PDA

View Full Version : Matt Ryan: his absolute lowest

Buttered toast sonic
04-11-2008, 10:01 AM
ok, if Atlanta, Baltimore and KC all pass up Matty, where do you think he'd go

Reasons for each to pass up

ATL: Biggers needs, 3 second rounders, trade back into the first to get brohm or flacco, take Dorsey

KC: they NEED O-line help, Albert, Otah, Clady are more likely than Matty Ice here.

BAL: as much as ozzie newsome would love matt Ryan, he has a good eye, and can realzie that this draft is extremely deep at QB, so why use a 1st rounder on Ryan when guys like Brohm, flacco Or Henne could be had in rounds 2 or 3. an O-lineman, CB or LB is possible over ryan

if he falls past Baltimore, IMO, he will go to Carolina at 13, who would probably LOVE to get a guy like Ryan to be theri QB of the future

JT Jag
04-11-2008, 10:14 AM
He would be a great fit in Carolina.

I'm just not a fan of him going top-10, though.

neko4
04-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I hope he drops to pick 30 and atl trades a few picks to Green Bay for him :)

04-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Baltimore is the absolute lowest spot he'll go. I'd be stunned if he even made it that far considering I expect KC to take him at #5.

art vandelay
04-11-2008, 10:24 AM
I think Carolina is the absolute lowest that he will fall.

iloxygenil
04-11-2008, 10:26 AM
I would LOVE it if Carolina could get him. I mean I would adore it.

toonsterwu
04-11-2008, 10:27 AM
I don't think he falls past Baltimore. He's too talented and Baltimore always values value and knows him well and is reportedly to be high on him. In fact, if KC is willing to take a less than chart value deal, I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore moved up to secure him.

But let's play along iwth the hypothetical for a second. If Ryan gets past Baltimore, where does he go? If we assume no trades, then the best guess here would actually be Chicago. I don't see Carolina picking him unless there is absolutely no OL, and perhaps even DL value. The one thing to watch for would then be a trade. Minnesota might contemplate it. A sleeper could emerge.

That said, I don't see him slipping past 8 if there aren't any deals.

04-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Let's not forget for a second how highly regarded Matt Ryan really is by NFL personnel. I just can't see a scenario where he falls out of the top 10.

Thunder&Lightning
04-11-2008, 10:42 AM
ya no chance he falls past Baltimore. Would be a dream come true for them if he did.

BeerBaron
04-11-2008, 10:59 AM
wow.....i just did some quick math here and if atlanta really, really wanted to, they could package all 3 of their 2nd round picks and trade back into the first round as far as #7 overall.

who owns #7? that would be the patriots....and do you think the patriots would like 3 2nd round pick to get out of paying a player #7 overall money? maybe...and it would put atlanta ahead of baltimore....

so in theory, atlanta could come away from this draft with 2 top 10 picks if they really, really wanted to

i dont think that would happen but its something to think about.

if they kept 1 of the 2nd rounders and replaced with a later pick, they could trade to a bunch of spots before carolina as well if they can find a partner and take ryan there even. if they were interested of course.....

like i said, doubtful but something to ponder over

Matthew Jones
04-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I would love three #2s for the #7 pick.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-11-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure why Carolina would take Ryan when they didn't take Quinn last year unless they like Ryan a LOT more

I know he doesn't have "experience" or whatever but I'm about as confident in Matt Moore now as I ever was in David Carr

BeerBaron
04-11-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure why Carolina would take Ryan when they didn't take Quinn last year unless they like Ryan a LOT more

I know he doesn't have "experience" or whatever but I'm about as confident in Matt Moore now as I ever was in David Carr

a lot has changed since last year for them though. things probably seemed alright with a healthy delhomme, a carr they were looking to salvage, and a developmental 3rd stringer.

but delhomme underwent pretty major surgery, carr is long gone, and your backups arent guys id feel 100% comfortable with moving into the future.

if they took ryan, he could sit behind delhomme for as long as hes healthy/good and then take over in the event of injury or delhomme starting to suck it up.

i always like situations where rookie QBs can be the definite #2 to an established starters while they develop and adjust

vidae
04-11-2008, 11:25 AM
There are a few sleeper teams who would be interested if Ryan takes a Quinn-esque freefall past the Ravens.

What about Tampa Bay? Do they have their QB of the future on the roster? I'm not sure. Garcia is a solid QB, but he's up there in age. That will eventually have to be addressed. I'm not sure what they'd have to give up to move from their pick to top 10, but maybe something like that could happen.

This is why the draft is so exciting. Anything can happen!

BeerBaron
04-11-2008, 11:42 AM
There are a few sleeper teams who would be interested if Ryan takes a Quinn-esque freefall past the Ravens.

What about Tampa Bay? Do they have their QB of the future on the roster? I'm not sure. Garcia is a solid QB, but he's up there in age. That will eventually have to be addressed. I'm not sure what they'd have to give up to move from their pick to top 10, but maybe something like that could happen.

This is why the draft is so exciting. Anything can happen!

possible but i think its unlikely. gruden is a guy who finds "his guys" at QB.whether they be in the first round or the seventh.

if he feels like he can make a guy good in his system, hell take him and bypass common logic on it. if they take a QB, my money would be on josh johnson. gruden is said to be "enamored" with him and his skills would translate real well to grudens WCO.

unless ryan were to fall right into TBs lap, i dont think they move to get him.

Brothgar
04-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Lets not forget that is what we all said about Brady Quinn. Absolutely no way Quinn falls past 9 to the phins nope won't happen. (Er well alot of people said that) thus Quinn fell all the way to 22. Now I think that Ryan learned from Quinn's mistakes and he actually talked to teams outside the top 5 (something Quinn didn't do). Personally I'd love to see another Brady Quinn esque fall it made great television. With every pick Millions drained out of Quinn's bank account and see him close to tears. Yeeeessss your tears are so yummy!

EDIT: wow even I found that a lil creepy and in somewhat poor taste.

Gay Ork Wang
04-11-2008, 12:02 PM
sounds like cartman....

anyways i dont think he can fall past carolina this year. If u think about last year only a couple 3-4 teams had problems at QB. This year its alot more

Packman1957
04-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Carolina or Chicago would be the most likely destinations after the Ravens. I'd be a little surprised if he fell past Baltimore though, I just don't see that happening. Than again I didn't see Brady Quinn or Aaron Rodgers falling as far as they did. So nothing would completely shock me. The only thing that would shock me is if Matt Ryan isn't the first QB taken, that would be a shocker.

MURPHMAN
04-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Considering the rumors that both Buffalo and Denver would be interested in trading down, the fact that there are no decent to average free agent QB's left on the market, the strong likelyhood that next year's QB draft class will be absolutely pathetic and the free agent market almost as bad....I will say that somebody will trade up into the top 12 to grab him if he is there.

Ravens1991
04-11-2008, 12:06 PM
It would be a dream come true if he fell past Baltimore.

eaglesalltheway
04-11-2008, 12:08 PM
I really think he won't get past Baltimore, but the farthest I coud see him go is Carolina.

A Perfect Score
04-11-2008, 12:50 PM
It would be a dream come true if he fell past Baltimore.

QFT...i hate matt ryan

awfullyquiet
04-11-2008, 01:09 PM
I can see Carolina as well. Even possibly past Baltimore if there's a better value on the table for Baltimore.

Crazy_Chris
04-11-2008, 02:53 PM
If somehow Matt Ryan makes it to #17 I don't see the Vikings passing on him however Childress is a stubborn man and is said to love Jackson so you never know.

SKim172
04-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Carolina, Vikes, Bucs, even the Bills, would all give him a hard look, but these are teams that already have a QB (or QBs) that they're invested in and might not want to put first-round money in the position. The Bills have Edwards and despite his mediocre season, they'll be hesitant to replace him. Vikes have Jackson. Panthers have Delhomme for now and Matt Moore is an intriguing guy they might consider starting. Bucs have a whole stable of QBs.

Knowing that there will be QBs like Woodson, Henne, Brohm, Flacco available in later rounds, it'd be hard to justify Ryan if he fell to them.

I can, however, see the Bears choosing Ryan - Grossman and Orton both got their chance and neither has shown they can be the consistent starter. QB is a need in this draft and if Ryan falls to them, they might try to snatch him up.

On that same logic, I can't think the Ravens would pass up Ryan, either, which pisses me off. McNair won't last long, Boller's a bust and I get the feeling that the Ravens aren't high on Smith as anything but a backup. My deepest hope is that they will realize that Ryan is not the answer and that better prospects will be available later on.

If Ryan falls anywhere past #12, I'd expect a trade to happen as some team tries to cut in front of the Bears and nab him. I pity this team.

BeerBaron
04-11-2008, 05:42 PM
i think one thing we all need to do is to stop comparing him to rodgers and quinn.

as much as i dislike ryan, he is the top QB prospect in this years draft. neither of those guys were the top in their draft. they were 2nd to alex smith and jamarcus. those guys went, and maybe the teams after didnt feel like going the #2 route.

this year, ryan is the top and if he doesnt go in the first few, there no way he escapes the next couple. i think hell be gone to baltimore...

Gay Ork Wang
04-11-2008, 05:43 PM
we will not draft a QB in the first round, i highly doubt it. The OL is atrocious and to start any Rookie QB behind that one is like throwing pearls to the pigs

ninerfan
04-11-2008, 10:29 PM
I doubt he gets below #8 but if he does watch the trades come flying in - Carolina, Chicago and then Atlanta, KC or Baltimore trading back into the 1st. He's clearly the best QB but I personally think he's a mid 1st guy

BlindSite
04-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I think Carolina is the absolute lowest that he will fall.

LOL

For a start, Delhomme's got another 2 good years at least left in him.

John Fox has said that he's the most comfortable he's ever been at the QB position with Matt Moore as the backup.

The team needs OT, DT, RB more than they need a QB and I think that them taking a QB, paying him millions of dollars to have him ride pine for two years while the team flounders without an OT or good defensive line is insane.

The team needs an OT, there figures to be at least 2 candidates of value there when we pick.

I love Ryan as a prospect but its not a position Carolina's traditionally developed, in ten years we've drafted ONE of our starters, Kerry Collins and THAT IS IT.

Carolina needs to win NOW if Fox and Hurney are to keep their jobs and both of them would be aware of that. They're not going to draft a guy while in the hotseat who'll take 2 seasons to bare fruit.

BamaFalcon59
04-11-2008, 10:53 PM
How crazy would it be if Atlanta took Jake Long at three and then traded three second round picks to Baltimore or someone to grab Matt Ryan. But if that was the case I would rather do Matt Ryan at three, and then trade two second round picks to get up for Albert, Otah, Williams, or Clady.

BlindSite
04-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Now that would be interesting.

BlindSite
04-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Feasibly Atlanta could get back to the number 9 pick to nab him after taking whomever at 3.

BamaFalcon59
04-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Feasibly Atlanta could get back to the number 9 pick to nab him after taking whomever at 3.

Nine. Hmm. I think seven is the highest possible, because the Patriots actually have a few needs, and they like to stockpile picks.

But I doubt we do that. We have too many needs. I could see a trade up using a second round pick and our third (not compensation) for a late 20s pick for Brian Brohm, or two second round picks to trade to 14-16 for an offensive tackle.

BeerBaron
04-12-2008, 12:44 AM
cmon blindsite and bamafalcon, credit where credit is due for the trade back into the top 10 idea:

me on the first page of this very thread:

wow.....i just did some quick math here and if atlanta really, really wanted to, they could package all 3 of their 2nd round picks and trade back into the first round as far as #7 overall.

who owns #7? that would be the patriots....and do you think the patriots would like 3 2nd round pick to get out of paying a player #7 overall money? maybe...and it would put atlanta ahead of baltimore....

so in theory, atlanta could come away from this draft with 2 top 10 picks if they really, really wanted to

i dont think that would happen but its something to think about.

if they kept 1 of the 2nd rounders and replaced with a later pick, they could trade to a bunch of spots before carolina as well if they can find a partner and take ryan there even. if they were interested of course.....

like i said, doubtful but something to ponder over

adamprez2003
04-12-2008, 01:07 AM
Chris Long will fall further than Ryan mark my words. Ryan probably goes to Atlanta. If not someone will trade up with the Jets or Patriots to bag him before the Ravens

TACKLE
04-12-2008, 01:10 AM
My sleeper pick would be Detroit. I know they took Stanton last year but the value and the thought of Ryan with Roy and Calvin would be pretty exciting. I'm not saying it's going to happen but you never know.

LonghornsLegend
04-12-2008, 01:13 AM
Lets not forget that is what we all said about Brady Quinn. Absolutely no way Quinn falls past 9 to the phins nope won't happen. (Er well alot of people said that) thus Quinn fell all the way to 22. Now I think that Ryan learned from Quinn's mistakes and he actually talked to teams outside the top 5 (something Quinn didn't do). Personally I'd love to see another Brady Quinn esque fall it made great television. With every pick Millions drained out of Quinn's bank account and see him close to tears. Yeeeessss your tears are so yummy!

EDIT: wow even I found that a lil creepy and in somewhat poor taste.

Thats what I was just thinking about, last year people would of said "its no way Quinn falls past 9" just as easily as people can say "its no way Ryan falls past #7", which is going to make it all the more sweeter if he's the last one in the green room looking pitiful:D

There were alot of teams in between 9-22 last year that could of taken a QB and it would of made sense, but we see it happen every year....It be worth it personally to see it happen just to hear Mayock blow a gasket afterwards.

TACKLE
04-12-2008, 01:13 AM
Chris Long will fall further than Ryan mark my words. Ryan probably goes to Atlanta. If not someone will trade up with the Jets or Patriots to bag him before the Ravens

Chris Long is a strong consideration for Miami, St.Louis, Oakland, New York and New England. There is no way he gets past the Pats. I think it's unrealistic to think that Long will far further than Ryan. The only senario in which Ryan will go before Long is if MAtty Ice goes #3 to the Falcons.

DeathbyStat
04-12-2008, 01:47 AM
to the bears

BeerBaron
04-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Thats what I was just thinking about, last year people would of said "its no way Quinn falls past 9" just as easily as people can say "its no way Ryan falls past #7", which is going to make it all the more sweeter if he's the last one in the green room looking pitiful:D

There were alot of teams in between 9-22 last year that could of taken a QB and it would of made sense, but we see it happen every year....It be worth it personally to see it happen just to hear Mayock blow a gasket afterwards.

like i said earlier people, we have to stop comparing this situation to rodgers/quinn. both of those guys were the #2 QBs in the draft and fell after the #1 went. ryan goes into this as just about everyone's consensus #1 so if he hits a team needing a QB and not expecting him to fall (baltimore) he will go there (baltimore)

to the bears

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/BeerBaron/vadernoo.gif

regoob2
04-12-2008, 10:56 AM
to the bears^yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

BeerBaron
04-12-2008, 10:58 AM
^yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/BeerBaron/vadernoo.gif

your starting to make me angry.....any you wouldn't like me when im angry....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/BeerBaron/thehulk.jpg

BBIB
04-14-2008, 06:14 PM
If he even goes in the 1st round he should have a grin on his face for how he's basically been campaigned there