PDA

View Full Version : Rick Gosselin's mock

toonsterwu
04-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Haven't seen this posted, and considering Gosselin's history, and the fact that it's free, I think it deserves some attention, although there's some, well, interesting picks to say the least.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/041208dnspomockdraft.532bcdf5.html

Team Player Pos. School
1. Miami Jake Long OT Michigan
Comment: Safest pick on the draft board
2. St. Louis Glenn Dorsey DT LSU
Comment: Won Lombardi, Lott, Nagurski and Outland trophies
3. Atlanta Matt Ryan QB Boston College
Comment: Falcons need reason for hope
4. Oakland Darren McFadden RB Arkansas
Comment: The next Adrian Peterson?
5. Kansas City Keith Rivers LB Southern California
Comment: Player who knows how to win championships
6. NY Jets Chris Long DE Virginia
Comment: The Long family stays in the AFC
7. New England Vernon Gholston DE Ohio State
Comment: Best pass rusher in the draft
8. Baltimore Ryan Clady OT Boise State
Comment: Heir apparent to Jonathan Ogden at left tackle
9. Cincinnati Sedrick Ellis DT Southern California
Comment: NFL's 27th-ranked defense starts building an identity
10. New Orleans Leodis McKelvin CB Troy
Comment: Best kick returner in draft
11. Buffalo Branden Albert G Virginia
Comment: Better blocking makes Marshawn Lynch a better runner
12. Denver Jonathan Stewart RB Oregon
Comment: A potential NFL rushing champion for the Broncos
13. Carolina Derrick Harvey DE Florida
Comment: The heir apparent to Mike Rucker on the weakside
14. Chicago Jeff Otah OT Pittsburgh
Comment: Best run blocker in the draft
15. Detroit Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois
Comment: Gives hope to the NFC's worst rushing attack
16. Arizona Dominique
Rodgers-Cromartie CB Tennessee State
Comment: Help for the NFL's 28th-ranked pass defense
17. Minnesota Devin Thomas WR Michigan State
Comment: Vikings desperate for speed on the flank
18. Houston Mike Jenkins CB South Florida
Comment: Help for the NFL's 25th-ranked pass defense
19. Philadelphia Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt
Comment: Heir apparent to William Thomas at left tackle
20. Tampa Bay Chris Johnson RB East Carolina
Comment: Give the fastest player in the draft to the Bucs
21. Washington Phillip Merling DE Clemson
Comment: You need muscle to compete in the NFC East
22. Dallas Felix Jones RB Arkansas
Comment: A speed complement to Marion Barber
23. Pittsburgh Kentwan Balmer DE North Carolina
Comment: Beefing up the NFL's best defense
24. Tennessee Fred Davis TE Southern California
Comment: An underneath target for QB Vince Young
25. Seattle Kenny Phillips S Miami
Comment: Seahawks still looking to replace Ken Hamlin
26. Jacksonville Brian Brohm QB Louisville
Comment: Quarterbacking depth to compete in AFC South
27. San Diego Jerod Mayo LB Tennessee
Comment: Chargers love linebackers
28. Dallas James Hardy WR Indiana
Comment: More TDs in fewer games in 2007 than Terrell Owens
29. San Francisco DeSean Jackson WR California
Comment: 49ers are desperate for offensive playmakers
30. Green Bay Aqib Talib CB Kansas
Comment: Packers like big, physical corners
31. NY Giants Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma
Comment: Giants like big, physical wide receivers

bored of education
04-13-2008, 09:45 PM
I dont get Rivers but DJ and Rivers would be sick

toonsterwu
04-13-2008, 09:48 PM
I don't get Rivers either. Branden Albert somewhat surprises, not in terms of value, but I'm just not sold they go OL that early. I don't see Minnesota and Devin Thomas in the first. Awfully high on Chris Johnson it seems. Does Seattle really need a safety? I didn't think it was a first round need. Brohm and Jacksonville seems off.

That said, tis early for him.

toonsterwu
04-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Oh, oops, this was more a big baord mock, and his next one will be on team needs.

What's the point of a big board mock? Why not just post the big board and a mock next week?

This is the first of three Rick Gosselin mock drafts. It is based on a draft board compiled through discussions with NFL talent evaluators. This mock draft primarily adopts the best-player-available philosophy. Next weekend's mock draft will more heavily weigh team needs.

adschofield
04-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Well I stated a while back on the Chiefs board that Rivers should be a possibility...The pick nonetheless surprises me to say the least, but if Ryan, Dorsey, Jake Long, and Ellis are gone, the Rivers being picked there wouldn't piss me off

Brent
04-13-2008, 09:51 PM
no way Niners take a WR in the first

adschofield
04-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Honestly, Keith Rivers is probably the most underrated top prospects on NFLDC

TheBuffaloBills
04-13-2008, 09:53 PM
I highly doubt we pick a Guard that high this year.

metafour
04-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Gosselin's mocks really aren't worth looking at until you get to his final mock.

LonghornsLegend
04-13-2008, 09:57 PM
It was posted, just in the mock draft forum....

Chris Johnson going #20 is just ridiculous....wait till his final mock when he gets help, these picks will be completely different, some picks although I hate to say it have 0% chance of happening.

The Chiefs just signed Demorrio Williams correct? And DJ, yet they go LB over Ellis, Clady, and others...

Besides some things are just baffling, anyone read the comment under James Hardy?

28. Dallas James Hardy WR Indiana
Comment: More TDs in fewer games in 2007 than Terrell Owens

:rolleyes:What kind of silly rationale is that? Its pointless, makes no sense, and im guessing he did it to justify the pick but he did a horrible job of it...I dont have any clue why he would compare two things that completely different.

draftguru151
04-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Oh, oops, this was more a big baord mock, and his next one will be on team needs.

What's the point of a big board mock? Why not just post the big board and a mock next week?

That makes the Johnson pick that much more of a wtf.

The Legend
04-13-2008, 10:01 PM
i would hate the raiders if they pass on Chris Long, but i dont think they would

Paranoidmoonduck
04-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Keep in mind that Gosselin got all paranoid after he became known as one of the better draft predictors in the business, and he has basically said that he doesn't release an accurate mock until the day of, so people don't copy him.

That would explain his "big board mock" (which is pretty pointless), and why the mock he releases next week will likely make less than total sense as well.

lordquas
04-13-2008, 10:13 PM
12. Denver Jonathan Stewart RB Oregon
Comment: A potential NFL rushing champion for the Broncos

that would be an unbelievable pick for the broncos

Iamcanadian
04-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Gosselin's mocks really aren't worth looking at until you get to his final mock.

Your absolutely right. 1 or 2 days before the draft, some insider feeds him their teams actual draft board and top 100. Until then, he is useless and just spits out a lot of junk.

vidae
04-13-2008, 10:16 PM
What kind of silly rationale is that? Its pointless, makes no sense, and im guessing he did it to justify the pick but he did a horrible job of it...I dont have any clue why he would compare two things that completely different.

lol I said the same thing when I saw that. Thought that was a really weird reason for someone going to a team.

And I do not like the Chiefs pick. I like Keith Rivers as a prospect, but our needs are bigger than LB and 5 would be more than a reach for him, imo.

MetSox17
04-13-2008, 10:22 PM
It was posted, just in the mock draft forum....

Chris Johnson going #20 is just ridiculous....wait till his final mock when he gets help, these picks will be completely different, some picks although I hate to say it have 0% chance of happening.

The Chiefs just signed Demorrio Williams correct? And DJ, yet they go LB over Ellis, Clady, and others...

Besides some things are just baffling, anyone read the comment under James Hardy?

:rolleyes:What kind of silly rationale is that? Its pointless, makes no sense, and im guessing he did it to justify the pick but he did a horrible job of it...I dont have any clue why he would compare two things that completely different.

That's the same exact thing i thought.
I wouldn't mind the pick actually, but that explanation is stupid and out of place. It explains nothing and just makes him look like an idiot.

Like the pick though.

04-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Keep in mind that Gosselin got all paranoid after he became known as one of the better draft predictors in the business, and he has basically said that he doesn't release an accurate mock until the day of, so people don't copy him.

That would explain his "big board mock" (which is pretty pointless), and why the mock he releases next week will likely make less than total sense as well.

ah, that makes sense then. Scott must really hate it when people copy him as well.

JagHombre22
04-14-2008, 12:37 AM
what the hell is with the Brian Brohm pick....that makes 0 sense....I'd shoot this guy if I saw him on the streets...

Caddy
04-14-2008, 12:46 AM
His justification for Chris Johnson to the Buccaneers is terrible.

Thunder&Lightning
04-14-2008, 07:21 AM
haha chargers pick. Pass on Cherilus for Mayo...naw

eaglesalltheway
04-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Am I the only one who likes his teams pick...:)

DeathbyStat
04-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Keith Rivers to KC?....does anyone buy this?

Larry121283
04-14-2008, 08:05 AM
I don't read or take seriously a Gosselin mock until the one done on Friday/Saturday before the draft.

If Jake Long is gone @ pick 5 (which he will be)...the KC pick is really open for interpretation.

I think they'll probably just reach on an OT like Clady, but we'll see. I wouldn't be shocked really with who they take.

The Jaguars, under no circumstance take a QB in round 1 with the recent signing of David Garrard long term and having a backup like Cleo Lemon for another three years. Maybe in rounds 3-5, but not in round 1.