PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Pat's Draft Strategy for 2008

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-13-2008, 04:09 PM
I wanted to know what you other Patriots' fans feel the teams strategies should be going into draft day. Who are some guys that you would like New England to select? Who are some guys that would fit great in the Patriots systems? Any potential UDFA's they should bring in for looks?

Billingsley26
04-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Im looking for them to trade the #7 pick. There really isnt a strong need for us to draft anyone other than Chris Long or Vernon Gholston at 7.

I want J Leman so bad. He reminds me of Tedy Bruschi so much. Wouldnt mind getting Anthony Collins, though I doubt he falls that low. Antoine Cason seems like he would be a GREAT fit in NE, and Id like him. Perhaps Josh Barret as well.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Im looking for them to trade the #7 pick. There really isnt a strong need for us to draft anyone other than Chris Long or Vernon Gholston at 7.

I want J Leman so bad. He reminds me of Tedy Bruschi so much. Wouldnt mind getting Anthony Collins, though I doubt he falls that low. Antoine Cason seems like he would be a GREAT fit in NE, and Id like him. Perhaps Josh Barret as well.

I would love to see J Leman as a Patriot. One of my favorite players from my favorite college team going to my favorite NFL team. I would be in heaven on draft day.

Bigburt63
04-13-2008, 07:47 PM
I want the pats to get Jonathan Goff real bad. I agree that Cason looks like a great fit, same with Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams. I also expect them to take at least one TE in the draft, with one being a big blocking type, perhaps Cottam as a project type? I also personally like Zbikowski and Steltz for safeties.

Thunder&Lightning
04-13-2008, 09:23 PM
My Opinion on what they should do is... First I would love to see them get the 1st round pick #7 overall traded. A lot of teams are hurting more than them and they could get a great deal for that pick. The #7 pick will hurt there cap room pretty bad. This will prevent that and give them extra picks or maybe even fill a team need.

If they can not trade the pick then I think they either go CB or LB. If Gholston is still available which is very doubtful then that would be the pats best case scenario. If Gholston is gone then I say they go CB. Mckelvin should be the pick for CB but picking Mckelvin is still a bit of a reach thats why i think they should seriously consider trading out of #7.

Their major team needs are CB, DB, an RT. After they fill those needs in the later rounds then I would like to see them draft a WR that could fill Stallworths spot which will allow the pats to keep welker in the slot. Gaffney just doesnt cut it for me.

Bigburt63
04-13-2008, 09:33 PM
I think if they stay at 7 they will either reach for a corner, like mike jenkins, or go a surprise pick like an OT ( i know its been talked about alot, but it is still somewhat surprising)

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Would it be more ideal to trade down to take a more proven college player at CB or LB, than to take one of the guys with the 7th pick who has been possibly a bit overhyped? For example Gholston, Rodgers-Cromartie, and McKelvin.

How would you guys feel about someone like Connor, Cason, or Talib?

Billingsley26
04-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Would it be more ideal to trade down to take a more proven college player at CB or LB, than to take one of the guys with the 7th pick who has been possibly a bit overhyped? For example Gholston, Rodgers-Cromartie, and McKelvin.

How would you guys feel about someone like Connor, Cason, or Talib?

Cason and Talib are my two fav CB, and I think both would thrive in NE. Connor would probably be used as ILB, and I would have no problems with that. I really want to trade down.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Cason and Talib are my two fav CB, and I think both would thrive in NE. Connor would probably be used as ILB, and I would have no problems with that. I really want to trade down.

I really would love to see them swing some sort of deal with Dallas so we could pick up the 22nd and 28th picks. The Pats could grab either Talib or Cason at 22, then Connor at 28. Boy would that be sweet.

Wootylicous
04-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Well I would'nt mind having Mcklevin or Gholston at #7.

I want Goff badly too as for J Leman I think he will be there later in round 6-7 and I would absolutely love the Pats to pick him.

Billingsley26
04-13-2008, 10:40 PM
I really would love to see them swing some sort of deal with Dallas so we could pick up the 22nd and 28th picks. The Pats could grab either Talib or Cason at 22, then Connor at 28. Boy would that be sweet.

I would have absolutely no problems with that.

Wootylicous
04-13-2008, 10:42 PM

I don't like Connor in the first round. I feel there is so much more talent in round 2-3 at ILB and we can still draft one in later rounds in J Leman.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-13-2008, 11:22 PM
I don't like Connor in the first round. I feel there is so much more talent in round 2-3 at ILB and we can still draft one in later rounds in J Leman.

Would you be more comfortable with Curtis Lofton? Maybe Beau Bell at the end of round 2?

Wootylicous
04-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Would you be more comfortable with Curtis Lofton? Maybe Beau Bell at the end of round 2?

If Curtis is there at the end of round 2 ? Yes, don't know if he fits in the NE system though

Beau bell in round 3, I would really like this pick. Solid Linebacker.

proshoota25
04-14-2008, 08:57 PM
i would love to trade #7 for #22 and #28

#22 i would love to have jenkins or one of the dropping OTs (if it happens)

#28 i would absolutely love cason or a guy like curtis lofton

all the names u guys menton i would love.... like leman, lofton, cason, talib, jenkins, connor, goff

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-14-2008, 09:17 PM
I have been wondering about this for awhile now. Some people seem to think that the offensive line has some weak spots and is getting up in years.

Would the offensive line be a point of emphasis in this draft? I would not think so, but I may be wrong.

Matt Light has played for 7 years.
Logan Mankins has played for 3 years.
Dan Koppen has played for 5 years.
Stephen Neal has played for 6 years.
Nick Kaczur has played for 3 years.

Our two main backups in Hochstein (7 years) and O'Callaghan (3 years) are quality backups.

Our line in my opinion has a great mix of veterans.

Should I be concerned with any of the guys on the line?

Nalej
04-14-2008, 09:44 PM
I'd like for trade down to the mid 1st if Gholston is gone.
I don't see us needing to stay at 7 if he's gone already.
(I love the thought of us trading 7 for 22 and 28)
I'd like for us to pick up a CB and a LB with our first two picks
regardless of where those 2 picks land.
RT is another one that I really hope we address sooner then later

I have been wondering about this for awhile now. Some people seem to think that the offensive line has some weak spots and is getting up in years.

Would the offensive line be a point of emphasis in this draft? I would not think so, but I may be wrong.

Matt Light has played for 7 years.
Logan Mankins has played for 3 years.
Dan Koppen has played for 5 years.
Stephen Neal has played for 6 years.
Nick Kaczur has played for 3 years.

Our two main backups in Hochstein (7 years) and O'Callaghan (3 years) are quality backups.

Our line in my opinion has a great mix of veterans.

Should I be concerned with any of the guys on the line?

Yes, the RT position IMO. (I have no concerns on age though)
Our left side is golden but all the pressure seems to come from
the right side.
I'm not sold on Kaczur as a starter...

Billingsley26
04-14-2008, 09:58 PM
I'd like for trade down to the mid 1st if Gholston is gone.
I don't see us needing to stay at 7 if he's gone already.
(I love the thought of us trading 7 for 22 and 28)
I'd like for us to pick up a CB and a LB with our first two picks
regardless of where those 2 picks land.
RT is another one that I really hope we address sooner then later

Yes, the RT position IMO. (I have no concerns on age though)
Our left side is golden but all the pressure seems to come from
the right side.
I'm not sold on Kaczur as a starter...

I think Kaczur would be a beast if we moved him to RG. But for the time being, I think hes allright where he is. Maybe draft someone who wont come in right away, but will put pressure, and possibly take that spot by midpoint or end of the season.

Nalej
04-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Yea, I agree. If Kazcur is a beast at RG then lets put him there...
then let's draft a RT to eventually take his place.
I just can't see how after our line got owned in the Super Bowl that
we do nothing to upgrade it. Makes no sense to me.
Gettin a nice blockin TE, since we released K. Brady, would be nice too.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-15-2008, 08:49 PM
What is going on with David Thomas? Any news on him? Has he improved? Is he going to see some playing time this year?

Nalej
04-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Good question. Last time I heard about him was that coach lost interest in him due to his lack of blocking.
I stay readin random **** all the time so don't quote me since I don't remember
where exactly I read that.
I know I did read that he wasn't heavily favored anymore though.

Bigburt63
04-15-2008, 10:02 PM
i know he cant stay healthy right now

Bostonsportlova
04-25-2008, 07:43 AM
In the first round i want to trade down if Long or Gholston werent there.

If we draft an OLB in the first round, i think we draft a CB in the second or vise versa

Round 3 i think they look toward the offensive line

Bostonsportlova
04-25-2008, 07:52 AM
In the later rounds some targets i like are:

Nick Hill QB
J Leman ILB
Jamie Silvia S

Bigburt63
04-25-2008, 10:43 AM
they wont go cb in rd 1 ...i just dont thiunk they will

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-25-2008, 11:41 AM
In the later rounds some targets i like are:

Nick Hill QB
J Leman ILB
Jamie Silvia S

I hope that take a shot on J Leman. He seems like the hard worker that the Pats would love.

proshoota25
04-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Agree with all of you the Leman would be a great pick....... and im almost positive they wont go corner at 7