PDA

View Full Version : what do the jets do if........

Coach_Beavis
04-10-2008, 12:59 PM
lets say that its draft saturday, the jets are on the clock, and both longs, gholston, and dorsey are all gone, who do the jets take?

i dont think they take mcfadden for two reasons, 1, character issues, and 2, they dont exactly have an ideal cap situation for drafting a skill player this high.

i dont think they take rivers, mostly because i dont think their interested in him that much.

i dont think they take mckelvin or another CB just because signing a CB with the no. 6 pick wont be that much easier than signing a RB. unless of course they get the player to sign a pre draft contract for the minimum salary for the pick.

ellis seems to be a possibility, mostly because kris jenkins doesnt seem to be a long term solution.

derrick harvey seems to be the most likely canidate, he's been shooting up the draft boards of late. he's also similar size to chris long and gholston, although his 40 time is a little slower. and on top of it all, mangini would get a chance to stick it to his old boss, cause the pats are said to be interested in harvey if they cant trade out of their no. 7 pick.

Scott Wright
04-10-2008, 01:00 PM
In that situation, Darren McFadden, Matt Ryan or trade.

JagHombre22
04-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Harvey would be a smart choice....but so would Rivers....that'd be an interesting situation...

Coach_Beavis
04-10-2008, 01:03 PM

i dont think the jets have an ideal cap situation for either mcfadden or ryan, maybe they take one of them and try to hold them hostage for a later first round pick and another pick, but i dont think they have a whole ton of leverage to pull that off.

dont think they would even consider harvery here?

i dont think they will be able to trade out of the pick either, at least not getting full value for the pick anyways.

Yatta!
04-10-2008, 01:03 PM
I think McFadden would have to be the pick, their offense needs a big play threat badly. Otherwise I think they would trade down and grab a corner.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Perhaps Harvey gets a look, but I think the conception that McFadden or Ryan would cost an arm and a leg more than, say, Gholston at the same draft spot is going a bit far. They are likely to make more, but not all that significantly much more.

CC.SD
04-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Unquestionably McFadden. That should be the pick anyway, as much as I like Gholston and Long. Their offense definitely needs a headliner.

Coach_Beavis
04-10-2008, 01:06 PM
I think McFadden would have to be the pick, their offense needs a big play threat badly. Otherwise I think they would trade down and grab a corner.

i dunno, jets are very big on character, and mcfadden is somewhat of a character issue. also, jets have one of the worst cap situations in the league, and signing mcfadden wont exactly be a walk in the park.

ChezPower4
04-10-2008, 01:10 PM

That what i was thinking, there are probably alot of teams that would like have McFadden so i think if there were to be a trade that i would most liklely be for McFadden. I think Ryan would then go to Baltimore.

Geo
04-10-2008, 01:11 PM
I too think McFadden would be the top player on the board, although maybe Sedrick Ellis and then Matt Ryan afterwards. Unless they don't think they could make Ellis and new acquisition Kris Jenkins work together, I suppose, but certainly they can and should improve the front three to set up the rest of their defense.

Brothgar
04-10-2008, 01:14 PM
i dont think the jets have an ideal cap situation for either mcfadden or ryan, maybe they take one of them and try to hold them hostage for a later first round pick and another pick, but i dont think they have a whole ton of leverage to pull that off.

dont think they would even consider harvery here?

i dont think they will be able to trade out of the pick either, at least not getting full value for the pick anyways.

Ha I would love to see the Jets pass on McFadden then see the insuring riot in MSG from Jets fans remember the yelling that went on after they didn't trade up for Reggie Bush? If McFadden was there at the pick and the Jets took a pass. Man they'd need to take out the GM with full body guard. That said they could easily pick McFadden and put him on a back heavy contract so when Thomas Jones retires and that cap space will be then taken up by McFadden

cdub11
04-10-2008, 01:14 PM
i think they take mcfadden regardless, they need some production from the RB position, thomas jones had 1 rushing TD all year

Coach_Beavis
04-10-2008, 01:15 PM
i guess i'm kinda glad that no one is taking the position that they should reach for a cornerback

Geo
04-10-2008, 01:45 PM
i think they take mcfadden regardless, they need some production from the RB position, thomas jones had 1 rushing TD all year
Jones wasn't the problem near as much as the offensive line was, really. The front office made a horrendous move in dealing with and eventually trading away Pete Kendall, nevermind other disappointments elsewhere on the OL. They've addressed it in the offseason, signing Alan Faneca and Damien Woody, so it should help the running game be it Jones, Leon Washington, or another back (McFadden) on the field.

If it is McFadden, the Jets can share the load with veteran Thomas Jones, who very importantly can handle the pass protection and receiving responsibilities that McFadden can't - at least initially.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
04-10-2008, 01:47 PM
i don't know how much of a reach it would be personally, many people have a corner going at #7 to NE if the OLBs are gone.

Rivers is not a possibility IMO

BroadwayJoe10
04-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Like previously mentioned, passing on mcfadden for the sake of saving some cash is not well thought out, anyone in that spot is going to command large money. Yes, the jets do count character high, however if you take a look at safety abram elam you would know he had far worse character concerns than mcfadden and the jets took a chance on him. That's the big reason they have such an extensive interview process; they talk to the player, the players family, coaches and friends to get a sense of this guy.

The jets are a couple june 1st cuts away from being in decent cap shape; there's reports out there that the broncos have a contract already made up for drob, which they would give up a late round 2 pick for him. In that case the jets would have to take the entire cap hit the year he is traded (this year) and would save somethign around 8 mill. Penny is going to be gone the end of this year or sometime soon and his cap hit is quite significant as well. If mcfadden is there and no one offers a good package to trade up, he will most likely be the pick and rightly so.

Thunder&Lightning
04-10-2008, 01:51 PM
ya i say they take mcfadden or trade. Havent been shy of spending money this offseason.

Crickett
04-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Ha I would love to see the Jets pass on McFadden then see the insuring riot in MSG from Jets fans remember the yelling that went on after they didn't trade up for Reggie Bush?

1. The draft is at Radio City Music Hall. And was in 2006 as well. The draft was moved out of MSG in 2005 before of the fight the Dolans put up when the Jets wanted to put a stadium in Manhatten. First to the Javits center and now to Radio City.
2. No, I don't remember yelling that went on after they didn't trade up for Reggie Bush. And I was there.

Now, as to the matter of the Jets drafting Darren McFadden, keep this in mind, the Jets are drafting sixth. So while they would have to Run DMC a hefty contract, they would not have to pay him anything resembling what someone like Reggie Bush got. Also, take a look at what defensive tackles drafted early have been getting (I mean, the Jets still have one, his name is DeWayne Robertson and he was drafted two spots earlier..... five years ago), it doesn't seem like they're going to be able to throw chump change out there unless they draft a punter sixth overall.

Coach_Beavis
04-10-2008, 02:14 PM
1. The draft is at Radio City Music Hall. And was in 2006 as well. The draft was moved out of MSG in 2005 before of the fight the Dolans put up when the Jets wanted to put a stadium in Manhatten. First to the Javits center and now to Radio City.
2. No, I don't remember yelling that went on after they didn't trade up for Reggie Bush. And I was there.

Now, as to the matter of the Jets drafting Darren McFadden, keep this in mind, the Jets are drafting sixth. So while they would have to Run DMC a hefty contract, they would not have to pay him anything resembling what someone like Reggie Bush got. Also, take a look at what defensive tackles drafted early have been getting (I mean, the Jets still have one, his name is DeWayne Robertson and he was drafted two spots earlier..... five years ago), it doesn't seem like they're going to be able to throw chump change out there unless they draft a punter sixth overall.

good point..........

they could draft me and save a ton, i'll play for nfl pocket change

luee
04-10-2008, 02:14 PM
They seemed to have shored up the OL with FAs I would go defensive front seven, probably Ellis.

Brothgar
04-10-2008, 02:18 PM
I stand corrected about Radio City Music Hall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVEHhQ5wTC8&feature=related

This is what I was talking about.

EDIT: Yeah they did cheer the taking of brick though.

Coach_Beavis
04-10-2008, 03:06 PM
They seemed to have shored up the OL with FAs I would go defensive front seven, probably Ellis.

they did trade for chris jenkins, who probably has at least 2-3 years of good ball left in him.

Staubach12
04-10-2008, 03:34 PM

Do you really think they'd give up on Clemens this soon?

Jetfanmack
04-10-2008, 08:44 PM
The real question is what do we do if both Longs, Gholston, and McFadden are gone. I don't think Ryan will be the pick (at least I hope not), but he might be gone, too. In that scenario, we'd probably take a CB, but I pray Gholston (or DMC) falls.

scottyboy
04-10-2008, 08:49 PM
i guess i'm kinda glad that no one is taking the position that they should reach for a cornerback

well, i think it's a very good possibilty. Remember, we're not in the Jets meetings, they could be VERY high on McKelvin or DRC. My cousin and I have been saying, the Jets are a good #2 CB away from being a pretty good D. Pass rushers, especially 3-4 OLB's are not that hard to find(as pass rush is another weakness).

In this situation, I see them trading down though. Perhaps to a team with their hearts set on run DMC, or a team needing/wanting a QB in Ryan and leapfrogging over the Ravens(and pats, but whatever)

toonsterwu
04-10-2008, 09:08 PM
If Chris, Jake, Vernon, and Glenn are off the tables, there's a high probability that McFadden is on there. they would look to draft him, but at this point, I would wonder if Jerry Jones would deal up. Unless I'm mistaken, and I could be as I haven't followed all that closely, his comments have been against dealing into the top 5. I believe he's been specific about that. After that, I think it's certainly a possibility.

If he's not there, then I think Matt Ryan would be, and that would generate some trade discussions as well, as I could see Baltimore flipping a late pick to secure him.

If they are forced to make a pick, the guess here would be McFadden/Ryan/Harvey/DB in that order.

TheBuffaloBills
04-10-2008, 10:01 PM
We should start a Situation Thread

I got one. What do the Bengals do if Ellis, Dorsey, Longs, and Rivers are off the board at their pick.

Do they go with McFadden?

DJC
04-10-2008, 10:05 PM

I got one. What do the Bengals do if Ellis, Dorsey, Longs, and Rivers are off the board at their pick.

Im actually not sure that they would. Does the possiblity of character issues and off-field issues scare them away from possibly the best offensive talent in the league? They may be one of few teams that would take Mendenhall over McFadden. I don't think theres any chance he falls to #9 anyways, someone would trade up at #7 with New England to get him.

keylime_5
04-10-2008, 10:08 PM
McFadden and it's a slam dunk

toonsterwu
04-10-2008, 10:20 PM

If all those guys are off, they could look Derrick Harvey, Mendenhall or McFadden, Devin Thomas, or Jerod Mayo. That would be my foursome. If Merling gets to workout pre-draft, then he could factor in, but not now. I'd probably rate it Harvey/Mendenhall/McFadden/Mayo/Thomas.

SenorGato
04-10-2008, 11:53 PM
McFadden or one of the CBs.

I think this draft has quite a few pass rushers, and I hold out hope that we can grab one of Groves, Avril, Crable, Johnston, Ellis, Robertson, or whoever.

Not that I'd mind Harvey....

ManOverboard
04-11-2008, 04:25 AM
If McFadden is there at 6...they're not taking anyone but McFadden.