PDA

View Full Version : Rams NFL Draft

KCJ58
02-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Who will the Rams select with the 13th Pick? A DT, LB, S, DE????

NGSeiler
02-26-2007, 05:12 PM
I think their first priority is defensive line. If they don't see a tackle or end they like at that spot, then linebacker or wide receiver are probably next on the radar. I don't see them using a first round pick on a safety at this point.

KCJ58
02-26-2007, 06:23 PM
I think their first priority is defensive line. If they don't see a tackle or end they like at that spot, then linebacker or wide receiver are probably next on the radar. I don't see them using a first round pick on a safety at this point.

not even if Landry is still there?

NGSeiler
02-26-2007, 07:15 PM
not even if Landry is still there?

It depends on what's there on the defensive line. If Adams, Anderson, Branch, and Okoye are all gone, they could look at Landry. I wouldn't rule it out simply because they may take him as the best available player, but my impression is that safety isn't an area they think they really need to address that much.

freebirdsrams02
02-26-2007, 08:04 PM
With all of the DE getting signed in FA it looks like the Rams will have to go for a rush end first and then a LB or WR in the second.

This years Free Agency is going to suck.

edge_V
02-26-2007, 08:20 PM
if landry was there, and we didn't pick him, i would burn something. landry is sick. he most likely won't fall anywhere close to there. If i did the math right...he has 4.67% of falling to us.

NGSeiler
02-26-2007, 08:23 PM
if landry was there, and we didn't pick him, i would burn something. landry is sick. he most likely won't fall anywhere close to there. If i did the math right...he has 4.67% of falling to us.

I don't think you pass on Okoye, Anderson, Adams, or Branch to take Landry though. At least the Rams shouldn't. And this is coming from a guy who really likes Landry and wasn't sold on Atogwe much of the season.

Tom_23
02-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Kelsay jsut signed, who oes that leave other then patrick kerney?

NGSeiler
02-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Kelsay jsut signed, who oes that leave other then patrick kerney?

Jared Allen and James Hall if we want to make a trade. Darrion Scott and Bobby McCray are RFAs. Dewayne White is out there. There are a couple of guys that might be good situationally for us.

aheineken
02-27-2007, 12:27 PM
Here is my Rams realistic board.

1. Anderson
2. Okoye
3. Branch
4. Adams
5. Willis
6. Landry
7. Carriker
8. Meachem

yodabear
02-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Here is my Rams realistic board.

1. Anderson
2. Okoye
3. Branch
4. Adams
5. Willis
6. Landry
7. Carriker
8. Meachem

1. Okoye
2. Branch
3. Adams
4. Landry
5. Willis
6. Carriker
7. Anderson
8. Ginn

That is mine. I am not a big fan of Anderson.

KCJ58
03-01-2007, 09:30 PM
1. Okoye
2. Branch
3. Adams
4. Landry
5. Willis
6. Carriker
7. Anderson
8. Ginn

That is mine. I am not a big fan of Anderson.

i would put Adams #1 and Willis #2 and Okoye #3

yodabear
03-01-2007, 09:37 PM

Any 3 of those would be beautiful. I think Adams will be gone by us.

NGSeiler
03-01-2007, 09:54 PM

There's absolutely no way you can rank Willis over Okoye, not even after an impressive combine performance.

edge_V
03-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Why not? Willis is a beast. Okoye is Claude Wroten again.

NGSeiler
03-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Why not? Willis is a beast. Okoye is Claude Wroten again.

How do you figure that? Ignoring the obvious maturity and off the field differences that make your comparison questionable from the get-go, Okoye at 19 years old is already an outstanding football player and has tremendous amounts of potential to get better as he continues to develop. Willis is the top MLB prospect and improved his stock this weekend, and though I think he'll be an excellent player in this league linebackers simply aren't valued as high unless they're among the elite ranks. Willis may be a beast, but I simply don't see how you can rank him over a prospect like Okoye at this point.

freebirdsrams02
03-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Any thoughts on the Rams trading up for a Gaines Adams?

NGSeiler
03-01-2007, 11:54 PM
I don't think trading up is much of an option, at least not unless we have a guy drop down into the 8-10 range where it's not going to cost an arm and a leg to move up.

KCJ58
03-01-2007, 11:55 PM
How do you figure that? Ignoring the obvious maturity and off the field differences that make your comparison questionable from the get-go, Okoye at 19 years old is already an outstanding football player and has tremendous amounts of potential to get better as he continues to develop. Willis is the top MLB prospect and improved his stock this weekend, and though I think he'll be an excellent player in this league linebackers simply aren't valued as high unless they're among the elite ranks. Willis may be a beast, but I simply don't see how you can rank him over a prospect like Okoye at this point.

i admit Okoye is a great fit playmakers like Willis wont come around often there isnt another LB in the draft even close to him he would be a great fit if he's gone to Buffalo then Okoye would be good pick

NGSeiler
03-02-2007, 12:57 AM
i admit Okoye is a great fit playmakers like Willis wont come around often there isnt another LB in the draft even close to him he would be a great fit if he's gone to Buffalo then Okoye would be good pick

Playmakers like Willis don't come around that often? Look at the history of first round and early second round linebackers over the last couple of years. We had Hawk, Sims, and Ryans who all played well as rookies in 2006. The year before you had guys like Shawne Merriman, Thomas Davis, Demarcus Ware, and Derrick Johnson. In 2004 you had prospects like Jonathan Vilma, DJ Williams, and Karlos Dansby at the top of the second round.

It would seem to me that there have been a number of playmaking linebackers available over the last couple of years, moreso than defensive tackles taken in the same range. To say these guys don't come around often doesn't seem to gel with history, and certainly doesn't strike me as the kind of justification one would need to take Willis over Okoye. Heck, if either of these two players fits into the description of "guys who don't come around often," it's Okoye.

freebirdsrams02
03-04-2007, 07:03 PM
With what we have done so far I would say we are still staying with DT and OLB as the top of our draft list. Anyone think different.

NGSeiler
03-04-2007, 07:15 PM
With what we have done so far I would say we are still staying with DT and OLB as the top of our draft list. Anyone think different.

I don't think you can rule out DE even though we traded a fifth rounder for Hall. Neither he nor Little are spring chickens. I think the Rams would be willing to go DE if they like the guys still on the board.

edge_V
03-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Playmakers like Willis don't come around that often? Look at the history of first round and early second round linebackers over the last couple of years. We had Hawk, Sims, and Ryans who all played well as rookies in 2006. The year before you had guys like Shawne Merriman, Thomas Davis, Demarcus Ware, and Derrick Johnson. In 2004 you had prospects like Jonathan Vilma, DJ Williams, and Karlos Dansby at the top of the second round.

It would seem to me that there have been a number of playmaking linebackers available over the last couple of years, moreso than defensive tackles taken in the same range. To say these guys don't come around often doesn't seem to gel with history, and certainly doesn't strike me as the kind of justification one would need to take Willis over Okoye. Heck, if either of these two players fits into the description of "guys who don't come around often," it's Okoye.

you make a very good point. But idk, Willis is a monster. Okoye also had me giddy for a while. I think its a toss up right now. considering we have "filled" a couple needs and will most likely be left with having to pick BPA. We might be able to take another good LB in the second. damn idk, we'll have to see with FA.

Tom_23
03-05-2007, 01:57 PM
I think the texans signing Peterson throws this thing off, as well as buffalo possibly trading Mcgahee. It should make tihngsvery interesting. If lynch falls to us we could bein a nice situation like last season

Tom_23
03-05-2007, 05:29 PM
What do you guys think of Stewart Bradley as a lateday one or early day 2 pick. He is a big body who projects on the strongside 6'4 255

NGSeiler
03-05-2007, 05:42 PM
What do you guys think of Stewart Bradley as a lateday one or early day 2 pick. He is a big body who projects on the strongside 6'4 255

I don't think he makes it to Day Two. My impression is that he impressed both at the Senior Bowl and at the combine. I would guess he could come off the board in the late second round or early to mid third.

edge_V
03-05-2007, 06:23 PM
yea...I think we can snag him in the third. If we don't sign a real SLB and use our first on okoye and someone else in the second (like Woodley or Moses, or whoever. Although it might seem unlikely that we use all our first day picks on defense alone.) I think he'd be a good pickup in the third.

Tom_23
03-05-2007, 08:58 PM
I'd be fine with bradley in the 3rd, I am still for drafting for Ginn or Willis

NGSeiler
03-05-2007, 09:04 PM
I'd be fine with bradley in the 3rd, I am still for drafting for Ginn or Willis

Why do we draft a first round receiver after spending $30 million in free agency on the position?

RAMBEAST
03-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Why do we draft a first round receiver after spending $30 million in free agency on the position? its pretty clear that we won't be drafting a WR in the first, now that we have signed Bennett, especially not one who is 5'11" and 178lbs, Linehan is into bigger receivers

NGSeiler
03-05-2007, 09:22 PM
its pretty clear that we won't be drafting a WR in the first

That's basically what my question was suggesting. :)

RAMBEAST
03-05-2007, 09:27 PM
That's basically what my question was suggesting. :)
I gotcha ;) ;)

Tom_23
03-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Why do we draft a first round receiver after spending $30 million in free agency on the position?

Well Ginn could be an impact right away in the return game, something worse then our D.

Secondly Bruce has only a few years left and Holt is in his 30's. So Ginn would contribute as a number 4, while learning form to of the best and being groomed to take over Ike's position once he is finished. Similar to drafting Jackson a few years ago

RAMBEAST
03-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Well Ginn could be an impact right away in the return game, something worse then our D.

Secondly Bruce has only a few years left and Holt is in his 30's. So Ginn would contribute as a number 4, while learning form to of the best and being groomed to take over Ike's position once he is finished. Similar to drafting Jackson a few years agothere is nothing worse then our defense, and good return men can be found later in the draft, we are set at WR for now and in Linehans offense the 4th receiver hardly sees the field ...................the pick should be defense

Tom_23
03-05-2007, 10:00 PM
there is nothing worse then our defense, and good return men can be found later in the draft, we are set at WR for now and in Linehans offense the 4th receiver hardly sees the field ...................the pick should be defense

I dont disagree that defense should be first priority, but if ginn is easily the best value at 13 take him

NGSeiler
03-05-2007, 11:46 PM

Secondly Bruce has only a few years left and Holt is in his 30's. So Ginn would contribute as a number 4, while learning form to of the best and being groomed to take over Ike's position once he is finished. Similar to drafting Jackson a few years ago

So we're going to spend a Top 15 pick on a #4 receiver who will also return punts? :confused:

One of the reasons we signed Bennett to such a big deal is because we envision him being the guy who is going to take over for Bruce when he calls it a career. Holt is 31 years old and has quite a lot left in the tank, we don't need to spend first round picks planning for life after Torry at this point.

This is in no way similar to when we drafted Jackson. In 2004 when we drafted Jackson, we'd already spent two seasons watching Marshall Faulk struggle through injuries and remain generally ineffective as a feature back. Holt and Bruce have shown no signs of slowing down and being less productive.

KCJ58
03-06-2007, 12:52 AM
drafting a WR on the firs day is dumb unless someone really good is still on the board

aheineken
03-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Stewart Bradley won't make it out of the 2nd. This draft is very thin at the SAM position, and he's the best one in the draft. Someone will reach for him, probably in the mid 2nd.

TheChampIsHere
03-07-2007, 06:04 AM
I notice no one talks about CB when you guys dont really have much after Tye Hill. Fisher is gone. Fakhir Brown and Butler are nickel backs, Bartell is probably gonna end up at safety. What about the idea of picking Leon Hall in the 1st if the preffered options are gone? Or maybe a CB like Josh Wilson in the 2nd.

edge_V
03-07-2007, 07:35 AM
I don't see Bartell moving to safety, but if you heard it somewhere, then idk. I don't think he's gonna move this season. Fakhir Brown isn't even that bad...at times. But no, I don't think I'd want us to waste a first round pick on a DB. And my vote counts a lot...since i'm working in the rams front office...from home. It's a special program.

aheineken
03-07-2007, 11:50 AM
If several key positions are filled in FA, then I wouldn't mind another first round CB if the FO feels the guy is the best player available. Robaire Smith is in town right now. If they sign him, that could take care of the NT problem.

NGSeiler
03-07-2007, 01:54 PM
I notice no one talks about CB when you guys dont really have much after Tye Hill. Fisher is gone. Fakhir Brown and Butler are nickel backs, Bartell is probably gonna end up at safety. What about the idea of picking Leon Hall in the 1st if the preffered options are gone? Or maybe a CB like Josh Wilson in the 2nd.

Brown is an adequate starter and should be fine with a better pass rush. Hill obviously fills the other starting role. I think Bartell secured himself into the nickel role at the end of last year, so corner really isn't much of a need for St. Louis.

Tom_23
03-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Garret Wolfe is the guy I was thinking about out of northern illinois, I think he'd be a real good change of pace/ returner

freebirdsrams02
03-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Garret Wolfe is the guy I was thinking about out of northern illinois, I think he'd be a real good change of pace/ returner

With the signing of Travis Minor I don't think the Rams will take a RB, unless they have filled all of their needs.

RAMBEAST
03-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Nebraska's pro day was today and Linehan was Present, Carriker ran a 4.72 at 291lbs, he could be a very high prospect on the rams draft board, he would immediately improve the defensive line, I hope he is the pick at 13 if Willis, Branch, Adams and Anderson are gone

TheChampIsHere
03-09-2007, 04:42 PM
OK question if Okoye, Branch and Willis are off the board by 13, who do the Rams take? Not a DE, not a CB apparently, Timmons I dont think worked out well enough for 13, maybe Nelson? Not a WR after signing Bennett, no OL is worth that high...Who?

freebirdsrams02
03-21-2007, 09:29 PM
So the Rams have had a great off-season so far with some great additions in the Free Agent market and with the Draft a month away it seems DT is still our top need. With Branch and Okoye the top two choices. What are some thoughts if they are both gone at 13? Do we trade down or take the best available player on the list.

Thrawn
03-22-2007, 10:49 AM
I think if Bradley actually was there in round 3, we should take a shot. That is questionable whether he'd be there though.

Thrawn
03-22-2007, 10:51 AM

He'd be a risk as a return guy. He doesn't really have much experience there. If he can't return, he's probably not worth a pick and can be picked up as a UDFA.

smizzhfx
03-22-2007, 03:59 PM
If the top 5 offensive players in this years draft get picked in the top 12, that will leave us with at least one of the best 8 defensive players:

-Jamarcus Russell
-Calvin Johnson
-Joe Thomas
-Brady Quinn
-Adrian Peterson

and theres always an outside chance that someone like Levi Brown or Marshawn Lynch could make it into the top 12.

This leaves us with at least one of the following 8 guys:

-Alan Branch
-Amobi Okoye
-Gaines Adams
-Jamaal Anderson
-LaRon landry
-Patrick Willis
-Jarvis Moss
-Adam Carriker

In my opinion, we should draft the best defensive player availabe at #13, then look to the second and third rounds to focus on our defensive line. Day one is extremely deep with defensive line talent with guys like Victor Abiamiri, Justin Harell, Tim Crowder, you can go on and on and on.

Severe Punishment
03-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Personally, I believe Jammal Anderson (should he fall to 13) will be a Ram.