PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of the Chase Daniel and Graham Harrell?

bspen4
04-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Where do you think they will be drafted in 09. Do you think they will get stuck with the system QB label?

Turtlepower
04-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Chase Daniel is a system QB and nothing more. He has played in the exact same system for 7 years and will not be able to make the transition to the NFL.

Trolfes
04-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Chase has the arm and accuracy to make it to the NFL and play, but his size will keep him down most draft boards. Harrell is a system QB

etk
04-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Chase Daniel has everything you look for in a QB except height:

-accurate, mobile, throws with velocity and touch, poised, experienced, a leader, strongly built

I think he's a rich man's Jeff Garcia and a great fit for any offense.

Graham Harrell is the more system-influenced of the two.

bspen4
04-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Thats what I thought about Daniel. I see him as a 1st round pick next year. He is also very durable and people kind of underestimate his athleticism.

DChess
04-14-2008, 08:29 PM
chase daniel isnt even 6'0 pretty hard to overcome (he's listed as 6'0 but he isnt, theres no doubt in my mind). graham harrell will tear up the afl

holt_bruce81
04-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Chase Daniel is a system QB and nothing more. He has played in the exact same system for 7 years and will not be able to make the transition to the NFL.

lol are you serious?

The only thing Daniel lacks is height. It's the only argument anyone brings up on him, and it gets old.

Daniel is a winner, he's a leader, he has good mechanics, he has a quick release, he can throw the deep ball, he is accurate, he escapes pressure very well, he can throw on the run, he's mobile......he will be drafted on day one next year.

DragonFireKai
04-14-2008, 10:18 PM
lol are you serious?

The only thing Daniel lacks is height. It's the only argument anyone brings up on him, and it gets old.

Daniel is a winner, he's a leader, he has good mechanics, he has a quick release, he can throw the deep ball, he is accurate, he escapes pressure very well, he can throw on the run, he's mobile......he will be drafted on day one next year.

You know who you sound like? All the Ohio State fans who tried to will Troy Smith into the first day last season.

BeerBaron
04-14-2008, 10:24 PM
i like them both and feel bad for them both at the same time. id really like to see what each would do given a good opportunity in the NFL but i dont think we'll see it....

as old as the argument may get, daniel is short. even if he has everything else, i dont see him going higher than the 3rd.

as for harrell....if he could somehow show that he's more than a system QB, he might have a chance. even in that system, you still have to be a decent QB to succeed and i think he would have a shot. but no TT QB has shed that system QB label before and sadly, i dont see it changing with him...

so i like them both and am looking forward to seeing them play in college next year, but i doubt we see them much more in any significant way after that

KCJ58
04-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Chase Daniels will be the 1st QB picked in the 2009 NFL Draft, you can count on that, book it

holt_bruce81
04-14-2008, 10:31 PM
You know who you sound like? All the Ohio State fans who tried to will Troy Smith into the first day last season.

Comparing Chase Daniel to Troy Smith is laughable.

DragonFireKai
04-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Comparing Chase Daniel to Troy Smith is laughable.

You're right. Troy Smith was taller, faster, had a stronger arm, and had a better winning percentage.

holt_bruce81
04-14-2008, 10:50 PM
You're right. Troy Smith was taller, faster, had a stronger arm, and had a better winning percentage.

LOL this is just ridiculous.

Their the same height, Daniel runs in the 4.5s Troy runs in the high 4.6s to low 4.7s, no way in hell does Troy have a stronger arm and his accuracy is god awful, and troy played at Ohio State, the team was going to win with whoever was their QB. Missouri is a top 10 team and the main reason is because of Chase Daniel.

DragonFireKai
04-14-2008, 11:11 PM
LOL this is just ridiculous.

Their the same height. Troy Smith checked in at in between 6 flat and 6'1". Daniel is a hair under six foot.

Daniel runs in the 4.5s Troy runs in the high 4.6s to low 4.7s

Troy Smith ran a 4.62, and you're crazy if you think that Daniel is going to run in the 4.5s. That's Vince Young speed, and there's not a chance that Daniel and his 2.3 yards per carry has Vince Young speed.

no way in hell does Troy have a stronger arm and his accuracy is god awful

I was unaware that 65.3% qualifies as good awful accuracy.

and troy played at Ohio State, the team was going to win with whoever was their QB. Missouri is a top 10 team and the main reason is because of Chase Daniel.

Really? The only reason? What happened to...

Jeremy Maclin, William Moore, Chase Coffman and Sean Weatherspoon have a chance to be All-Americans for Mizzou.

I guess they're just a bunch of scrubs.

Brent
04-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Neither will succeed in the NFL.

bspen4
04-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Troy Smith checked in at in between 6 flat and 6'1". Daniel is a hair under six foot.

Troy Smith ran a 4.62, and you're crazy if you think that Daniel is going to run in the 4.5s. That's Vince Young speed, and there's not a chance that Daniel and his 2.3 yards per carry has Vince Young speed.

I was unaware that 65.3% qualifies as good awful accuracy.

Really? The only reason? What happened to...

I guess they're just a bunch of scrubs.

He said main reason. As an NFL prospect Troy Smith doesnt have anything on Daniel. Daniel is better at everything and it wouldn't be surprising for him to run a low 4.6. He played WR at a HUGE Texas High School before becoming a QB. So he has to be pretty athletic

holt_bruce81
04-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Lol, actually Troy Smith ran a 4.72 at the combine. that 65.3 cmp% means nothing when talking about how good a QB is in the accuracy department. Half of Troy Smiths throws he could get a way with at the college level because he usually had a 10 yard cushion to throw to and still his receivers usually made nice adjustments to bring the ball in. Daniel usually hits his receivers right in the chest. Smiths completions at the college level, would be interceptions at the pro level.

One of the Main reasons Jeremy Maclin and Sean Weatherspoon went to Missouri was because of Chase Daniel. Troy Smith didn't build Ohio State, Chase Daniel is building Missouri. The 2.3 yard average means nothing, Daniel is a pocket passer, he only takes off when he sees nothing downfield. He runs in the 4.5s, He beat Ryan Perrilloux in a 1on1 foot race at the elite 11 camp back in 2005 and Gary Pinkel said last year he was timed at 4.56 in the 40, and I don't think thats exaggerated because Pinkel also said last year that Will Franklin was timed at 4.35 (he ran a 4.37 at the combine)

I actually believe you think the Troy to Daniel comparison is legit lol.

fenikz
04-14-2008, 11:56 PM
chase daniel isnt even 6'0 pretty hard to overcome (he's listed as 6'0 but he isnt, theres no doubt in my mind). graham harrell will tear up the afl

Harrell is the perfect AFL QB

Gchu83
04-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Harrell might be the only TT QB to get some decent draft considerations. He's a good QB but he's gonna have that system qb hill to battle.

DragonFireKai
04-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Lol, actually Troy Smith ran a 4.72 at the combine.

And know we know you're pulling things out of your fifth point of contact. Troy Smith didn't run at the combine.

that 65.3 cmp% means nothing when talking about how good a QB is in the accuracy department. Half of Troy Smiths throws he could get a way with at the college level because he usually had a 10 yard cushion to throw to and still his receivers usually made nice adjustments to bring the ball in. Daniel usually hits his receivers right in the chest. Smiths completions at the college level, would be interceptions at the pro level.

Did you watch Ted Ginn jr play? How could barely run a route, much less bail out his QB with great adjustments. He was just really, really fast.

One of the Main reasons Jeremy Maclin and Sean Weatherspoon went to Missouri was because of Chase Daniel.

I'm sure Daniel's recruiting ability will really improve his draft stock.

Troy Smith didn't build Ohio State, Chase Daniel is building Missouri. The 2.3 yard average means nothing, Daniel is a pocket passer, he only takes off when he sees nothing downfield. He runs in the 4.5s, He beat Ryan Perrilloux in a 1on1 foot race at the elite 11 camp back in 2005 and Gary Pinkel said last year he was timed at 4.56 in the 40, and I don't think thats exaggerated because Pinkel also said last year that Will Franklin was timed at 4.35 (he ran a 4.37 at the combine)

I actually believe you think the Troy to Daniel comparison is legit lol.

And Perrilloux's average 40 time coming into LSU was in the 4.65 range, and ranged as high as a 4.73. And since 2005, Daniel has put on 15 lbs, which isn't going to help his speed.

LonghornsLegend
04-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Chase Daniels is a stud, I love how he plays the game, Southlake Carrol product, and very smart...I have them beating us this year as well, I think he is going to be underrated at draft time for some reason but will make a very good pro.

Harrell is a product of the system just like every other qb that has been there since Leach had...Their reads are quick and easy, they have so many mismatches out there, when your running 5 WR's that are all quick and fast with good hands, and you throw the entire game its not hard to rack up 300 yd, 5 td games, you can do that in your sleep at Tech because they might run 5 times a game...Havent you noticed that they havent had a WR as good as Crabtree yet, yet all their QB's put up the same type of numbers year after year...Id hate the year they actually get a decent product because he wont get any credit, but Harrell isn't anything special.

nfrillman
04-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Chase Daniel is a better pro prospect than Troy Smith. If you had watched them both fairly regularly, you would know that Daniel is far far more accurate than Smith. Last time I checked, accuracy is extremely important. With that being said, I don't know how high he will go. A lot depends on how he plays this year. If he is a Heismann finalist I could see him working his way into the late 1st-early 2nd range depending on what other QB's are coming out and if a team falls in love, but that is definitely on the high end of his draft range. He will most likely be a mid round draft pick though, the height knock is killer in the NFL, warranted or not. My prediction right now is that he will be a 3rd round pick.

Race for the Heisman
04-15-2008, 02:30 AM
Too early to tell. Granted for quarterbacks the body of work as a whole is the most important aspect, moreso than other players who can rise to a greater extent via the Combine and so forth, but stock fluctuates so rapidly once the season kicks off, injuries happen, after the Combine/Pro Days, etc. there just no way to tell.

I would say this though: Daniel will be a second rounder at best. He is mobile, he is accurate, granted. But he's small. Small quarterbacks get boned in terms of stock. Second, maybe even late first (say Tampa has a deep playoff run and doesn't select any QB this year) is not impossible but he's more likely to go down because he did so well last year. Take Brohm; came back and put up career numbers in many aspects. He was injury free. His team sucked but he was good. His stock hasn't really dropped so much because while he did seem to get the Quinn/Leinart senior year dissection, the quarterback class was weak enough that it didn't really matter. Same could be said about next year but it depends on the juniors. And then, like I said before, stuff happens late. Russell was maybe a second/third rounder if asked about midseason two years ago. Fast forward to draft day and he's #1 overall.

As for Harrell, I would say he will get drafted. Probably not first day, maybe fourth-ish? But like I said, its way too early to predict anything.

Race for the Heisman
04-15-2008, 02:40 AM
Chase Daniel is a better pro prospect than Troy Smith. If you had watched them both fairly regularly, you would know that Daniel is far far more accurate than Smith. Last time I checked, accuracy is extremely important. With that being said, I don't know how high he will go. A lot depends on how he plays this year. If he is a Heismann finalist I could see him working his way into the late 1st-early 2nd range depending on what other QB's are coming out and if a team falls in love, but that is definitely on the high end of his draft range. He will most likely be a mid round draft pick though, the height knock is killer in the NFL, warranted or not. My prediction right now is that he will be a 3rd round pick.

Just a couple notes on the Smith comparison:

1) Smith has the better arm by far (at least for me).
2) Smith is taller (if Chase checks in under 6000 its going to hurt him. A lot [although you already mentioned this]).
3) Smith WON the Heisman. Didn't do a lot for him.
4) I don't think the accuracy is as big of a difference as you make it out to be. I think Daniel has better touch and better accuracy, but not in enough quantities to elevate that far above Smith, as far as I'm concerned.

keylime_5
04-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Chase Daniel is basically a very poor man's Troy Smith. Round 5 at best, but the 2009 draft is very weak on QBs.

LonghornsLegend
04-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Chase Daniel is basically a very poor man's Troy Smith. Round 5 at best, but the 2009 draft is very weak on QBs.

A poor man's Smith? Get over your players, Smith was nearly a 6th rd pick, aka almost wasn't drafted at all...Daniels is going to be in the 2nd-3rd rd range, he's not a poor man's Troy Smith when his draft stock is going to be incredibly higher.

keylime_5
04-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Smith was 6' at the combine with a much better arm and he was stronger and had better pocket prescence. Daniel is probably 5'10'' or 5'11'' and is a mobile shotgun spread QB who has good mobility and not a great arm, can't make all the throws. Poor Man's Troy Smith. Day 2 pick. Troy was the first QB taken on day two, late round 5, and started 2 games or so as a rookie and showed promise.

LonghornsLegend
04-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Uhhh no, calling Daniels a "very poor mans Troy Smith" is just plain ignorant...Daniels is a 3rd rd pick at worst, and if he finishes the season strong could land himself in round 2...I know you think everyone from OSU is the best prospect ever and its impossible that someone else could be better, but for you to even place Troy Smith that much higher above Daniels shows your arrogance whenever it comes to anything or anyone that has to do with Ohio St.

Daniels wont be drafted in the 6th rd, he will be drafted way before then, so how can his best comparison be a poor man's anyone who was drafted in the 6th? Thats about as foolish as me saying Daniels is a poor mans major applewhite.

jbeans187
04-15-2008, 01:57 PM

Hahaha, I dont think Chase Daniel is a 1st or 2nd round pick but he is better than Troy Smith was in college. Someone said earlier anyone could play qb at ohio st because they are such a talented team, with a great defense, receivers, o line, and rbs, its true, after Troy Smith left they still had the exact same season. Chase Daniel is Mizzou, we would have been a medicore team without him, he is a program changer, there are no stats to measure everything he does. Even though he doesnt look the part he is a better athlete than many realize.

jbeans187
04-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Smith was 6' at the combine with a much better arm and he was stronger and had better pocket prescence. Daniel is probably 5'10'' or 5'11'' and is a mobile shotgun spread QB who has good mobility and not a great arm, can't make all the throws. Poor Man's Troy Smith. Day 2 pick. Troy was the first QB taken on day two, late round 5, and started 2 games or so as a rookie and showed promise.

Daniel can make every throw, he will probably be the most accurate qb in college this year and he has great arm strength. His only negative as a pro prospect is his height.

etk
04-15-2008, 02:22 PM

hahaha wow.....just wow. There's no way the Bucs pass up Daniel in the 3rd round, considering he can actually throw unlike Smith.

Once again, Daniel is a prototypical QB except for his height. The only advantage Smith has over Daniel is his Ohio State background and subsequent Heisman trophy. It's quite laughable to say Daniel will be drafted later than Smith even though Daniel is faster, more accurate, throws with better touch, has better mechanics, pocket presence, leadership, experience, etc....plus he doesn't have character issues. Troy Smith is short, slower than expected, inaccurate, incapable of making all the throws, has poor character and leadership and simply sucks. His Ohio State coaches gave him a simplified offense with great surrounding talent and he flourshed for one year in college.

keylime_5
04-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Okay, when Daniel goes 2nd day next year you can all make your +rep out to keylime_5. Take a shorter Troy Smith with less of an arm who didn't win the heisman and put him in a spread option offense and you have Chase Danel. Troy threw like 65% his senior year when he operated almost exclusively from the pocket, and don't give me the Ohio State talent thing, Chase had some great weapons to work with too.

P-L
04-15-2008, 03:38 PM
I actually like both of them as college players, but right now they're probably both 4th or 5th Round picks.

Thunder&Lightning
04-15-2008, 05:08 PM
I compare Chase Daniels to Drew Brees. Good arms, very accurate, decently mobile, smart, good charisma... 6"0 Tall. Chase will be drafted lower though.

keylime_5
04-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Troy Smith is short, slower than expected, inaccurate, incapable of making all the throws, has poor character and leadership and simply sucks. His Ohio State coaches gave him a simplified offense with great surrounding talent and he flourshed for one year in college.

the only thing laughable I see on this thread is that. You won't find as good a leader on the field at QB as Smith. Even as a rookie on a veteran Baltimore team his leadership stood out. He really flourished for one year too, he had one big game in 2004, was a very good QB in 2005 and in the second half of 2005 only Vince Young was better. Troy had great talent around him, but with the same kind of talent Joe Germaine, Bobby Hoying, Steve Bellisari, Craig Krenzel, and Justin Zwick never came close to Troy's results, so nice try. I don't think the results would be much different for either player if you interchange Daniel and Smith. What you see is what there is.

holt_bruce81
04-15-2008, 05:51 PM
the only thing laughable I see on this thread is that. You won't find as good a leader on the field at QB as Smith. Even as a rookie on a veteran Baltimore team his leadership stood out. He really flourished for one year too, he had one big game in 2004, was a very good QB in 2005 and in the second half of 2005 only Vince Young was better. Troy had great talent around him, but with the same kind of talent Joe Germaine, Bobby Hoying, Steve Bellisari, Craig Krenzel, and Justin Zwick never came close to Troy's results, so nice try. I don't think the results would be much different for either player if you interchange Daniel and Smith. What you see is what there is.

Daniel is an exceptional leader.

He is a better Quaterback then Troy is. It shouldn't even be debatable, I respect you for sticking up for your player but this debate is not necessary.

BigJohn98
04-15-2008, 05:53 PM

He is a better Quaterback then Troy is. It shouldn't even be debatable, I respect you for sticking up for your player but this debate is not necessary.

No he isn't. Everyone who plays for Ohio State is a god.

keylime_5
04-15-2008, 05:54 PM
I love watching Daniel play he is a great QB, but I don't think you guys have anymore ground to say he is any better than Troy Smith than I do to say Troy is better. Troy Smith did afterall win a heisman trophy, beat Michigan all 3 times he played them, and went to the national championship and is now in the NFL and looks like he might have a future as a starting QB there possibly.

tigerz2350
04-15-2008, 07:05 PM
judge for yourselves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMZi119YvTw

His highlights begin around the 1:50 mark. The clips are taken from a total of 8 games.

Turtlepower
04-15-2008, 07:38 PM

So why is it when an OSU fan says good things about Troy Smith he is labeled a homer, but you talking about Chase Daniel is not. Seriously, Daniel is very comparable to Smith in a lot of ways and at least Smith doesn't have a 3/4 throw like Chase which will only further lead for him to have problems in the NFL.

keylime_5
04-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Daniel is a good QB and all, but his big plays mostly are running and short passes which is fine, that's what you get when you're a mobile QB in a shotgun spread offense like Missouri runs and wins with. But if you compare Daniel and his throws to Troy's video and his throws, Troy made a lot more of the harder throws for TDs and had longer completions more often than Daniel it seems, and while Daniel seems to be a better runner (remember Troy was almost exclusively a pocket QB in '06 after running for 10 tds in 2005), Troy Smith certainly makes better and more difficult throws while on the run. In fact I think out of his 10 best passes all of them were on the move except 1 - the TD against MSU when he was being dragged down by the DT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udne9JTds5A
corny abc video

It is arguable which will be a better draft prospect, but Troy's film just seems more impressive to me, I don't know if it's b/c he's throwing a lot more deep passes or b/c Chase is in a high school type offense or what. It seems like half of his 30 TDs in 2006 were just crazy amazing throws.

Race for the Heisman
04-15-2008, 07:57 PM
I would also add that even if Daniel is faster than Smith that does not make him a better scrambling quarterback. Smith has great pocket presence and agility and if you watch his highlights from his junior and sophomore year its clear he is good in space and more than capable of making people miss. Daniel probably has better timed speed, but so does Boeckman and he gets the whole 'deer in the headlights' look when under pressure. I know Daniel doesn't fold like that but it makes a point. Hell, I think Brohm ran better than Smith, that doesn't make him more mobile.

I evaluated Daniel last year and this is what I came up with:

- Reactionary mobility (runs as a secondary option as opposed to one read and go)
- Very accurate
- Great play extension
- Good on the run
- Good zip
- Good initial poise but loses that the longer he stays in the pocket
- Makes a lot of the short throws (crosses, hitches, flares)
- Offense creates questions (arm strength, dropping from center, vision, decision-making)
- Retreat scrambler (runs backward/to the side rather stepping out/up past pressure)
- Great distribution

That was over a handful of games, to be fair.

He could easily be as good as Jeff Garcia. At the same time, in a pro offense, I would look elsewhere first. As far as true scrambling quarterbacks go, he's not one. Someone like a young Favre, Romo, Garcia, Young (Steve) move in the pocket. Daniel (and Smith, too) abandon it by running out.

I would still maintain that it is too early to tell and I would also add that just because Troy Smith was a 5th round player and Daniel might be a 3rd rounder does not necessarily mean that Daniel is the better prospect.

LonghornsLegend
04-15-2008, 08:01 PM
So why is it when an OSU fan says good things about Troy Smith he is labeled a homer, but you talking about Chase Daniel is not. Seriously, Daniel is very comparable to Smith in a lot of ways and at least Smith doesn't have a 3/4 throw like Chase which will only further lead for him to have problems in the NFL.

Comparable? Yes, Ill buy that...but saying Daniels is "a very poor mans Troy Smith":rolleyes: Thats just Keylime being Keylime, and he wonders why no one takes him seriously whenever the discussion has to do with Ohio St, because Ohio St Rulezzzz.

holt_bruce81
04-15-2008, 08:20 PM

I didn't call him a homer, I said I respected him for sticking up for his guy. What the heck is a 3/4 throw? Daniel's throwing motion is just fine, It is overhand.

I can tell apart the people who have actually watched Daniel play to the people that haven't and are just basing their argument on his height.

holt_bruce81
04-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Daniel is a good QB and all, but his big plays mostly are running and short passes which is fine, that's what you get when you're a mobile QB in a shotgun spread offense like Missouri runs and wins with. But if you compare Daniel and his throws to Troy's video and his throws, Troy made a lot more of the harder throws for TDs and had longer completions more often than Daniel it seems, and while Daniel seems to be a better runner (remember Troy was almost exclusively a pocket QB in '06 after running for 10 tds in 2005), Troy Smith certainly makes better and more difficult throws while on the run. In fact I think out of his 10 best passes all of them were on the move except 1 - the TD against MSU when he was being dragged down by the DT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udne9JTds5A
corny abc video

It is arguable which will be a better draft prospect, but Troy's film just seems more impressive to me, I don't know if it's b/c he's throwing a lot more deep passes or b/c Chase is in a high school type offense or what. It seems like half of his 30 TDs in 2006 were just crazy amazing throws.

The little screen passes Daniel threw were pretty much all called inside the opponents 20 yard line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bkk93iMb2o
Key Views: 1:35, 2:02, 2:32, 3:26, 4:46, 5:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngr7apc6_hY&feature=related
Key Views: 1:38, 1:55, 2:50, 3:28, 5:25, 6:45, 6:57

Not big on showing HIGHLIGHT videos, but if you watch the videos you see that Daniel has all the intangibles to make it in the NFL. He has great accuracy, throwing the ball where only his receiver can get it, great footwork, has a nice quick release, can throw well on the run, doesn't have a cannon but it's more than serviceable, He's a very intelligent Quarterback.

keylime_5
04-15-2008, 09:09 PM
I think Daniel can be a good NFL QB as well. Like Smith he has all you need to make it in the league, some things he has better than Troy and vice versa. But the pro people will drop him way down boards b/c of his height. Only one QB in the league is under 6' and that is Garcia, and he was like a 7th round pick I think if any at all. The offense he plays in won't help him either, but that won't hurt his stock at all compared to the main issue at hand. Second round pick IMO (not that he should be, but that he will be)

etk
04-15-2008, 09:58 PM
I love watching Daniel play he is a great QB, but I don't think you guys have anymore ground to say he is any better than Troy Smith than I do to say Troy is better. Troy Smith did afterall win a heisman trophy, beat Michigan all 3 times he played them, and went to the national championship and is now in the NFL and looks like he might have a future as a starting QB there possibly.

I tend to look at talent a little more than accolades when I'm looking at QBs...the NFL careers of a large portion of Heisman winners speak for themselves, and Troy Smith is well on his way to a Chris Weinke impact in the NFL. Funny how you say he has a future as a starting QB when Baltimore is apparently scrambling to trade up for Matt Ryan in fear that Kansas City will take them.

In terms of leadership, I understand why you are loyal to Smith, but when I add up all the factors: off-field incidents, quiet, doesn't take a command on the field....it leads me to assume that Smith is a poor leader. That might have been an overstatement on my part because I don't know the man personally but he's definitely not the leader that Daniel is.

Because multiple non-Missouri fans like myself have given Daniel the stamp of approval, while IIRC most of the board thought Smith was a late round throwaway. Throwing motions are easily correctable and have had very little impact on NFL success lately anyway. Vince Young has exceeded my expectations for him and he has an awkward release. Phillip Rivers also has an unorthodox style. Even if Daniel's throwing style/motion was an issue one could easily reverse the tables and say "at least Daniel hasn't had off-field issues, or at least he's proven he can make all the throws in college, etc.".

Plus it's keylime....even when he's not a homer we will still poke fun at him because of the Terrelle Pryor updates and such. The Missouri fans on here are homers too, but I don't see any violations in this thread.

keylime_5
04-16-2008, 08:33 AM
In terms of leadership, I understand why you are loyal to Smith, but when I add up all the factors: off-field incidents, quiet, doesn't take a command on the field....it leads me to assume that Smith is a poor leader. That might have been an overstatement on my part because I don't know the man personally but he's definitely not the leader that Daniel is.

His off-field incidents were prior to his junior year, he corrected his errors and talked about how sorry he was and how he had changed and all- that much was on espn probably every day of the 06 season, I don't know how many corny segments they had on troy and his turnaround. He is a leader on the field and demands his teammates attention in the huddle, simply the best leader I've ever seen at Ohio State by far. It's an easy mistake to make if your not a big ten fan I guess, but calling Smith a poor leader would be about the same as calling Peyton Manning a mediocre passer or something along those lines. It is way off base to say he's definitely not the leader that [insert QB name here] is b/c I don't see anyway that he is any less of a great leader at QB than anyone. If two people are great great leaders how can you really say one is any less of a leader for their team? you cant

Menardo75
04-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Harrell is totally a system QB i could see Daniel in the 3rd or 4th round