PDA

View Full Version : What's the Bucs' biggest need?

sprawwl
04-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Pretty simple question, could have a pretty complex answer depending on your perspective. According to the "Team Needs" feature:
(1) DT
(2) WR
(3) CB

My two cents:
Defensive tackle is obviously a huge need - they run (and will continue to run) a cover-2, so they need DT who can stuff the run and rush the QB. Now - if they have Warren Sapp, that's lovely, but... they don't have Warren Sapp anymore.

Wide receiver, I think they're okay for right now. Galloway's still functional, and Hilliard, Clayton, and Stovall are essentially clones of a solid, reliable WR2/WR3 type. Bryant could turn into something special. It's a need, but not a major need.

Cornerback is, I think, the team's second-biggest need. They lost Brian Kelly, and Ronde Barber isn't as good as he used to be (no offense, but everybody slows down sooner or later).

Y'all's thoughts?

Caddy
04-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Those are pretty easily the 3 biggest needs in my opinion although I think that their order can definitely be moved around a bit. We definitely need help at all three of those positions.

Beans
04-10-2008, 10:26 PM
A DE would be nice to compliment Adams/White as well.

Caddy
04-10-2008, 10:42 PM
A DE would be nice to compliment Adams/White as well.

With Carter, Douglas, Chukwurah and Wilkerson I'm not so sure that will happen now.

etk
04-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Defensive tackle because it's such an important position and we really lack depth unless one of our hybrid linemen steps up as a pass rusher. I don't think WR is a big need immediately but we definitely need to develop a CB now.

Boomer27
04-11-2008, 01:50 PM
A good young QB would be nice, cause what we have aint that much. Garcia is good for one more.

etk
04-11-2008, 11:58 PM
A good young QB would be nice....if we could carry 8 on the active roster...

Tampa 2 4 life
04-12-2008, 04:49 PM
A good young QB would be nice....if we could carry 8 on the active roster...

Grads - Cut, and Simms is as good as gone...

Kyle Wright FTW.

sprawwl
04-12-2008, 05:52 PM

Kyle Wright FTW.

Dear lord, I hope we don't get Kyle Wright. Saw him play in college... not exactly Superman... not exactly Clark Kent... not exactly what I'd call a decent player.

dbtb135
04-13-2008, 03:04 AM
I'm all for a dominant UT as much as, if not moreso than, the next guy. But WR is undoubtedly our biggest need. Neither look like good options in round 1 of this draft though.

etk
04-13-2008, 08:45 AM

Kyle Wright FTW.

Trade Simms for a decent pick and you can call Josh Johnson ours.

duane75
04-13-2008, 06:28 PM
We need a RB our offensive line made Earnest Graham.Cadillac would of ran for 1500 yards if he would of stayed healthy.Face it he got a flat Mendenhall or Stewart thats a must in round one.Our young offensive line is ready to maul why go with 6th or 7th round talent behind that line.

Crickett
04-13-2008, 06:35 PM
A de-aging machine for Joey Galloway.

duane75
04-13-2008, 06:39 PM
How about de-aging Garcia atleast Galloway can still run.

etk
04-13-2008, 07:49 PM
How about de-aging Garcia atleast Galloway can still run.

Then Garcia would be back in the CFL....

duane75
04-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Then Garcia would be back in the CFL....

AGREE! Im still not ready to give up on Simms.Remember he did put that pass in Edell Shepards hands a few years ago in the playoffs against the skins.we did draft Trueblood and Joseph to watch his back to.I just hope i walk away from the draft happy with the Chuckie Allen pick lol

etk
04-13-2008, 08:10 PM
haha one pass and he should be starting? Good point though about how he "led" us to the 2nd round of the playoffs basically. Simms is a good QB, but not the greatest fit for our offense.

duane75
04-13-2008, 08:14 PM
haha one pass and he should be starting? Good point though about how he "led" us to the 2nd round of the playoffs basically. Simms is a good QB, but not the greatest fit for our offense.

ATLEAST HE CAN THROW THE BALL AND cLAYTON WAS VERY PRODUCTIVE WITH HIM

Caddy
04-13-2008, 08:15 PM

Why are you yelling at etk? lol.

etk
04-13-2008, 08:16 PM
So was Galloway. Simms develops great relationships with his #1s from his time at Texas with Roy Williams. Roy loves Simms.

lol@caps.

duane75
04-13-2008, 08:16 PM
oops lol didnt see that

duane75
04-13-2008, 08:17 PM
i would still trade the draft for Dorsey i miss that bad a$$ dt

etk
04-13-2008, 08:18 PM
I'd trade a lot for Dorsey or Ellis. They're rare talents for our defense, but Laws and Moore are solid as well.

dbtb135
04-14-2008, 12:04 AM

Clayton was only "very productive" with Griese, and for one season. Not with Griese the next season, not with Simms, not with Grads, not with Rattay, not with Garcia, and not really even with Luke.

Sidney
04-16-2008, 08:07 PM
QB of the future
WR
WLB of the future- don't tell me that Cato June stuff.
DT
CB

Tampa 2 4 life
04-16-2008, 08:09 PM
QB of the future
WLB of the future- don't tell me that Cato June stuff.

Can I interest you in that Quincy black Stuff...?

Captain Fear
04-16-2008, 08:21 PM

Exactly. Until DB retires there is no rush to find his replacement. Until then we should just try and have mid-round LBs in behind hoping one pans out. If they don't, and DB retires, then we grab a stud LB in the first round and its done.

Out of curiosity, why is June not an adaquate replacement for the mid-run?

Caddy
04-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Considering Cato June held down the weakside for a Superbowl winning team, I don't see why having him at weakside would be such a good move. Maybe you could enlighten us on why such a move would be so bad Sidney?

etk
04-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Cato June is playing the strongside right now and he will continue to do so until he retires. Traditionally in our system the WLB is bigger than the SLB so Black (240) will assume Brooks' role where I think he will be a solid, capable starter.

Don't sleep on Adam Hayward either. I think he has starter potential at WLB and MLB.

Sidney
04-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Considering Cato June held down the weakside for a Superbowl winning team, I don't see why having him at weakside would be such a good move. Maybe you could enlighten us on why such a move would be so bad Sidney?

Did you miss that year seeing him get run over left and right that year? He's not the kind of tackler that you really want to funnel plays to which is why the Colts had no fear of letting him go and no one else was all that eager to sign him. He works at the SLB because we've had any group of mediocre players manning that spot and looking just fine.

Sidney
04-17-2008, 09:40 AM

Ummm, yeah sure. Unproven nobody, He's not the kind of guy you pass on an elite prospect for. That's like saying we don't need a QB because we have McCown or a LOT because we have Donald Penn.

etk
04-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Did you miss that year seeing him get run over left and right that year? He's not the kind of tackler that you really want to funnel plays to which is why the Colts had no fear of letting him go and no one else was all that eager to sign him. He works at the SLB because we've had any group of mediocre players manning that spot and looking just fine.

I agree that June is not the answer at WLB, but it's not an issue because we're just plugging him at SLB where he's an upgrade over Nece.

Ummm, yeah sure. Unproven nobody, He's not the kind of guy you pass on an elite prospect for. That's like saying we don't need a QB because we have McCown or a LOT because we have Donald Penn.

I'm sorry but there aren't enough first round picks to go around to allow a team to constantly upgrade positions where they already have solid young starters. If you think that's how football works you should start watching more basketball.

Sidney
04-17-2008, 01:21 PM
I agree that June is not the answer at WLB, but it's not an issue because we're just plugging him at SLB where he's an upgrade over Nece.

I'm sorry but there aren't enough first round picks to go around to allow a team to constantly upgrade positions where they already have solid young starters. If you think that's how football works you should start watching more basketball.

OK how exactly is he a solid young starter? He's never started a game and 24 tackles isn't proof of anything. Hey, good news we can stop worrying about WR since we've got Maurice Stovall?

If there was a top end WLB prospect there to be had at our pick (and there won't be really) nothing Black has shown is enough to say that he's so clearly "the man" that you don't take the guy becuase of the value in the system. You don't want to spend picks on places you do have guys and even a guy like Greg White isn't a lock down sure thing but he's shown loads more than Black has.

The real problem for the Bucs is that where they sit there's not a lot of guys you really want unless you want to dip your toe into the pool and overdraft one of the WR's.

etk
04-17-2008, 03:49 PM
OK how exactly is he a solid young starter? He's never started a game and 24 tackles isn't proof of anything. Hey, good news we can stop worrying about WR since we've got Maurice Stovall?

If there was a top end WLB prospect there to be had at our pick (and there won't be really) nothing Black has shown is enough to say that he's so clearly "the man" that you don't take the guy becuase of the value in the system. You don't want to spend picks on places you do have guys and even a guy like Greg White isn't a lock down sure thing but he's shown loads more than Black has.

The real problem for the Bucs is that where they sit there's not a lot of guys you really want unless you want to dip your toe into the pool and overdraft one of the WR's.

Black is not a solid young starter. Penn and McCown appear to be on that road. Once Black is given the chance there is no reason to believe he won't be a good linebacker. He has the physical tools and athletic ability along with the infrastructure to help him improve. We develop our defensive players very well and Black is surrounded by veterans that will help him. Our linebackers are set with Brooks, June, Ruud, Nece, Black, Lehman, Heyward, Cash and McCoy....so sorry if I think it's ridiculous to say we need to draft one. If we draft this WLBotF like you say we should, what happens if he's a backup as a rookie and only gets 30 tackles? Do we give up on him too and draft another one? Maybe if Black actually saw the field on defense you would be able to criticize his play and say he's behind in his development, but he played behind 4 Pro Bowl caliber/former PBc linebackers last year. Give him a ******* chance.

As for Stovall, I don't think we need to worry about adding another possession receiver when we have Stovall and Clayton. The reason we need a receiver is because Galloway and Hilliard are old and we need more speed. Stovall, Clayton, Bryant and Warren can't be relied upon entirely, because none of them are big play guys.

Sidney
04-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Our linebackers are set with Brooks, June, Ruud, Nece, Black, Lehman, Heyward, Cash and McCoy....so sorry if I think it's ridiculous to say we need to draft one.

Wow, you grossly overate our backups - then again you think Penn and McCown are promising players so your talent eval isn't tippy top now is it?

Brooks is old, June is a competent SLB in the vein of every other stiff we've had out there, Ruud is a bonafide young stud and the rest are deep on the roster junk every NFL team has and no one would miss Lehman, Cash, McCoy or Heyward. I think Black has a future but that future is where he is right now, SLB and I suspect he'll be better than June because he's stronger at the point of attack. Did you think Marquis Cooper was a promising young player as well?

Caddy
04-17-2008, 06:53 PM
The fact that you are dismissing a player because he hasn't had any substantial experience is absolutely absurd. Tom Brady only threw 3 passes his rookie year, should the Pats have given up on him and drafted another QB?

etk
04-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Wow, you grossly overate our backups - then again you think Penn and McCown are promising players so your talent eval isn't tippy top now is it?

Brooks is old, June is a competent SLB in the vein of every other stiff we've had out there, Ruud is a bonafide young stud and the rest are deep on the roster junk every NFL team has and no one would miss Lehman, Cash, McCoy or Heyward. I think Black has a future but that future is where he is right now, SLB and I suspect he'll be better than June because he's stronger at the point of attack. Did you think Marquis Cooper was a promising young player as well?

Teams sign and draft players to develop them for their roster. Your idea of rapidly dismissing and abandoning players before they're given a fair chance would only set the franchise back years as no player would be competent enough for your high starters. We have linebackers on the roster that deserve a chance to contribute....if they don't perform then we will re-evaluate the position. Nothing would get a coaching staff and front office fired quicker than releasing young players that become stars elsewhere. Plus with the way the salary cap is built you simply can't afford to sign and draft a bunch of players only to scrap them for new ones every year.

You have very little grasp of the business of football, and like I said earlier, you may want to take up basketball instead because in basketball you only have 5 players on a court at a time therefore it is easier to whine about mediocrity and continually replace and upgrade positions.

Captain Fear
04-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Although things have derailed a bit, what I think Sidney was suggesting is that if there is a sure fire, can't miss stud available we take him. As long as that position is not secure with a young stud already (in the bucs case would be Guard and maybe Safety) taking BPA is the way to go. This strategy has worked well for the Pats and Giants (ex. Giants taking Kiwi, Tuck and Pats taking Wilfork, maybe Ellis this year). Bellichek has already stated that taking a player who you know will help a couple years down the road is more important than taking a chance on a need player that will help immediatly.

However, in the case of LB, this is probably a moot point since a special talent will not be availble in the 1st, and any second round pick would unlikely be an upgrade over Black at this point.

d34ng3l021
04-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Ze Bucs have no biggest need. Zey are neerly perfekt.

Check out this signature for the Bucs I saw on some other site. It nearly made me a fan.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9894/buccsqc9.png

Chucky
04-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Ze Bucs have no biggest need. Zey are neerly perfekt.

Check out this signature for the Bucs I saw on some other site. It nearly made me a fan.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9894/buccsqc9.png

Im going to take that one. Thanks

d34ng3l021
04-18-2008, 03:09 PM
You didnt get it from me.

That sig would be so much better if it werent a Bucs sig though.

etk
04-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Although things have derailed a bit, what I think Sidney was suggesting is that if there is a sure fire, can't miss stud available we take him. As long as that position is not secure with a young stud already (in the bucs case would be Guard and maybe Safety) taking BPA is the way to go. This strategy has worked well for the Pats and Giants (ex. Giants taking Kiwi, Tuck and Pats taking Wilfork, maybe Ellis this year). Bellichek has already stated that taking a player who you know will help a couple years down the road is more important than taking a chance on a need player that will help immediatly.

However, in the case of LB, this is probably a moot point since a special talent will not be availble in the 1st, and any second round pick would unlikely be an upgrade over Black at this point.

The Pats are known as a team that takes the best fit for their system, with BPA being secondary to fit....I doubt they take Ellis.

Lately we have been a team that drafts for need. That is why many of our recent picks have contributed very quickly. I don't see that changing any time soon, as our first 3 picks this year will likely be WR, CB and DT in no order.

Sidney
04-19-2008, 04:01 PM

Dear god, at least someone can read rather than blathering about basketball. If Keith Rivers somehow fell to us, the unknown potential in Black is simply not a good enough reason to pass on him - let alone the rest of the nobodies mention.

Sidney
04-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Teams sign and draft players to develop them for their roster. Your idea of rapidly dismissing and abandoning players before they're given a fair chance would only set the franchise back years as no player would be competent enough for your high starters.

Strawman alert! Nothing says we have to cut Black, let's cut Heyward or Lehman or McCoy or any other disposable member of the LB corps.

Teams draft a lot of guys and a very small % of those players work out to be starters let alone impact players. The odds are vastly against Black being "the guy" at a vital spot. Your logic says that because we have young guys like Stovall and Warren we don't need a WR because we are developing them despite the fact that they really haven't shown anything. I like Black but he's also not a guy that in terms of performance or cost you bet the franchise on.

Again, likely not an issue since this is a weak LB class.

Sidney
04-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Frankly given the needs and the way this draft is gonna fall I'd not be shocked to see us trade down since I'm increasingly not sure there is an R1 WR on the boards and it doesn't look like there is a huge talent difference between where we are and R2. If someone wants a QB (BAL if they miss on Ryan at 8) might want to move up to get Brohm and that's an opportunity.

etk
04-19-2008, 10:06 PM
1) You're underrating Quincy Black
2) You're overrating Keith Rivers.

Rivers would not be a worthy enough upgrade over Black to be worth our 1st round pick. Sorry. Once again, ask any draft scout and they'll tell you the draft is moving toward more of a need/fit based system than talent or BPA. Your idea of "let's upgrade positions where we may have someone who can readily contribute" does not work anymore. We have needs to be addressed, and that's the way it should be done. Unless we can draft Keith Rivers to play LB and start Quincy Black at CB, Teddy Lehman at WR and Adam Hayward at DT, it just ain't workin....

Sidney
04-20-2008, 07:14 AM
1) You're underrating Quincy Black
2) You're overrating Keith Rivers.

Rivers would not be a worthy enough upgrade over Black to be worth our 1st round pick. Sorry. Once again, ask any draft scout and they'll tell you the draft is moving toward more of a need/fit based system than talent or BPA. Your idea of "let's upgrade positions where we may have someone who can readily contribute" does not work anymore. We have needs to be addressed, and that's the way it should be done. Unless we can draft Keith Rivers to play LB and start Quincy Black at CB, Teddy Lehman at WR and Adam Hayward at DT, it just ain't workin....

What has Black done for you to rate him anything? He's a mid round prospect from a crappy conference who got less than 30 tackles. There's nothing there that says "sure thing".

Once again the problem with your little theory that you continue to be a royally smug jerk about is that you assume that Black = no need at the spot. He's the backup SLB, not WLB you might note, so it looks a lot like a need to me if the right guy is there. Frankly other than OG and S there's not a spot on this team that does not need an upgrade and reinforcement. You seem to think this is a talented team and not what it really was which is a marginal team that got fat on a terrible conference and needs a lot of upgrades across the board to be a serious contender even in the weak NFC.

Tampa 2 4 life
04-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Kind of On The Same Topic:

Let's say we think we do have a need at either OLB position(It's obvious the coaches think we need more depth here with the signings). Jarod Mayo is sitting at 20 at 242 running a 4.54 and being a beast in College.

Let's say all the LTs are gone, Devin Thomas and D-Jax is gone, and the only DEs left are Merling and Campbll. Do we bite?

etk
04-20-2008, 12:46 PM
What has Black done for you to rate him anything? He's a mid round prospect from a crappy conference who got less than 30 tackles. There's nothing there that says "sure thing".

Once again the problem with your little theory that you continue to be a royally smug jerk about is that you assume that Black = no need at the spot. He's the backup SLB, not WLB you might note, so it looks a lot like a need to me if the right guy is there. Frankly other than OG and S there's not a spot on this team that does not need an upgrade and reinforcement. You seem to think this is a talented team and not what it really was which is a marginal team that got fat on a terrible conference and needs a lot of upgrades across the board to be a serious contender even in the weak NFC.

Wow....everything you spout of is lies and ignorance. Black was a 1st day pick from a mid-major conference. He played the same position for the same team that Brian Urlacher played for. He got less than 30 tackles playing special teams and a little backup duty as he was behind Brooks, Ruud, June, Nece and Trotter, all veterans with substantial starting experience.

Why does he deserve a fair starting chance? He was a first day pick and he's the best athlete we've ever had at LB. You don't give up on a player with his athletic ability without giving him a chance. I hate Sabby Piscitelli but even I can admit that he deserves a chance after Phillips is gone.

When Ronde Barber was a 3rd round pick he was absolutely awful our first year. Our coaches almost cut him but the fact that he was a 1st day pick forced them to stick with him and the rest is history. You have to be a colossal moron to draft a player and abandon him so soon, it shows instability in management.

You're right, our team isn't perfect. Upgrades would be great at a lot of positions, but if we went ahead and upgraded OLB, LT and QB, we would have among the worst WRs, DTs and CBs for years. Your logic is ridiculous because we simply don't have enough draft picks for minor upgrades at positions, otherwise we'll be ignoring needs at positions where we genuinely have no one.

Honestly this argument is pathetic. You have no grasp of roster management and there's not a person in this world that would agree with your philosophy. Your negativity and pessimism is depressing me and I'm done with listening to you.

Our coaches felt we needed depth at LB and they addressed it. I like Mayo a lot but his only fit on our defense is at MLB. He would not be a significant upgrade at OLB, surely not enough to warrant a top 20 pick.

I think we're more likely to reach on a WR or DT than draft Campbell or Merling. We have depth at DE but frankly the players are not good: Wilkerson, Douglas and Carter just aren't impact pass rushers. I wouldn't mind seeing us draft Campbell or Merling and cutting one of those 3, but I don't think it's likely.

sprawwl
04-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Kind of On The Same Topic:

Let's say we think we do have a need at either OLB position(It's obvious the coaches think we need more depth here with the signings). Jarod Mayo is sitting at 20 at 242 running a 4.54 and being a beast in College.

Let's say all the LTs are gone, Devin Thomas and D-Jax is gone, and the only DEs left are Merling and Campbll. Do we bite?

I don't think so - he's a cover-2 MLB, not an OLB. I could see an argument for him based on BPA, but he's definitely not a good fit, given that we have Ruud.

Caddy
04-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Wow....everything you spout of is lies and ignorance. Black was a 1st day pick from a mid-major conference. He played the same position for the same team that Brian Urlacher played for. He got less than 30 tackles playing special teams and a little backup duty as he was behind Brooks, Ruud, June, Nece and Trotter, all veterans with substantial starting experience.

Why does he deserve a fair starting chance? He was a first day pick and he's the best athlete we've ever had at LB. You don't give up on a player with his athletic ability without giving him a chance. I hate Sabby Piscitelli but even I can admit that he deserves a chance after Phillips is gone.

When Ronde Barber was a 3rd round pick he was absolutely awful our first year. Our coaches almost cut him but the fact that he was a 1st day pick forced them to stick with him and the rest is history. You have to be a colossal moron to draft a player and abandon him so soon, it shows instability in management.

You're right, our team isn't perfect. Upgrades would be great at a lot of positions, but if we went ahead and upgraded OLB, LT and QB, we would have among the worst WRs, DTs and CBs for years. Your logic is ridiculous because we simply don't have enough draft picks for minor upgrades at positions, otherwise we'll be ignoring needs at positions where we genuinely have no one.

Honestly this argument is pathetic. You have no grasp of roster management and there's not a person in this world that would agree with your philosophy. Your negativity and pessimism is depressing me and I'm done with listening to you.

Our coaches felt we needed depth at LB and they addressed it. I like Mayo a lot but his only fit on our defense is at MLB. He would not be a significant upgrade at OLB, surely not enough to warrant a top 20 pick.

I think we're more likely to reach on a WR or DT than draft Campbell or Merling. We have depth at DE but frankly the players are not good: Wilkerson, Douglas and Carter just aren't impact pass rushers. I wouldn't mind seeing us draft Campbell or Merling and cutting one of those 3, but I don't think it's likely.

Matt Millen?

Tampa 2 4 life
04-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Matt Millen?

I heard they think Devin Thomas is better in the slot than Furrey so he's a possibility.

dbtb135
04-21-2008, 09:56 AM

Not so sure thing. Let's trash heap the guy after one year. Good for nothing LB. Just like Ruud. Fact is, Monte was willing to take the kid with the 1st pick in the 60s overall, to go with former Pro Bowler June, to basically play 2nd/3rd fiddle to Brooks for now. Would the Bucs really spend a 1st round pick to (possibly) replace June (who is very good at SS). Thats not the kind of impact you want from a top 20 LB.

There are real nice WSLB prospect every year, we could find one once DB retires with ease. No real reason to do it now.

etk
04-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Linebackers tend to have low bust rates and are capable of instant impact. Every year there a handful of starting rookie linebackers that have success, with a few usually in Pro Bowl contention. Looking in college I see plenty of linebackers that will further the trend.

Sidney
04-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Wow....everything you spout of is lies and ignorance.

Why does he deserve a fair starting chance?

You have to be a colossal moron to draft a player and abandon him so soon, it shows instability in management.

Are you unhinged? I'm suggesting we can upgrade a backup LB and you are going this friggin' bonkers? Are you gonna read what you've written? I'm depressing you because I don't think our backup SLB is a future stud at WLB?

You appear to be one of those special cases that thinks every player on YOUR teams roster is a future stud - like you said Penn and McCown are fast tracking to brilliance as well. Fact is most guys are lucky to be just a guy and there are guys like Black on every roster in the NFL right now. I don't think drafting a WLB to play when Black is slotted as at SLB shows any sort of gross instability of management - something you persistently miss in your ravings BTW.

I don't know if you've had your run of this forum or if there's a tiny handful of like thinkers here and having anyone question your judgment is such a trauma you have to get unhinged. I think WLB is a need, we won't be in position to get one so in the end it is academic but dear god try and tap the brakes once in awhile.

bofadabizzles
04-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Are you unhinged? I'm suggesting we can upgrade a backup LB and you are going this friggin' bonkers? Are you gonna read what you've written? I'm depressing you because I don't think our backup SLB is a future stud at WLB?

You appear to be one of those special cases that thinks every player on YOUR teams roster is a future stud - like you said Penn and McCown are fast tracking to brilliance as well. Fact is most guys are lucky to be just a guy and there are guys like Black on every roster in the NFL right now. I don't think drafting a WLB to play when Black is slotted as at SLB shows any sort of gross instability of management - something you persistently miss in your ravings BTW.

I don't know if you've had your run of this forum or if there's a tiny handful of like thinkers here and having anyone question your judgment is such a trauma you have to get unhinged. I think WLB is a need, we won't be in position to get one so in the end it is academic but dear god try and tap the brakes once in awhile.

Quoting only a portion of what he said can be a little misleading to those of us who haven't been keeping score the whole time. That said, I think your right in that if Rivers where to fall to the 20th pick and there weren't a top tier player at a need position(LT/CB) available then we'd have to take him. Talent wins games, Rivers is one the more talented players in the draft. It would be worth it to take him there and let Rivers/Black/June compete for the 2 OLB spots and let chips fall where they may.

However, if there were a top tier a T or CB, that would be the way to go. The gap in talent between what we have for right now/future in the LT position and CB seems a whole lot wider than the gap in the talent we have at LB going forward due to the fact that Kiffen gets an awful lot production out of LBers most people don't think much of like Shelton Quarles, Ryan Nece and Quincy Black. It's a whole lot tougher to cover up a lack of talent in secondary and LT. I think that was the point ETK was trying to make, if so I agree.

Caddy
04-22-2008, 06:02 PM
If Matt Ryan falls to the Colts in the second round should they take him?

bofadabizzles
04-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Lol... It might be in thier best intrest to see if they possibly trade the pick.

Tampa 2 4 life
04-22-2008, 06:52 PM
If Matt Ryan falls to the Colts in the second round should they take him?

Manning only has another 3-5 years left, so yes!

etk
04-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I really despise BPA and NFL fans' obsession with it. Obviously most draft fans will want their team to draft a high profile player but really the talent gap between whomever the BPA is and whomever the BPA at a need is rarely significant enough to make it worth it. The teams that are consistently at the bottom are teams that draft the "alluring players" instead of sticking to their needs, i.e. Oakland, Detroit. Another trend is that the best teams are built on the lines and the worst ones aren't (Oakland, Detroit, Arizona).