PDA

View Full Version : Best Slot WR in 08

no love
04-11-2008, 06:24 PM
It seems that this year there aren't very many #1 or 2 wrs but a a ton of guys who would excel in the slot position. Who is the best slot WR prospect in this years draft?

(my list)
1. Desean Jackson Cal - More of a flanker, but a bit undersized. Probably has the most natural hands of any wr on this list.
2. Eddie Royal Vtech - Prototypical slot wr
3. Mario Manningham Michigan - Like Desean, more of your flanker
4. Dexter Jackson App State - Ridiculous speed, poor route runner, I haven't seen him take a hit, so I don't know about his concentration.
5. Lavelle Hawkins Cal - Good speed, excels at finding space. Inconsistent hands and concentration
6. Earl Bennet Vandy - I only saw him play when he was with Cutler, but he was pretty darn good at getting open and making tough catches. Less explosive than some of the others though.
7. Donnie Avery Houston - I'll be honest. I have never seen him play. But he runs a 4.2ish 40...
8. Davone Bess Hawaii - Lacks elite speed, but has great vision, good hands and YAC
9. Ryan Grice-Mullin Hawaii - Better hand than Bess, but is not as good at anything else
10. Danny Amendola Texas Tech - Slow and small. But could be the next welker.... i guess.

Just in case. The skill set for the slot is a bit different than the flanker or the split end. Slot WRs usually are good at reading underneath zone coverage (excels at "finding space," and running crossers), are good at catching fastballs, can take a hit from lbs or safeties and hold on, good yac ability.

BeerBaron
04-11-2008, 06:28 PM
im glad to see amendola on that list. in the TT games i saw last year, he jumped out to me more often than even crabtree

Michigan
04-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Manningham isn't really fit for the slot position IMO. He has the moves of a playmaker, but doesn't like to go through the middle and is much more effective on longer routes that stretch the field.

TheBuffaloBills
04-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Jackson..... He is going to be a first round pick were his best fit is at the slot.

CARDIAC CAT 7
04-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Early Doucet, physical, great hands but not a down field threat and most important is his toughness both catching passes through the middle and in the running game.

no love
04-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Manningham isn't really fit for the slot position IMO. He has the moves of a playmaker, but doesn't like to go through the middle and is much more effective on longer routes that stretch the field.

Yah I actually see both Manningham and Desean as much better flankers. But because of their size I decided to put them on this list.

But as far as skill set, Jackson is the biggest play maker so I put him at #1. He can make your underneath crosser go for six in a heartbeat.

Another additional consideration is whether the guy has the mindset to be a slot wr. They have to be tough and unselfish, traits which I wouldn't exactly say that either guy has an abundance of.

LonghornsLegend
04-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Id probably rank Eddie Royal the highest...he has some serious playmaking ability to go along with great hands and speed.

keylime_5
04-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Donnie Avery is your prototypical slot guy. Jackson and Manningham are better suited for flanker on the weakside, not in the slot.

A Perfect Score
04-11-2008, 06:55 PM
i think jacob tamme is gunna make one hellova slot/TE hyrbid...but maybe thats just me

toonsterwu
04-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Depends on your offensive scheme. I could really see Early Doucet excel out of the slot for some West Coast offenses. If you are looking for your "prototype", I would lean to, hmm, probably Dexter Jackson, but there's a lot of options.

AtariBigby
04-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Earl Bennett is a stud, and look for him to be reunited with fellow Vandy Jay Cutler in Denver. They have some holes at WR in Denver and EB would look great there. Pencil him in a Bronco uni.

MinerRod
04-11-2008, 08:04 PM
I'd like to throw UTEP's Lorne Sam in the list too. He's big(6 3 220) he's strong (23 reps at the combine) he's tough (never afraid to catch it over the middle and he could take a hit) and he's a great playmaker. His 40 time wasn't that spectacular at the combine (4.59) but what you don't know is that this guy is a TOUGH runner, he'll run over you. I saw him play all the years he was at UTEP and whether he was in at QB or WR you always knew there was a potential for a big play. I really do see him as a good Slot WR at the next level.

no love
04-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Donnie Avery is your prototypical slot guy. Jackson and Manningham are better suited for flanker on the weakside, not in the slot.

You mean split end? I think they are both a terrible fit for SE, to easy to jam them. On the strongside they can play off the LOS and won't be as easy to jam.

Yah, Donnie Avery sounds like he could be great in the slot. I hear he can really fly too.

LonghornsLegend
04-11-2008, 08:41 PM

Actually I think Avery is the prototype #2 WR in the NFL, along the lines of Terry Glenn, Santonio Holmes, he's more then just a slot WR.

bored of education
04-11-2008, 08:48 PM
EB, Doucet, Royal, Jackson

rockio42
04-11-2008, 08:59 PM
I think Martin Rucker can be a great slot WR (he was used as one in college) if hes used like the Colts used Dallas Clark and the Chargers use Antonio Gates

DeathbyStat
04-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Give me Royal or Jordy Nelson

MetSox17
04-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Early Doucet, physical, great hands but not a down field threat and most important is his toughness both catching passes through the middle and in the running game.

Early Doucet = Patrick Crayton??

lordquas
04-11-2008, 09:50 PM
d jackson - most explosive and elusive player in the draft

WhoDeyBengals59
04-11-2008, 11:20 PM
I've heard that Chris Johnson of ECU is being looked at as a WR. He'd make one hell of a slot guy with his speed and playmaking ability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhUhLtAC_Ok

holt_bruce81
04-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Dexter Jackson, Early Doucet, DeSean Jackson, and Will Franklin.

etk
04-12-2008, 12:17 AM
JORDYZZZ!!

Seriously...even a DeSean Jackson hater like myself can admit he's the best slot prospect in the draft without question. I like Davone Bess and Dexter Jackson a lot too in those roles.

jared
04-12-2008, 09:01 AM
I think Luke Swan belongs in that top ten.

etk
04-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Oh yeah Darnell Jenkins can make a living out of the slot....why not take advantage of a rare chance to be a homer?

Jakey
04-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Desean Jackson and Lavelle Hawkins IMO.

Eddie Royal, fits the bill too!

keylime_5
04-12-2008, 11:41 AM
You mean split end? I think they are both a terrible fit for SE, to easy to jam them. On the strongside they can play off the LOS and won't be as easy to jam.

Yah, Donnie Avery sounds like he could be great in the slot. I hear he can really fly too.

different offenses have different terminology I guess, but the side in which the guy is off the LOS, the #2 WR.

The Legend
04-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Donnie Avery & Jordy Nelson

MetSox17
04-12-2008, 12:37 PM
I think it's hands down DeSean Jackson. Very good hands, extremely quick and agile, and in the open field that would be a terror. If he can learn to make the proper reads on option routes and find soft coverage areas, he'll make a killing in there. Don't know if his frame will allow him to live in the middle so long, but i think he can be very very good at it.

04-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Davone Bess will make for an awesome slot receiver omg!

no love
04-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Davone Bess will make for an awesome slot receiver omg!

Yah I actually think he is a really good fit. Even though Grice-Mullen was the main target Bess was better over the middle. Mullens play strength isn't as good.

He doesn't have the speed of some of the other guys but he has great vision and knows how to put his body between the defender and the ball.

Sniper
04-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Darius Reynaud

massaf1
04-14-2008, 09:59 AM
How about Kenny Moore from Wake Forest? He switched from WR to RB his junior year due to injuries in the backfield, and tore off a few monster games. In his senior year he broke Torry Holt's record for receptions in the ACC. He has solid but not elite speed (4.5) but is solidly built and will break tackles.

Jakey
04-14-2008, 10:01 AM
^ Dont get me and etk started on Kenny Moore! :p

He is gonna be a steal!

Packman1957
04-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Gotta go with DeSean Jackson, seems like a perfect fit as a slot reciever.

eaglesalltheway
04-14-2008, 10:22 AM
DeSean Jackson and Donnie Avery will be great Slot WRs in the NFL

EvilMonkey
04-14-2008, 10:39 AM
DeSean Jackson is the best but I love Eddie Royal in that role as well.