PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins negotiating with Jake Long

Quagmire
04-09-2008, 03:53 PM
The Miami Herald is reporting that they have officially entered negotiations with Jake Long. Now, I am sure this does not mean they have decided on their pick yet, but it definitely is intriguing news. Could this be a smokescreen to entice someone to move up? Maybe, but the chances of that don't look great right now. (I hope that is what happens) Either way, this is good news. Under 17 days and I just want to get this going..........

Joeyjr09
04-09-2008, 05:58 PM
No smoke screen. We will probably negociate with Jake Long, Chris Long and Vernon Gholston. Every team negociates with the top players every year to see if they can get a better deal on the guy they really want. It's all a big mindfreak trying to work out that contract so having the leverage of mulitple guys vying for the spot helps out the team.

This is no way helps us as far as a smoke screen. Everyone knows we are looking hard at Jake Long, we don't need to go out of our way trying to convince teams of that.

BigBlueCrew56
04-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Here goes the Article from the Herald

By:Jeff Darlington

The Miami Dolphins could soon be off the clock.

The Dolphins have formally begun contract negotiations with agent Tom Condon about the prospect of selecting former Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long as the first overall selection in this year's draft.

Condon, who also represents Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, was in South Florida early this week to negotiate specifically on behalf of Long at the request of the team, The Miami Herald has learned.

The Dolphins would like to have a contract in place with their first pick before the draft on April 26, which would allow them to avoid a potentially ugly holdout like the one that took place in Oakland last year upon the Raiders' selection of quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Miami is still intrigued by Virginia defensive end Chris Long, but no in-person talks between Chris Long's agent and Miami are believed to have taken place to date. However, the Dolphins are believed to be happy with quarterback John Beck, and they are not considering Ryan as an option with the first pick.

The latest meeting between Condon and the team doesn't necessarily mean the Dolphins have made their final decision to select Jake Long over Chris Long, but it is certainly a major step in that direction.

By selecting Jake Long, the Dolphins would fill a gaping hole along their offensive line. Vernon Carey is currently slated as the starter at left tackle, but selecting Jake Long would potentially allow the team to move Carey back to his more natural position on the right side of the line.

Joeyjr09
04-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Here goes the Article from the Herald

By:Jeff Darlington

The Miami Dolphins could soon be off the clock.

The Dolphins have formally begun contract negotiations with agent Tom Condon about the prospect of selecting former Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long as the first overall selection in this year's draft.

Condon, who also represents Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, was in South Florida early this week to negotiate specifically on behalf of Long at the request of the team, The Miami Herald has learned.

The Dolphins would like to have a contract in place with their first pick before the draft on April 26, which would allow them to avoid a potentially ugly holdout like the one that took place in Oakland last year upon the Raiders' selection of quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Miami is still intrigued by Virginia defensive end Chris Long, but no in-person talks between Chris Long's agent and Miami are believed to have taken place to date. However, the Dolphins are believed to be happy with quarterback John Beck, and they are not considering Ryan as an option with the first pick.

The latest meeting between Condon and the team doesn't necessarily mean the Dolphins have made their final decision to select Jake Long over Chris Long, but it is certainly a major step in that direction.

By selecting Jake Long, the Dolphins would fill a gaping hole along their offensive line. Vernon Carey is currently slated as the starter at left tackle, but selecting Jake Long would potentially allow the team to move Carey back to his more natural position on the right side of the line.

BBC, come on man. I know you have good intentions but I'll willing to bet all us Miami fans either live in Miami or read the Dolphins section of the Herald regularly. No need to post the article. We've all seen it. Comes across as if you think we are all incapable of finding our own article.

BigBlueCrew56
04-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Yeah Joey but many people who dont follow Miami and are looking for info on the #1 pick will find it very helpfull. Relax bro...... like you said I am just trying to be helpfull.

Joeyjr09
04-09-2008, 09:55 PM
People that don't follow Miami won't be on a Miami board. It's rare you see anyone but me, you, quag, bow and guru on here.

thebow305
04-09-2008, 11:57 PM
No smoke screen. We will probably negociate with Jake Long, Chris Long and Vernon Gholston. Every team negociates with the top players every year to see if they can get a better deal on the guy they really want. It's all a big mindfreak trying to work out that contract so having the leverage of mulitple guys vying for the spot helps out the team.

This is no way helps us as far as a smoke screen. Everyone knows we are looking hard at Jake Long, we don't need to go out of our way trying to convince teams of that.

Couldn't agree more. But this will bring out all the possible Jake Long suitors for sure, if not anything else. Jake is our best shot at a trade out. I still don't feel he will be our pick in the end, it's just BP doing his homework, that's all.

thebow305
04-10-2008, 12:23 AM
According to the Sun-Sentinel, the Dolphins have begin negotiations with Jake Long AND Vernon Gholston:

Apparently content to keep the No. 1 overall pick, the Dolphins have begun discussing contract parameters with at least two players on their short list of candidates to become the draft's top selection.

Official contract negotiations with Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long, and Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston were started this week, according to a source. Coincidentally, Long and Gholston are represented by the same agency, CAA, but have different agents.

Long and Gholston are believed to be two of the five prospects the Dolphins have thoroughly investigated in case they don't trade away the top pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, which takes place on April 26-27.

Click the link to read the rest of the article:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspdolphins10sbapr10,0,7093217.story

Discuss now:

thebow305
04-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Don't have a heart attack BBC! :)

thebow305
04-10-2008, 12:56 AM
I do expect there to be contract negotiations with Chris Long as well. But, if indeed the only serious talks are between Jake and Vernon, then we will try to hammer out some outlines for deals for both. Jake will be our negotiating piece at a last ditch effort to get the Rams to bite on a trade. That way we could swap with them, already have Vernon under contract, take him at # 2, and get an extra pick out of it. If they don't bite, we have a deal hammered out with Gholston either way and he is the choice.

Maybe it's me dreaming, but who knows at this point!?

BigBlueCrew56
04-10-2008, 07:21 AM
People that don't follow Miami won't be on a Miami board. It's rare you see anyone but me, you, quag, bow and guru on here.

People might not post on the Miami board but I guarantee you they are looking for info in regards to the #1 pick. This is a draft site and people are looking for any type of info they can get. I go on other boards all the time to try to find info in regards to preparing my mock draft and to see the local news on other teams. It's called research

BigBlueCrew56
04-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Don't have a heart attack BBC! :)

I am surprised you didnt get a heart attack when the news first broke out about Jake Long. Way to keep composed HAHHAHAHA

FloridaFootball
04-10-2008, 07:31 AM
This is not a surprise. You look at the number of teams that are hoping the dolphins pass on Jake Long with the #1 overall pick, teams like the falcons and chiefs and rams all few slots under the phins. The dolphins are just making it look like their going to draft Jake Long so that other teams if they want Jake Long enough will trade with the Dolphins. I think if the dolphins don't trade the pick they will draft Chris Long.

Joeyjr09
04-10-2008, 07:54 AM
This is not a surprise. You look at the number of teams that are hoping the dolphins pass on Jake Long with the #1 overall pick, teams like the falcons and chiefs and rams all few slots under the phins. The dolphins are just making it look like their going to draft Jake Long so that other teams if they want Jake Long enough will trade with the Dolphins. I think if the dolphins don't trade the pick they will draft Chris Long.

As alreayd stated. Teams already know it's between Jake Long, Chris Long and Vernon Gholston. If a team really wanted Jake Long they would have already discussed a trade with us. Starting contract negociations with him doesn't change anything as we are talking contracts with all 3.

Teams already expect us to take Jake Long so talking numbers with him is really unimportant as far as trade downs go. If a team wanted to trade up for Jake, I promise you the contract negociations have nothing to do it.

thebow305
04-10-2008, 10:36 AM

Then why the negotiations with Gholston?

thebow305
04-10-2008, 10:38 AM
I am surprised you didnt get a heart attack when the news first broke out about Jake Long. Way to keep composed HAHHAHAHA

I knew it was BS, I know deep down Jake won't be the pick, we have to just wait until the 26th to hear the Commish confirm it. :)

BigBlueCrew56
04-10-2008, 11:58 AM
I knew it was BS, I know deep down Jake won't be the pick, we have to just wait until the 26th to hear the Commish confirm it. :)

Are you going to be at the draft party?????

Joeyjr09
04-10-2008, 02:34 PM
SI's Peter King says that we have Chris, Jake and Vernon all rated very closely and that we are using each of them against get other to get the best contract. We want them to accept money that is 5 percent higher then what the number 4 pick got last year according to King. Seeing as Jake Long could fall to number 3 or 5 if we don't take him. Vernon Gholston could fall as low as 7. They are both said to be open to taking the lowball offer from Miami because if they don't and they slip a little, they could be be making million less then even Miami's low ball offer.

Nice to see Parcells getting creative.

BigBlueCrew56
04-10-2008, 02:36 PM
SI's Peter King says that we have Chris, Jake and Vernon all rated very closely and that we are using each of them against get other to get the best contract. We want them to accept money that is 5 percent higher then what the number 4 pick got last year according to King. Seeing as Jake Long could fall to number 3 or 5 if we don't take him. Vernon Gholston could fall as low as 7. They are both said to be open to taking the lowball offer from Miami because if they don't and they slip a little, they could be be making million less then even Miami's low ball offer.

Nice to see Parcells getting creative.

Parcells is being real business savy and you have to beleive that Big Wayne is loving every bit of this. Very Very smart move to do this and I'd be happy knowing which ever player we get is going to come at a nice bargain. I'd have to imagine that J.Long and Gholston's numbers would be rather similar due to the fact that they are both represented by the same agency. Once they hammer out there agreements then they will take that to the Chris Long camp and see if they are interested in doing the same deal.

Joeyjr09
04-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Parcells is a savvy business guy now and you have to beleive that Big Wayne is loving every bit of this. Very Very smart move to do this and I'd be happy knowing which ever player we get is going to come at a nice bargain.

Yea, supposedly they are are talking in the area of 25 million guaranteed instaed of 35. Huge difference. Peter King already said that Jake Long is very open to the idea of taking less and Vernon Gholston logically seems to be ok with it as well. The one that might not be ok is Chris Long as even if he doesn't go at number 1 he is likely to go 2 or 4 at the worst so he doesn't stand as much of a drop like Jake (all the way to 5) or Vernon (all the way to 7).

Joeyjr09
04-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Also We are talking with Derrick Harvey was well. No one seriously thinks we are looking at him for the number 1 pick tho. I wonder if he is our choice as a 3-4 OLB in this draft and are looking at a trade up in the event he drops some. Wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility if he drops to the 20 range (Minnesota at 17??) that maybe we package JT and some picks to go up and get him??

Kinda makes you think. Jake Long and Derrick Harvey would be amazing for our 1st 2 picks.

thebow305
04-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Also We are talking with Derrick Harvey was well. No one seriously thinks we are looking at him for the number 1 pick tho. I wonder if he is our choice as a 3-4 OLB in this draft and are looking at a trade up in the event he drops some. Wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility if he drops to the 20 range (Minnesota at 17??) that maybe we package JT and some picks to go up and get him??

Kinda makes you think. Jake Long and Derrick Harvey would be amazing for our 1st 2 picks.

Yes it would, I'd still rather have Groves I think though.

thebow305
04-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Are you going to be at the draft party?????

Nope. Sorry man. I always watch it at home with a bunch of friends, nothing different this year. How about yourself?

iloxygenil
04-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Parcells is trying to screw Atlanta again...I won't stand for it! Leave Jake alone.

04-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Parcells is trying to screw Atlanta again...I won't stand for it! Leave Jake alone.

Nothing here is a guarantee. In the end I see Gholston as the pick.

Komp
04-10-2008, 03:19 PM
If Miami took Gholston at #1 that would sure shake up the first few picks.....

Quagmire
04-10-2008, 03:28 PM

Joe,

I agree that it would be great, but how does JT deal not screw the other team? You pointed out when I suggested getting a 2 and a 4 and couple of moves that it was too much, but now you suggest a #1 pick for him? What kind of deal are you talking about?

Joeyjr09
04-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Joe,

I agree that it would be great, but how does JT deal not screw the other team? You pointed out when I suggested getting a 2 and a 4 and couple of moves that it was too much, but now you suggest a #1 pick for him? What kind of deal are you talking about?

Go re read my post before you jump all over my back man. I said JT and some lower picks.

Walter Sobchak
04-10-2008, 03:37 PM
WOW thebow get over Vernon Gholston he WILL BE A BUST in the NFL

04-10-2008, 03:39 PM

As a 3-4 OLB he's as close to a sure thing as there is available on the defensive side of the ball in this draft.

Walter Sobchak
04-10-2008, 03:47 PM
no way the guy is all muscle and is a typical combine bust

04-10-2008, 03:48 PM
no way the guy is all muscle and is a typical combine bust

He's got the production in college necessary to back up all that physical talent.

Walter Sobchak
04-10-2008, 03:49 PM
maybe but either long would be a safer and better draft pick

Quagmire
04-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Go re read my post before you jump all over my back man. I said JT and some lower picks.

Joe,

Unless you were to put a #2 in the deal for Minnesota (which I would not do), why would they give up a #1? Come on now, I am not trying to break your stones, but you came down hard and said the JT deal I talked about with Jax was unfair for them. I can't see how the kind of deal you are talking about is not completely in Miami's favor........

Joeyjr09
04-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Joe,

Unless you were to put a #2 in the deal for Minnesota (which I would not do), why would they give up a #1? Come on now, I am not trying to break your stones, but you came down hard and said the JT deal I talked about with Jax was unfair for them. I can't see how the kind of deal you are talking about is not completely in Miami's favor........

Dude, you came out with actual numbers and details about a trade and wanted our input and I thought it was a rediculous trade for Jacksonville.

All I did was come up with an idea on why we may be talking to Harvey. I didn't throw out any details, I didn't propose anything specific like you did. All I did was saying that maybe Parcells was thinking of putting JT together with picks to move up and draft Harvey.There was never anything more then that to it. In fact the only mention of a team was Minnesota as a side note with question marks around it because they had shown previous interest in JT. I never specifically said we need to trade with Minnesota or anything of that nature.

You came up with a full flegged trade proposal that was very unfair in my eyes.

All I did was speculate on ideas the coaching staff might have. There's nothing fair or unfair about speculation. And certainly nothing to jump all over me about.

How you made the leap from "I wonder is Tuna wants to put JT with some picks to get Harvey" into "Minnesota will never give up 17 for JT, you trade idea is horrible" is beyond me.

Quagmire
04-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Dude, you came out with actual numbers and details about a trade and wanted our input and I thought it was a rediculous trade for Jacksonville.

All I did was come up with an idea on why we may be talking to Harvey. I didn't throw out any details, I didn't propose anything specific like you did. All I did was saying that maybe Parcells was thinking of putting JT together with picks to move up and draft Harvey.There was never anything more then that to it. In fact the only mention of a team was Minnesota as a side note with question marks around it because they had shown previous interest in JT. I never specifically said we need to trade with Minnesota or anything of that nature.

You came up with a full flegged trade proposal that was very unfair in my eyes.

All I did was speculate on ideas the coaching staff might have. There's nothing fair or unfair about speculation. And certainly nothing to jump all over me about.

How you made the leap from "I wonder is Tuna wants to put JT with some picks to get Harvey" into "Minnesota will never give up 17 for JT, you trade idea is horrible" is beyond me.

Joe,

Fair enough. But you threw an idea out there about trading JT for a draft pick and did not give any details or ideas behind it. How do you speculate on something if there is no detail to it?

Joeyjr09
04-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Joe,

Fair enough. But you threw an idea out there about trading JT for a draft pick and did not give any details or ideas behind it. How do you speculate on something if there is no detail to it?

Did you seriously ask how I can speculate on something if there is no detail?

Dude, if there were details, it wouldn't be speculation.

Jacksonville being interested in JT is a fact. Has been reported and written by many people. There are details to back it up.

Me sitting a wondering whether Parcells wants to trade up for Harvey is speculation. There's nothing to back it. It's just ideas being thrown around.

See the difference? Didn't you learn this stuff in grade school?

thebow305
04-10-2008, 11:20 PM

I don't remember asking you. Who are you anyway?

thebow305
04-10-2008, 11:21 PM
maybe but either long would be a safer and better draft pick

That's your opinion, and you should probably keep it to yourself next time instead of making brash, outlandish comments where they are not needed.

thebow305
04-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Nothing here is a guarantee. In the end I see Gholston as the pick.

Thank you!

Joeyjr09
04-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Someone tell Bow to please stop with the double posts all the time. All day I've seen a bunch of these:

This message is hidden because thebow305 is on your ignore list.

It kills to try reading thru a thread and see 1952390542 of the same thing over and over cause the guy can't keep it all in 1 post.

BBC no offense but you do the same thing. Instead of making double posts just hit the edit button and add it to the post you already made. It'll be easier if we start cleaning up this kinda stuff now before we hit draft day and have a real mess of posts on our hands.

thebow305
04-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Someone tell Bow to please stop with the double posts all the time. All day I've seen a bunch of these:

This message is hidden because thebow305 is on your ignore list.

It kills to try reading thru a thread and see 1952390542 of the same thing over and over cause the guy can't keep it all in 1 post.

BBC no offense but you do the same thing. Instead of making double posts just hit the edit button and add it to the post you already made. It'll be easier if we start cleaning up this kinda stuff now before we hit draft day and have a real mess of posts on our hands.

Haha, why didnt you just tell me yourself instead of crying about it, or how about unblocking me to see all my good points.