PDA

View Full Version : Red Bryant

DEL jzc
04-09-2008, 01:31 PM
I've been getting into a somewhat heated debate over Red Bryant and his potential/ranking as a 3-4 nose tackle.

The big questionmark revolves about his strength and POA issues. At the combine he only lifted 20 reps, but his college bio says he has lifted 225 lbs. 38 times. His play on the field looks like the 38 reps is more correct (as is Scott Wrights profile on him).

But when given the chance at his pro day to lift again and erase that terrible number, the kid didn't even try. What's up with that exactly?

I mean, I understand the lack of pass rush moves. I understand he has very little lateral movement ability. But when you look at his film/stats from college, he basically took up two blockers every down and no one even tried to run at him. And if they did, they got no where.

Remember, Casey Hampton has 4.5 CAREER SACKS, so the fact Bryant won't get sacks is no big deal to a good 3-4 defense.

I'm really torn on the kid as a prospect. On one hand I see another potential Casey Hampton. On the other I see a kid that doesn't care, isn't as strong as what his program says he is or isn't promoting himself as the best pure NT in this draft (which should at least get him into round 2). All red flags.

If anyone has further information on Bryant or would offer up some explanation for his terrible lift numbers, I'm all ears.

brat316
04-09-2008, 01:38 PM
maybe he is injured or something pulled doesn't one anyone to know because he thinks it might lead to him being undrafted.

LonghornsLegend
04-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Well he has more upside then a guy like Okam to be a 3-4 NT because he is very good against the run, and sucks up multiple blockers very well...He's still a load to move and has alot of the skills you look for in a 3-4 NT, he might not be drafted into that scheme but I certainly think he can do it and hope Dallas takes a flier on him.

brat316
04-09-2008, 01:46 PM
i hope the steelers take him in the third

toonsterwu
04-09-2008, 01:47 PM
I think he can play the 3-4 nose spot, but I think he's better off as a 3-4 DE, a la Haloti Ngata.

Mr. Stiller
04-09-2008, 01:57 PM
I think he can play the 3-4 nose spot, but I think he's better off as a 3-4 DE, a la Haloti Ngata.

Weren't you and I talking about this about 2 months ago.

bored of education
04-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Weren't you and I talking about this about 2 months ago.

I remember talking to you about it!

Mr. Stiller
04-09-2008, 02:07 PM
I remember talking to you about it!

I know it was during a mock because everyone questioned me taking him in round 2 for SDE in a 3-4.

I figure this, he can hold the point, stuff the run already, and with his athleticism and some coaching he could be an extremely good Strongside passrusher from a 3-4 Standpoint.

Teams that use Hybrids should really look at him.

I forget who was telling me he couldn't play DE in a 3-4.

bitonti
04-09-2008, 02:15 PM
bench press isn't really a sign of functional football strength for linemen - it's a sign of weight room discipline, which is important. But lower body strength is more important for a defensive lineman. Whether it's 20 or 38 isn't all that important, what's important is how he plays on film and at Senior Bowl.

As for Bryant he'd fit in either a 4-3 NT or 3-4 DE, may be a little too tall for 3-4 NT. He's a nasty player with a meanstreak, great handplay, very stout at point of attack - I like this guy more than most and have him coming off the board in the middle of the 2nd round.

CC.SD
04-09-2008, 02:28 PM
shhhhhh don't talk about him!!!!!!!

He's supposed to fall to the fifth for the Bolts.

Not too long ago he was my favored first round pick actually at 27. But it's not good value and right now we need a RT more than a backup NT, given the relative depth at both those positions.

Bobo
04-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Although Albert Haynseworth hasn't played 34 NT, I've seen him handle doubles well enough for a long time to believe he could do it. He's 6-6, and only lifted the bar 19 times. Many numbers just don't always add up to performance on the field.

The Legend
04-10-2008, 06:13 PM
isnt the kid really smart, that should be a plus