PDA

View Full Version : Balmer, unless one day a NT, no way we pick him at #27

bergo23
04-12-2008, 06:06 AM
We have excellent depth at DE with Cesaire and Binghom....both of whom are signed thru 2009. Unless they think Balmer can put on 25 pounds and play NT in a few years, I don't see us picking him. OLine and DB are higher priorities. He may be "best player available" but we have depth issues at Oline and DB......maybe less so at DB with Cletis Gordon and Olliver. I just hope Cherilus is available.

defensiveback23
04-12-2008, 12:50 PM
100% agree. I have never liked Balmer for us because, along with the depth you mentioned, he has bust written all over him. He'll never be a 3-4 NT because he is too tall to get proper leverage and doesn't play with the consistent discipline and technique that are crucial to the position. Some people point to Olshansky becoming a free agent after the year but AJ has a great track record of re-signing players and he shouldn't be asking for a huge year due to the relatively low production.

CC.SD
04-12-2008, 02:14 PM
I truly hate the Balmer pick in Scott and a lot of people's mocks. It really doesn't make sense; it's a 1st round depth pick and that's it. Unless AJ thinks he can be leaps and bounds better than either Igor or Luis, it's not gonna happen.

If he's the pick though, I as always believe in AJ.

Cherilus/Phillips FTW!

UncleHulka
04-13-2008, 12:09 AM
As KRS1 stated in another thread, Red Bryant is a better fit for the 3-4. If AJ is able to trade down, I could see him going to the Chargers in the second or third round.

Thunder&Lightning
04-13-2008, 08:48 PM
100% agree. I have never liked Balmer for us because, along with the depth you mentioned, he has bust written all over him. He'll never be a 3-4 NT because he is too tall to get proper leverage and doesn't play with the consistent discipline and technique that are crucial to the position. Some people point to Olshansky becoming a free agent after the year but AJ has a great track record of re-signing players and he shouldn't be asking for a huge year due to the relatively low production.

Ya gotta agree with Dback again here. Balmer in my opinion doesnt have the technique to be a 3-4 DT. Very inconsistent and has bust written all over him. Only played on a high level really his senior year... People talk about him being able to play DE too... How can a DT/DE play a 3-4 DT? Balmer is the pick if the other big 3 arent available but if they arent... please AJ trade the pick. I beg of you.

zdh87
04-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Ya gotta agree with Dback again here. Balmer in my opinion doesnt have the technique to be a 3-4 DT. Very inconsistent and has bust written all over him. Only played on a high level really his senior year... People talk about him being able to play DE too... How can a DT/DE play a 3-4 DT? Balmer is the pick if the other big 3 arent available but if they arent... please AJ trade the pick. I beg of you.

AMEN BROTHER! You're preaching to the congregation...

Thunder&Lightning
04-14-2008, 02:44 PM
AMEN BROTHER! You're preaching to the congregation...

hahaha amen

defensiveback23
04-14-2008, 11:32 PM
We should start an anti-Balmer campaign lol. We did a great job earlier in the offseason with ending the Balmer Chargers fad in the mock drafts. Time to call AJ!

CC.SD
04-15-2008, 03:00 AM
We should start an anti-Balmer campaign lol. We did a great job earlier in the offseason with ending the Balmer Chargers fad in the mock drafts. Time to call AJ!

AJ has to know, right? He knows...all.

I'm slightly worried about AJ outsmarting himself and trading down with Kenny Phillips still on the board. It'd be Polamalu all over again.

bergo23
04-15-2008, 05:40 AM
He could still get DeJuan Morgan who some like better (Mayock) than Phillips in the second.

If the top 6 tackles are gone (I include Albert in that list)......who do we take?

Not Balmer........likely a DB........Cason?

Hart's deal makes me think its not going to be Phillips.

defensiveback23
04-15-2008, 01:09 PM
He could still get DeJuan Morgan who some like better (Mayock) than Phillips in the second.

If the top 6 tackles are gone (I include Albert in that list)......who do we take?

Not Balmer........likely a DB........Cason?

Hart's deal makes me think its not going to be Phillips.

I still like Reggie Smith a lot. He ran a slow 40 but coming off a toe injury is no joke and you can tell he is faster than his time from watching him play. If Phillips and Cherilus are gone I hope we trade down into the second, although I can honestly say I wouldn't be disappointed with Smith at 27. Here's how I'd rank the DB's we could take after a trade down:

1. Smith
2. Tracy Porter
3. Charles Godfrey
4. Dajuan Morgan
5. Brandon Flowers
6. Tyrell Johnson
7. Terrell Thomas

After Smith my favorite player on the list is Godfrey, but he is a risky selection.