PDA

View Full Version : Could the Dolphins "take a pass"?

Shane P. Hallam
04-10-2008, 11:49 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/568972.html

Scott Linehan says the Rams are preparing for that possibility if the Dolphins let their time run out to avoid paying #1 money. Anyone ACTUALLY think this could happen?

BeerBaron
04-10-2008, 11:51 AM
haha, that would brilliant. they just have to make sure they get up there right after theyve slid the # of spots they wanted.

AaronGrayisKing
04-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Refresh my memory, did the Vikings give the proper money to Kevin Williams?

I don't remember and I would think that will tell us if it'll work for the Fins.

Bigger issue seems to be pay issue for rookies.... Hope they get it squared away.

toonsterwu
04-10-2008, 11:56 AM
I don't really anticipate this. You would risk a potentially long holdout, and I don't think Parcells wants that for Sparano.

JagHombre22
04-10-2008, 11:56 AM
more the reason for a pay scale...

Shane P. Hallam
04-10-2008, 11:57 AM
I don't really anticipate this. You would risk a potentially long holdout, and I don't think Parcells wants that for Sparano.

Perhaps, but if they don't get a deal done before the draft, couldn't we be seeing one anyway?

The Hurricane
04-10-2008, 11:58 AM
They are smarter than that. Whoever they pick is gonna demand #1 overall money anyways. There is plenty of precedent to back this up. When the Vikings let time run out their pick was demanding to be paid as if he was picked in their original draft spot. I don't know who won that battle but in this case where it would be such flagrant abuse of the system, I'm POSITIVE whoever they picked would hold out for #1 money. The only thing they accomplish in this situation is pissing off their player and screwing over the Rams (whoever the Rams select will want #1 overall money as well).

toonsterwu
04-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Perhaps, but if they don't get a deal done before the draft, couldn't we be seeing one anyway?

Sure, you could see it, but it's much easier to negotiate when there isn't the issue of "which pick is that player exactly" hanging over the discussion.

I guess, short of it is, I think Parcells will make a decision pre-draft as to whether or not he keeps the pick. If so, my expectations are that he'll get someone signed, sealed, and delivered pre-draft.

Shane P. Hallam
04-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Right, it is HIGHLY doubtful, but interesting that Linehan would mention it.

BeerBaron
04-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Right, it is HIGHLY doubtful, but interesting that Linehan would mention it.

hes doing his job well and being prepared, but like someone before had said i think that hed get screwed too since whoever he takes, whoever the fins take, and anyone else taken in between there, is going to want money for the slot they think they were selected....

regoob2
04-10-2008, 12:31 PM
That's funny cause I was thinking about that as a possibility. I don't think you can do that cause the difference between #1 and #2 isn't that drastic and if the guy they take at #2 busts and the guy who goes #1 is a stud that gm will be out of a job.

CC.SD
04-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Parcells might be a hardass, but he's not a total douche. This has no chance of happening.

ChezPower4
04-10-2008, 12:56 PM
this is not going to happen... this is the Dolphins not the Vikings

Staubach12
04-10-2008, 03:38 PM
more the reason for a pay scale...

Thank you. This is absolutely needed ASAP.

KCJ58
04-10-2008, 04:01 PM
where drafting Chris Long no matter what

brat316
04-10-2008, 04:04 PM
didn't that happen to a team a few years back, where Suggs was drafted.

Joeyjr09
04-10-2008, 04:41 PM
In the case of the Vikings. If I remember correctly. Kevin Williams was the guy. The Vikings had the number 7 pick but took Williams at number 9 instead. There was a holdout and finally I think they both compromised and he needed up signing in the middle. Somewhere around number 8 pick money.

I could be wrong but I think that's how it went down. If you can wait a few picks and still get your guys and save yourself some cash. Why not?

All this is moot tho. Miami ain't passing. We are already talking with prospect and expect to sign one before the draft even starts. Not to mention we are talking about number 3 pick money with these guys to begin with so there's no reason to wait for the 3rd pick when they seem open to taking lessat number 1.

BaLLiN
04-10-2008, 05:20 PM
If they traded down 1 pick they could still get one of the longs, and id take Jake Long personally, but still getting a pick out of it would be a good idea

DragonFireKai
04-10-2008, 05:28 PM
If they traded down 1 pick they could still get one of the longs, and id take Jake Long personally, but still getting a pick out of it would be a good idea

There's no sense in trading down for one spot. St. Louis has no reason to go to 1st overall. There isn't a singular player who's worth trading the farm for one extra spot. The highest that a 1st overall pick could be traded for is number 3. And that's assuming that the number three team is targeting the same player as the number 2 team.

brat316
04-10-2008, 05:33 PM
if they take a pass what happens can they still pick right after the rams.

BaLLiN
04-10-2008, 05:34 PM
There's no sense in trading down for one spot. St. Louis has no reason to go to 1st overall. There isn't a singular player who's worth trading the farm for one extra spot. The highest that a 1st overall pick could be traded for is number 3. And that's assuming that the number three team is targeting the same player as the number 2 team.

i meant a good decision for the dolphins, i didnt say anything about the rams

WMD
04-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Haha, I was just thinking about this too.

NFL should fix this.. Just put in a rule where if a team doesn't pick before their time runs out, they have to forfeit their next draft pick. Problem solved.

BeerBaron
04-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Haha, I was just thinking about this too.

NFL should fix this.. Just put in a rule where if a team doesn't pick before their time runs out, they have to forfeit their next draft pick. Problem solved.

ooo....that would suck. i mean, it fixes this loophole of teams not picking in order to pay their guy less...but how often does it actually happen? not very...

BaLLiN
04-10-2008, 05:46 PM
what pick did cincy lose, like roundwise?

DragonFireKai
04-10-2008, 05:52 PM
i meant a good decision for the dolphins, i didnt say anything about the rams

It takes two to tango.

The Legend
04-10-2008, 06:10 PM
no they could just draft someone like Chris Johnson who wouldnt cost to much or Zack Bowman