PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Albert to LT?

LarryJohnson27
04-10-2008, 06:31 PM
There's been alot of talk lately about Albert playing LT in the NFL. Do you guys think he can make the move? Also, what's his potential at LT?

bored of education
04-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Look at my thread in the KC team forum

NO WAY IN HELL IS HE GOING TO BE SUCCESSFUL AT LT IN THE NEXT 3-4 years.

The Legend
04-10-2008, 06:43 PM
i wouldnt say no way but he would be way beter at Guard or Right Tackle
i think he just wants to get paid LT money

bam bam
04-10-2008, 06:49 PM
RT would be intriguing

toonsterwu
04-10-2008, 07:01 PM
There's been alot of talk lately about Albert playing LT in the NFL. Do you guys think he can make the move? Also, what's his potential at LT?

His physical skillset is better suited for LT than RT or G, but it's a matter of how quick he can learn the position. I'm not sure how you want to quantify potential, but his potential for LT is high because of the physical fit. I mean ... arguably, he would have the highest LT potential out of the top 5 OL candidates. It's a matter of learning the position, which is easier said than done.

keylime_5
04-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Reminds me of a longer Vernon Carey. I think he could play left tackle successfully at the next level, he's certainly quick enough. He'd be a good fit there in Carolina where they like their linemen to be quick but good mauling run blockers.

JagHombre22
04-10-2008, 07:36 PM
He actually reminds me a lot of Maurice Williams....Williams was an outstanding tackle coming out of Michigan but due to injuries and actually being benched he moved to guard and was an excellent guard last season...

they actually have similar physical attributes as well

Paranoidmoonduck
04-10-2008, 07:45 PM
He has the physical ability and seems to have a good enough work ethic, because the switch will likely not be easy. However, I believe (and Toonster can correct me, as he has watched infinitely more UVA ball) that Albert looked just as good in the few games he manned the left tackle spot in college. There have been players where I would have considered the switch impossible, or at least detrimental enough to be pointless. Albert is not one of those players. He might struggle a bit as a rookie, but I don't think he would definitely have more trouble blocking the blindside his freshman year than someone like Jeff Otah would.

Geo
04-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Yes, I definitely think he can.

If we're throwing out comparisons, then on measurables and athleticism, he reminds me of Tony Ugoh. Ugoh had concerns about being a left tackle in the league, some concerns stemming from him being a two-sport athlete at Arkansas. But he's a DANCING BEAR, he's got the feet, the long arms, the agility, and the ability to run-block down the field. I think Albert can do the same, he's got the traits going for him but hasn't had the full opportunity.

Give him a shot at LT, he can get it done imo. Recent first round picks like Jamaal Brown and Joe Staley started off at RT for their rookie seasons, but I'd let Albert play at LT from the very first day he's part of the team. He's more suited for LT anyways, but let him get every snap as it's all valuable experience. Speaking on Ugoh again, every snap he gained in preseason was so valuable, and it continued on through the season.

bored of education
04-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Too many what if's, more so than Otah, Williams, Clady. I woudnt switch him to LT. I watched him play and if you check out the two youtube videos he wasn't dominant. He showed solid footwork, good downfield blocking on Safeties and Cornerbacks. But was never an Orlando Pace, Ogden, Boselli, Thomas, Brown, McNeil type of presence on the field. Otah shows more signs of a potential dominant LT prospect than Albert.

bored of education
04-10-2008, 08:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0icShpz5_XI

a video of albert v. maryland a team with no real threats on the Dline.

1st play: got beat, held his own for a split second then got beat
2nd play: nice pull, missed his guy, got a HAND on him, was in right position though, showed athleticism
3rd play: got beat
4th: was in right place missed the chip block, the othet team took themselves out of the play
5th play: decent pull, but didnt hit anyone almost fell on his face
6th play: finally ap lyed he looked good..nice down field block and nice block on the corner/safety
7th play: got down field blah
8th play: nice pull didnt hit anyone not his fault
9th play: nice seal best block yet on a guy who toasted him before
10th play: not bad of a pull decent block on a linebacker

i wasnt overally impressed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxgwao29NuE

1st play: nice block, i would say that was a better block than most in the maryland game
2nd play: ehh nothing much
3rd play: decent block there i wouldrather have seen him maul him down field more, wasnt stout at the point and almost got beat
4th: nice pull, solid footwork, good block on the 200 lb Kenny phillips
5th play: showed goot footwork, decent pull block, got his body into the DB
6th play: number 54 looks weak though, he did make a nice solid block..didnt over power the puny player
7th play: this was a very nice play, good footwork, solid block, got underneath the pads, i wish i sent him back mroe he had about 80 lbs on that guy and should have owned him
8th play: nice block on 54 who is obivously weak and small
9th: solid nothing great

POINT IS this guy is not top 10 starting LT material. Those are two games against some blahhhh teams

quick analysis of just those videos

Don Vito
04-10-2008, 08:12 PM
He reminds me of Logan Mankins actually, just more gifted.

tom
04-11-2008, 03:51 AM
He'd be great playing in San Diego with LT... Great rushing lanes man

CC.SD
04-11-2008, 04:13 AM
He'd be great playing in San Diego with LT... Great rushing lanes man

I'd love to see him on our right side. Not realistic at this point though; his rise has been absolutely meteoric.

ammandss
04-11-2008, 02:34 PM
He looked pretty decent in the games he played at left tackle. I wasn't paying too much attention because I didn't even realize he was a left tackle until halfway through the game and I was watching the game on my laptop. But I don't remember anything bad and I remember a few nice plays.

EDIT: That's for the Middle Tennessee game. As for the Pittsburgh game, it was such a blowout that it was hard to evaluate.

Larry121283
04-21-2008, 08:29 AM
I think the perfect comparison for him is Vernon Carey. Just a little better than.

He would be a serviceable left tackle, maybe at times flash great play at the position...but as a tackle, is best on the right. However, his best position, where he would play at a Pro Bowl level regularly would be at left/right guard.

The problem is, when you take a guy like Albert so high and invest so much money in him, you almost try to hard to put him at a premium position instead of maximizing his talent and putting him at his best spot to succeed.

It happened a few years back with Leonard Davis. The Cards tried and tried to put him at LT, but he would play at a Pro Bowl level at RG. But, he had such a cap figure...the Cards just kept trying to force him into that LT spot because of his cap number instead of playing him at RG regularly.

Vernon Carey is similar in the same way. Played well at LT, but is best on the right side and even better at offensive guard, but because he is a first rounder with a high cap figure, his production isn't maximized and they try putting him in a position that may not do that.

If I am an NFL team, and I am convinced he can be a legit stud, it doesn't matter where I take him, I'm putting him at guard and I'm having myself an elite guard for 15 years. Maybe in a pinch, kick him out to tackle...he is versatile to do that, but considering the money going around for guards in the last few years, upwards of $50M for some...grabbing a guard early in the draft isn't or shouldn't be as taboo and some think it would be.

Quagmire
04-21-2008, 08:59 AM
I say why move him when it looks like he can be a big time G. Guards are getting pd big time $$ now. Why not use him at his natural position?

Joeyjr09
04-21-2008, 09:59 AM
I say why move him when it looks like he can be a big time G. Guards are getting pd big time $$ now. Why not use him at his natural position?

If he goes top 10 he will be the highest paid OG in the NFL.

Shane P. Hallam
04-21-2008, 10:19 AM
He played LT in college, it isn't as if this would be a completely new position.

Quagmire
04-21-2008, 10:20 AM
If he goes top 10 he will be the highest paid OG in the NFL.

Joe,

Pretty much anyone who goes top 5 to 10 will be among the highest pd at their positions. Thats why this system needs to be changed so that the top pks are not killing teams' salary structure.....

BallerT1215
04-22-2008, 12:10 AM
This thread reminded me that both Kiper/McShay were talking on ESPN (Mostly Kiper) of how most teams would want to move Albert to LT.

I really don't think it would be a good decision but who knows.

bam bam
04-22-2008, 12:19 AM

Because its a lot easier to stick in some average joe at guard than at tackle. If he has the potential to be a good LT/RT then you get better value out of the pick and a better O-line.

KaneMarko
04-22-2008, 08:23 AM

I went back and watch Virginia at Maryland yesterday and keyed in on Alberts. The kid certainly moves well. I came away, overall, thinking he looked pretty good and like what I saw.

Having said that, I would NOT pick him at 5. Not saying that he isn't or won't be good. I just feel really leery about spending such a premium pick on a guard and trying to convert him to LT when he only played the position a few times. At such a valuable pick I want something a little more concrete. There are no sure things in the draft. But I think there are more "sure" picks than Albert.

Don't get me wrong. I really liked what I saw of him in that particular game, for the most part. But I don't want to spend that high of a pick on some guy you're trying to convert to fill one of our biggest needs. If Long and Dorsey are gone, which they probably will be, the next guy on my list is Sed Ellis.

And assuming this trade for Allen goes through sometime between now and the time the Vikes go on the clock Saturday, you can get Gosder Cherilus with the Vikes' pick. He may not be LT material. But he has the potential to be a hellified RT.

I just feel really leery about picking Alberts as high as 5th.

Iamcanadian
04-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Albert is the #2 OT on team's boards because he is projected to be a very solid LT prospect. He will definitely be drafted to play LT and until he flops if he ever does, that is the position he will play in the NFL. That is why he is now getting some serious concideration for the #5 pick.

tom
04-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Albert is a guard... playing him at tackle is ridiculous... he has the potential to be either an ok tackle or a top notch guard... he could be the next alan faneca... why play him at tackle, what a waste