PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article About the 1998 NFL Draft.

Thunder&Lightning
04-10-2008, 10:54 AM
ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3335873

If Leaf had performed to expectations, Michael Vick might never have found his way to Atlanta. Drew Brees never would have flourished in San Diego, perhaps diminishing his chances of landing a long-term deal in New Orleans. The New York Giants might have been unable to swing a draft-day trade with San Diego -- or anyone else -- for franchise quarterback Eli Manning. Philip Rivers certainly wouldn't be lining up under center in San Diego.

10 out of the 32 1st round picks from the 1998 NFL Draft are still active...

Thought this was an interesting article...

tjpackers
04-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Peyton Manning tossed more touchdown passes in his first 10 NFL games than Ryan Leaf threw during his career

Ryan leaf is the worst QB in the history of the nfl

Turtlepower
04-10-2008, 11:01 AM
I actually didn't enjoy that article very much. There is way too much guess work in there. Also, I feel that the Ryan Leaf saga has been beaten to death not many people really care about it anymore. Or at least I don't care. =D

Thunder&Lightning
04-10-2008, 11:04 AM
being a chargers fan i will always care.

Gay Ork Wang
04-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Every move in every year influences a lot...

Turtlepower
04-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Every move in every year influences a lot...

Exactly my point. Why not make an article about what if the Steelers didn't draft Terry Bradshaw in the 70s or what if Babe Ruth wasn't traded to the Red Sox?

Gay Ork Wang
04-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Could have been about how the Colts got the 1st picked and then picked Manning instead of Leaf.

FloridaFootball
04-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Could have been about how the Colts got the 1st picked and then picked Manning instead of Leaf.

Leaf instead of Manning.

Gay Ork Wang
04-10-2008, 11:38 AM
? Colts picked Manning over Leaf

bigbluedefense
04-10-2008, 11:43 AM
if the queen had balls she'd be the king.

every year, the draft has a ripple effect on multiple teams. i understand what he's saying, but its nothing to really care for.

bsaza2358
04-10-2008, 11:53 AM
I actually liked the way he described everything. It was a well-written piece, and it really showed the impact 10-11 years later. That is generally the time that you can really see the long term impact. That generation of players is on its way out of football, so you can really see what happened because of each decision.

Jay
04-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Robert Edwards... http://www.machinehead1.com/board/omfg.gif

CC.SD
04-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Peyton Manning tossed more touchdown passes in his first 10 NFL games than Ryan Leaf threw during his career

Ryan leaf is the worst QB in the history of the nfl

Wow you're really going out on a limb. Truly valuable insight.

I hate Ryan. I don't care that he indirectly brought us LT, AJ Smith, Merriman, Rivers, etc. etc. etc. That guy is a waste of air and a disgusting excuse for a human being.

scar988
04-10-2008, 12:54 PM
it's funny. Atlanta at #12 had a choice between 2 guys they had rated exactly the same. and they took Brooking because he was from Atlanta.
they should sign Spikes though. I really think he would be a good veteran backup for us.

Cashmoney
04-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Kevin Dyson over Randy Moss. Nuff said.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Just goes to show, that maturity and being all there above the shoulders, between the ears, is vital for the QB position. Doesn't matter how good you are physically, if your a nut job, and immature, it's not going to work.

TheGreatEscape
04-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Just goes to show, that maturity and being all there above the shoulders, between the ears, is vital for the QB position. Doesn't matter how good you are physically, if your a nut job, and immature, it's not going to work.

you can be abutjob but only if you're a genius and obsess about your game.

LonghornsLegend
04-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Chicago doesnt have much luck taking Rb's in the top 5 eh?

Article was ok, way too many what if's though, and we could do that all day, about every draft...so whats the point?

NY+Giants=NYG
04-10-2008, 01:25 PM
you can be abutjob but only if you're a genius and obsess about your game.

Also mature as well. That perhaps is the biggest thing a QB should have. You can be a dumb person, but when it comes to reading defenses, or coaches implementing certain reads, you should be able to process and comprehend that. That's the thing if you're a nutjob and a QB, players will be taking a cue from you, so that not be a good thing.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Robert Edwards... http://www.machinehead1.com/board/omfg.gif

Robert Edwards was just horrible luck. Stupid Beach Football game. Who knows how good he could have been, but I do give him credit as he did battle back and did make a return with the Dolphins after his serious knee injuries. Amazing that just a harmless, innocent beach football game could ruin such a promising career.

Thunder&Lightning
04-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Robert Edwards was just horrible luck. Stupid Beach Football game. Who knows how good he could have been, but I do give him credit as he did battle back and did make a return with the Dolphins after his serious knee injuries. Amazing that just a harmless, innocent beach football game could ruin such a promising career.

I dont even want to think about robert edwards makes me sick... He could of been great.

Jay
04-10-2008, 02:15 PM
That's why I was banging my head on the wall. He had that awesome rookie year, had everyone ready to forget the name "Curtis Martin," and the poof, it was gone...

LonghornsLegend
04-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Just imagine how pissed he probably was for even participating in something so meaningless.

Jay
04-10-2008, 03:32 PM
That's pretty much why the event doesn't exist anymore. Such a shame. He was soooooo good his rookie year.

CC.SD
04-10-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm checking back into this thread to reemphasize that Ryan needs to get eaten by pigs.

Bills2083
04-10-2008, 04:31 PM
wow, I forgot that we traded our 1st for Rob Johnson http://www.machinehead1.com/board/omfg.gif

Geo
04-11-2008, 02:56 PM
I just gave this a read right now, definitely an interesting article. Especially with Bethard's comments now.

Also, never ever mention Robosack again. Ugh I hate that guy.

San Diego Chicken
04-11-2008, 06:06 PM
I think everyone agrees that Leaf was a huge bust, but what compounded it was the fact that Beathard traded the #2 in 98 and the #1 in 99, plus Eric Metcalf, to move up 2 spots in the draft. The team hadn't picked in the first round for four drafts prior to that one, and Beathard made some really bad picks in the second round (like Brian Still). That's how you nearly kill a franchise, when your only first round draft pick between 1995 and 2000 is Ryan freakin' Leaf.

yourfavestoner
04-11-2008, 08:27 PM
wow, I forgot that we traded our 1st for Rob Johnson http://www.machinehead1.com/board/omfg.gif

And the player chosen with that pick was less than a god, but more than a man. The Great Fred Taylor.

Thanks Buffalo ;)