PDA

View Full Version : Players trying to Oust Upshaw. Matt Stover Revolution!!! Viva.

Mr. Stiller
04-09-2008, 11:00 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3336017&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Hines
04-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Boe says that Troy Vincent will be the next president of the NFLPA.

bored of education
04-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Troy Vincent FTW!!!

Geo
04-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Hopefully they succeed, and soon.

Mr. Stiller
04-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Hopefully they succeed, and soon.

Yeah I'll take Troy Vincent

JagHombre22
04-09-2008, 01:33 PM
I really, really, really dislike Gene Upshaw....long live the Revolution!

awfullyquiet
04-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Good for them.
Bout time too. Upshaw has been a bureaucratic pain in the kahieny..

brat316
04-09-2008, 01:36 PM
i heard on ESPN maybe B-dawk
but Troy is a good one to replace him was a long time NFLPA President

PackerLegend
04-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Would this have an impact on whats going to happen with the whole salary cap issue?

fischbowl
04-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Viva La Revolucion!

fenikz
04-09-2008, 02:27 PM
i wanted to me a che guerra style picture of Stover, but there aren't any big pictures of his face

fischbowl
04-09-2008, 02:36 PM
http://www.whodeyfans.com/uploaded_images/Stover_Matt-734140.jpg

bigbluedefense
04-09-2008, 02:37 PM
none of us can say whether Upshaw did a good or bad job. we don't know exactly what goes on during negotiations.

how do any of us know whether Vincent is better or not? we don't.

CC.SD
04-09-2008, 02:47 PM
none of us can say whether Upshaw did a good or bad job. we don't know exactly what goes on during negotiations.

how do any of us know whether Vincent is better or not? we don't.

Well, he probably wouldn't be opposed to giving paralyzed veterans who founded the league some benefits.

bigbluedefense
04-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Well, he probably wouldn't be opposed to giving paralyzed veterans who founded the league some benefits.

how much of that was Gene Upshaw's call? theres a lot more to that whole situation than most of us know about.

CC.SD
04-09-2008, 03:09 PM
how much of that was Gene Upshaw's call? theres a lot more to that whole situation than most of us know about.

I guess so. You would expect that if he really cared about the issue he would have been a whole lot more vocal about it, being the spokesperson and all.

BuddyCHRIST
04-09-2008, 03:31 PM
While I'll admit that I know nothing and none of us really do because we were never in any meetings. All the buzz was that Upshaw was very much an owner's guy who didn't work as much with the players as he should

Addict
04-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Hey... any day is a great day for some revolucíon

DeathbyStat
04-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Always watch out for the kicker on the grassy knoll.

bam bam
04-09-2008, 09:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuJJa6etJtI

lol

Komp
04-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Dunno why people are hammering Upshaw so much, he couldn't have been that bad if he lasted this long. In organizations, sometimes you just need some new energy at the top and I am guessing that is what the NFLPA is thinking.

Mr. Stiller
04-10-2008, 01:05 AM

I remember that article talking about those injured players. Then there was one countering it.

I had a couple of thoughts about it.

1) If the team doctor knows your seriously injured, and insists your fit to play. Or the coach forces you to play. Why is the league paying for it.. Shouldn't the Franchise?

2) Quite a few of those players (Not the ones from the pre 80's/90's) But from say 85 on, thats when the contracts started becoming ridiculous, add Free Agency, A lot of those guys had PLENTY of money to put away, chose not to, and now it's the leagues fault that they are hurt, and have no money?

I'm in the middle, the league should be helping the players that were low salary. The ones that max a certain dollar amount should have spent their money more wisely an saved.

thats like a top Level CEO losing his job, being broke and expecting the union to foot his bill. I'd say taxpayers, but that would be too close to home.

Mr. Stiller
04-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Would this have an impact on whats going to happen with the whole salary cap issue?

Technically Yes. If the Owners do pull out of the current agreement, and Vincent takes over...

Vincent would have to negiotiate a new CBA.

Turtlepower
04-10-2008, 01:10 AM
2) Quite a few of those players (Not the ones from the pre 80's/90's) But from say 85 on, thats when the contracts started becoming ridiculous, add Free Agency, A lot of those guys had PLENTY of money to put away, chose not to, and now it's the leagues fault that they are hurt, and have no money?

See, that it is imperative in football and Basketball for a portion of all a player's proceeds to go to some sort of retirement plan that can't be touched until after a player retires. And I mean like 5-10%, so something significant. If Latrell Sprewell can file for bankruptcy after only being out of the league for a few years, you know something in wrong with these sports as far as retirement goes.

yourfavestoner
04-10-2008, 03:20 AM
While I'll admit that I know nothing and none of us really do because we were never in any meetings. All the buzz was that Upshaw was very much an owner's guy who didn't work as much with the players as he should

Ha. Tell that to the owners who are trying to opt out of the CBA already after only having it in effect for two years.

Mr. Stiller
04-10-2008, 04:03 AM
See, that it is imperative in football and Basketball for a portion of all a player's proceeds to go to some sort of retirement plan that can't be touched until after a player retires. And I mean like 5-10%, so something significant. If Latrell Sprewell can file for bankruptcy after only being out of the league for a few years, you know something in wrong with these sports as far as retirement goes.

Why is it mandatory? It's not mandatory in anything else?

Anyone can choose to have an IRA/401K/other retirement savings plan.

If they so choose to not do it, who's fault is it that they are filing ofr bankruptcy.

I mean, if I were handed just 1M I doubt I could retire, But I would certainly stretch it as far as possible (250k house, 100k spending, 650k into stocks/bonds/401k etc.).

These guys are handed what. The average football player makes what, say 2.5M per year? Is it that hard to put 1M Back and live off 1.5M? and by the time they retire they'll have made more by investing than by spending?

I'm not trying to suck the fun out of superstars.

But a guy like Spree who I know made a lot of money, is Declaring Bankruptcy? he deserves it. I mean, some guys like JaMarcus Russell. He could've invested his entire Signing bonus, never played a game in his life and never worked. Easily.

The Legend
04-10-2008, 07:29 AM

thats what im worried about

bigbluedefense
04-10-2008, 09:56 AM
I remember that article talking about those injured players. Then there was one countering it.

I had a couple of thoughts about it.

1) If the team doctor knows your seriously injured, and insists your fit to play. Or the coach forces you to play. Why is the league paying for it.. Shouldn't the Franchise?

I'm in the middle, the league should be helping the players that were low salary. The ones that max a certain dollar amount should have spent their money more wisely an saved.

thats like a top Level CEO losing his job, being broke and expecting the union to foot his bill. I'd say taxpayers, but that would be too close to home.

agree completely. and thats what most fail to realize. these are grown men, they have responsibilities just like you and me. no one should babysit them and force them to spend their own money in certain ways. its up to the player himself to do that.

if he doesn't, thats not the league's fault.

but like you said, the players pre 85 who didn't make much money, they need better care.

its just unfair that Upshaw gets so much scrutiny when he doesn't deserve it.

ChezPower4
04-10-2008, 12:37 PM
I would like to see upshaw out... but come on how can a kicker be the head of a revolution you would think it would be a linemen or a linebacker or something, just thought that was a little funny.

Staubach12
04-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Someone who's good with images and stuff, make a picture of Matt Stover like the old Che photo:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/ljunior2040/che_guevara_01.png

On the real, this is very good. Upshaw is no friend of mine.

ks_perfection
04-10-2008, 06:27 PM
When the players retire from Football their mostly under forty and still have the majority of their working life ahead of them. If they don't have enough money set aside they can get a regular job like everyone else. Im sure thats what players who play less than a couple seasons near the minimum have to do. Their not 65 when they retire.

Their will be a few cases where players become so injured that a regular job isn't possible and some money should be set aside for that, but not the average player. If your in your 20s-30s and need money and can't do a career anymore, start in a different one.

vidae
04-10-2008, 06:47 PM

I remember reading something along these lines as well. A lot of people are not good at handling large amounts of money. They're out of the league for 10 years and they're broke with no means. If they saved their money responsibly, they wouldn't have as many problems.

That being said, maybe things could be better with a new head. Who knows. Troy Vincent is a stand up quality person who seems to really care about the players, so I don't think it will be a bad thing if a change is actually made.

Mr. Stiller
04-10-2008, 09:56 PM
agree completely. and thats what most fail to realize. these are grown men, they have responsibilities just like you and me. no one should babysit them and force them to spend their own money in certain ways. its up to the player himself to do that.

if he doesn't, thats not the league's fault.

but like you said, the players pre 85 who didn't make much money, they need better care.

its just unfair that Upshaw gets so much scrutiny when he doesn't deserve it.

Exactly.

If I work my what.. 41-45 years now (By the time I'm 77 it'll be 90, but thats a seperate issue).

and I had a good job. Should everyone be responsible for me not being responsible with myself?