now it is not a need.

Geo
04-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Lawrence Jackson at 31st overall specifically, no. Jackson is JAG, he's not anything to write home about as a pass rusher nor is he worth taking that high. Maybe he is worth considering at the Bucs' 2nd round pick, with a need for LDE, but certainly the Giants could instead address bigger and more pressing needs with far better talent available at those positions.

Damix
04-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Yea...no. Not gonna happen.

bitonti
04-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Lawrence Jackson at 31st overall specifically, no. Jackson is JAG, he's not anything to write home about as a pass rusher nor is he worth taking that high.

he's a similar prospect to Justin Tuck in terms of grade.

Im telling you guys we could have started this same thread before the Tuck pick and you all would have said the same thing - no way!

The draft is not predicting what you would do if you were a GM it's about predicting what the GMs are gonna do.

Jakey
04-09-2008, 09:16 AM
^ I am predicting the GM's are not gonna draft another DE this year! I think the rest of us are aswell :p

EDIT: In the 1st that is.

Turtlepower
04-09-2008, 09:18 AM
You realize that besides Kiwi, Accorsi or Reese have never drafted a DE in the first. Osi was in the 2nd and the only reason we took Kiwi was because of us trading down.

Damix
04-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Before the Tuck pick? We had no depth then and that was the 3rd round, not the first round.

bitonti
04-09-2008, 10:42 AM
You realize that besides Kiwi, Accorsi or Reese have never drafted a DE in the first.

So besides the time they did it, they never did it. got it.

MetSox17
04-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Using the Lions as example is kinda irrelevant. Charles Rogers had played like three games in three years when they took Mike Williams. Both Mike Williams and Rogers were gone when they took Calvin Johnson so it wouldn't really make sense to take another DE just so you can rotate in there. With WR's at least they all can see the field at the same time.

They lost a crap load of players this off season and what's left of the secondary is nothing to brag about, so i see them trying to fill another hole, or trading down to fill multiples.

Number 10
04-09-2008, 11:08 AM
If a Derrick Harvey falls or they fall in love with Groves, I wouldn't rule it out.

Tuck is a DT/DE hybrid and Strahan is almost done if not already done. Kiwanuka will be moved back to the line soon but this Umenyiora contract issue might force the Giants into trading up for a pick within the next two years.

"You can never have enough pass rushers"

I thought Super Bowl XLII proved that, no?

CC.SD
04-09-2008, 11:28 AM

Well obviously!

luee
04-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Porter, Godfrey, or Phillips.

Solomon
04-09-2008, 12:24 PM

You said that the Giants drafting a DE was one of the standard draft moves of the last 5 years. You're using the logic that the Giants often draft DEs to suggest that they might go DE with their first rounder. However since the Giants have only drafted one DE in the 1st during the Accorsi/Reese era recent history would not neccesarily suggest that the Giants lean towards DE in the first round over other positions. The prediction you are drawing from recent history is flawed; just because the Giants tend to take DEs in the draft does not necessarily mean they tend to draft DEs in the first round.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the GMen take a DE within the first three rounds but I don't expect a DE in the first due to a perceived draft trend.

lordquas
04-09-2008, 08:14 PM
they would make 0 sense

BaLLiN
04-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Maybe in mid rounds, dont see it in first 2 rounds

yourfavestoner
04-09-2008, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't rule it out, although I'm more inclined to think that either safety or CB value will be there. If for some reason none are, I could also see them perhaps look at DT. OT can't be ruled out, although value there will be iffy as well.

Bingo. I think they snap up Balmer if he falls to them. He'd give them even more depth and versatility on their frount four.

BaLLiN
04-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Bingo. I think they snap up Balmer if he falls to them. He'd give them even more depth and versatility on their frount four.

I wouldnt rule that out either, but safety or corner would be a better pick, we really need to find a solution at FS, and its not going to be anyone on our roster making that immediate fix.

Big_Pete
04-09-2008, 09:45 PM
If in the unlikely even that Jenkins, Rogers-Comartie, McKelvin, Cason, Phillips, Smith are all gone, I think they will very seriously look at Trevor Laws.

I think it more likely they co with a DE in the 3rd round: Jason Jones, Darrell Robertson, Jeremy Thompson, Brian Johnson or Kendall Langford

The DE they may consider and option at 31 would be Calais Campbell, particularly if they like his potential.

I am currently thinking the pick will most likely be S Reggie Smith

Unbiased
04-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Why not Flowers? Does he not fit in the Giants' scheme? If that's a silly question, I apologize. I don't follow the Giants closely.

Big_Pete
04-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Why not Flowers? Does he not fit in the Giants' scheme? If that's a silly question, I apologize. I don't follow the Giants closely.

I see Flowers in the 2nd tier of CBs (along with Justin King, Tracy Porter, Charles Godfrey etc); I think he is a reach at 31 and better options will be available.

Flowers is a decent fit for the Giants system

Unbiased
04-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Scott has him going to the Packers in round 1. Wouldn't be a bad pick, in my opinion, if all the other corners and Phillips are gone.

NotoriousT
04-10-2008, 02:06 AM
If Harvey falls then it's possible. However, Lawrence Jackson is neither a 1st round talent nor is he at a position of need. If all those DBs were gone (very unlikely) then we'd look at OT. If all the first round OTs were gone, we would most likely just trade down and then take one of the 2nd tier DBs.

Also, your Tuck comparison is so flawed it hurts. There's a big difference between the 1st round and the 3rd round. Also, the Kiwi pick made plenty of sense considering Strahan's age. It's not like we had two great, young 25 year old DEs and then drafted another. We drafted what we thought would (and still could) be Strahan's replacement.