PDA

View Full Version : Cato June?

ccB
02-26-2007, 12:57 PM
I see alot of articles that say if we dont resign AD (which we wont) That we would go after Cato June. How would this be possible, if we cant afford AD how would we afford June? Anyone know what hes asking for? I think its highly unlikely but I just wanted to see what everyone thought of the idea.

YouNeverKnow
02-26-2007, 01:09 PM
I think he is a pretty good linebacker but he's probably going to cost more then we are able to afford. I think I heard that he was looking for about 5-6 million per year over 5 years, I'm not sure where I heard that or if its at all reliable so take it with a grain of salt.
He's a cover linebacker in the tampa 2 scheme though and I would prefer someone who has shown the ability to get to the quarterback once and awhile.

Geo
02-26-2007, 01:17 PM
I'd be surprised if June got those figures. Will Witherspoon landed 6 years/33 mil/9 mil sb from the St. Louis Rams last year, but Witherspoon is the better linebacker and offered versatility between WLB and MLB - the Rams ultimately played him at the latter.

June might actually work with the Ravens, having those two behemoths in Gregg and Ngata up front occupying blockers so that he can use his speed. Maybe Sugar Ray and the Ravens coaching staff will have better luck in teaching June how to tackle than the Colts did in 4 years.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-26-2007, 01:50 PM
June might demand a contract near AD's so if we could keep him obviously that would be ideal but I like June's versatility but not his run stopping.

Ravens1991
02-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Ehh I am not so sure about the move, the run stopping thing is the main question, I would prefer us shelling out money for maybe Steinbach instead of June.

ccB
02-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Ehh I am not so sure about the move, the run stopping thing is the main question, I would prefer us shelling out money for maybe Steinbach instead of June.I dont think we can afford Steinbach, hes gonna get Steve Hutchinson money and if we cant afford Thomas we cant afford that.

I wouldnt mind getting June, sure hes not huge but hes super athletic which seems to be a common thing for a ravens defensive player.

bearsfan_51
02-26-2007, 02:41 PM
No way Steinbech gets Hutchison money. I realize the market is going to hyper-inflate peoples numbers, but not to the tune of 7 years 50 million.

ccB
02-26-2007, 02:48 PM
No way Steinbech gets Hutchison money. I realize the market is going to hyper-inflate peoples numbers, but not to the tune of 7 years 50 million.
Well even if he doesnt make HUch money he will still be making more than we can afford.

EdReedUnstoppable
02-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Im a big time supporter of the bring Cato "summertime" June to Baltimore, btw I just gave him that nickname god just admire my genious! :)

He is athletic plays hard, he's got speed and speed kills my friends!

ccB
02-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Im a big time supporter of the bring Cato "summertime" June to Baltimore, btw I just gave him that nickname god just admire my genious! :)

He is athletic plays hard, he's got speed and speed kills my friends!

Losing Adalius Thomas means we lose our fastest LB so why not replace him with another crazy athletic player.

Ravens1991
02-26-2007, 05:17 PM
has he had blitzing expierence any time in his career?

ccB
02-26-2007, 05:18 PM

If we got him wed be switching back to the primary 4-3 because hes too small to play OLB ina 3-4. So pass rushing wouldnt be a huge concern. He gets by on his athleticism and speed. He reminds me almost like Thomas Davis of Carolina. Hes basically a Rover.

Ravens1991
02-26-2007, 05:19 PM
correct, I wonder if Ryan will want to keep his 3-4/4-3hybrid so who knows.

ccB
02-26-2007, 05:21 PM
correct, I wonder if Ryan will want to keep his 3-4/4-3hybrid so who knows.

Well we could still keep it. I mean we were never a primarily 3-4 team we switch throughout the game. So we could still use 3-4 looks with Jarrett Johnson taking Adalius' place. But we could use 4-3 as our main look if we got June.

YouNeverKnow
02-26-2007, 05:21 PM

I can't say for his college career but in the NFL he has rarely been sent on blitzes. He's primarily a cover linebacker in the Colts scheme. In his 4 years in the NFL he has 1 sack.

EdReedUnstoppable
02-26-2007, 06:22 PM
I can't say for his college career but in the NFL he has rarely been sent on blitzes. He's primarily a cover linebacker in the Colts scheme. In his 4 years in the NFL he has 1 sack.

I garauntee if he signs here.......no less than 8 sacks in his first year here, Rex knows how to get guys freed up and get runs at the QB. While June may be undersized dude can hit and he'll light some QBs up if he comes here. I dont think he'll be here however because I believe he'll ask for AD type money. :(

YouNeverKnow
02-26-2007, 07:42 PM
I garauntee if he signs here.......no less than 8 sacks in his first year here, Rex knows how to get guys freed up and get runs at the QB. While June may be undersized dude can hit and he'll light some QBs up if he comes here. I dont think he'll be here however because I believe he'll ask for AD type money. :(

I don't know about 8 sacks since that is quite a large number, but I would guess about 5. I just figure that Ryan does a good job of playing to his players strengths so Scott would see an increase in his number of blitzes while June would more be a cover linebacker. He would get way more chances either way though since everyone including the waterboy blitzes in Ryan's system.

I really doubt that he would come here though, we just don't have the cap space this year.

niel89
02-26-2007, 07:50 PM
since everyone including the waterboy blitzes in Ryan's system.

he is a damn good blitzer though http://uregina.ca/~pearsona/reviews/divids/waterboy5.jpg

jkpigskin
02-26-2007, 08:09 PM
not really a fan getting june, but any player plays better with ray lewis next to him...

wat scares me of june is his tackling... hes got all the speed in the world, but his tackling worries me

niel89
02-26-2007, 08:13 PM
but any player plays better with ray lewis next to him...

so true he just elevates those around him.

BigDawg819
02-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Not a fan of June, and I don't see him as a player for us. Besides we have more pressing needs that need to be signed in house plus Terrell Suggs is only under contract for another year. You think AD is gonna get paid, wait for Suggs' contract!

ccB
02-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Not a fan of June, and I don't see him as a player for us. Besides we have more pressing needs that need to be signed in house plus Terrell Suggs is only under contract for another year. You think AD is gonna get paid, wait for Suggs' contract!

Theres no way the Ravens let Suggs get away from the team. Theres a huge difference betwee Suggs and THomas.

dcarey20
02-28-2007, 10:50 PM
please no cato june. he is going to get wayyy more money than he deserves. misses too many tackles.

BigDawg819
03-01-2007, 01:06 AM
Theres no way the Ravens let Suggs get away from the team. Theres a huge difference betwee Suggs and THomas.

There is a huge difference between them and I hope they resign him as soon as possible. But again I make mention to this "Patriot Way" that we seem to moving towards and wonder with what this upcoming free agent market is going to dictate moneywise for players will effect his contract negotiations.

niel89
03-01-2007, 01:31 AM
There is a huge difference between them and I hope they resign him as soon as possible. But again I make mention to this "Patriot Way" that we seem to moving towards and wonder with what this upcoming free agent market is going to dictate moneywise for players will effect his contract negotiations.

but the 'patriot way' does make sure they keep a hold on the more important players on their team (Brady/Semore)

BigDawg819
03-01-2007, 02:46 AM
but the 'patriot way' does make sure they keep a hold on the more important players on their team (Brady/Semore)

True, but take into account that Brady's deal was with a "hometeam" discount, he would have gotten more on the open market. Plus with Ed Reed's comment about the Thomas' situation at the Pro Bowl, there may well be some rumblings in the locker room about the franchise and how players are being taken care of. Here's hoping I'm way of base here but these are things that need to be considered.

Troj2man
03-01-2007, 04:02 AM
There are a number of reasons why the Ravens are letting AD walk. Money,age, and Terrell Suggs are all factors into not retaining AD. The Ravens know that they have to pay Suggs. Could you imagine how much cap room would be taken up by the LB's if we re-signed AD, and then had to turn around and give Suggs a new deal? You can't tie all that money into one position. So the Ravens are doing the smart thing and sticking with the younger player in Suggs. This team has at the most a 2 year window to seriously contend for a superbowl and then it's time to rebuild. You're not going to rebuild with a 30 year old LB in AD. Terrell Suggs will get his payday, and play all of his pro career here in Baltimore.

RaVeNFaNaCtIc
03-01-2007, 05:28 AM
I wouldn't mind Cato June, he could learn alot from Bart, Ray, and all the other defensive stars onm the team.

BTW maddenplayer52 is back this is my new account, i think my old account is gone :confused:

ccB
03-01-2007, 07:55 AM
There are a number of reasons why the Ravens are letting AD walk. Money,age, and Terrell Suggs are all factors into not retaining AD. The Ravens know that they have to pay Suggs. Could you imagine how much cap room would be taken up by the LB's if we re-signed AD, and then had to turn around and give Suggs a new deal? You can't tie all that money into one position. So the Ravens are doing the smart thing and sticking with the younger player in Suggs. This team has at the most a 2 year window to seriously contend for a superbowl and then it's time to rebuild. You're not going to rebuild with a 30 year old LB in AD. Terrell Suggs will get his payday, and play all of his pro career here in Baltimore.

Your exactly right, thats the reason I wasnt too sad to see Thomas go. Hes probably already peaked as a player and theres no where to go but down.

niel89
03-01-2007, 11:55 AM

exactly, they dont want to tie up all this money for only a two year window and then have to purge.

Ravens1991
03-01-2007, 02:17 PM
I agree, the bright side is that we will have a lot more room for T-sizzle, and I see 13+ sack potential and him being a elite 3-4 OLB.

EdReedUnstoppable
03-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Correct me if Im wrong but isnt Suggs just now about to turn 25 and he's been here for 4 years?