PDA

View Full Version : groves had heart surgery?

BeerBaron
04-10-2008, 10:29 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=D2D410ED22998DF1E35BA28E0A162B1D? id=09000d5d807b2b9a&template=with-video&confirm=true

first its DRC with one kidney and now groves apparently underwent surgery on his heart to repair a problem with its electrical system.

it doesnt sound serious but wow, how does that not get out until now?

thoughts? impact?

fenikz
04-10-2008, 11:08 PM
The thing about Groves' heart condition is that no matter what he does it won't affect it, he has a .03% of sudden cardiac death but playing football does not increase the chance

sporkdevil
04-10-2008, 11:09 PM
I feel kinda bad for the guy. It's hard to tell the actual severity right before the draft (ie. paralyzed for life turns into minor toe surgery.) I hope he still goes well, as it might not hinder him, however, I'm glad my team doesn't need to spend more money at the DE position. He could turn into a 2nd round bargain.

BeerBaron
04-10-2008, 11:10 PM
The thing about Groves' heart condition is that no matter what he does it won't affect it, he has a .03% of sudden cardiac death but playing football does not increase the chance

well it said it wasnt serious, but if im about to make a multi-year, multi-million dollar investment in a guy and i hear his name and heart surgery together like that....would make me think about it a little harder in the very least

umphrey
04-11-2008, 12:48 AM
This is a total aside but it really sucks how that works. The guy was probably worried about his life at one point and after making it through, he finds out he is now looked at as damaged goods and potentially missing out on an opportunity to live his dream. So much for triumph.

Madirishman
04-11-2008, 12:53 AM
That means he'll fall to the Niners for sure now. :) Sweet! Perhaps we can get him in the early 2nd even...

Mr. Stiller
04-11-2008, 01:08 AM
That means he'll fall to the Niners for sure now. :) Sweet! Perhaps we can get him in the early 2nd even...

... Again.. Steelers?

DragonFireKai
04-11-2008, 01:14 AM
... Again.. Steelers?

Between Woodley, Timmons, and Harrison, the Steelers aren't going to be taking a OLB/DE in the first this season. Not with the Turnstile O-Line they have.

edgrenade
04-11-2008, 06:10 AM
It is kind of like Ronny Turiaf on the Lakers.

DeathbyStat
04-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Between Woodley, Timmons, and Harrison, the Steelers aren't going to be taking a OLB/DE in the first this season. Not with the Turnstile O-Line they have.

We need a more consistant pass rush.

If you watch the steelers you know this to be true.

eaglesalltheway
04-11-2008, 07:07 AM
I honestly don't know how this affects him. I'm glad that he is healthy, don't get me wrong, but I'm no doctor, so I will stay away from the medical aspect of it. Some teams may not consider this too heavily, but if soem teams removed Kelly due to knee problems, I'm sure the same is being done with Groves. It's a shame I like this guy, and deserves to go higher than he probalby will now, though there is no doubt in my mind that he will still amke a great NFL player.

Thunder&Lightning
04-11-2008, 07:18 AM
Doubt this will really effect him that much come draft day... I just dont understand why all of these medical reports are coming out just now?

eaglesalltheway
04-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Doubt this will really effect him that much come draft day... I just dont understand why all of these medical reports are coming out just now?

Makes little to no sense to me either. The only explanation I can come up with is teams are leaking info in order to get players to drop to their team.

Scott Wright
04-11-2008, 07:37 AM
I just dont understand why all of these medical reports are coming out just now?

They are just hitting the media now, 99% of this stuff isn't news to the teams.

DragonFireKai
04-11-2008, 03:08 PM
We need a more consistant pass rush.

If you watch the steelers you know this to be true.

I think the idea behind having two young OLB/DEs, is that they develop into better players. And with Roethlisberger will be out of the league within 3 years if the Steelers don't do something drastic with that O Line.

stephenson86
04-12-2008, 04:37 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=D2D410ED22998DF1E35BA28E0A162B1D? id=09000d5d807b2b9a&template=with-video&confirm=true

first its DRC with one kidney and now groves apparently underwent surgery on his heart to repair a problem with its electrical system.

it doesnt sound serious but wow, how does that not get out until now?

thoughts? impact?

i have one kidney, it has absolutely no baring on your ability to play football, aslong as it is stated in your medical records incase you get hit in the lower back, it causes no problems what so ever

Iamcanadian
04-12-2008, 10:14 AM
If true, Groves will become a 2nd rounder where the financial investment isn't so severe. This will scare off a lot of teams. Football is a very tough sport and like it or not, health is very important when considering making a huge financial investment in a player.

BeerBaron
04-12-2008, 10:52 AM
i have one kidney, it has absolutely no baring on your ability to play football, aslong as it is stated in your medical records incase you get hit in the lower back, it causes no problems what so ever

well tahts the conclusion i believe we reached in the thread about DRC. but still its something any team whos about to pay him millions of dollars would have to think just a little harder about...

If true, Groves will become a 2nd rounder where the financial investment isn't so severe. This will scare off a lot of teams. Football is a very tough sport and like it or not, health is very important when considering making a huge financial investment in a player.

well i hope not. like it said, it wasn't that serious. i think anything team thinking about him will think a little harder, but i dont think it turns anyone completely off

sprawwl
04-12-2008, 09:24 PM
It is kind of like Ronny Turiaf on the Lakers.

Actually, I think the Turiaf situation was a lot more significant than this one is. Somewhere I read that LaMarcus Aldridge has the same thing that Groves does - Turiaf's was like a 6 hour surgery or something.