PDA

View Full Version : Steve Slaton = Kevin Faulk

Thunder&Lightning
04-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Is it me or is Steve Slaton being compared to Kevin Faulk a perfect comparison... They both played/play under the spread offense. Both have great receiving skills and possess good speed and great quickness but below average break tackle ability. While both are undersized. Kevin Faulk never was the #1 guy normally being a 3rd down situational back..which I see Slaton having the same type of role in the NFL. I just can not help but think about how similar they are.

http://cflh.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/060902_slaton_vmed_5pwidec.jpg

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/02/13/1108313822_4779.jpg

BaLLiN
04-13-2008, 09:38 PM
they are pretty similar, Slaton was probably better in college, but i think Faulk is better in the NFL than Slaton will be.

Odd thing about this, is that Slaton and Faulk both pulled hammys in the last and biggest game of this year.

BeerBaron
04-13-2008, 09:38 PM
faulk: 5'8 202
slaton: 5'9 198

both decent speed.....

yeah, id buy it as a good comparison

BaLLiN
04-13-2008, 09:40 PM
if you watch the pitt game from like 2 years ago, Slaton completely torched that defense for like 2 recieving TDs and 2 rushing TDs. The recieving TDs were really impressive seeing how he outran Darrelle Revis for one of them.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-13-2008, 09:45 PM
I think Faulk couldn't hold a candle to Slaton's top end speed, and I don't think Slaton is nearly as strong a runner as Faulk. People forget how prolific and powerful a runner Kevin Faulk was at LSU.

I think Slaton has been knocked further down boards than necessary, especially considering that the argument could be made that not a single other runner in this draft catches the ball as well as him, but in terms of running styles or college careers, I don't see a whole lot of parallels.

CC.SD
04-13-2008, 09:49 PM
I don't think it's a great comparison, aside from catching ability.

lordquas
04-13-2008, 10:16 PM
I don't think it's a great comparison, aside from catching ability.
what makes a good comparison then?

same size. same instincts. same receiving ability. same power.
faulks a 3rd down back.
slaton projects to be a 3rd down back.

LonghornsLegend
04-13-2008, 10:32 PM
I think alot of people are really low on Slaton on this board, while I dont think he gives you much so he's not worth an early pick, but if he goes into the right situation I wouldnt be surprised to see him end up being sucessful...I could see him in Tampa Bay with Ernest Graham in a WCO for instance.

asmitty45
04-13-2008, 10:34 PM
I see it, I think he can still be a very good back despite his down year. If he can have anything close to the success faulk has had he should be happy.

kwilk103
04-13-2008, 10:44 PM
he played a lot in the slot last year and we threw him the ball there---see pitt game last year

this year when he was in the slot it was as a decoy, same as when he was in the backfield; only used him on 1 screen pass that i remember vs wmu and he took it for a 50 yd td; we're gonna use more screens this year

i agree with whoever said hes been knocked down too far; guess its what have you done for me lately

oh, and after the 1st game it was apparent he was goin pro after this year; he was hesitant in finding the hole in the line, and didnt show the same burst he did last year---runnin not to get hurt

AtariBigby
04-13-2008, 11:22 PM
what makes a good comparison then?

same size. same instincts. same receiving ability. same power.
faulks a 3rd down back.
slaton projects to be a 3rd down back.

1) how do you measure instincts?
2) not all 3rd down backs are the same

AtariBigby
04-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Steve Slaton = Darren Sproles, or even Warrick Dunn?
I see that more close than Kevin Faulk.

SKim172
04-13-2008, 11:34 PM
I don't really think it fits. Sure, they're both undersized, speedy guys projected as third-round backs, but so are half the backs in the draft. On the same grounds, I could compare Darren Sproles and Chris Johnson.

Slaton is short, but he's not really all that small - 197 pounds isn't bad for his size. And if you see him in person, he's fairly well built. While a capable receiver, he's not at Faulk's level, who is essentially a wideout who lines up in a backfield. Personally, I think Slaton might prove capable of taking 20-30 carries a game, because, well, he has. And though WVU ran the zone-read, they did line up with the QB under center fairly often and Slaton did run it up the middle, especially early on his career. While he'll probably end up a third-down back, don't underrate his abilities as a runner.

(edit)
I agree with the Warrick Dunn comparison.

Leon Sandcastle
04-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Yeah I've been throwing around this comparison for a while now. Slaton isn't going to be a situational player at the next level but he could excel in that role.

Wouldn't mind the Bills taking him with one of their 4ths.

Sigmund Bloom
04-14-2008, 08:20 AM
I'd say Andre Callender is a better compare for Faulk, or Rafael Little.

Abaddon
04-14-2008, 08:53 AM
I think Faulk couldn't hold a candle to Slaton's top end speed, and I don't think Slaton is nearly as strong a runner as Faulk. People forget how prolific and powerful a runner Kevin Faulk was at LSU.

I think Slaton has been knocked further down boards than necessary, especially considering that the argument could be made that not a single other runner in this draft catches the ball as well as him, but in terms of running styles or college careers, I don't see a whole lot of parallels.
Agreed. Faulk is a much more hard nosed runner. Slaton, while a heckuva player in his own right, doesn't seem to get any joy for head-on collisions with LBs the way Faulk does.

Faulk is also a far superior blocker, IMO.

ChezPower4
04-14-2008, 09:20 AM
it's a favorable comparison but i think Slaton can be more than just a third down back if he goes to a team that will use him correctly.

JT Jag
04-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Slaton might be a little faster, but Faulk's pure running skills are better.

I think it's a solid comparison. I don't see Slaton doing so well for so long in the NFL like Faulk, but he'll be a valuable addition to some team's backfield.

Matthew Jones
04-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Not a bad comparison, except I'd take Kevin Faulk ten times out of ten because he has the heart, desire, willingness to play through pain, team mentality, etc. that I just don't see in Slaton. Seems like that guy disappears in a lot of big games and happens to get "hurt" whenever it's not looking good for WVU.

constant cough
04-14-2008, 12:34 PM
they are pretty similar, Slaton was probably better in college, but i think Faulk is better in the NFL than Slaton will be.

Saying he was better in college than Faulk is debatable, people forget how good Kevin was:

At LSU, Faulk rushed for 4,557 yards in 41 games, which was 2nd best in SEC history behind the legendary Herschel Walker of Georgia (5,259 yards in 33 games). Faulk also finished his career with 6,833 career all-purpose yards and 53 total touchdowns, which ranked him 5th in NCAA history and 1st in SEC history.

DragonFireKai
04-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Saying he was better in college than Faulk is debatable, people forget how good Kevin was:

At LSU, Faulk rushed for 4,557 yards in 41 games, which was 2nd best in SEC history behind the legendary Herschel Walker of Georgia (5,259 yards in 33 games). Faulk also finished his career with 6,833 career all-purpose yards and 53 total touchdowns, which ranked him 5th in NCAA history and 1st in SEC history.

Slaton averaged 112 yards pers game, 5.6 yards per carry, and scored 50 TDs.

Faulk averaged 111 yards per game, 5.3 yards per carry, and 46 TDs.

Slaton has a slight edge as a runner, but Faulk had a significant edge over Slaton as a reciever.

Rjspartan
04-14-2008, 04:46 PM
i think slaton will be like a faulk and will be very productive.

fenikz
04-14-2008, 05:46 PM
steve slaton = jj arrington aka screwed

Trolfes
04-14-2008, 05:56 PM
New to the board, but I don't know if anyone has posted this yet. I think Steve Slaton may have played this year like Marcus McCauley did last year, playing to not get hurt because he thought his draft stock was safe. Slaton has played better in years past than he did this year, obviously, and I just don't think a player can get that much worse in that system after one year.

BamaFalcon59
04-14-2008, 06:06 PM
He does not block as well.

Nalej
04-14-2008, 09:42 PM
I like him as a 3rd down back...
Actually I hope the Pats pick him up in the mid-rounds.
Faulk is gettin up there in age...
and our RBs like to get hurt a lot.

BamaFalcon59
04-14-2008, 09:51 PM
I think he is getting very underrated. The guy can do two things which are valued highly- make big plays and catch the football.