PDA

View Full Version : Surprise 1st round picks?

WhoDeyBengals59
04-12-2008, 08:58 AM
What player could you see a certain team fall in love with and "reach" for in the first round?

Not much talk about Jerod Mayo and the Bengals but I have a feeling he'll be selected at the #9 spot. Marvin loves his fast, athletic linebackers...

A Perfect Score
04-12-2008, 09:11 AM
erin henderson could go much higher then expected...

my boy quentin groves could go much highger then people expect, i can see as high as #7 to the pats...

expect cliff avril ot make a big jump on draft day as well.

i can see kentwan balmer being drafted as early asa 12 to the broncos.

lordquas
04-12-2008, 09:15 AM
i think chris johnson can make a huge jump. teams love his speed.

like a perfect score said, erin henderson will go higher than people expect.

BamaFalcon59
04-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Chilo Rachal.

Thunder&Lightning
04-12-2008, 09:16 AM
erin henderson could go much higher then expected...

my boy quentin groves could go much highger then people expect, i can see as high as #7 to the pats...

expect cliff avril ot make a big jump on draft day as well.

I 100% agree with groves going much higher than anticipated but i think #9 to the bengals is the highest he will go.

A Perfect Score
04-12-2008, 09:23 AM
I 100% agree with groves going much higher than anticipated but i think #9 to the bengals is the highest he will go.

i think the thing is if the pats cant trade out of the #7 spot, thats teh position they will look to address, and something about the derrick harvey pick there doesnt fit right. i dunno why, i just dont like that pick. I think groves would be a much better fit in NE then harvey would. IMO anyways.

i dont think cincy is viable right now, considering the money they just put into the DE position in FA.

other possible landing destinations for groves are detroit at 15 if harvey is gone, and minnesota at 17. I think minny is a great fit...most people assume the vikes will go for someone like merling, but i think groves is more wat theyw ould be looking for, consierding hes a much better pass rusher then merling is. And the vikes lack pass rush, not run stopping DEs.

Yatta!
04-12-2008, 09:25 AM
I think Antwan Molden is a guy that will go a lot higher than people expect. His stock is rising just at the right time and I think he will go above some of the more heralded corners.

DJC
04-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Cliff Avril. He could go to someone like the 49ers if Groves and the top OTs are all gone by their pick. Possibly Trevor Laws, I've heard he's pretty high up on some teams big boards. Jordy Nelson, if someone from NFLDC becomes a real GM by the time of the draft.

BamaFalcon59
04-12-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm not on the Groves bandwagon, but I could see the Jaguars trading up for him or Derrick Harvey. They need that great pass rusher.

Who Dat Nation
04-12-2008, 09:31 AM

I see where your coming from, but 12 is way to high for him.

A Perfect Score
04-12-2008, 09:34 AM
I see where your coming from, but 12 is way to high for him.

your right, it IS. thats why it would be a surprise hahaha. Denver has a need at DT, and its very likely that Ellis and Dorsey will be gone. I can see that pick, mike shanahan has never been afraid to make a controversial pick and reach a little. Remember maurice clarett?

04-12-2008, 09:40 AM
What player could you see a certain team fall in love with and "reach" for in the first round?

Not much talk about Jerod Mayo and the Bengals but I have a feeling he'll be selected at the #9 spot. Marvin loves his fast, athletic linebackers...

Decent chance Keith Rivers could still be there if the Pats don't jump on him first.

princefielder28
04-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Nobody is really talking about Dan Connor as a first round pick anymore

lordquas
04-12-2008, 09:44 AM
groves is one of the top 20 players in the draft.

Iamcanadian
04-12-2008, 09:51 AM
This is my list:

Chio Rachel OG - Solid talent who could see round 1
Tyrell Johnson S - Just might be the 1st Safety off the board when all is said and done.
Dustin Keller TE - Another solid Talent
Trevor Laws DT - Somebody may fall in love with him
Chad Henne QB - Everybody but the pro scouts like him, could possibly go a lot higher than people expect.

Who Dat Nation
04-12-2008, 09:52 AM
your right, it IS. thats why it would be a surprise hahaha. Denver has a need at DT, and its very likely that Ellis and Dorsey will be gone. I can see that pick, mike shanahan has never been afraid to make a controversial pick and reach a little. Remember maurice clarett?

Yeah, 3rd Round pick wasn't he lol. He is in jail now isn't he?

A Perfect Score
04-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Yeah, 3rd Round pick wasn't he lol. He is in jail now isn't he?

yah, he is haha my point was, shanahan isnt afraid to reach to get the player he wants, and he isnt afraid to take guys that are boom or bust guys. i can for sure see the balmer to denver at 12.

neko4
04-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Trevor Laws
Josh Johnson wont go in the first but he'll go high

Sigmund Bloom
04-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Molden is a good call - an "insider" that another draft site talks to said he's in the first round on some teams boards, and had him going to SD in a recent mock.

I asked Russ Lande from the Sporting News this yesterday, and he said Duane Brown, the athletic VT offensive tackle. He also said Philip Merling will not fall out of the first.

Crazy_Chris
04-12-2008, 10:31 AM
i think the thing is if the pats cant trade out of the #7 spot, thats teh position they will look to address, and something about the derrick harvey pick there doesnt fit right. i dunno why, i just dont like that pick. I think groves would be a much better fit in NE then harvey would. IMO anyways.

i dont think cincy is viable right now, considering the money they just put into the DE position in FA.

other possible landing destinations for groves are detroit at 15 if harvey is gone, and minnesota at 17. I think minny is a great fit...most people assume the vikes will go for someone like merling, but i think groves is more wat theyw ould be looking for, consierding hes a much better pass rusher then merling is. And the vikes lack pass rush, not run stopping DEs.

Just what run stopping DE do the Vikings have because it sure isn't Ray Edwards, or Brian Robison both of which were drafted as Developmental Prospects/Situational Pass Rushers. Groves is over-rated on these boards a 249 lb(what he weighed at his pro day) DE with a inconsistent motor, questionable work ethic and is slow off the line isn't worth the 17th pick.

A Perfect Score
04-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Just what run stopping DE do the Vikings have because it sure isn't Ray Edwards, or Brian Robison both of which were drafted as Developmental Prospects/Situational Pass Rushers. Groves is over-rated on these boards a 249 lb(what he weighed at his pro day) DE with a inconsistent motor, questionable work ethic and is slow off the line isn't worth the 17th pick.

groves is over rated on here? and when i said that, i meant if they had drafted merling over groves, they would have a run stopping DE instead of a pass rushing DE. i dont think groves is overrated at all, most people have him as a fringe first rounder. Im jsut higher on him then most. You however, are overly critical.

He weighed in at 259 lbs at the combine, and ran a 4.58. Yes he was smaller at his pro day, but his combine time/weight sshow that he is capable of playing at an elite speed at a higher weight. Where have you heard any reports of questionable work ethic? ive heard nothing but good things about groves's personality, and ive not heard anyone question his work ethic. his motor, yes, im sure there are plays when he doesnt go 100%, but they said the same thing about mario williams coming outtoo. and slow off the line? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? groves is teh msot explosive pass rusher in this draft. Maybe not the most technically sound (long) or the most powerful (gholston), but he is by far the most explosive off the line. Do i need ot go find some tape?

Crazy_Chris
04-12-2008, 10:49 AM
groves is over rated on here? and when i said that, i meant if they had drafted merling over groves, they would have a run stopping DE instead of a pass rushing DE. i dont think groves is overrated at all, most people have him as a fringe first rounder. Im jsut higher on him then most. You however, are overly critical.

He weighed in at 259 lbs at the combine, and ran a 4.58. Yes he was smaller at his pro day, but his combine time/weight sshow that he is capable of playing at an elite speed at a higher weight. Where have you heard any reports of questionable work ethic? ive heard nothing but good things about groves's personality, and ive not heard anyone question his work ethic. his motor, yes, im sure there are plays when he doesnt go 100%, but they said the same thing about mario williams coming outtoo. and slow off the line? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? groves is teh msot explosive pass rusher in this draft. Maybe not the most technically sound (long) or the most powerful (gholston), but he is by far the most explosive off the line. Do i need ot go find some tape?

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/quentingroves.html

Weaknesses:
Extremely inconsistent and lacks a great motor...Undersized and doesn't have the ideal bulk that you look for..Isn't stout at the point...Marginal instincts, awareness and recognition...Limited pass rush repertoire...Too aggressive at times...Slow off the line...Has trouble shedding blocks...Poor technique..A questionable work ethic.

A Perfect Score
04-12-2008, 10:56 AM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/quentingroves.html

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7683783018981062766&q=groves+kansas+state&total=19&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=6

yeah he looks slow off the line to me...not that i dont think scott is very knowledgable, cause i do. And he is right on alot of things. But im sorry, quentin groves is not slow off the line.