PDA

View Full Version : Lions Mock Drafts

Prowler
12-17-2007, 12:41 PM
i made a little mock draft board for the lions. right now they are around pick 14ish but here's how i want to see their board.

1. jake long-not a chance of him falling, but in an ideal world i would want him on the lions at anything after pick 6 price range. i might actually prefer mini-howie or gholston but jake is 'local' and also removes question marks.

2. chris long-my favorite player in the draft, seriously a can't miss, marry my daughter talent

3. vernon gholston-f* state but would love to see what the marine can teach him, 13 sacks but 3 were against henne. 14.5 tfl

4. dmc-wouldn't mind picking him up for 'cheap' after those guys are off the board, letting kj walk and using dmc as marshall 2.0, zero chance though.

5. glenn dorsey-will play a little hurt and won't spend every other snap on the sideline

6. dan connor-leads the big ten with 136 tackles, 14 tfl, 6.5 sacks, 1 int, 7 pd. used to stopping running teams and wouldn't mind him making heads up plays for the lions.

7. james laurinaitis-103 tackles, 8.5 tfl, 5 sacks, 2 int, 3 pd, same boat as connor but i haven't watched him live and psu is linebacker u so he drops one tiny spot.

8/9. mike jenkins/malcom jenkins-i have no preference, except maybe for leroy jenkins if he came out of warcraft U.

10. kenny phillips-i trust that miami safeties translate into pro bowlers (football kind). i know we don't necessarily need him, but then i look at ed reed and taylor and wonder what if?

11. derrick harvey-proven winner and pass rusher. 14tfl and 6.5 sacks this year

12. quinton groves-unproven talent but had 23 qb hurries and only 3 sacks

13. aqib talib-4 interceptions and a touchdown this year, 6'2" and an important part of kansas' best season but for some reason i look at him and see 2nd round.

Scotty D
12-29-2007, 06:27 AM
Two scenarios

Trade - John Vilma,MLB for Shaun Rogers DT
Could easily be more pieces involved, but the two are the main pieces.

1. Calais Campbell, DE - Miami

2.Gosder Cherilous, OT - Boston College

3.Charles Godfrey, DB - Iowa

4.Ezra Butler, LB - Nevada

No trade

1.Jeff Otah, OT - Pittsburgh

2.Phillip Wheeler, LB - Georgia

3.Simeon Castille, CB - Alabama

4. Mike Hart, RB - Michigan

detroit4life
12-29-2007, 12:39 PM
i like scenario one

Bootland27
01-01-2008, 09:44 PM
15 - Dan Connor LB

Connor is an all around standout linebacker. He is a player that can make the big play, but also the type of player you count on to lead your defense and consistently be around the action. He is athletic, and has the quickness and speed to cover in space. The rare trait he has, is that he has a knack for finding the ball and making a play on it that most linebackers do not possess. He also has the toughness and strength to stick his nose in between the tackles and stuff the run. He is the prototypical linebacker, and has everything you look for in a linebacker prospect.

Connor is about as complete a linebacker as you can find, but he could stand to add a few more pounds to his frame. He will need more bulk and strength to hold up at the point attack in the running game against NFL blockers.

41 - Chris Ellis DE

Ellis is a solid pass rusher, and has a lot of potential in that area at the next level. He is a good athlete, with very good quickness and shows the ability to close on the quarterback. He comes off the line quickly, and shows the lateral agility to beat the tackle and put pressure on the quarterback or disrupt running plays. Ellis plays hard on the field and although he is not the biggest guy, makes plays in run support because he keeps going.

Ellis has to get bigger and stronger to be more than a situational pass rusher in the NFL. He can put pressure on the QB and he tries against the run, but he simply cannot hold up at the point of attack against NFL lineman in run support.

74 - Charles Godfrey CB

Charles Godfrey will turn out to be a diamond in the rough for some NFL franchise. Godfrey, a senior from Iowa, is one of the bigger cornerback prospects in the country. At 6'1" and 208 lbs., Godfrey has the size and strength to jam receivers at the line, even at the next level. Godfrey is not only big and strong, but has tremendous speed. He probably won't run the fastest 40 at the combine, but he's as fast in pads as most in the country

His sound open field tackling was developed during his time playing special teams as a freshman and starting at free safety as a sophomore. Godfrey shows great ball skills while in coverage and is great in run support. His experience at multiple positions, along with his strength and speed, should help him find himself amongst the top tier of cornerbacks in this draft.

Scotty D
01-02-2008, 12:09 AM
That would be a sick draft. Only thing is we don't draft the O-line, but honestly I would take that draft every day of the week.

TacticaLion
01-02-2008, 03:04 AM
That would be a sick draft. Only thing is we don't draft the O-line, but honestly I would take that draft every day of the week.
If we re-sign Woody (or find another FA OT), that draft is outstanding. Woody works, though... hope we can keep him.

Brothgar
01-03-2008, 12:29 PM
With Trade: Rogers, 1st round, 3rd round, 2009 2nd. To Atl for 1st and 2nd round pick.

How the trade works ATL needs a D linemen also they don't want to pay a QB top 5 money. I think the Falcon fans are right when they say the team doesn't want Matt Ryan or at least not at a top 5 pick and would rather have an Andre Woodson at pick 15.

Now for the picks

Round 1 Jake Long LT Michigan
Round 2a Aqib Talib CB Kansas
Round 2b Jonathan Goff ILB Vanderbilt
Round 4 Dustin Keller TE Purdue
Round 5 Tom Zbikowski S Notre Dame (Should improve in kickoff coverage)
Rounds 6+7 ???

No Trade

Round 1 Ryan Clady OT Boise St.
Round 2 Jonathan Goff ILB Vanderbuilt
Round 3 Charles Godfrey CB Iowa
Round 4 Xavier Adibi OLB Virginia Tech
Round 5 Tom Zbikowski S Notre Dame
Round 6 Owen Schmitt FB West VA

Notredameleo
01-03-2008, 01:01 PM
I dont think we will draft a FB!! But, I could be wrong, plus owen Schmitt is crazy..!

Scotty D
01-03-2008, 02:12 PM
With Trade: Rogers, 1st round, 3rd round, 2009 2nd. To Atl for 1st and 2nd round pick.

How the trade works ATL needs a D linemen also they don't want to pay a QB top 5 money. I think the Falcon fans are right when they say the team doesn't want Matt Ryan or at least not at a top 5 pick and would rather have an Andre Woodson at pick 15.

Now for the picks

Round 1 Jake Long LT Michigan
Round 2a Aqib Talib CB Kansas
Round 2b Jonathan Goff ILB Vanderbilt
Round 4 Dustin Keller TE Purdue
Round 5 Tom Zbikowski S Notre Dame (Should improve in kickoff coverage)
Rounds 6+7 ???

No Trade

Round 1 Ryan Clady OT Boise St.
Round 2 Jonathan Goff ILB Vanderbuilt
Round 3 Charles Godfrey CB Iowa
Round 4 Xavier Adibi OLB Virginia Tech
Round 5 Tom Zbikowski S Notre Dame
Round 6 Owen Schmitt FB West VA

I almost think Zbikowski could be a slb for us. What do you guys think? That trade with Atlanta is a good idea, but did you look at the value chart for it? I think it would take Shaun Rogers, our second rounder, and maybe more to get to #3. Owen Schmitt is going to be long gone before the 6th round also.

Brothgar
01-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I almost think Zbikowski could be a slb for us. What do you guys think? That trade with Atlanta is a good idea, but did you look at the value chart for it? I think it would take Shaun Rogers, our second rounder, and maybe more to get to #3. Owen Schmitt is going to be long gone before the 6th round also.

Zbikowski could definanty be a slb in a cover 2 system. Is it official that Atlanta has #3? I thought it was between 3-5 making the #5 pick accessable thinking that Rogers is worth a late 1st round pick (he's at least as good as booger mcfarland) with next years second round maybe throw in a 2009 3rd as well.

Scotty D
01-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Zbikowski could definanty be a slb in a cover 2 system. Is it official that Atlanta has #3? I thought it was between 3-5 making the #5 pick accessable thinking that Rogers is worth a late 1st round pick (he's at least as good as booger mcfarland) with next years second round maybe throw in a 2009 3rd as well.

No Atlanta isn't locked into #3 I don't know why I said that. But they are going to have to be in front of KC, because they might be a lock for Long.

Lionsfan93
01-04-2008, 04:39 PM
i think the our 1st pick has to be Offensive Linemen i would take someone like Ryan Clady, Jeff Otah, or Sam Baker

WMD
01-05-2008, 05:16 AM
i think the our 1st pick has to be Offensive Linemen i would take someone like Ryan Clady, Jeff Otah, or Sam Baker

I think our first pick HAS to be a Defensive player.. DE, LB, CB.. I'd wait and pick up an OT with our Round 2 pick.

Brothgar
01-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I think our first pick HAS to be a Defensive player.. DE, LB, CB.. I'd wait and pick up an OT with our Round 2 pick.

I think our first pick HAS to be a kicker or punter!

detroit4life
01-05-2008, 11:55 AM

i agree we need some serious help on defense and im hoping we can resign woody to play rt

Addict
01-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I think our first pick will be either a linebacker or defensive end, maybe if a great safety falls, we'll take one. Cover 2 doesn't require first round corners and offensively we just need to get that line sorted, which could be done through FA and shoving a foot up some players' asses.

detroit4life
01-06-2008, 12:27 PM
a few scenarios that might work out for us
scenario one
1. Calais Cambell
2. LB or OT
3. chevis jackson

scenario two
1. sam baker
2. quentin groves
3. LB

scenario three
1. Laurinitis
2. Groves (IMO best value we can get in round 2 but if not then BA DE)
3. CB/ OT

right now im rly hoping the lions take chevis jackson is round 3 or 4. He'll fall because he isnt the fastest guy but he sounds perfect for the cover two hes very physical and could probably start on this team next year. Hes played great competition in tghe sec as well so hes got some good expierience.

Quentin Groves is an interesting prospect. If we dont go DE in round one im sure he'll be available in round 2. He is undersized but would probably be a good pass rusher of the edge for us. Scary thing is reading toms scouting report on him he reminds me a lot of kalimba edwards.

Id rather not take a OT in day one if we can resign woody but if we do i would like baker becuase we all know he can play LT and is good in pass protection. If martz were here i think itd be a better possibility but i still wouldnt mind taking him

NickCollins36
01-10-2008, 01:52 PM
With the 15th pick in the 2008 NFL Draft the Detroit Lions select.....Mario Manningham, Wide Receiver, out of the Universty of Michigan

detroit4life
01-10-2008, 02:55 PM
With the 15th pick in the 2008 NFL Draft the Detroit Lions select.....Mario Manningham, Wide Receiver, out of the Universty of Michigan

hahaha ur so funny

try something original

Iamcanadian
01-10-2008, 03:09 PM
a few scenarios that might work out for us
scenario one
1. Calais Cambell
2. LB or OT
3. chevis jackson

scenario two
1. sam baker
2. quentin groves
3. LB

scenario three
1. Laurinitis
2. Groves (IMO best value we can get in round 2 but if not then BA DE)
3. CB/ OT

right now im rly hoping the lions take chevis jackson is round 3 or 4. He'll fall because he isnt the fastest guy but he sounds perfect for the cover two hes very physical and could probably start on this team next year. Hes played great competition in tghe sec as well so hes got some good expierience.

Quentin Groves is an interesting prospect. If we dont go DE in round one im sure he'll be available in round 2. He is undersized but would probably be a good pass rusher of the edge for us. Scary thing is reading toms scouting report on him he reminds me a lot of kalimba edwards.

Id rather not take a OT in day one if we can resign woody but if we do i would like baker becuase we all know he can play LT and is good in pass protection. If martz were here i think itd be a better possibility but i still wouldnt mind taking him

I hate all these senerios except #3 which has some merit but I'm not crazy about it.

1) Harvey DE (Campbell doesn't suit a Cover 2 team. It is hard to shoot the gap at 6'8")
2) A CB perhaps Anson Cason, or any CB who can play only in a zone because he is a better tackler who lacks speed to be a shutdown CB. OR a MLB if a good Cover 2 one is left.
3) Whatever we didn't draft in round 2.

detroit4life
01-10-2008, 03:15 PM
I hate all these senerios except #3 which has some merut but I'm not crazy about.

1) Harvey DE (Campbell doesn't suit a Cover 2 team. It is hard to shoot the gap at 6'8")
2) A CB perhaps Anson Cason, or any CB who can play only in a zone because he is a better tackler who lacks speed to be a shutdown CB. OR a MLB if a good Cover 2 one is left.
3) Whatever we didn't draft in round 2.

so whats wrong with scenario 3 it fit everything u were looking for just in a different order.
MLB is thin right now so if we dont take one in round one i doubt we would take one at all and would have to look in FA for one. Meluaga and Laurinitis are the only two that would actually be an upgrade over what we have now next season. Groves does fit the cover 2 DE role and we can get a CB in round three such as Chevis Jackson who fits a zone defense perfectly or terrell thomas

wingboy2999
01-10-2008, 03:31 PM
I think our first pick will be either a linebacker or defensive end, maybe if a great safety falls, we'll take one. Cover 2 doesn't require first round corners and offensively we just need to get that line sorted, which could be done through FA and shoving a foot up some players' asses.

Justin Smith?

detroit4life
01-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Justin Smith?

not a fan of getting smith only 2 sacks last year and if hes not wanted over in cincinatti not sure how good he rly is

if were going to pursue anyone hard in FA i want it to be suggs or allen

Play Hard
01-10-2008, 08:28 PM

Nice:twisted:

jballa838
01-13-2008, 01:09 PM
hahaha ur so funny

try something original
With the 15th overall pick of the 2008 draft, the Detroit Lions select: Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State

wingboy2999
01-13-2008, 01:16 PM
With the 15th overall pick of the 2008 draft, the Detroit Lions select: Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State

What is the joke with this guy?

jballa838
01-13-2008, 06:01 PM
What is the joke with this guy?
well, he has about 12 posters on about 30 accounts saying how awesome he is and how fast he is and how he is the next T.O./ Jerry Rice. Then the cool guys(me, etk, P-L, BF51, etc...) starting making fun of them and we go "OMGzzz JordyZZZ NelsonZZZ!!" and it became a re-occuring joke.

wingboy2999
01-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Gotcha. I heard he is next Isiah Stanback.

Scotty D
01-13-2008, 11:09 PM
1.Aqib Talib, CB - Kansas

2.Anthony Collins, OT - Kansas

3A. Vince Hall, ILB - Virginia Tech

3B. - Steve Slaton, RB - West Virgina

4. - Simeon Castille, CB - Alabama

So I didnt help DE and don't ask where the extra third rounder came from.

wingboy2999
01-13-2008, 11:15 PM
don't ask where the extra third rounder came from.

Uhhhhhhhhh?

Scotty D
01-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Projected trades
Roy Williams to San Francisco for their 1st rounder (#30)
Shaun Rogers to Oakland Raiders for their 2nd rounder

1 (#15) - Michael Oher, LT - Ole Miss
1 (#30) - Curtis Lofton, MLB - Oklahoma
2nd - Jack Ikegwuonou, CB - Wisconsion
2nd - Lawrence Jackson, DE - USC
3rd - Ray Rice, RB - Rutgers

Ok this may be a little optimistic, but I think both trades are good for fits for both teams. Roy follows Martz to San Fran and adds a legit #1 for them. Oher being available at 15 is a little iffy. At this stage of the process it isn't out of the question. Am I undervaluing where Ray Rice will be drafted? This draft is incredibly deep and I see him sliding a little bit, but it might have been to far. Also I would want to trade down from #30 and pick up more picks and add a DT, but that is getting a little complicated.

wingboy2999
01-16-2008, 11:19 AM
If I were to trade Roy that'd be for something higher then the #30 pick. I don't think that is enough value for him personally. For Rogers, that value is about correct.

Scotty D
01-16-2008, 02:38 PM
If I were to trade Roy that'd be for something higher then the #30 pick. I don't think that is enough value for him personally. For Rogers, that value is about correct.

I may be overvaluing the draft's strength, but the #30 pick may be more valuable than in previous years so it wouldn't be that bad.

Addict
01-16-2008, 06:05 PM
well, he has about 12 posters on about 30 accounts saying how awesome he is and how fast he is and how he is the next T.O./ Jerry Rice. Then the cool guys(me, etk, P-L, BF51, etc...) starting making fun of them and we go "OMGzzz JordyZZZ NelsonZZZ!!" and it became a re-occuring joke.

... you're contradicting yourself.

jbombul
01-20-2008, 06:38 AM
round 1- derrick harvey de florida
round 2- charles godfrey cb iowa
round 3- jamaal charles rb texas
round 4- ezra butler lb nevada

what do u guys think? i was thinking about giving us chris johnson in the 2nd round just because hes so damn fast

Addict
01-20-2008, 08:40 AM
A few guys I would love to see in a Lions uni

1. Mendenhall
2. Harvey
3. Henderson (for some reason I think he'll be fantastic)
4. Aqib Talib/Justin King
5. Lofton or Mayo.

Best thing is, with some creative trading, I think we could get most of them.

Iamcanadian
01-20-2008, 09:49 AM
so whats wrong with scenario 3 it fit everything u were looking for just in a different order.
MLB is thin right now so if we dont take one in round one i doubt we would take one at all and would have to look in FA for one. Meluaga and Laurinitis are the only two that would actually be an upgrade over what we have now next season. Groves does fit the cover 2 DE role and we can get a CB in round three such as Chevis Jackson who fits a zone defense perfectly or terrell thomas

I didn't say I disliked #3, I just preferred a DE with the 1st pick. #3 was fine with me.

Iamcanadian
01-20-2008, 09:53 AM

1. Mendenhall
2. Harvey
5. Lofton or Mayo.

Now your getting carried away, we would require either 3 first round picks and 2 second round picks to get all these guys. Maybe it could be done with 2 Firsts and 3 seconds but nothing less.
I do agree though that RB has to be looked at possibly in round 1 or 2. I have no doubt Marunelli intends to run the ball a whole lot next season.

Xiomera
01-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Am I crazy for considering wanting Dan Connor at 15?

If Mike Jenkins, Keith Rivers, Gholston, Clady and Otah are all off the board it will probably force us into taking a RB based on value . . .

Is there that much concern of Connor playing in the middle? 6 months ago everyone called him the top MLB and a top 10 pick it seemed.

Scotty D
01-20-2008, 01:35 PM

If Mike Jenkins, Keith Rivers, Gholston, Clady and Otah are all off the board it will probably force us into taking a RB based on value . . .

Is there that much concern of Connor playing in the middle? 6 months ago everyone called him the top MLB and a top 10 pick it seemed.

Taking Connor would be reaching for need. Instead of going for the best value. It gets into draft philosophy, and raises a ton more questions. That being said we could make a worse pick.

wingboy2999
01-20-2008, 01:44 PM

1. Mendenhall
2. Harvey
5. Lofton or Mayo.

Which is only something we'd be capable of doing in the forum mock. No way in hell it'll happen in real life. But yeah, I bet I could swing doing that in the forum draft. Actually, almost sure I'd be able to get most of them. Granted, that'd mean Rogers and Roy would be out the door. And if we trade Rogers, we need a DT.

Or do people think IAK could start at DT?

wingboy2999
01-20-2008, 01:45 PM

Yeah.... F PSU in the A.

Addict
01-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Now your getting carried away, we would require either 3 first round picks and 2 second round picks to get all these guys. Maybe it could be done with 2 Firsts and 3 seconds but nothing less.
I do agree though that RB has to be looked at possibly in round 1 or 2. I have no doubt Marunelli intends to run the ball a whole lot next season.

Mendenhall and Harvey = two firsts, we have one, and get one for Roy

Henderson is a third IMO, too much quality ahead of him, so that's okay

Rogers might net us a third, or a trade up for either Mayo or Lofton and one of those two corners is bound to fall a bit, so I don't think it's impossible.

Implausible, I agree.

wingboy2999
01-20-2008, 05:06 PM
I don't know why... but I like Justin King. Yes, he went to PSU and I HATE them. But I like his potential. He is fast and has skills that could translate into the return game. Good size too.

Xiomera
01-20-2008, 09:24 PM
All I was saying is that I can see Millen falling in love with Dan Connor, having been a PSU Linebacker himself.

wingboy2999
01-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Why don't we just hold off on RBs and take Mike Hart in the 4th? I think he has late 2nd-early 3rd value and PROBABLY would fall to the 4th. He obviously can be a work horse. But do we think he can be a starter?

Iamcanadian
01-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Why don't we just hold off on RBs and take Mike Hart in the 4th? I think he has late 2nd-early 3rd value and PROBABLY would fall to the 4th. He obviously can be a work horse. But do we think he can be a starter?

Hart's game doesn't translate well to the NFL. He's small and slow. Yes, he has good vision and is quick but when you are small, running between the tackles in the NFL is pretty tough. He just doesn't have the speed to succeed in the NFL. Great college RB, period.

Addict
01-21-2008, 08:23 AM
All I was saying is that I can see Millen falling in love with Dan Connor, having been a PSU Linebacker himself.

they had chance to get Poz last year and declined, I don't think the love affair runs that deep. With linebacker being such a need and Martz out of the way, who knows. But I don't think his PSU background will affect it much.

Scotty D
01-21-2008, 08:08 PM

I'd love to move forward with a Duckett and a slasher type RB. A guy like Jamaal Charles or Steve Slaton. Chris Johnson even. I do believe that those guys have return experience also.

jbombul
01-21-2008, 08:16 PM
chris johnson would be awesome, but the only problem is what round will he be picked in? im guessing early second because of his outstanding speed, i'd rather much spend our second on defense

wingboy2999
01-21-2008, 08:18 PM
I'd be more for Charles. I've watched games where Slaton tore Pitt up... and games like this past year where he was NOTHING. He can be soft. He gets knocked on his ass and he gets discouraged, he starts getting hurt. So that is a legit knock.

Addict
01-22-2008, 06:10 AM
chris johnson would be awesome, but the only problem is what round will he be picked in? im guessing early second because of his outstanding speed, i'd rather much spend our second on defense

I'd love to move forward with a Duckett and a slasher type RB. A guy like Jamaal Charles or Steve Slaton. Chris Johnson even. I do believe that those guys have return experience also.

I'd be more for Charles. I've watched games where Slaton tore Pitt up... and games like this past year where he was NOTHING. He can be soft. He gets knocked on his ass and he gets discouraged, he starts getting hurt. So that is a legit knock.

you three, shut it. I want Mendenhall. We'll trade a first-rounder for Roy.

Otherwise, that Keith Rivers kid don't look too bad, and I'm starting to lose faith in some of these cornerbacks. Maybe this isn't the best year to take one, at least, not in the first.

Addict
01-22-2008, 09:34 AM
here, WAS trades 1st round pick (22nd overall) to Detroit Lions for Roy Williams

1/15 - Derrick Harvey, DE
1/22 - Rashard Mendenhall, RB
2/15 - Erin Henderson, LB
3/15 - Antoine Cason, CB (I feel he'll slide because of depth.

DANG, I like that

wingboy2999
01-22-2008, 09:41 AM
You think he'd drop to 22? Guess we don't address our OL which I view as a pretty big need. Well, if we don't resign Woody that is. If we resign Woody, I think that can be a stopgap until next year when we need more youth. Our OL played much better with him at RT.

Addict
01-22-2008, 09:47 AM
You think he'd drop to 22? Guess we don't address our OL which I view as a pretty big need. Well, if we don't resign Woody that is. If we resign Woody, I think that can be a stopgap until next year when we need more youth. Our OL played much better with him at RT.

Yeah I had trouble fitting OL in there, but the way I see it we need to be realistic, this team isn't going to be fixed by one draft, chances are next year we'll be abysmal (unless maybe Millen gets some FA's or we do well picking lineman in rounds 4-7, who knows). I'd rather wait a year for Oher to come out, and see if we could have a swing at him.

This adresses some major problems. Plus we may get a third for KJ (fingers crossed) and we could pick up a lineman with that.

Oh and most mocks I've seen have Mendenhall fall to the Seahawks at 25, so I think as of now it's an option. After the combine that may change.

Newbs24
01-22-2008, 10:28 AM
I really hope we don't reach for a RB in round 1. The Line is just awful and NEEDS to be addressed. If there is a talent at #15 that can fill in at LT I would have to think we would draft him. Baker or Clady or Otah would be nice. I would hope that they would move Backus inside. I don't care what he makes and that it would put him as the highest paid G in the L, he needs to be at a natural position.
The second and third round need to be focused on CB and MLB. Henderson or Wheeler would be nice but they might be better suited on the outside. I like Goff as well. We just need playmakers on D.
I think reaching for a position of need has worked out well with Ernie Sims. Drafting for BPA has not been overly wonderful with Mike Williams. I think trading Roy and Fat Baby would help a lot. They have to at least put their names out there to see if anybody is willing to throw a 1st or 2nd for each of them.

Addict
01-22-2008, 10:43 AM
And I'm one hundered percent in favor of dealing KJ, he's always injured anyway, and maybe someone is insane enough to hand us a 3rd or 4th for him.

And O-line talent isn't always found in the first two/three lines, some of those guys is bound to fall, besides they did pretty well in the first few games, so maybe with a free agent at RT (someone not Foster) we'll be better.

All things considered we'll probably have another top ten pick to cherish next year anyhow, and then we'll probably have stanton under center, who we will need to protect. I prefer waiting for Oher than reaching for a lineman now.

Newbs24
01-22-2008, 12:11 PM
And I'm one hundered percent in favor of dealing KJ, he's always injured anyway, and maybe someone is insane enough to hand us a 3rd or 4th for him.

And O-line talent isn't always found in the first two/three lines, some of those guys is bound to fall, besides they did pretty well in the first few games, so maybe with a free agent at RT (someone not Foster) we'll be better.

All things considered we'll probably have another top ten pick to cherish next year anyhow, and then we'll probably have stanton under center, who we will need to protect. I prefer waiting for Oher than reaching for a lineman now.

I guess we differ. I am more inclined to reach for a player at a position of need than just go BPA available. I know OLineman and all positions are a crap shoot, but I think this class has many guys that could come in and play right now at LT. LT is the area that we need the most immediate help at. Kitna is not a great QB by any stretch but I don't think we do anything next year if Backus is back at LT. The guy is too slow. Also, if people think that Stanton is going to be the answer at QB, they have been duped by Matt Millen once again.

Addict
01-22-2008, 12:48 PM
I guess we differ. I am more inclined to reach for a player at a position of need than just go BPA available. I know OLineman and all positions are a crap shoot, but I think this class has many guys that could come in and play right now at LT. LT is the area that we need the most immediate help at. Kitna is not a great QB by any stretch but I don't think we do anything next year if Backus is back at LT. The guy is too slow. Also, if people think that Stanton is going to be the answer at QB, they have been duped by Matt Millen once again.

I don't feel like spending draft picks on guys we're not sure about just because we need it. Personally Mendenhall/Harvay is my perfect first round, with Henderson in the second. Any CB that falls comes in the third round, then, with KJ probably going for an early second day pick (3rd-4th round) we can bring in an O-Lineman or more than that after that pick. Essentially, we have too many needs to let need decide. Hell the Lions drafting for need at this point is basically the same as BPA.

I'll say it again: this team won't be fixed in one offseason, and we shouln't want to either. We'll be crappy one more year and grab ourselves a bona fide LT prospect in Michael Oher next year. What do you want? A winning season? That will just prolong our losing ways. We finally managed to show the league we're not inept (although that losing streak was freakin' ugly). Let's have a quality draft rather than reaching for O-lineman, just because we need them. What we need is some freakin' talent on this team.

And we need to run Kenoy Kennedy out of town.

PS: Mendenhall @ 22 is not a reach, but a steal.

wingboy2999
01-22-2008, 01:58 PM
I agree as well that we won't be solving all our problems with one draft. Honestly, I think we can resign Woody as our RT. Our line could hold over for a year and get a LT next year.

Xiomera
01-22-2008, 02:01 PM
I agree as well that we won't be solving all our problems with one draft. Honestly, I think we can resign Woody as our RT. Our line could hold over for a year and get a LT next year.

Sign Woody and Sign Faneca. Make Faneca the highest paid guard in the league if we have to.

Spend a mid round pick on a young OT.

That's what we ought to do to address the line.

Newbs24
01-22-2008, 02:10 PM
I just think it would be foolish to draft this year while we are guessing at what we could get next year. Thats what it seems like you want to do with Oher. He is a can't miss. He could tear a knee up and be done with football. I think if there is a guy staring you in the face at #15 who looks the part in filling a major need on our team (CB, LT, MLB) you have to take him.

wingboy2999
01-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Hell, RB may turn out to be a need since it appears Coletto is looking for a new starter. We can't count on KJ. Duckett is only effective as part of a tandem. And the rest of our RBs can't be starters. So................. we might be looking at RB too.

detroit4life
01-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Sign Woody and Sign Faneca. Make Faneca the highest paid guard in the league if we have to.

Spend a mid round pick on a young OT.

That's what we ought to do to address the line.

i would love that and that would give us a pretty good oline IMO

wingboy2999
01-22-2008, 02:29 PM
I think if we signed those two we'd have our line all but shored up. That'd make me even more unwilling to draft OL.

detroit4life
01-22-2008, 02:31 PM
II'll say it again: this team won't be fixed in one offseason, and we shouln't want to either. We'll be crappy one more year and grab ourselves a bona fide LT prospect in Michael Oher next year. What do you want? A winning season? That will just prolong our losing ways.

that is the worst mindset ive ever read im kinda schocked you wrote that to be honest. How would a winning season prolong our losing? Id much rather win next year and be a legit team than losing just to have a top ten pick

wingboy2999
01-22-2008, 02:38 PM
I think he is more talking to the fact that although we had a 7-9 season but still have big leaps to go. And yes, I'd much rather try to put together a better team then to sit in purgatory, get middling draft picks and get nothing out of it.

detroit4life
01-22-2008, 02:43 PM
but a winning season would not be 7-9 it would be 9-7 or better which would also most likely mean a playoff spot in the NFC. We missed it just 2 games this year and looking at some of the games we lost we easily could have been 9-7 some things just didnt go our way in the end of the game like the dallas game and the giants game. 2 playoff teams that barely beat us. We didnt even have roy against dallas. So y do u assume we go backwards next year? i'd rather take a 7-9 season over a top ten pick anyway

wingboy2999
01-22-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm not assuming we got backwards. We got trends that point either way. We play great against teams like Dallas and Denver.... then when we get blown out... we get BLOWN out. Stuff like that makes you think it can go either way. It isn't a sure thing that things are trending up. That is all. Trust me, I'd like to have a football team that is respectable.

Addict
01-22-2008, 03:16 PM
that is the worst mindset ive ever read im kinda schocked you wrote that to be honest. How would a winning season prolong our losing? Id much rather win next year and be a legit team than losing just to have a top ten pick

I think you didn't quite catch my drift. What I'm saying is this team needs more than one offseason, so we shouldn't be kidding ourselves. A winning season will mean another draft pick in the 17-27 range, while what this team desperately needs is some talented players, sure there's talent right now, but one proper defender (Sims) and one or two bright spots on offense (Williams, who might bolt, and CJ, who needs to come into his own) isn't gonna cut it.

Essentially there's no point in drafting need players when you have so many needs, adressing the big hole with a so-so player doesn't make sense when you could lock down a position that is also very weak with a real potential star (RB -> Mendenhall, DE -> Harvey, ILB -> take your pick), thing is there's not going to be much to be had @15 when talking about OLine, Long and Chelius will be gone, so will Clady and I doubt Otah will still be there as well. So we'd have to reach, same story with Mayo, yes ILB is a need, but Mayo isn't a first rounder as of now and to make him one would just hurt us in the long one since we could have an elite talent for another position.

I'd rather have a weak position locked down and filled with a solid, elite talent than having a real hole temporarily adressed with a need-pick that's a reach. If that means a losing season, so be it, we've been losing for so long another season won't matter much, may even get Millen fired (fingers crossed). I think by showing some patience and drafting talent rather than need, we can set this team up to be consumate winners and perennial contenders, rather than a flash in the pan or a one-season wonder.

detroit4life
01-22-2008, 08:22 PM
i dont think we will reach like that if anything we would just trade up for a player like mayo. Lions could do so many things at 15 that they wont have to reach because they can fill so many holes. DE OT LB CB could all be legitimate picks there will be value at one of those positions

wingboy2999
01-22-2008, 09:52 PM
I think guys like Mayo/Lofton could MAYBE be there in the 2nd.

Addict
01-25-2008, 09:22 AM
I think guys like Mayo/Lofton could MAYBE be there in the 2nd.

One of them is bound to fall a bit I think.

By the way.... Mayock has a big boner for DT Trever Laws of Notre Dame, he did look pretty unblockable in practice, what do you guys make of hm?

wingboy2999
01-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Do you think we need another DT if we still keep Rogers?

Addict
01-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Do you think we need another DT if we still keep Rogers?

I was thinking if we do in fact trade Rogers, we might need someone. Plus I'm not overly excited about Cody.

Iamcanadian
01-25-2008, 10:27 AM
I think Laws would be perfect for a Cover 2 team, however, he's more lijely suitable for Redding's position than taking Roger's place.

wingboy2999
01-25-2008, 10:43 AM
If we did trade Rogers and got a DT, I'd rather get a guy that is at or past 300 pounds. We need a big body to replace him. Redding is our pass rush DT. We need a guy that can atleast hold the line similar to Rogers. Okam in the 2nd/3rd would work for me. He's a big dude.

TacticaLion
02-03-2008, 02:32 AM
If we did trade Rogers and got a DT, I'd rather get a guy that is at or past 300 pounds. We need a big body to replace him. Redding is our pass rush DT. We need a guy that can atleast hold the line similar to Rogers. Okam in the 2nd/3rd would work for me. He's a big dude.

Check out Dre Moore... a big, strong man that can collapse the pocket and hold his own. We could probably grab him in the 4th/5th.

TL's Mock Draft: No More Roy In Detroit

**Det trades Roy Williams to SF for their 2nd round (39) draft pick.**

1st Round: Dan Connor (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ilb/danconnor.html) / MLB
2nd Round (fr SF): Patrick Lee (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/patricklee.html) / CB
2nd Round: Charles Godfrey (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/charlesgodfrey.html) / CB
3rd Round: Chris Johnson (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/chrisjohnson.html) / RB
4th Round: Harry Douglass (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/wr/harrydouglas.html) / WR
5th Round: Dre Moore (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/dremoore.html) / DT

This is a draft that I can see happening. If we're willing to accept a high 2nd round pick for Roy, SF is a logical destination. Lee and Godfrey are ideal Cover 2 CBs, Johnson is a great CoP back to Jones/Duckett and Moore can join the rotation at DT (and take over when Rogers leaves). I can see Douglass falling in the draft... would see some playing time and step in as the KR/PR.

TL's Mock Draft: Rogers Becomes a Dolphin

**Det trades Shaun Rogers to Miami for Jason Taylor.**

1st Round: Aqib Talib / CB
2nd Round: Philip Wheeler (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ilb/philipwheeler.html) / MLB
3rd Round: Joseph "Red" Bryant (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/redbryant.html) / DT
4th Round: Chevis Jackson (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/chevisjackson.html) / CB
5th Round: Justin Forsett (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/justinforsett.html) / RB

If Rogers leaves, I can see a draft like this falling into place. Without 2 2nd round picks, securing a talented CB becomes priority. Wheeler fits at MLB, and Bryant is a big, strong natural leader that loves the game. Jackson is an ideal Cover 2 CB and Forsett would be a great CoP back (and KR/PR).

woodnick
02-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Check out Dre Moore... a big, strong man that can collapse the pocket and hold his own. We could probably grab him in the 4th/5th.

TL's Mock Draft: No More Roy In Detroit

**Det trades Roy Williams to SF for their 2nd round (39) draft pick.**

1st Round: Dan Connor (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ilb/danconnor.html) / MLB
2nd Round (fr SF): Patrick Lee (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/patricklee.html) / CB
2nd Round: Charles Godfrey (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/charlesgodfrey.html) / CB
3rd Round: Chris Johnson (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/chrisjohnson.html) / RB
4th Round: Harry Douglass (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/wr/harrydouglas.html) / WR
5th Round: Dre Moore (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/dremoore.html) / DT

This is a draft that I can see happening. If we're willing to accept a high 2nd round pick for Roy, SF is a logical destination. Lee and Godfrey are ideal Cover 2 CBs, Johnson is a great CoP back to Jones/Duckett and Moore can join the rotation at DT (and take over when Rogers leaves). I can see Douglass falling in the draft... would see some playing time and step in as the KR/PR.

TL's Mock Draft: Rogers Becomes a Dolphin

**Det trades Shaun Rogers to Miami for Jason Taylor.**

1st Round: Aqib Talib / CB
2nd Round: Philip Wheeler (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ilb/philipwheeler.html) / MLB
3rd Round: Joseph "Red" Bryant (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/redbryant.html) / DT
4th Round: Chevis Jackson (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/chevisjackson.html) / CB
5th Round: Justin Forsett (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/justinforsett.html) / RB

If Rogers leaves, I can see a draft like this falling into place. Without 2 2nd round picks, securing a talented CB becomes priority. Wheeler fits at MLB, and Bryant is a big, strong natural leader that loves the game. Jackson is an ideal Cover 2 CB and Forsett would be a great CoP back (and KR/PR).

I could see either of these scenarios playing out, but I think that it's a little unlikely that we'll get Jason Taylor for Rogers. Either way, not bad overall, but I think that eventually we should try to adress the TE position w/ a middle rounder in Carlson or Kellen Davis. TE seems like a decently deep position in FA though so we might be able to get one in their. I like Johnson's upside, but if he runs in the 4.2s like he's supposed to I don't know if he'll be there in th 3rd in which scenario we might be able to substitute Kevin Smith for him who should be an every down back.

Overall I like it, seems to adress the majority of our issues and I think that Connor will be a huge pick especially if we resign Bailey and let he and Paris compete and provide depth.

TacticaLion
02-03-2008, 11:52 AM
I could see either of these scenarios playing out, but I think that it's a little unlikely that we'll get Jason Taylor for Rogers. Either way, not bad overall, but I think that eventually we should try to adress the TE position w/ a middle rounder in Carlson or Kellen Davis. TE seems like a decently deep position in FA though so we might be able to get one in their. I like Johnson's upside, but if he runs in the 4.2s like he's supposed to I don't know if he'll be there in th 3rd in which scenario we might be able to substitute Kevin Smith for him who should be an every down back.

Overall I like it, seems to adress the majority of our issues and I think that Connor will be a huge pick especially if we resign Bailey and let he and Paris compete and provide depth.The Taylor/Rogers trade stems from a report (http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/2008/02/kowalski_on_wdfn_february_1.html) that Parcells is in love with Rogers and the Lions want a proven defensive veteran in return. It's rumored that Taylor wants to be traded, and I don't think we'd trade for Thomas... so Taylor would have to be the pick.

I thought about TE... but, with a healthy Campbell and McHugh, I think the position is set. Campbell was great two years ago and McHugh can get the job done. The only way we'd improve the position in the draft would be to draft a TE in rounds 1 or 2, and I don't see us doing that.

And, yeah... if Johnson runs a 4.2, he wont be there. If not, swap that pick with the next best thing (like Smith, as you said).

(Note: Boss Bailey will most likely walk in FA. Buster Davis, Paris Lenon and Alex Lewis (or a rookie) will fight for the SLB spot.)

woodnick
02-03-2008, 12:10 PM
My mock draft would look a little like this:

Keep both Roy and Rogers, unless the value is too good for either of them (1st for Roy, Proven pass rusher/Vilma for Rogers & a 3rd/4th)

Attempt to trade down to a mid-20s and pick up an extra 3rd and:

1st) after trade to roughly 25 - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, I know there are questions about his ability to be physical, especially when he's 6'1.5'' and 183 lbs., but during senior bowl practices he aslo played a little FS and showed a lot of ability coming up to hit and coverage in space, which seems like a big time prospect for our system. Even with his low weight, I've read that he has a frame that will allow him to bulk up a bit.

2nd)[B] - Chris Williams or Gosder Cherilus, depending on how things are shaking out, one of these two might still be available or we might have to trade up 8 or so spots using a 4th. This would be a lot easier if we trade Roy, in which that case we'd be in great position to have our pick. These guy would be able to fill in imediately at RT or even compete at LT and slide Backus to another position depending on how OTAs and training camp go for them.

[B]3rd) - Clifford Avril, Lions get a situational pass rusher to be able to rotate with IAF and hope that either of the two develop as a full time end

3rd) got in trade - Charles Godfrey or Terrell Thomas, both guys seem to possess physicallity and ball skills so the coaches should have their choice of who fit their character requirements.

4th) - Kellen Davis, A TE that has the potential and build to end up being a big time talent, should help the Lions to continue to transition to a balanced offense with his in-line blocking and pass catching skill set

5th - 7th finish up with some depth at MLB, DT, and S

Obviously the major need that I didn't adress is MLB and the reason is that I just think that next years crop will be hedd and shoulders better than Connor, this years best, so if we can adress the needs that have decent depth in this years draft, such as CB and OT, and stick out another year of Paris and Buster Davis inside, than we should be in a position to grab one of the better MLB prospects next year and have a decent foundation of young guys on both sides of the ball. But we still have Millen so there's telling what he's going to do.

woodnick
02-03-2008, 12:21 PM
The Taylor/Rogers trade stems from a report (http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/2008/02/kowalski_on_wdfn_february_1.html) that Parcells is in love with Rogers and the Lions want a proven defensive veteran in return. It's rumored that Taylor wants to be traded, and I don't think we'd trade for Thomas... so Taylor would have to be the pick.

I thought about TE... but, with a healthy Campbell and McHugh, I think the position is set. Campbell was great two years ago and McHugh can get the job done. The only way we'd improve the position in the draft would be to draft a TE in rounds 1 or 2, and I don't see us doing that.

And, yeah... if Johnson runs a 4.2, he wont be there. If not, swap that pick with the next best thing (like Smith, as you said).

(Note: Boss Bailey will most likely walk in FA. Buster Davis, Paris Lenon and Alex Lewis (or a rookie) will fight for the SLB spot.)

Yeah I saw that report also, but I think that Taylor and Thomas are both under no-trade clauses due to their time in the league spent under one team. I think that if they are then it's a longshot for them to waive it to come to us.

Yeah Campbell was a pleasant surprise last year, but he's getting old and don't think McHugh has the long term potential as an impact TE. But what we have is very passible and we do have other holes, as you said.

I'm hoping that Bailey will be back, I think the staff really believes in him and he does flash potential, which could lead to him getting over paid by some one else.

detroit4life
02-03-2008, 10:31 PM
if we got a late first or a early second for roy i would want a draft like this

Harvey
Mayo or Lofton
Cason
Chevis jackson

I really believe we need another quality DE and i think Harvey can make a huge impact. We get 2 new Cbs both who fit our system and we fill our ILB hole with a quality player. All defense and we will be much better next year. Keep rogers our front four of harvey-redding-rogers-white with devries and IAF rotating in. We'd go through some growing pains in our secondary but we're not looking at a superbowl next year anyway.

Addict
02-04-2008, 07:41 AM

Harvey
Mayo or Lofton
Cason
Chevis jackson

I really believe we need another quality DE and i think Harvey can make a huge impact. We get 2 new Cbs both who fit our system and we fill our ILB hole with a quality player. All defense and we will be much better next year. Keep rogers our front four of harvey-redding-rogers-white with devries and IAF rotating in. We'd go through some growing pains in our secondary but we're not looking at a superbowl next year anyway.

King? I'd like King as well, but your list looks spot on in my book.

Addict
02-05-2008, 07:40 AM
oh and about the RB position. I think Mendenhall is a better fit for us than Stewart. I really don't know what to make of him, so I'll hold off on deciding until after the combine, but right now I like Mendenhall a good bit more.

Iamcanadian
02-05-2008, 10:24 AM

Harvey
Mayo or Lofton
Cason
Chevis jackson

I'd hire you right now to replace Matt Millen. Excellent draft but if you review last year's mocks you'll see a real tendency for mockers to give us 2 or 3 1st rounders. I love your draft but lately I've seen gurus placing Harvey in the top 12 picks otherwise your right on.

Iamcanadian
02-05-2008, 10:28 AM
King? I'd like King as well, but your list looks spot on in my book.

I love King and think he is a huge sleeper in the draft however, he isn't a Cover 2 CB but will be a shutdown CB for somebody. Cover 2 teams usually look for physical CB's who can tackle exceptionally well and know how to play in a zone where top end speed isn't required.

Addict
02-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Is anyone else fascinated by Jason Jones (DE, Eastern Michigan)? His scouting report and current draft status make him an attactive option in my book..

Jason Jones, DE, Eastern Michigan - Height: 6-5 | Weight: 270 | 40-Time: 4.75

Strengths:
Excellent size and a solid frame...Very athletic...Great timed speed and quickness for his size...Versatile with experience at two positions...A hard worker with solid intangibles...Extremely productive and made a lot of impact plays behind the line.

Weaknesses:
Might be a bit of a 'tweener without a true pro position...His physical tools will not be quite as impressive outside at end...Sack totals were surprisingly low...Did not always face top competition...Still a bit raw and hasn't mastered a single position.

Notes:
Brother, Michael, played football at Alabama St...Actually began his college career as a tight end...Played out of position at defensive tackle as a senior...Interesting sleeper who really saw his stock soar throughout the 2007 season...It's still up in the air as to where exactly he will fit in at the pro level but teams will undoubtedly find a home for someone with his rare combo of triangle numbers and production.

TacticaLion
02-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Is anyone else fascinated by Jason Jones (DE, Eastern Michigan)? His scouting report and current draft status make him an attactive option in my book..
Great find, Addict. Interesting choice in round 3. Seems to have everything Marinelli wants.

reinar
02-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Everyone keeps saying that in order for us to trade Rogers, we need to get something good in return (vilma, taylor, etc) AND some pick on top of it. I think this is wrong. I think that if we got EITHER a good pick (1st round, or more depending on who it came from) OR a good player (taylor, or vilma in my mind) that we should do it, move on and be happy.

Also I think Duckett could be an everydown back, or part of a tandem with any numbere of quick type backs with good hands for screens, etc. so I say we trade KJ and get another player (need) or some more picks again.

as for Roy, i want to keep him, but if he is slightly unhappy, or the right trade comes along (read again good picks) or good player trade, I would be happy with CJ, Furrey, McDonald as my 3 wideouts.

we NEED a double digit sack DE, and a strong MLB for this cover 2 team, and we lack both right now.
We NEED to lower our sacks on our QB. we shrunk our sacks on QB down to 50 from 63, but unless it drops another 15, it isnt worth it. so OL needs to be looked at though I liked them this year.

If we could get 3 good players to fill needs, with the trades, and/or good picks as well, i think we could have a huge impact. if not, and from what im hearing our FA will be slight to little to no impact, im wondering what the next year will be.

Addict
02-06-2008, 06:02 AM
Great find, Addict. Interesting choice in round 3. Seems to have everything Marinelli wants.

all props go to scott, I only noticed him cause he's on the Prospect Hot List... But he is from EMU, pretty much our backyard, so I doubt if he's any good that we'll miss him. Biggest risk is that he does well in the combine or whatever causing him to be out of reach

^take note, bold is a word joke.

TacticaLion
02-06-2008, 08:37 AM
all props go to scott, I only noticed him cause he's on the Prospect Hot List... But he is from EMU, pretty much our backyard, so I doubt if he's any good that we'll miss him. Biggest risk is that he does well in the combine or whatever causing him to be out of reach

^take note, bold is a word joke.

And a good one at that.

He needs to stay in the 4th-5th round range... we only have so many picks.

Addict
02-06-2008, 08:39 AM
And a good one at that.

He needs to stay in the 4th-5th round range... we only have so many picks.

I wouldn't mind a late third on him, since with statements made we may not get more out of Rogers than that...

Scotty D
02-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Don't forget we have this thread! It's easy to track down all our old drafts after the draft to see who was right and wrong!

Addict
02-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Don't forget we have this thread! It's easy to track down all our old drafts after the draft to see who was right and wrong!

That's gonna be a painfull sight :P

Scotty D
03-03-2008, 06:19 PM
A
1st - Rashard Mendenhall, RB - Illinois
2nd - Carl Nicks, OT - Nebraska
3rd - Jonathon Goff, LB - Vandy
3rd - Terrell Thomas, CB - USC

B
1st - Gosder Cherilous, OT - Boston College
2nd - Ray Rice, RB - Rutgers
3rd - Chevis Jackson, CB - LSU
3rd - Ben Moffit, MLB - USF

C
1st - Derrick Harvey, DE - Florida
2nd - Jerod Mayo, Tennessee
3rd - Anthony Collins, OT - Kansas
3rd - Kevin Smith, RB - UCF

detroit4life
03-03-2008, 11:21 PM
loved draft C until the Collins pick. CB would be a better pick at that point with chivis jackson most likely on the board still. Collins would give this team nothing for than mediocore depth since if we do not sign a FA OT then Jon Scott will be the starter

WMD
03-03-2008, 11:55 PM
A

B

C

Draft C is the best.

Iamcanadian
03-04-2008, 04:46 AM
A

B

C

Interesting choices with #3 my favourite however, Smith looks more like a round 2 guy after running a decent 40 at the combine. Harvey could possibly be gone by #15.
Looking at (a), Mendenhall probably gone by #15, Nicks won't be on the board by our 2nd round pick, he could even go round 1.
Looking at (b) makes me sick. No way is Cherilous value at #15 and Rice at #2 for our starter gives me a chill.
If Millen got (c) I'd be shocked but pleased.

Bootland27
03-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Mock #1
1st Jeff Otah, OT Pittsburgh
2nd Red Bryant, DT Texas A&M
3rd Jonathan Goff, ILB Vanderbilt
3rd Tashard Choice, RB Georgia Tech

Mock #2
1st Jonathan Stewart, RB Oregon
2nd Curtis Lofton, ILB Oklahoma
3rd Patrick Lee, CB Auburn
3rd Frank Okam, DT Texas

Mock #3
1st Dan Connor, ILB Penn State
2nd Anthony Collins, OT Kansas
3rd Matt Forte, RB Tulane
3rd Chevis Jackson, CB LSU

Addict
03-04-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm having trouble finding a good OT guy for the third round pick, so I'll just copy the Anthony Collins kid, but keep in mind I'm clueless.

1. Rashard Mendenhall (I don't care if it's stupid, I WANT HIM)
2. Brandon Flowers (flowers-bodden sounds good to me)
3. Anthony Collins (line.... nuff said)
3. Erin Henderson (I think his poor forty drops him THAT far)

We just don't have enough picks to fill holes at DT and DE :'( I'm sorry! The loss of woody and the (albeit expected) rogers trade threw me off.

detroit4life
03-04-2008, 04:59 PM
I Think we will fill our need at OT and DT in FA...sounds like darby is a good possibility at DT and L.J. Smith was here today and i believe he was in last week as well. If we were tro fill those needs my draft would go:
1. Harvey
2. Mayo
3. Chevis Jackson (or BA CB for cover 2)
3. BA RB

TacticaLion
03-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Now that we've basically filled our CB needs (at least, for now), Tom K listed the 4 positions of concern:--- Right tackle. The Lions re-signed George Foster and they believe he'll do better in Jim Colletto's system than Mike Martz's, but he's not the answer to their right tackle problems. There are a couple of candidates available in the first and second round and the Lions -- who haven't drafted an offensive linemen in the top three rounds since 2001 -- will likely go in that direction at some point.

--- Middle linebacker. The Lions want a veteran free agent to man the middle going into this season but they're still looking for a young player who will be the long-term answer. The middle position is very complex in the Tampa Two and the coaching staff doesn't want to saddle all of that responsibility on a rookie. With Jonathan Vilma and Dan Morgan already signed -- and Al Wilson's injury issue a real question mark -- the Lions might not have much choice.

--- Running back. Even if the Lions sign a free agent running back, there are strong indications they're going to draft a runner relatively high.

--- Defensive end. With Kalimba Edwards expected to leave the team before the start of training camp, the Lions need to replenish that spot. They need a true pass rusher and it's tough enough to find that kind of talent with the fifth overall pick, much less the 15th. Still, the Lions need to find a player who can develop into a pass-rushing threat.We've got 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. If you were to use each of those picks on the positions listed above, what would your draft look like?

Draft
1: Harvey
2: Mayo
3a: Matt Forte (or best available RB)
3b: Oniel Cousins (or best available OT)

Go Blue
03-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Im not sure why but Im not a huge fan of Harvey's. I like Mayo in the second. But I would rather see Kevin Smith with the 3a pick if he is still there. I think he has alot of potential. Of course just my uneducated 2 cents.

TacticaLion
03-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Im not sure why but Im not a huge fan of Harvey's. I like Mayo in the second. But I would rather see Kevin Smith with the 3a pick if he is still there. I think he has alot of potential. Of course just my uneducated 2 cents.

Yeah. I've never wanted to draft Harvey... but, if I had to address those 4 positions with our first 4 picks, I think that's the most complete mock.

If we weren't going to address DE, I'd probably go RB in round 1.

Go Blue
03-08-2008, 09:10 PM
What about this one?

1. Rashard Mendenhall, Illionois
2. Quentin Groves, Auburn
3a. Best OT available
3b. Johnathan Goff, Vanderbilt

TacticaLion
03-08-2008, 09:29 PM
What about this one?

1. Rashard Mendenhall, Illionois
2. Quentin Groves, Auburn
3a. Best OT available
3b. Johnathan Goff, Vanderbilt

I wont take Groves. He doesn't have the motor or drive to perform consistently.

If I went DE past round 1, I'd probably look for Cliff Avril.

Iamcanadian
03-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks to Millen, the Lions have so many holes, it is almost impossible to tell which direction he will go. I don't think anybody can even make a guess on who Millen will draft. Harvey and Mendenhall could easily be gone before we pick.

WMD
03-08-2008, 10:43 PM
1. Chris Williams
2. Jerod Mayo
3a. Jason Jones (or Calais Campbell if he happens to fall this far which is possible after his combine.. or Cliff Avril)
3b. Steve Slaton

Addict
03-09-2008, 09:51 AM
1. Chris Williams
2. Jerod Mayo
3a. Jason Jones (or Calais Campbell if he happens to fall this far which is possible after his combine.. or Cliff Avril)
3b. Steve Slaton

You misspelled Mendenhall

Scotty D
03-09-2008, 04:50 PM
1. Chris Williams
2. Jerod Mayo
3b. Steve Slaton

This one would be very solid. Basically we have four positions of major need. RT, DE, MLB, RB and you have to figure where we get the best value for each one.

TacticaLion
03-09-2008, 06:04 PM
I've changed my mind today:

1. Mendenhall
2. Mayo
3a. Best OT Available
3b. Best DE Available

We need a solid running game... we really do. Without one, our passing game will suffer and our defense will suffer. If Stanton is the answer (which I hope he is), drafting a great RB will have a bigger impact for him than drafting a 1st round OT.

I honestly believe that.

detroit4life
03-09-2008, 06:40 PM
i think theres enough quality backs in FA that it would be more beneficial to us to build a line before we bring in a new RB. Plus we have KJ and if he's healthy he can be the solution for us this year. I think we should build the line before we start looking at whose going to be behind it

Bootland27
03-09-2008, 06:51 PM
I've been thinking that we should solidify the OL instead of a stud RB. If Jake Long slips to #4 or 5, why not trade a 2nd this year and another 2nd next year to move up and grab him.

I guess we'll have to do the best we can by using the 2 3rds. We may not be able to address some positions, but it'll take more than one offseason to fill every hole.

TacticaLion
03-09-2008, 07:11 PM
i think theres enough quality backs in FA that it would be more beneficial to us to build a line before we bring in a new RB. Plus we have KJ and if he's healthy he can be the solution for us this year. I think we should build the line before we start looking at whose going to be behind it

Yeah... I was thinking that before too. The only difference is I've moved from wanting a "quality back" to wanting a complete stud. Although we could sign (or draft) a "quality back" a dominant game changer could do wonders for our offense.

If Mendenhall is that player, I think we should take him.

Go Blue
03-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Yeah... I was thinking that before too. The only difference is I've moved from wanting a "quality back" to wanting a complete stud. Although we could sign (or draft) a "quality back" a dominant game changer could do wonders for our offense.

If Mendenhall is that player, I think we should take him.Thank you. That is what I was trying to get at last night when we talked about him. lol

WMD
03-09-2008, 07:32 PM
A good OT would help us out more than a RB would.. What good is a RB if he doesn't have any holes to run through? Who will protect for the QB? Jon Scott (eh?), or George Foster (no.. just..... no.. really... no)

Bootland27
03-09-2008, 07:41 PM
A good OT would help us out more than a RB would.. What good is a RB if he doesn't have any holes to run through? Who will protect for the QB? Jon Scott (eh?), or George Foster (no.. just..... no.. really... no)

exactly....my very same reasoning behind advocating the move up to get Jake Long.

WMD
03-09-2008, 07:45 PM
exactly....my very same reasoning behind advocating the move up to get Jake Long.

I don't think Jake Long is elite enough to warrant ignoring other major needs so we can move up to get him.

TacticaLion
03-09-2008, 07:48 PM
A good OT would help us out more than a RB would.. What good is a RB if he doesn't have any holes to run through? Who will protect for the QB? Jon Scott (eh?), or George Foster (no.. just..... no.. really... no)Our OLine isn't horrible. Sure, Foster likes to jump offsides and can struggle in pass protection, but he's not a completely horrible player. Some players need holes to run through, while others can create holes themselves.

I'd rather take Mendenhall in round 1 (stud RB) and draft an OT in round 3 (solid OT) than take Clady/Otah in round 1 (stud OT) and draft Rice/Hart in round 3 (solid RB).

asmitty45
03-09-2008, 08:00 PM
A
1. Jon Stewart
2. Mayo
3a. Best OT available (Hills?)
3b. Best CB Available (Lee please)

- This draft would make me cry. I think stewart is going to be a perenial pro bowler, an overall stud. Mayo would be a perfect fit for us in the middle and if we dont take an OLB we can move Lenon back to strongside. If hills is there i think we should take him, and Lee probably wont be there but would be a good get.

B
1. Rivers
2. Mayo
3a. Best OT
3b. Best CB

-Since we've changed so much in the secondary it makes those needs fall a bit in my book, this draft would make sense because we can totally overhaul our LB corps with two young guys that can learn on the job from ESims.

C
1. DCR
2. Mayo
3. Rice
3b. OL

-DCR looks to be the real deal and if we are in fact going to draft a CB high he would be the one id take, Rice in the third would give us a power runner we havent had in a while.

Common Theme, I want Mayo on my lions draft please.

WMD
03-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Our OLine isn't horrible. Sure, Foster likes to jump offsides and can struggle in pass protection, but he's not a completely horrible player. Some players need holes to run through, while others can create holes themselves.

What did George Foster do last year that showed he wasn't completely horrible?

and what magical running back can create holes for himself??

Scotty D
03-09-2008, 09:22 PM
If we don't get a runningback in round one I want Ray Rice.

detroit4life
03-09-2008, 09:57 PM

If Mendenhall is that player, I think we should take him.

a great RB cannot be dominant behind a bad line. But a decent RB can be very good behind a good line. Its smarter to build the line before you put your future behind it. Since Millen has been here he has taken your approach in building this team. He took the WRs the QB the RB but he didnt build the line and thats why some of those skill players have failed. We have the makings of an explosive offense right now but you cant be explosive with a bad line. Build the line then take the RB

TacticaLion
03-09-2008, 10:02 PM
a great RB cannot be dominant behind a bad line. But a decent RB can be very good behind a good line. Its smarter to build the line before you put your future behind it. Since Millen has been here he has taken your approach in building this team. He took the WRs the QB the RB but he didnt build the line and thats why some of those skill players have failed. We have the makings of an explosive offense right now but you cant be explosive with a bad line. Build the line then take the RB

In the same breath, an incredible RB can be great behind a decent OLine.

I'm not saying "ignore the OLine"... I just don't want to spend a 1st round pick there. I'd rather spend a 1st on a RB and a 2nd or 3rd on a solid OT.

Yeah, Millen tried to take the RB, but Jones isn't the dominant player I'm talking about. Could AD run well behind our OLine? I think he could.

Brothgar
03-09-2008, 10:09 PM
What did George Foster do last year that showed he wasn't completely horrible?

and what magical running back can create holes for himself??

Hmm... I think I can think of 2 names maybe in NFL history. Barry Sanders, LT.

detroit4life
03-09-2008, 10:36 PM

I'm not saying "ignore the OLine"... I just don't want to spend a 1st round pick there. I'd rather spend a 1st on a RB and a 2nd or 3rd on a solid OT.

Yeah, Millen tried to take the RB, but Jones isn't the dominant player I'm talking about. Could AD run well behind our OLine? I think he could.

sure you could probably have a good running game with a bad line and a good back. Sure AD could run behind our line. But when we have the talent that we do at WR the oline is what helps our offense the most not the great RB.

Brothgar
03-09-2008, 10:46 PM

I say O-Line 1st lets face facts here we aren't going to get a good OT past the 1st Round. Maybe Sam Baker falls to us in the 2nd. But that is it in my estimation. We could get a good RB in the 4th if we had to. Hell Mike Hart is could easily be our compensation pick in round 6 or 7. Just think of it this way who is more likely to be traded or cut? A franchise OT or a Franchise RB? Franchise OTs can last 13 years franchise RBs last 8 at most.

Bootland27
03-09-2008, 10:55 PM
False start Foster isn't the answer at RT. I'd rather bring back Aaron Gibson to start for us at RT.

Seriously, I think we need a good RT in the draft. Having a good OL left-right allows you to stick mediocre RBs and make them look effective as well as make your other skill players better.

jbombul
03-13-2008, 11:48 PM
1st round-chris williams
2nd round- jerrod mayo
3rd round-cason (if hes still there), or chevis jackson
3rd round- kevin smith

it takes care of OL, MLB, CB, AND RB. i would guess Millen trades back into the second or third and takes a speedy pass rusher and we draft an outside linebacker later in the draft, other than that its pretty solid

Scotty D
03-14-2008, 12:21 AM
1st round-chris williams
2nd round- jerrod mayo
3rd round-cason (if hes still there), or chevis jackson
3rd round- kevin smith

it takes care of OL, MLB, CB, AND RB. i would guess Millen trades back into the second or third and takes a speedy pass rusher and we draft an outside linebacker later in the draft, other than that its pretty solid

CB has been pushed down the list of needs. We can't wait until the last of the third round to get a RB, not with the roster right now.

Brothgar
03-14-2008, 12:27 AM
A.

1st Round Chris Williams LT (Move Backus to the right)
2nd Round Chris Johnson (If he's there at 14th pick in the 2nd big steal)
3and Round Johnathan Goff (MLB starter although I'm all for waiting another year for one of those top 2 but he works out just fine)
3bnd Round Roy Schuening OG

too lazy for B and C right now.

TacticaLion
03-14-2008, 12:32 AM
A.

1st Round Chris Williams LT (Move Backus to the right)
2nd Round Chris Johnson (If he's there at 14th pick in the 2nd big steal)
3and Round Johnathan Goff (MLB starter although I'm all for waiting another year for one of those top 2 but he works out just fine)
3bnd Round Roy Schuening OG

too lazy for B and C right now.

That's a good strategy.

Geo
03-14-2008, 12:34 AM
If we don't get a runningback in round one I want Ray Rice.
zomg it's a fusion of Scotty D and scottyboy! :)

But Rice would be great for the Lions if they don't go RB in the 1st round.

Honestly, my thoughts on #16 are well known, but I also don't think the Lions go OL in the 2nd round either. My gut tells me Millen fills the hole at MLB in the 2nd round, my guess being Jerod Mayo of Tennesee. Can't say I paid much attention to him this past year, but he seems like a good candidate to fill the demands of MIKE for this defensive scheme (which are different demands from other schemes, where thumpers can play). And it wouldn't surprise me if the Lions traded up to make sure they got their guy, similar to how the Bills and Jets traded up to get Posluszny and Dave Harris respectively last year.

Seems jbombul thinks they go Mayo in the 2nd too. How do you guys feel about that?

TacticaLion
03-14-2008, 12:36 AM
zomg it's a fusion of Scotty D and scottyboy! :)

But Rice would be great for the Lions if they don't go RB in the 1st round.

Honestly, my thoughts on #16 are well known, but I also don't think the Lions go OL in the 2nd round either. My gut tells me Millen fills the hole at MLB in the 2nd round, my guess being Jerod Mayo of Tennesee. Can't say I paid much attention to him this past year, but he seems like a good candidate to fill the demands of MIKE for this defensive scheme (which are different demands from other schemes, where thumpers can play). And it wouldn't surprise me if the Lions traded up to make sure they got their guy, similar to how the Bills and Jets traded up to get Posluszny and Dave Harris respectively last year.

Seems jbombul thinks they go Mayo in the 2nd too. How do you guys feel about that?
I'd love Mayo in round 2... but it all depends on who we take in round 1. RB? OT? DE? CB?

God... too many holes.

Jagonsucker
04-09-2008, 12:04 AM
I found this from another forum..but it looks pretty good and i'd be very happy if we got something like this:

1.Derrick Harvey DE 6'4" 271 FLORIDA.

2.Curtis Lofton ILB 6'0" 246 OKLAHOMA.

3.Carl Nicks OT 6'4" 341 NEBRASKA.

3.Chris Johnson RB 5'11" 197 EAST CAROLINA.

4.Shawn Crable OLB 6'4" 245 MICHIGAN.

DoWnThEfiElD
04-09-2008, 11:23 AM
I could live with this, I really wouldn't mind taking a corner in our 1st 3 picks either.

Brothgar
04-09-2008, 12:05 PM
I found this from another forum..but it looks pretty good and i'd be very happy if we got something like this:

Ha I saw this draft. The first thing I thought was "How the hell do we get Chris Johnson in the 3rd round? Let alone the 22nd pick in the 3rd." I would likely cream myself if this draft was a reality (Although Crable at least I thought was more of a 3-4 OLB) This means we get 4 starters through the draft. 4 STARTERS! Can you remember the last time we had 4 starters come out of the draft? Me either.

SINCE1978
04-09-2008, 12:30 PM

This would rock if these fellas fell and Millen wore a wizard hat on draft day ;o) I do not see Nicks or Johnson still around in these spots, but what if ...

1. Jeff Otah Beast!/Pitt
2. Lawerence Jackson DE/USC
3a. Matt Forte RB/Tulane
3b. Phillip Wheeler ILB/Ga. Tech
4. Demario Pressley DT/N.C. State
5. Kellen Davis TE/MSU
6. Jordan Dizon OLB/Colorado
7. Brandon Coutu K/Georgia

DoWnThEfiElD
04-09-2008, 12:43 PM
This would rock if these fellas fell and Millen wore a wizard hat on draft day ;o) I do not see Nicks or Johnson still around in these spots, but what if ...

1. Jeff Otah Beast!/Pitt
2. Lawerence Jackson DE/USC
3a. Matt Forte RB/Tulane
3b. Phillip Wheeler ILB/Ga. Tech
4. Demario Pressley DT/N.C. State
5. Kellen Davis TE/MSU
6. Jordan Dizon OLB/Colorado
7. Brandon Coutu K/Georgia

I actually think that if you switched Otah for Albert, that would be pretty close to an ideal draft for me.

TacticaLion
04-09-2008, 01:07 PM
The original draft would be outstanding... definitely an A grade. Lofton and Sims would form a great LB group, we'd add a stud, pass-rushing DE to our DLine, an explosive RB, a solid OT and... well... Crable.

Where do I sign up?

P-L
04-09-2008, 05:50 PM
I would love a draft like that, but it is completely unrealistic.

asmitty45
04-09-2008, 08:13 PM
I would live with it, but I'd rather take a RB higher than Johnson, but outside of that i actually like it a lot

detroit4life
04-09-2008, 09:50 PM
i like it but i think crable is a wasted pick. He wouldprobably be a DE for us as i dont think he could be a quality OLB which makes him a project. And since we have IAF as a project and we already added Harvey there doesnt seem to be much room for him unless you think he could be a good OLB

Little_Henry
04-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Millen truly believes that he can patch a bunch of bums together and come up with a serviceable line to get them through the season. I like both Albert and Williams. I think if Detroit does go OL in the 1st and both these guys are there, they would take Williams. I don't think they will go OL.

I think their targets in the 1st will be the following. They'll take which ever one is highest on the list and available:

1. Derrick Harvey
2. Keith Rivers
3. Jerod Mayo

In the 2nd round, they will probably stay on the defensive side of the ball. If they land Harvey in the 1st, look for a LB like Tavares Gooden or Jordan Dizon. If they go LB in the 1st, I like a DE like Lawrence Jackson. I also like DT Pat Sims, but he will probably be off the board.

My feeling is, the Lions will keep all their picks this year. I think it would be more likely that they would trade down at some point for additional picks, since they have so many needs. With two picks in the 3rd, I would look for a RB for one of the picks and either a DT or OL with the 2nd. Personally, I like Matt Forte out of Tulane or Kevin Smith from Central Florida. That would give them a bigger back to pair with Bell.

Detroit will probably target another LB later in the draft along with OL and maybe a CB. Just my opinion.

The Legend
04-11-2008, 10:00 AM
i dont know if they will even make it to you guys

Brothgar
04-11-2008, 11:07 AM
i dont know if they will even make it to you guys

Exactly I mean I have Chris Johnson going in the 1st round (28 Dallas) and Carl Nicks going in the 2nd round. but that's only me

jollyninja
04-11-2008, 03:15 PM
If those guys are there, they are the perfect picks but I see it ending more like this if we draft those positions at those picks.

Rd1: Harvey
Rd2: Lofton
Rd3: John Greco
Rd3b: Tashard Choice

Like I said, If those guys are there, your draft is perfect, I just can't see either of your third round picks making it there.

casskid
04-12-2008, 12:27 PM
So Crable would play OLB in the Lions scheme then? I know he really doesnt fit the tampa 2 as a OLB, but people have been talking about drafting him as a end. If you draft him as a end then it doesnt make sense to spend the first pick on Harvey. Crable would be a pure pass rusher if hes moved to DE.

If Crable is drafted to play OLB, I would rather they drafted a CB or DT that does fit the system. Crable is a good talent, but I dont really seem him as a OLB for us, and to draft him as a DE would be a bit redundant with the Harvey pick in the first.

Geo
04-14-2008, 01:56 AM
Share your 2008 mock drafts and the like for the Lions here!

Iamcanadian
04-14-2008, 09:05 AM
My mock:

Scenario A
1) Mendenhall RB- without a stud at RB, our offense which Marinelli hopes can pound the ball using Roy and Johnson as weapons to open up the running lanes, will be a no go. With a RB of Mendenhall's talents, Kitna would become an effective game manager who could use Roy and Johnson every time teams tried to stuff the box to stop Mendenhall. Our offense could easily rank near the top of the league.
2) Flowers CB- no MLB that fits the Cover 2 defense is worth a 2nd rounder by the time we draft in round 2. Flowers is almost a perfect Cover 2 CB and would be a star in our system. Mayo and Loften will be long gone dreams.
3) An OLmen who can play OG or OT and who can be an excellent run blocker.

Scenario B
(1) Harvey DE - Our defense will really never be much of anything until we improve our pass rush. A stud at DE would really open things up for Redding and White as pass rushers as they would never face double teams.
2) Ray Rice RB - solid RB for the style Marinelli is looking for. Johnson is a straight line speedster much like Reggie Bush but without the wiggle, who could never be used to pound the ball like Marinelli wants to do.
3) BPA at either LB, OL or CB.

Scenario C
1) Mayo - would solve a lingering vacancy at MLB
2) Ray Rice - see above
3) BPA DE, OL or CB

Take your choice folks but forget OL, there are just so many positions you can fill in one draft especially with Millen pulling the trigger. We won't be passing the ball a whole lot which really suits the makeup of our current OL so sacks will drop significantly just by a change in style. If Martz was still our OC, then OL would have more importance.
Forget Chris Johnson, he doesn't suit our current needs for a RB, he will fit best with a team that wants to pass the ball rather than run it.
Cable might actually suit a Cover 2 team at DE strictly as a pass rusher. However, his legs resemble thin pretzels so his run defense will be very weak and he may have to be used situationally on passing downs.
Forte RB, is a decent prospect but I just don't believe he has Rice's potential to start and star.

Brothgar
04-14-2008, 10:26 AM
If those guys are there, they are the perfect picks but I see it ending more like this if we draft those positions at those picks.

Rd1: Harvey
Rd2: Lofton
Rd3: John Greco
Rd3b: Tashard Choice

Like I said, If those guys are there, your draft is perfect, I just can't see either of your third round picks making it there.

Who is John Greco?

Geo
04-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Who is John Greco?
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/og/johngreco.html

Addict
04-14-2008, 02:32 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/og/johngreco.html

those draftguys vids are nice... except they seem to only have shrine game material...

Brothgar
04-14-2008, 02:42 PM
those draftguys vids are nice... except they seem to only have shrine game material...

True but they do have later round guys. Which I like I've seen more than enough tape on the big names.

detroit4life
04-14-2008, 07:28 PM
1. Mayo
2, Groves
3a. Forte
3b. BA OL

Gives us our LB help, a great pass rusher even though it may be a situational pass rusher, a big RB to team up with bell, and provides OL help.

(i was close to adding BPA at OL or CB since i think either would be a good choice)

Bootland27
04-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Round 1 #15 Derrick Harvey, DE - Florida
The defense will only be as good as their ability to rush the passer. Without Rogers we lose the penetration from the inside, but taking Harvey here will give us a better pass rush from the outside.

***Detroit trades #45 to the Jaguars for picks #58 and #89***

Round 2 #58 Matt Forte, RB - Tulane
A tremendously well-rounded back, possessing speed, size, vision and hands. Forms a good duo with Tatum Bell.

Round 3 #76 John Greco, OT - Toledo
A nasty, athletic team leader who opened some eyes at the combine. Greco anchored a dominant Toledo line for two years at the left side. Would start at RT immediately.

Round 3 #87 Jo-Lonn Dunbar, ILB - Boston College
Most people may not have heard of Jo-Lonn Dunbar (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jo-lonn-dunbar?id=224), but he's a sleeper prospect on the rise, who has the ability to step in and start very early. His work ethic is off the charts, always seems to be around the action and has a good feel for zone coverage.

Round 3 #89 Chevis Jackson, CB - LSU
Won't be a stud shutdown corner, but will be effective in our cover-2. Provides more depth at corner.

Round 4 #111 Andre Fluellen, DT - Florida State
Fluellen will come here and rotate along with Chuck Darby at the NT to replace Shaun Rogers. He shows the quick first step to be a disruptor from the inside

Round 5 #144 Ezra Butler, OLB - Nevada
Possesses good size and is at his best on the attack. Eventual replacement for Paris Lenon at the SLB.

wingboy2999
04-16-2008, 11:22 AM
I like this mock above. Cool.

Brothgar
04-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Round 1 #15 Derrick Harvey, DE - Florida
The defense will only be as good as their ability to rush the passer. Without Rogers we lose the penetration from the inside, but taking Harvey here will give us a better pass rush from the outside.

Round 2 #58 Matt Forte, RB - Tulane
A tremendously well-rounded back, possessing speed, size, vision and hands. Forms a good duo with Tatum Bell.

Round 3 #76 John Greco, OT - Toledo
A nasty, athletic team leader who opened some eyes at the combine. Greco anchored a dominant Toledo line for two years at the left side. Would start at RT immediately.

Round 3 #87 Jo-Lonn Dunbar, ILB - Boston College
Most people may not have heard of Jo-Lonn Dunbar (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jo-lonn-dunbar?id=224), but he's a sleeper prospect on the rise, who has the ability to step in and start very early. His work ethic is off the charts, always seems to be around the action and has a good feel for zone coverage.

Round 3 #89 Chevis Jackson, CB - LSU
Won't be a stud shutdown corner, but will be effective in our cover-2. Provides more depth at corner.

Round 4 #111 Andre Fluellen, DT - Florida State
Fluellen will come here and rotate along with Chuck Darby at the NT to replace Shaun Rogers. He shows the quick first step to be a disruptor from the inside

Round 5 #144 Ezra Butler, OLB - Nevada
Possesses good size and is at his best on the attack. Eventual replacement for Paris Lenon at the SLB.

I like alot of what you did here specially of what positions picked in which rounds it makes the most sense.

Round 1: Derrick Harvey - Love the pick you had here and I agree with it if we are getting a DE in this draft it pretty much has to be in the first round otherwise might as well forget it.

Love the trade if we can pull it off. I'm not too sure who the Jags would trade up for but I'd take it.

Round 2: Chris Johnson (if available) - Yes we have had this debate before. More than likely I'm wrong and they do take a Matt Forte or a Kevin Smith. But we all know my man crush on Johnson and I fully believe he is what this team needs. But I agree that the best value will be in RB at this point in the 2nd round

Round 3 a : Jon Greco OG/OT - I like it I went from not knowing who the hell he was to thinking he was the right choice.

Round 3 b : I still Like Johnathan Goff here and either way they will only be a stop gap till next season when we can grab a first round ILB Laurenitis or Maguliuh (neither is spelled correctly)

Round 3 c: I love your pick of Chevis Jackson and I steal it.

Round 4: I prefer Frank Okam here I think he is horribly under rated by everyone generally when a 1st round guy falls to the 4th it is either due to injury or it is a mistake. I think in this case it is the later.

Round 5: I want some opinions on Bryan Kehl or Ali Highsmith will they be gone? I'd take either of those two before Ezra Butler.

Geo
04-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Frank Okam doesn't fit the defensive scheme, I'm surprised you would want to see another overweight guy with a lacking motor again. The defense is built on one-gap penetration and attacking the opposing offense, beating them into submission.

btw, I really like that mock for the Lions, bootland. Although I'm wondering who the Jags would trade up for.

Brothgar
04-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Frank Okam doesn't fit the defensive scheme, I'm surprised you would want to see another overweight guy with a lacking motor again. The defense is built on one-gap penetration and attacking the opposing offense, beating them into submission.

btw, I really like that mock for the Lions, bootland. Although I'm wondering who the Jags would trade up for.

I think Okam can be Dominant in any scheme. If Okam can start out with Marinelli he may get more respect from the massive big man. You traded Shaun Rogers for a top CB and a 3rd round pick I wouldn't call Rogers a failure. Just because one guy doesn't make it doesn't mean the same will happen with Okam. If he falls to the 4th he will have a chip on his shoulder and he will be a great player.

Bootland27
04-16-2008, 08:44 PM

Well, Assuming they take Merling in the 1st, they may trade up for a DT like Trevor Laws or Pat Sims. Remember, they also have an extra 3rd (acquired from Marcus Stroud trade)

Bootland27
04-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I think Okam can be Dominant in any scheme. If Okam can start out with Marinelli he may get more respect from the massive big man. You traded Shaun Rogers for a top CB and a 3rd round pick I wouldn't call Rogers a failure. Just because one guy doesn't make it doesn't mean the same will happen with Okam. If he falls to the 4th he will have a chip on his shoulder and he will be a great player.

Getting rid of Rogers and bringing in Okam will damage his credibility. I just don't see it happening.

Brothgar
04-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Getting rid of Rogers and bringing in Okam will damage his credibility. I just don't see it happening.

You are probobly right but I highly doubt that Matt Millen is too concerned about his credibility considering he pretty much lost all credibility already by drafting 4 WRs in the first round out of 5 years. Plus trading a player for a 3rd and a CB then going into the draft and drafting essentially the same player (note Okam won't be as good as Rogers instantly but could be in a few years) and if he doesn't then its just business as usual with Millen. It's not like he ever has gotten a 4th round pick right thus far.

J-Hype
04-18-2008, 08:51 PM
1.Jeord Mayo ILB
2.Ray Rice/Steve Slaton RB's
3.Phillip Merlin DE
3. Frank Okam DT
4.Owen Schmit FB/TE

Brothgar
04-19-2008, 02:25 AM
1.Jeord Mayo ILB
3.Phillip Merlin DE
3. Frank Okam DT
4.Owen Schmit FB/TE

Very sexy I like

Unbiased
04-19-2008, 02:28 AM
1.Jeord Mayo ILB
3.Phillip Merlin DE
3. Frank Okam DT
4.Owen Schmit FB/TE

Can't see Merling falling to the 3rd round. He's a probably 1st rounder at this point.

J-Hype
04-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Can't see Merling falling to the 3rd round. He's a probably 1st rounder at this point.

yeah but according to scotts mock i didnt see him any where so he could fall their

Unbiased
04-20-2008, 02:40 AM
yeah but according to scotts mock i didnt see him any where so he could fall their

He's #17 overall.

J-Hype
04-20-2008, 12:33 PM
He's #17 overall.

whoops sorry i thought i didnt see him i thought he was suppose to go in the 1st round somewhere

jbombul
04-21-2008, 09:27 AM
heres my mock for detroit, i really like it and i feel it takes care of alot of needs.

1st- derek harvey
2nd-ray rice
3rd(a)- tavares gooden
3rd (b)- john greco
4th- kellen davis
5th- cb/kick return prospect

woodnick
04-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Kiper's latest mock has us drafting: 1)Mendenhall; 2)Caalas Campbell; 3)Lofton; 3)Terrell Thomas; 4)John Greco

Not bad at all, though I'm not completely sold on Campbell developing into a pass rushing DE, I'd take it.

Brothgar
04-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Kiper's latest mock has us drafting: 1)Mendenhall; 2)Caalas Campbell; 3)Lofton; 3)Terrell Thomas; 4)John Greco

Not bad at all, though I'm not completely sold on Campbell developing into a pass rushing DE, I'd take it.

Wow I know two people who would be very happy with that mock.

wingboy2999
04-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Wow I know two people who would be very happy with that mock.

WMD and Adict are humping right now. That is why they aren't responding.

detroit4life
04-21-2008, 10:43 PM

Im not a big fan of mendenhall in the first but if this played out i wouldnt mind it all that much. We adress all our needs and add a great RB

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 12:22 AM
I can only hope for Lofton in the 3rd. But I don't see that happening.

WMD
04-22-2008, 01:34 AM

That's the kind of draft Millen has to make happen if he wants a nightly rusty trombone from yours truly. I'd MUCH rather have Anthony Collins with that second Round 3 pick, and then take DT Andre Fluellen in Round 4.. but I love our first three picks.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-22-2008, 09:25 AM
My one and only mock based on Gil Brandts tier system, Brandt is the most accurate guy out there so I went by that.

Pick 15 Jared Mayo. Need outweighs the flash of a RB. Mayo was productive on the field and at the combine and fits the Cover 2. Harvey is gone and we have to go defense. Somebody has to be able to cover over the middle and make a tackle besides Sims.

Pick 45: Pat Sims. After thinking about this, we need a replacement for Shaun Rogers. Darby is a nice Marinelli guy and can assume the starting role Week 1 until the rookie is ready but he is not the future at DT. Plus Darby is coming off an injury and a rotation at DT is what good teams usually have. Cody and Langston Moore are terrible and I'd rather not see them on the field at all. Keep Alama-Francis at strongside DE and bring in Sims.

Pick 76: Matt Forte. Mancrush

Pick 87: Anthony Collins Good competition for Jonathan Scott/Foster.

Round 3 Pick 91 (trade Pick 111 and Pick 144): Chris Ellis DE. Compares to Simeon Rice in the NFL analysis. Thats all I need to see.

Pick 176: Dorien Bryant. We need a KR and 5th WR.

Pick 216: Simeon Castille CB.

TacticaLion
04-22-2008, 03:42 PM
My one and only mock based on Gil Brandts tier system, Brandt is the most accurate guy out there so I went by that.

Pick 15 Jared Mayo. Need outweighs the flash of a RB. Mayo was productive on the field and at the combine and fits the Cover 2. Harvey is gone and we have to go defense. Somebody has to be able to cover over the middle and make a tackle besides Sims.

Pick 45: Pat Sims. After thinking about this, we need a replacement for Shaun Rogers. Darby is a nice Marinelli guy and can assume the starting role Week 1 until the rookie is ready but he is not the future at DT. Plus Darby is coming off an injury and a rotation at DT is what good teams usually have. Cody and Langston Moore are terrible and I'd rather not see them on the field at all. Keep Alama-Francis at strongside DE and bring in Sims.

Round 3 Pick 91 (trade Pick 111 and Pick 144): Chris Ellis DE. Compares to Simeon Rice in the NFL analysis. Thats all I need to see.

I actually like this mock a lot. Ellis is the type of mid round DE that could make a big impact in passing situations, although I'm not sure Marinelli would take him (character concerns).

Grade: A.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-22-2008, 04:00 PM
I like from what I read regarding Ellis. Do all VaTech players have character concerns.

It looks like we brought in Anthony Collins for a visit and I know we are high on Forte and Mayo. Pat Sims is the questionmark. He may just be a one year wonder but if Marinelli signs off on taking him, I would accept it. Rogers has to be replaced and I think Sims is a start. And if nobody likes Sims, I could see taking a DE at the 45 pick and then a DT like Carlton Powell from VA Tech in Round 4 instead of trading up.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/04/lions_may_wait_on_offensive_tackle.html

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 04:05 PM
I like from what I read regarding Ellis. Do all VaTech players have character concerns.

It looks like we brought in Anthony Collins for a visit and I know we are high on Forte and Mayo. Pat Sims is the questionmark. He may just be a one year wonder but if Marinelli signs off on taking him, I would accept it. Rogers has to be replaced and I think Sims is a start. And if nobody likes Sims, I could see taking a DE at the 45 pick and then a DT like Carlton Powell from VA Tech in Round 4 instead of trading up.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/04/lions_may_wait_on_offensive_tackle.html

Oh look... yet another article saying we are doing yet another direction.

woodnick
04-22-2008, 06:46 PM

Well Mr. CPA, I like the mock especially all the needs you're adressing. I really like picks 45, 76, 87, and 176. I'm not going to lie though, I would love to have those picks and instead of Mayo at 15 we get Chris Williams and #91 we draft Philip wheeler.

Yes I am saying drafting 2, thats right 2, OT so this year we let them compete with Backus and Scott/Foster. I think Foster would be a better OG, Scott could be a depth guy and next yr. we june 1st cut that piece of s*** that is currently our LT.

Hey if Detroit is willing to do it with other former starters and waste cap space, then why not continue the trend of getting rid of over payed non-performing starters. So in turn our Starting 5 OL could look like from L to R Williams, Mulitalo, Raiola, Peterman, Backus w/ backups Scott, Ramirez, and Collins. Then the following yr. we cut Backus and spread our cap hit over 2 yrs., cut Mulitalo and take a 250K cap hit and our OLine would be L to R: Williams, Ramirez, Raiola, Peterman, Collins w/ Scott & Frank Davis backing up among others.

Scotty D
04-24-2008, 10:07 AM
1. Jerod Mayo, MLB - Tenn
2. Duane Brown, OT - Va tech
3. Brian Johnstone, DE - Gardner- Webb
3. Kevin Smith, RB - UCF

1.Derrick Harvey, DE - Florida
2.Matt Forte, RB - Tulane
3.Beau Bell, MLB - UNLV
3.Breno Giacomini,OT/G - Louisville

SINCE1978
04-24-2008, 10:33 AM

I would like that direction of Mayo, Forte, Collins, Sims & Ellis.

I wish Mayo had not gained as much mo' in the last few weeks so we could still grab him at #45 ...

wingboy2999
04-24-2008, 10:36 AM
That's the kind of draft Millen has to make happen if he wants a nightly rusty trombone from yours truly. I'd MUCH rather have Anthony Collins with that second Round 3 pick, and then take DT Andre Fluellen in Round 4.. but I love our first three picks.

How in the hell did I miss this? Criminy...

SINCE1978
04-24-2008, 11:29 AM
How in the hell did I miss this? Criminy...

wingboy, what is your sig?

SINCE1978
04-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Just found this mock (won't steal and take credit for it) on footballexpert.com by Greg Cox ... I like what he's done for the Lion's in this 7 rounder.

http://thefootballexpert.com/coxmockdraft1.html

couple comments:
- Williams OT great story, very smart & athletic, played agaisnt top competition
- Campbell DE Blocks out sun and could domiante if motivated (Marinelli?)
- Adibi OLB speacial teams beast and starter on the other side of Sims in 09
- Goff ILB starts in middle from day 1. Another intellect who will make D calls
(love the LB combo picks in 3rd!)
- Davis TE very athletic, great hands, just okay blocker (upgrade)
- Wilhite CB was overshadowed at Auburn by Lee/Irons etc. could be great
- Powell DT BPA & Darby is not long term answer as the middle plug
- Torrain RB was a beast at ASU until knee injury. Most Lion's fans do not see Pac 10 games but check the kid out, could be steal in rd 7.

Again, every year it appears to me this team is not prepared for the draft so does Millen have the vision to put this together? We'll see ... first mock where every guy is probably available at that spot and fills great holes for us.

What are your thoughts?

wingboy2999
04-24-2008, 02:02 PM
wingboy, what is your sig?

Ummmmm the Burger King as a giant monster fighting some japanese girls? My friend sent it to me like 2-3 years ago and I used it in my first few stints on the board. Back when my original account [10-15,000 posts] was active.

But then it got deleted.

Brothgar
04-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Ummmmm the Burger King as a giant monster fighting some japanese girls? My friend sent it to me like 2-3 years ago and I used it in my first few stints on the board. Back when my original account [10-15,000 posts] was active.

But then it got deleted.

Err that would be you Avatar... :) What is the SSAEL and how can I be cool like you guys?

<<< Avatar

Sig
vvvvvv

wingboy2999
04-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Err that would be you Avatar... :) What is the SSAEL and how can I be cool like you guys?

<<< Avatar

Sig
vvvvvv

Oh.... durrrrrrrr. Whoops.

Iamcanadian
04-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Just found this mock (won't steal and take credit for it) on footballexpert.com by Greg Cox ... I like what he's done for the Lion's in this 7 rounder.

http://thefootballexpert.com/coxmockdraft1.html

couple comments:
- Williams OT great story, very smart & athletic, played agaisnt top competition
- Campbell DE Blocks out sun and could domiante if motivated (Marinelli?)
- Adibi OLB speacial teams beast and starter on the other side of Sims in 09
- Goff ILB starts in middle from day 1. Another intellect who will make D calls
(love the LB combo picks in 3rd!)
- Davis TE very athletic, great hands, just okay blocker (upgrade)
- Wilhite CB was overshadowed at Auburn by Lee/Irons etc. could be great
- Powell DT BPA & Darby is not long term answer as the middle plug
- Torrain RB was a beast at ASU until knee injury. Most Lion's fans do not see Pac 10 games but check the kid out, could be steal in rd 7.

Again, every year it appears to me this team is not prepared for the draft so does Millen have the vision to put this together? We'll see ... first mock where every guy is probably available at that spot and fills great holes for us.

What are your thoughts?

Sorry but I cannot agree. Williams can only be effective as a LT unless you are a zone blocking team. He isn't physical at all and relies on finesse to get the job done. That works some at LT but teams tend in the NFL to run behind their RT and want a physical bruiser at that position not a finesse player.
Campbell is about as far as you can get from a Cover 2 DE. There isn't a Cover 2 DE in the league who weights more than in the 270's range. Cover 2 DE's attack the gaps to penatrate and Campbell's 5.0 40 simply lacks the speed to play that way. He is more of a DT for a Cover 2 package not a DE.
I would seriously question whether or not Adibi will be available in round 3, he is far more likely to be drafted in round 2.
Wilhite doesn't look like a Cover 2 CB at all. His strength is man to man coverage not zone. He also has character reg flags which Marinelli abhors.

Not an impressive draft, shows a lack of knowledge about our HC, and the schemes we play.

Iamcanadian
04-24-2008, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=Maybe Next Year Millen2;1025481]My one and only mock based on Gil Brandts tier system, Brandt is the most accurate guy out there so I went by that.

---We both actually completely agree.

---Could very well be our pick as most of the guys I like will be gone. My only concern would be that DE is a higher priority IMO for a Cover 2 team but maybe we have somebody targeted later in the draft. (Ellis would be solid in round 3)

---Sims is an underachiever who only played hard on occassion his senior year. I'm not sure Marinelli will like a guy who can be lazy. I still believe we'll see Francis start at DT. He's not a Cover 2 DE prospect IMO.

---Certainly what Marinelli is looking for. A tough inside guy to pound the ball with.

---Looks reasonable to me if he lasts this long.

---A great pick IMO.

---Maybe as a KR but we hardly need another WR. I'd perfer more defensive prospects, maybe another CB who can return kicks.

---Solid pickup this late in the draft.

SINCE1978
04-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Sorry but I cannot agree. Williams can only be effective as a LT unless you are a zone blocking team. He isn't physical at all and relies on finesse to get the job done. That works some at LT but teams tend in the NFL to run behind their RT and want a physical bruiser at that position not a finesse player.
Campbell is about as far as you can get from a Cover 2 DE. There isn't a Cover 2 DE in the league who weights more than in the 270's range. Cover 2 DE's attack the gaps to penatrate and Campbell's 5.0 40 simply lacks the speed to play that way. He is more of a DT for a Cover 2 package not a DE.
I would seriously question whether or not Adibi will be available in round 3, he is far more likely to be drafted in round 2.
Wilhite doesn't look like a Cover 2 CB at all. His strength is man to man coverage not zone. He also has character reg flags which Marinelli abhors.

Not an impressive draft, shows a lack of knowledge about our HC, and the schemes we play.

I understand your low opinion of this draft but it's funny to me that you say it lacks knowledge of the schemes .... to me that means not knowing Colletto is having the oline adapting to a new zone blocking scheme for 08.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080409/BLOG21/80408071/1049/SPORTS01

Bottom line if you break down schemes and types of defenses/offenses and take guys who only play that style in college don't you eliminte a HUGE pool of talent?

Besides with the coaching carousel of the Millen era with Mornhinweg to Mariucci to Marinelli w/ Martz & Henderson & now Marinelli w/ Colletto & Barry is any scheme worth drafting a guy for? I mean Backus & Raiola are the only 2 linemen with tenure on this squad and how many different schemes have they been forced to learn since they were drafted? That should not discard a team from taking a talented player especially if he is a freak that flat out can get after the QB like Campbell. IF he's there in rd 2 they should scoop him up and not say "oh, we'll pass b/c he is not a cover 2 DE under 270 that runs a 4.whateva" ...

woodnick
04-24-2008, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=Maybe Next Year Millen2;1025481]My one and only mock based on Gil Brandts tier system, Brandt is the most accurate guy out there so I went by that.

---We both actually completely agree.

---Could very well be our pick as most of the guys I like will be gone. My only concern would be that DE is a higher priority IMO for a Cover 2 team but maybe we have somebody targeted later in the draft. (Ellis would be solid in round 3)

---Sims is an underachiever who only played hard on occassion his senior year. I'm not sure Marinelli will like a guy who can be lazy. I still believe we'll see Francis start at DT. He's not a Cover 2 DE prospect IMO.

---Certainly what Marinelli is looking for. A tough inside guy to pound the ball with.

---Looks reasonable to me if he lasts this long.

---A great pick IMO.

---Maybe as a KR but we hardly need another WR. I'd perfer more defensive prospects, maybe another CB who can return kicks.

---Solid pickup this late in the draft.

I enjoy this draft better than thefootballexpert.com, but by saying we shouldn't draft Williams at 15 because he lacks physicality doesn't adress the thought that Backus would be better off at RT or at OG, which Williams would allow. And then to say that Wilhite wouldnt work because of character concerns. Wilhite may have character concerns, but not nearly as many as Chris Ellis and especially Pat Sims have. The character concerns are why these guys are dropping, so just be consistent with the reasoning and give it a fair shake. It also seems like you wouldnt mind Harvey, but he an a 4.84 in the 40 or something horendous like that, but he did have a decent 10 yd. split which is what really matters for DEs, but still a little consistency would be nice, you're flip-floping more than John Kerry.

SINCE1978
04-24-2008, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=Iamcanadian;1031676]

I enjoy this draft better than thefootballexpert.com, but by saying we shouldn't draft Williams at 15 because he lacks physicality doesn't adress the thought that Backus would be better off at RT or at OG, which Williams would allow. And then to say that Wilhite wouldnt work because of character concerns. Wilhite may have character concerns, but not nearly as many as Chris Ellis and especially Pat Sims have. The character concerns are why these guys are dropping, so just be consistent with the reasoning and give it a fair shake. It also seems like you wouldnt mind Harvey, but he an a 4.84 in the 40 or something horendous like that, but he did have a decent 10 yd. split which is what really matters for DEs, but still a little consistency would be nice, you're flip-floping more than John Kerry.

I just think improving at OT and at linebacker is crucial for this team and Williams, Goff & Adibi bring instant upgrades at every position in the footballexpert.com draft. Collins is okay, but IMO he needed a senior year to refine his skills and the lions have taken too many late round "projects" at Oline that just have not developed/are still developing or are gone. Williams starts day 1 at LT, Backus slides over to RT, Foster could compete at guard with Ramirez, Peterman & Mulatalu and Scott is the tackle back-up. If Torrain does not work out as Bell & Calhoun's back-up this year then next year you get a stud RB in round #1 b/c there are always a handful every year, but only after the line is repaired and they are rock'n! See this is easy stuff Millen ...

woodnick
04-24-2008, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE=woodnick;1032154]

I just think improving at OT and at linebacker is crucial for this team and Williams, Goff & Adibi bring instant upgrades at every position in the footballexpert.com draft. Collins is okay, but IMO he needed a senior year to refine his skills and the lions have taken too many late round "projects" at Oline that just have not developed/are still developing or are gone. Williams starts day 1 at LT, Backus slides over to RT, Foster could compete at guard with Ramirez, Peterman & Mulatalu and Scott is the tackle back-up. If Torrain does not work out as Bell & Calhoun's back-up this year then next year you get a stud RB in round #1 b/c there are always a handful every year, but only after the line is repaired and they are rock'n! See this is easy stuff Millen ...

I'm completely agreeing with ya on the basis of upgrading both OT and LB, but I'd rather grab 2 high rd. OTs than 2 high rd. LBs. Collins might be unrefined, but let him compete for a yr. then give him a spot at RT and june 1st cut Backus in 2009, then in next years draft get a stud at MLB in Maulanga or Lauranitis. The one thing needed in this draft is a bug talented RB, not an injury concern, So I'd like a Kevin Smith or Matt Forte. As for Campbell, I love his upside but he needs the coaching to help him realize such potential and so far, as much as I like Maranelli, our coaching staff has completely failed to develop a good DE so I dont think Campbell would suceed here as well as he should.