PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Rhodes signs 5 year extension with NYJ

derza222
04-09-2008, 06:16 PM
http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080409&content_id=1456779&oid=36122&vkey=12

Rhodes is definitely one of the Jets better defensive players if not their best, and was still on his rookie contract, which would have been up after this season. Supposedly it's a 5 year deal worth 33.5 million, a little less than Bob Sanders got. Not a bad deal to lock up their biggest defensive playmaker for a few more years.

Matthew Jones
04-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Not a bad move. Rhodes is an excellent player, and their best on the defense.

AlexDown
04-09-2008, 06:21 PM
I was really worried they wouldent get this done. Glad we locked him up.

jetsfan0099
04-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Rhodes is a top 5 safety in the NFL. I'm glad we locked him up after spending on those players this offseason. IT would of been a bust if we didn't lock Rhodes up, he is too good and young for us not to keep him. And hes a leader, and a great character guy, every coach in the league would love to have a player like Rhodes on their team. Very coachable player.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
04-09-2008, 06:53 PM
This makes my day. I couldn't be happier, i love this guy. What a relief

bigbluedefense
04-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Rhodes is one of the best safeties in the game. Excellent move.

One of my favorite players too. He's just a badass dude. Can do it all. Prototypical 3-4 SS.

Crickett
04-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Rhodes should have been to the pro bowl the last two years. But that's a looooooooot of money.

PACKmanN
04-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Rhodes should have been to the pro bowl the last two years. But that's a looooooooot of money.

Its worth it. He the face of that team, and is a young player. Will be good for many years. Nice move.

LonghornsLegend
04-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Its worth it. He the face of that team, and is a young player. Will be good for many years. Nice move.

Agreed, never can argue with locking up young talent, but more spending by the Jets? Their pocketbook has been open all off season.

Thunder&Lightning
04-09-2008, 07:38 PM
ya good for the jets. Big part of that teams defense. Rhodes top 5 safety and could be one most underrated players in the NFL.

thetedginnshow
04-09-2008, 07:39 PM
yaaaaaaaaaaaay

Geo
04-09-2008, 08:08 PM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/04/09/jets-extend-kerry-rhodes-20m-guaranteed/

Jets Extend Kerry Rhodes, $20M Guaranteed
Posted Apr 9th 2008 6:59PM

Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the New York Jets have reached an agreement on a five-year contract extension with safety Kerry Rhodes.

Schefter reports that the deal is worth $33.5 million, including $20 million in guaranteed money; SNY reports that the contract is similar to the deal that Indianapolis Colts safety Bob Sanders signed. The contract will go through the 2012 season, when Rhodes will be 30 years old.

Rhodes had one year left on his current contract and would have become a free agent after the 2008 season if he hadn't signed the extension, and this seems like a good deal for both sides.
I agree, it's a good deal for both sides. Rhodes is a very good player, it's money well spent by the Jets to lock him up for the future.

LonghornsLegend
04-09-2008, 08:11 PM
They have got to be close to the cap limit now, Im all for resigning your young guys though that you intend on building around...I wish we had room to lock up guys like Canty, Barber, Ware long term right now....But I thought the Jets were pressed for cash before this move.

Crickett
04-09-2008, 08:17 PM
They have got to be close to the cap limit now, Im all for resigning your young guys though that you intend on building around...I wish we had room to lock up guys like Canty, Barber, Ware long term right now....But I thought the Jets were pressed for cash before this move.

Well, this is very probably true. But at the same time, the Jets are probably 2 or 3 June 1st cuts away from not only having cap room, but rolling in it despite the signings. Now, there will probably only be 1 (Robertson), but even with that one, the Jets should be okay cap wise.

bored of education
04-09-2008, 08:17 PM
He is awesome, nice extension signing.

Gridiron
04-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Once Robertson is gone we'll have another $8+ million in cap room. No worries.

LonghornsLegend
04-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Well, this is very probably true. But at the same time, the Jets are probably 2 or 3 June 1st cuts away from not only having cap room, but rolling in it despite the signings. Now, there will probably only be 1 (Robertson), but even with that one, the Jets should be okay cap wise.

I forgot about Robertson who will be axed or traded, thats a huge relief to the cap.

jetsfan0099
04-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Yea when we let Robertson go we save like 8 mil off the cap right now. Which is good. Also the deals we gave out weren't as large as people think, if you look at their break downs they aren't all getting their money this year. Pace isn't seeing most of his money till next season. He makes 600k as his salary next season, not including bonus. The Jets GM is a CAP wiz, he knows what he is doing.

jetsfan0099
04-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Its all on the QB for the Jets now that will determine how successful they are next season.
I know it seems hard to believe, but I think the Jets defense will be top 10 next season. With the moves they made and having young studs like Harris, Revis, Rhodes. They look good on paper on defense, after the bye last year we were awesome on Defense.
I can't wait till the draft to see who we take round 1.

fenikz
04-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Great deal for the Jets IMO, maybe we can convince Adub that is he is only worth 6 mil now

ChezPower4
04-10-2008, 01:03 AM
Nice to see the Jets giving guys that have been making plays for them for years. Kerry Rhrodes IMO is one of the most underrated defensive players in the NFL.

kmartin575
04-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Hopefully being a higher paid player now will bring him more recognition and he will finally get a chance to make the pro bowl. John Lynch making the pro bowl as an alternate last year was bullcrap. 12 GP, 59 tackles, and 1 sack on one of the worst defenses in the league last year are not pro bowl numbers by any stretch of the imagination. Antoine Bethea making it over Rhodes was also a joke.