PDA

View Full Version : Deadline given to Long by the Fins

Who Dat Nation
04-14-2008, 10:53 AM
SI.com's Peter King reports that the Dolphins have given Jake Long a deadline to agree to a contract that would make him the No. 1 overall pick.
King says Long is the only player Miami has seriously negotiated with so far. If Long lets the deadline pass, the 'Fins are expected to turn their attention to Vernon Gholston. Long is seemingly at very little risk of falling out of the top three, so he has some leverage.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...aspx?sport=NFL

Matthew Jones
04-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Wow, pretty surprising. Nice find.

Geo
04-14-2008, 10:58 AM
The only deadline is the one Jake Long is giving to the Dolphins to draft him, or watch St. Louis jump at drafting him and potentially paying him more. Give me a break, save the posing and having Parcells' little ***** King report it.

BeerBaron
04-14-2008, 10:59 AM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20737&page=4

i already posted it at 11:40 over there....figured no one would notice. just shoulda started a new thread

Who Dat Nation
04-14-2008, 11:06 AM
I never seen it, Baron.

I thought they would start negotiating with Chris Long before Gholston?

Yatta!
04-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Not buying that at all. They'll draft the best player not who they can give the best deal to.

BeerBaron
04-14-2008, 11:13 AM
I never seen it, Baron.

I thought they would start negotiating with Chris Long before Gholston?

its chill dude. i debated for a while whether i should start a new thread or post it there.....i decided there and woops, oh well.

as long as the news got to the board is the important part

and to yatta: the guy they can get for the least amount of money probably IS the best guy in parcells mind....

BeerBaron
04-14-2008, 11:20 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/14/parcells-is-simply-being-parcells/

just an interesting take on it from PFT. i know some people dont like what PFT does for whatever reason, but theyre one of the few media sources that actually touch on matters places like espn seem to ignore.....

anyway, my fav. part of that is how far will jake long fall if the dolphins dont take him.

lets say miami goes gholston....the rams jump on chris long......atlanta maybe, but they seem to be real set on dorsey. i kind of doubt oakland.....but thats possible.....and certainly the chiefs would take him.

so even if the deal the dolphins offer jake isnt great for a #1 overall pick, is it better than a #5 overall pick? i would wager yes.....

ThePudge
04-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Not buying that at all. They'll draft the best player not who they can give the best deal to.

Not always the case. See Mario Williams over Reggie Bush in 2006. It came down to contracts.

Flyboy
04-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Not always the case. See Mario Williams over Reggie Bush in 2006. It came down to contracts.

Bullcrap. It came down to Houston wanting Williams over Bush.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-14-2008, 11:40 AM
so even if the deal the dolphins offer jake isnt great for a #1 overall pick, is it better than a #5 overall pick? i would wager yes.....

Keep in mind that last year #1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell got $61 million over 6 years and #5 overall pick Levi Brown got $62 million over 6 years. I think Long stands to come out of this draft with the largest contract regardless, and if Miami is offering less full value then he shouldn't feel required to take it.

LonghornsLegend
04-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Unless it just means something to him being the #1 pick or playing for Parcells, then I could see him take it...But this is a tad early to decide on a player isnt it? Guess its no big deal since they arent trading the pick, but I like when the suspense is built up all the way until the moment Miami is on the clock.

ChezPower4
04-14-2008, 01:27 PM

Jake Long may not be the best player but he is by far the safest pick and he will probably be the cheapest. I think that Gholston is gonna want a ton of money if he were to be the top pick and the same with Ryan because he is a QB and he will want more than Russell got last year. If i were Parcells i would probably take the cheapest player too.

thebow305
04-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Getting ever so closer to Gholston becoming a 'Phin.....

BoltHype
04-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Does any think this is a smokescreen?

d34ng3l021
04-14-2008, 01:46 PM
I think Jake Long is really the player that they want. They might be using negotiations with other guys to gain some leverage on him, but that is going to be hard. Jake is going to have a hard time dropping out of the top3, let alone top5.

Vernon Gholston could settle for less money than Jake Long though, because his risk of dropping to 6 is alot higher and he would most likely get alot let money.

I am not sure where the past favorite Chris Long fits into this. Many people are predicting a Chris Long fall, so it would seem as if he would accept a good contract.

Flyboy
04-14-2008, 01:47 PM
I doubt Chris Long "falls" past St. Louis.

d34ng3l021
04-14-2008, 01:49 PM
I doubt Chris Long "falls" past St. Louis.

Well we all know they were infatuated with Vernon Gholston. Toonster said they are very interested in Glenn Dorsey now, but that might be the case if Chris Long is gone. I dont know.

I would love a scenario like that to happen though. 1. Jake Long. 2. Chris Long. 3. GLENN DORSEY!

Thunder&Lightning
04-14-2008, 01:49 PM
nice fine man. Interesting cant tell if this is bull or not though...

Flyboy
04-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Well we all know they were infatuated with Vernon Gholston. Toonster said they are very interested in Glenn Dorsey now, but that might be the case if Chris Long is gone. I dont know.

I would love a scenario like that to happen though. 1. Jake Long. 2. Chris Long. 3. GLENN DORSEY!

If Atlanta drafts Glenn Dorsey, I will punch you in the face. More like:

1. Jake Long
2. Chris Long
3. MATT RYAN

Har.

Larry121283
04-14-2008, 02:00 PM
If Chris Long doesn't go #1, I can definitely see him going to #4 with the Raiders.

I just get the idea that the Rams would take Glenn Dorsey or Vernon Gholston (the surprise #2 pick) over Long. Just purely a hunch.

The team really on their heels waiting for the pick is Atlanta, who likes Dorsey a lot, I hear.

thebow305
04-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Does any think this is a smokescreen?

People throw this "smokescreen" thing out there WAY too often.

Stop being so ridiculous.

Flyboy
04-14-2008, 02:45 PM
It's the NFL Draft. ANYTHING can be a smokescreen.

d34ng3l021
04-14-2008, 02:46 PM

1. Jake Long
2. Chris Long
3. MATT RYAN

Har.

Naw. This is whats going to happen. The 2 players Falcon fans want most will go right before them:

1. Jake Long
2. Glenn Dorsey
3. MATT RYAN

Itll be just like last year when Landry and Peterson went before us and we got stuck with Jamaal Anderson.

ThePudge
04-14-2008, 02:51 PM
A smokescreen would be used to lure a team to trade up. If it were a smokescreen Miami would be in contract negiotiations with DT Glenn Dorsey. Those contract talks would be used as the smokescreen to make Atlanta trade up to get their coveted Dorsey. Jake Long is high on everyone's board, but doesn't seem to be the top priority.

St. Louis - Chris Long, Vernon Gholston, Jake Long, Glenn Dorsey
Atlanta - Glenn Dorsey, Jake Long, Matt Ryan
Oakland - Darren McFadden, Vernon Gholston

Probably not a fake, the contract talks are likely for real.

Brothgar
04-14-2008, 03:23 PM
People throw this "smokescreen" thing out there WAY too often.

Stop being so ridiculous.

This seems more legit than your obvious smokescreen generally when you have the first overall pick and you have very little chance of moving down for proper value then there is little reason for you to do the whole smokescreen thing. I see this for what it really is Parcells is trying to get the best deal possible. The Phins have so many needs and there isn't a be all end all #1 pick in fact anyone in the top 7 could be fair game except McFadden. That's what's great about having that #1 pick and a ton of holes to fill.

toonsterwu
04-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Here's the odd thing for me. I think most acknowledge that Parcells is playing games right now. Whether or not you want to label it a smokescreen, that's debatable. But he's playing games.

That said, why would he send out signals like this, which seem to indicate that Jake Long is their top guy, and yet, acknowledge a willingness to pass on the top guy? It seems like a very odd signal to send out in this climate. Granted, everyone understands that he wants a good contract for the Fins, but you don't publically send out such signals.

This makes me wonder if this message, as much as it might be intended for Jake, might've been more intentional in it's efforts to the other parties they are negotiating with, which at this time, seems to be Vernon Gholston. Sort of a "There's X days left, come make a deal now" type manuver. I've still got a hard time buying Gholston that high, with general consensus that he's not in the elite 6 (ryan, long, long, mcfadden, ellis, dorsey), but then again, the on truism in the draft has always been "all it takes is one."

CC.SD
04-14-2008, 03:33 PM
King also wants the Bolts to trade their 1st to Miami for Jason Taylor. Why are we taking this seriously?

Don't get me wrong, I'd trade a second for JT without hesitation. But not a first. Maybe a trade down? I need to take my own advice, King is a windbag.

BeerBaron
04-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Here's the odd thing for me. I think most acknowledge that Parcells is playing games right now. Whether or not you want to label it a smokescreen, that's debatable. But he's playing games.

That said, why would he send out signals like this, which seem to indicate that Jake Long is their top guy, and yet, acknowledge a willingness to pass on the top guy? It seems like a very odd signal to send out in this climate. Granted, everyone understands that he wants a good contract for the Fins, but you don't publically send out such signals.

This makes me wonder if this message, as much as it might be intended for Jake, might've been more intentional in it's efforts to the other parties they are negotiating with, which at this time, seems to be Vernon Gholston. Sort of a "There's X days left, come make a deal now" type manuver. I've still got a hard time buying Gholston that high, with general consensus that he's not in the elite 6 (ryan, long, long, mcfadden, ellis, dorsey), but then again, the on truism in the draft has always been "all it takes is one."

maybe theres a little bit of method to the madness. i dont think it will happen, but parcells could still be holding out hope for a trade.

so instead of locking in on a guy and tempting all of the teams behind him into thinking that THAT guy will be THE guy so anyone that wants him has to trade up, maybe hes taking the "no one is out of the question" approach

they say the most dangerous people are the ones who have nothing left to care about and maybe that logic would terrify a team into moving up a few more spots for a guy that the dolphins might blindly charge after....idk.....

anyway, the dolphins will be making the #1 overall pick this year for what i can tell and i tend to believe these reports. parcells doesnt really have anything to lose....if he realizes no trade up is going to happen, why not do the next best thing for your team and get a contract in place with the guy you want so theres no risk of holdouts and that guy can get accustomed to the team right away

swollja
04-14-2008, 05:43 PM
King also wants the Bolts to trade their 1st to Miami for Jason Taylor. Why are we taking this seriously?

Don't get me wrong, I'd trade a second for JT without hesitation. But not a first. Maybe a trade down? I need to take my own advice, King is a windbag.

as a dolphins fan, i'd be happy with a 2nd for jt

swollja
04-14-2008, 05:45 PM
i just think the overall goal is to get the #1 guy to take less than russel got last year. and it's possible because will that amount be more than whoever they're talking to would get at 2-5? probably. so it's like take it and have the label of being the #1 pick or don't take it and make less money anyway.

Brothgar
04-14-2008, 06:06 PM
That's true Reggie Bush did the same thing.

nobodyinparticular
04-14-2008, 07:08 PM
What happens if the Dolphins don't sign Jake but they sign Gholston? Do the Rams go with Jake Long? Or Chris Long?

BeerBaron
04-14-2008, 07:10 PM
What happens if the Dolphins don't sign Jake but they sign Gholston? Do the Rams go with Jake Long? Or Chris Long?

i would say chris and heres why:

unless theres an injury, he wouldnt be playing LT next year. if you stick him at RT and move barron inside, you have a weakness where barron is since i dont think he fits the G mold at all... stick jake inside and maybe you have something....

but that leaves the d-line very weak. i think they would jump on chris if he were there. also, backup OT's or OT's you can put inside at G until someone gets hurt or retires at OT are available later on

BamaFalcon59
04-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Naw. This is whats going to happen. The 2 players Falcon fans want most will go right before them:

1. Jake Long
2. Glenn Dorsey
3. MATT RYAN

Itll be just like last year when Landry and Peterson went before us and we got stuck with Jamaal Anderson.

Oh, the twinky. Over Adrian Peterson and LaRon Landry. Ugh.

BoltHype
04-15-2008, 04:32 PM

I would say that Jake Long, more than any other player in this draft - including Matt Ryan, give the Fins the most leverage because EVERY team could use Jake Long. Jake can start at either tackle spots as a rookie and make the pro bowl. Every team could use that.

You could argue that Glenn Dorsey, Vernon Gholston, Chris Long, Matt Ryan, and Darren McFadden all need to be in the right situation to be successful. But Jake Long is the safest pick and potentially the most coveted (meaning more teams total have him high on their board than any other player).

diabsoule
04-15-2008, 04:56 PM

1. Jake Long
2. Chris Long
3. MATT RYAN

Har.

I think Atlanta will draft Glenn Dorsey.

Joeyjr09
04-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Keep in mind that last year #1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell got $61 million over 6 years and #5 overall pick Levi Brown got $62 million over 6 years. I think Long stands to come out of this draft with the largest contract regardless, and if Miami is offering less full value then he shouldn't feel required to take it.

dude, none of these guys care about the overall value of the contract. You could give the guy 100 million and it won't mean a thing because the player can be cut at any moment without seeing a dime. If the player pans out, the contract will get re done before he ever sees the back end of the deal. What is important is the guaranteed money the player will get.

Russell got 32 million in guarantees. Levi Brown got 18 million in guarantees.

Come on man, did you really think a OT picked at number 5 overall was gonna get more money then a QB picked at number 1 overall. Russell got a much, much bigger contract. Those 2 deals weren't even in the same ballpark.

Miami isn't offering less then fair value. It's offering what they think he is worth. This draft isn't as good as the top of last years so why should Miami pay him like he is a better prospect then last year's class? Just because every other team does it Miami should do it?

Flyboy
04-20-2008, 06:59 PM
If this true (which no one knows for sure), does anyone know what the actual deadline was for Long to sign?

Geo
04-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Disregard any mention of a deadline imo, Fly. Cute posturing reported by Parcell's fat parrot, nothing more.

For what it's worth, depending on how you feel about the source I suppose:

http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/archives/2008/04/long-long-day-at-the-top.html

Long, Long Day At The Top?
Posted by Tom Curran: Monday, April 21, 2008 10:39 AM

The Dolphins flirtations with Michigan tackle Jake Long over the past few weeks have been well-publicized but this morning, with six days to go before the draft, a league source is indicating that a contract agreement is nearly in place.

Word that Miami initiated talks with Long's agent, Tom Condon, surfaced almost two weeks ago. Condon actually was in South Florida to meet with Dolphins officials. Miami's also made overtures toward Vernon Gholston but little other progress has been mentioned.

Meanwhile, with Jake Long off the board, the St. Louis Rams are a lock to go with defense at No. 2 and, according to the same league source, the camp of Virginia defensive end Chris Long is very confident that's where he'll be headed.