PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm Kelly Scouting Report

Scott Wright
04-12-2008, 09:39 AM
At long last here it is:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/wr/malcolmkelly.html

04-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Should be one of the bigger steals of the draft.

The Legend
04-12-2008, 09:51 AM
other then his 40 time do you think the fact he never went over 1000 yards hurts him

"Terrific blocker", do you think theres a chance he could become a tight end

regoob2
04-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Poor mans Dwayne Jarrett, yikes.

LonghornsLegend
04-12-2008, 09:57 AM

Without the college production Jarrett had either.

Who Dat Nation
04-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah he didn't help himself much with this outburst after running slow. This sort of childish behaviour might hurt him just as much as anything he did at his workout.

"This is my life," he told reporters. "You know what I'm saying? This ain't no school.

"This ain't no classroom. This ain't got nothing to do with that. This has to do with me, my family. This is what I do. I play football. And I'm supposed to come out here and run as fast as I can."

regoob2
04-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Yeah he didn't help himself much with this outburst after running slow. This sort of childish behaviour might hurt him just as much as anything he did at his workout.

"This is my life," he told reporters. "You know what I'm saying? This ain't no school.

"This ain't no classroom. This ain't got nothing to do with that. This has to do with me, my family. This is what I do. I play football. And I'm supposed to come out here and run as fast as I can."That shows me that he has the fire to be the best at everything he does. I like that in a player. I dont like that he got in a shouting match with the strength coach but I do like his firey attitude.

etk
04-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Without the college production Jarrett had either.

If Jarrett could actually beat defenders like Kelly he would be on his way to the Hall of Fame.

smittyjs
04-12-2008, 11:48 AM
I still like kelly alot even after his workout, i wouldn't mind the titans taking him in the second round at all if we don't go WR in the 1st.

eliteeagle
04-12-2008, 11:49 AM
"Terrific blocker", do you think theres a chance he could become a tight end

i dont know if you want a guy with bad knees lining up at TE every play

umphrey
04-12-2008, 11:56 AM
bust -

regoob2
04-12-2008, 11:57 AM
bust -you bring a lot to the table, thanks.

04-12-2008, 11:59 AM
bust -

umm he's not a first round prospect anymore ..

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Speaking hypothetically, how far of a fall could Malcolm Kelly experience? Any way he slides to say 3rd or possibly 4th round?

MetSox17
04-12-2008, 12:32 PM
If Jarrett could actually beat defenders like Kelly he would be on his way to the Hall of Fame.

Well to Jarrett's defense, he did beat Leon Hall like a dirty rug in last years
Rose Bowl.

04-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Rose Bowl.

Yea, now I wanna see him transition that to the pro game.

draftguru151
04-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Rose Bowl.

He did very little against Hall.

regoob2
04-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Speaking hypothetically, how far of a fall could Malcolm Kelly experience? Any way he slides to say 3rd or possibly 4th round?If he does fall to the 3rd I think he will get picked pretty early in the 3rd.

MetSox17
04-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Yea, now I wanna see him transition that to the pro game.

Well he was comparing the separation Kelly would get in College, so i figured i'd use that same logic as well.

And as far as him not doing much against Hall, i swear i saw Hall trying to run him down more than a few times after just flying by him. I'm gonna see if i can find some clips of it on youtube or something.

draftguru151
04-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Hall "gave up" one big play to Jarrett but it looked like zone and the safety messed up and Hall tried to tackle him and missed. Jarrett had a few small catches but a majority of Jarrett's damage was against Trent.

BufFan71
04-12-2008, 12:46 PM
He did very little against Hall.

i do remember Jarret running a go route and plain outrunning Hall for the 40+yd td

MetSox17
04-12-2008, 12:51 PM
It was a 62 yarder for the record.

You still don't give that play up cause in no way in that run did Hall ever seem like he was slowing down expecting coverage on top.

It was a horrible read by Hall, it looks like he was expecting him to cut in or out as if he wasn't thinking he could just run a go-route on him.
He was pretty much back-peddling until he saw Jarrett run by.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xSSWC7dG648

(3:10)

draftguru151
04-12-2008, 12:51 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kAKZifgdH6c

That's a whole lot of #14. And Hall on inside help and the safety blew the play. Definitely not a go route.

BufFan71
04-12-2008, 12:55 PM

That's a whole lot of #14. And Hall on inside help and the safety blew the play. Definitely not a go route.

well sorry, its not like i try to remember everything about players i dont really care about (hall, jarrett)

MetSox17
04-12-2008, 12:56 PM

In that clip i saw about 4 balls that Jarrett caught that were on Hall, including the 62 yarder.

P-L
04-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Jarrett put a good move on Leon Hall, **** happens. Where was the safety help? What the hell was Willis Barringer doing? If Leon Hall doesn't miss a tackle that's a 30 yard pass instead of a 62 yard TD. If Willis Barringer didn't suck horribly, it could've been less than that. Hall lined up against Steve Smith for about 80% of the game, and Steve Smith did have a good game but that is besides the point. Watch that clip again. They only showed 4 or 5 passes the whole video (they focused on the one TD for like a minute and a half), so no you didn't see Hall get beat on 4 balls unless you're seeing something in your head.

Play #1 :: 0:00-0:19 (Jarrett is covered by Morgan Trent)
Play #2 :: 0:20-1:01 (Jarrett beats Morgan Trent for a TD)
Play #3 :: 1:02-3:32 (Jarrett beats Leon Hall for a TD)
Play #4 :: 3:33-4:40 (Jarrett beats Morgan Trent for 30 yard gain)

I'm sick of defending Leon Hall vs Dwayne Jarrett so this is the last time I'm going to do it. Hall did have a bad game, but it was against Steve Smith. Jarrett had maybe 2-3 catches on Hall the entire game. I'm not really defending Leon Hall, Steve Smith got most of his 100 yards on Leon Hall (but his TD was when he was lined up in the slot). Thing is, I suffered through that entire game and that one TD was the only real damage Jarrett did to Hall. Give Jarrett credit, he made a nice move to beat Hall on the inside, but I'm really sick of people acting like Jarrett abused Hall all game long. It couldn't be further from the truth.

MetSox17
04-12-2008, 01:28 PM
So you said 2-3, i said 4, big difference.

People were arguing that Jarrett couldn't get separation in college, and i just brought up a few instances in which he did, no big deal.

And i was referring to the video that DraftGuru posted, not mine.
His had most of Jarrett's catches i believe.

IlliniVikeFan23
04-12-2008, 02:27 PM
What happens if he comes in and runs a 4.5 at this private workout he is having April 16th? Does he get bumped up?

sprawwl
04-12-2008, 02:38 PM
What happens if he comes in and runs a 4.5 at this private workout he is having April 16th? Does he get bumped up?

I think maybe a little bit, but not much. The NFL teams will trust the results under (slightly) controlled circumstances more than they will at a workout he set up.

regoob2
04-12-2008, 02:40 PM
I think maybe a little bit, but not much. The NFL teams will trust the results under (slightly) controlled circumstances more than they will at a workout he set up.I agree, I think they saw all they needed to with Kelly.

LonghornsLegend
04-12-2008, 04:27 PM
He's probably a late 2nd round guy right now regardless of what he does...There are a slew of teams who might want to take the risk there...

I also want to point out that I dont attribute 100% that Jarrett's only problem was speed/seperation at the next level, and thats why he hasn't done anything...Alot of that has to do with work ethic, laziness, film study, because there are slower WR's in the NFL then Jarrett who are at least solid, and if he doesnt even amount to that level its because he didnt work hard.

It doesnt help that he's slow, but he could still be a good possession WR and great redzone receiving target if he wanted to be, so just because he started off looking like a lazy bum I dont want to assume anyone else similiar will bust...I still like Kelly, but having two bad knees is more worrisome then his speed is...When you factor everything together I'd be surprised if he goes 1st day no matter how his workout goes, id bump somebody like Jerome Simpson over him without thinking twice, along with a few other guys who were rated lower.

Scott Wright
04-12-2008, 04:55 PM

Not if he runs it on AstroTurf.

umphrey
04-12-2008, 04:55 PM
you bring a lot to the table, thanks.

Meh other people use a lot of words to say the same thing. He's gonna go down the same road Jarrett and Mike Williams went, but he isn't even as good of a prospect as they were. Not even close.

regoob2
04-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Meh other people use a lot of words to say the same thing. He's gonna go down the same road Jarrett and Mike Williams went, but he isn't even as good of a prospect as they were. Not even close.
I think he has a much better chance of success cause he wants to succeed. Mike Williams couldn't care less.

umphrey
04-12-2008, 05:46 PM
I think he has a much better chance of success cause he wants to succeed. Mike Williams couldn't care less.

Yeah, he loves being poor. Everyone wants to succeed in the NFL, if not for fame or respect then for fortune.

regoob2
04-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Yeah, he loves being poor. Everyone wants to succeed in the NFL, if not for fame or respect then for fortune.
I understand that Williams got a lot of money from being a top 10 pick. He seems to be unmotivated. For every Mike Williams there is a Marques Colston, we'll have to wait and see but I like Kelly as a prospect and I would love him to the bears at #44 where he could very well be bpa.

etk
04-13-2008, 09:11 AM

The fact that you have a positive reputation on this message board baffles me.

no love
04-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Mike Williams was a superior talent to Kelly but i don't know about Jarrett. BMW was a consensus top ten pick and Mel Kiper had him rated ridiculously high. I don't know that Kelly was ever thought to be a top ten pick and Jarrett obviously wasn't. Everyone (me included) though BMW was going to light this league on fire and be simply unstoppable with his combo of size, strength and leaping ability (he actually posted a very impressive 37' vert for a guy 6'5" 228). Compare his 4.56 40 time to Jarrett and Kelly's time and that makes him look like a blazer. He also had some of the best hands for a wr... I still can't believe he let all of that talent go to waste, because everyone talked about how he was a hard worker.

BigJohn98
04-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Could he possibly play tight end in the NFL?

TheGreatEscape
04-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Kelly's tougher after the catch, sweed actually reminds me off Jarrett more.

regoob2
04-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Could he possibly play tight end in the NFL?I highly doubt he will have to switch postitions.

BlindSite
04-13-2008, 07:29 PM
He's probably a late 2nd round guy right now regardless of what he does...There are a slew of teams who might want to take the risk there...

I also want to point out that I dont attribute 100% that Jarrett's only problem was speed/seperation at the next level, and thats why he hasn't done anything...Alot of that has to do with work ethic, laziness, film study, because there are slower WR's in the NFL then Jarrett who are at least solid, and if he doesnt even amount to that level its because he didnt work hard.

It doesnt help that he's slow, but he could still be a good possession WR and great redzone receiving target if he wanted to be, so just because he started off looking like a lazy bum I dont want to assume anyone else similiar will bust...I still like Kelly, but having two bad knees is more worrisome then his speed is...When you factor everything together I'd be surprised if he goes 1st day no matter how his workout goes, id bump somebody like Jerome Simpson over him without thinking twice, along with a few other guys who were rated lower.

Agreed, realistically looking at Jarrett he's the perfect possession receiver, tall, long arms, big hands, great focus on the ball when he's in traffic, fights hard, great triangle numbers for his size.

Then you see his work habits where he bitches about doing wind sprints, won't stick his head in a playbook and generally won't fight to be on the field.

IMO the team should room him with Chris Harris. When Harris arrived in Carolina he spent every minute he wasn't on the field or asleep studying our defensive schemes and did private film study every week. He lead all defenders in forced fumbles this year and was a revelation as a physical safety for the Panthers. His coverage leaves a bit to be desired. Point is he works hard to be all he can be.

Jarrett doesn't do anything and seems to say "who gives a ****" to everything.

Times like those I wish fox would switch into Lombardi mode and rip his guts out.

If kelly has the Harris determination and uses his Jarrett type body the sky's the limit. He just has to stay healthy and work with a speed coach.

TheGreatEscape
04-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't think his speed's an issue? He's a guy who can get separation and does most of his damage after the catch, with his size and strength being slow is not a problem.

etk
04-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Kelly's tougher after the catch, sweed actually reminds me off Jarrett more.

I agree, but not entirely for the reason you mentioned.

metafour
04-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't think his speed's an issue? He's a guy who can get separation and does most of his damage after the catch, with his size and strength being slow is not a problem.

Have you ever seen Kelly play? He barely created separation at the collegiate level and his ability with the ball in his hands is nothing impressive IMO. Not trying to call you out, but that scouting report seems way off to me.

Being slow is always a problem in the NFL. Not sure how many people realize it, but historically there have been a ridiculously low amount of big, slow receivers to make any sort of impact in the NFL. The only real case against this theory is Anquan Boldin, and everyone knows that when he ran a 4.71 at the combine that he was coming back from a big leg injury and basically only ran to show scouts that his leg was healing properly. He ended up running a 4.6 at his pro day and it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't 100% ready to run there either. My guess is that if you gave a 100% healthy Boldin 4-6 weeks to prepare and told him to run the forty he'd probably run in the 4.5 range easily.

Iamcanadian
04-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Kelly has one saving grace that may get him picked in round 2 although he is too slow to ever be much of a player. Kelly is the best blocking WR in the draft and a run 1st team might use him as a #2 WR just to utilize his blocking ability. There is always a place on a team for a guy who excels at one aspect of his position. If he can catch 40+ passes a year and excel on run blocking, he can be a starter in the right situation, however he is never going to be much of a threat as a WR.

LonghornsLegend
04-13-2008, 11:08 PM
I still liken Kelly to Keyshaun Johnson, so if he uses his abilities he can still be a great WR regardless of his speed...And im not talking about Keyshaun when he enterered the league at 21, im thinking more Keyshaun from when he played with Dallas to Carolina, which isnt a bad thing by any means...I just see alot of similarities in style of play and Keyshaun was still very effective during that span.

BlindSite
04-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Keyshawn is one of the best receivers all time when it comes to pure technique imo.

Iamcanadian
04-13-2008, 11:23 PM
I still liken Kelly to Keyshaun Johnson, so if he uses his abilities he can still be a great WR regardless of his speed...And im not talking about Keyshaun when he enterered the league at 21, im thinking more Keyshaun from when he played with Dallas to Carolina, which isnt a bad thing by any means...I just see alot of similarities in style of play and Keyshaun was still very effective during that span.

Sorry but Keyshaun had 4.5 range speed and used it to get seperation on a consistant basis. Kelly doesn't come close to Johnson's speed and is going to have a miserable time gaining any seperation against the speedy CB's who will cover him in the NFL.
Speed and talent get a player a starting role in the NFL, over the years as starters, they learn all the tricks on how to run routes effectively and how to properly use their body to shield off CB's Etc. Kelly is simply too slow for a team to start him on a consistant basis when he is young and he will never get an opportunity to learn how to compensate for his sloweness. Even at the end of his career Johnson was still considerably faster than Kelly. Kelly isn't just slow by NFL standards, he's a turtle, end of story.

LonghornsLegend
04-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Sorry but Keyshaun had 4.5 range speed and used it to get seperation on a consistant basis. Kelly doesn't come close to Johnson's speed and is going to have a miserable time gaining any seperation against the speedy CB's who will cover him in the NFL.
Speed and talent get a player a starting role in the NFL, over the years as starters, they learn all the tricks on how to run routes effectively and how to properly use their body to shield off CB's Etc. Kelly is simply too slow for a team to start him on a consistant basis when he is young and he will never get an opportunity to learn how to compensate for his sloweness. Even at the end of his career Johnson was still considerably faster than Kelly. Kelly isn't just slow by NFL standards, he's a turtle, end of story.

Your argument makes it seem like if you run anything over 4.59 you will never amount to anything in the NFL as a WR...If thats what you believe its no point in arguing that with you.

And you do realize you said Keyshaun runs a 4.5, which im guessing Kelly can run at best, and im also willing to bet Keyshaun wasnt running a 4.6 when he played for Dallas, we got to see him play daily...That doesnt mean Kelly will automatically be great, but he uses his body to shield defenders and catches everything thrown his way away from his body...I never said he was a #1 WR but he looks just like keyshaun when he runs routes and catches passes, although I dont see his pro career being all that sucessful.