PDA

View Full Version : Fletcher "gone", Lions will pass...

TacticaLion
02-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Taken from mlive.com, for those that missed it.

Monday, February 26, 2007

With Fletcher gone, the Lions have cooled on MLB free agents
With London Fletcher all but signed, sealed and delivered to the Redskins, the Lions might not make a play for a middle linebacker in free agency. They might bring in some guys for interviews, but they're not going to over-pay for a player who isn't worth it. They loved Fletcher and were willing pay big for him, but they're not going to act desperate.

If a guy comes at the right price and they think he's an upgrade, they'll pull the trigger. But, otherwise, they'll pass.

Right now, it's Teddy Lehman and Paris Lenon situated in the middle and that's not going to be good enough. Lehman just isn't dependable until he can prove he's totally healthy.

Middle linebacker now becomes more of a priority in the draft, but it appears remote that the Lions would be able to move down far enough -- about 10th or 12th -- to get Patrick Willis. They'll be looking in the second and third round and there are some possibilities there.
Hmmm...

That certinally changes the draft. Does this make the Carolina-Quinn rumor more of a topic? And, Marinelli "reached" a bit (in the eyes of many) for Sims... would he do the same for Willis, a player he loves?

If they look for a MLB in rounds 2-3, who are players the management is interested in?

Scotty D
02-26-2007, 04:18 PM
I read an article in the paper today that Millen fell in love with Patrick Willis.

TacticaLion
02-26-2007, 04:24 PM
I read an article in the paper today that Millen fell in love with Patrick Willis.
Exactly. Which makes me wonder...

Sims was projected lower than #9, but they took him. If they love Willis as much as they do, and Fletcher is no longer an option, would they take Willis at #5? Then, they could take Bazuin in the 3rd and fill CB/OG in round 2.

I wish they'd reach on Willis at #5.

JPLUFF
02-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Got to get down to #5 before we worry about that

detroit4life
02-26-2007, 04:39 PM
i read that they moved on to Kawika mitchell earlier today but yea i just read that same thing on mlive but its two storys kind of contradicting eachother on reports. Im not sure they are going to make a move down to take Willis but if they can add a second and a third then they should go for it

detroit4life
02-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Also from mlive talking about bly they say hes the hottest commodity at the combine and that he could be had for a 3rd round and a player. But it says six teams are trying for him so lets see if a bidding war could move that to a second

TacticaLion
02-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Also from mlive talking about bly they say hes the hottest commodity at the combine and that he could be had for a 3rd round and a player. But it says six teams are trying for him so lets see if a bidding war could move that to a second
Exactly... that would be awesome.

I think the first story (about Mitchell) was more of a "he's gone, now what" type of report... and the second is a "the coaching staff isn't interested" type of report.

Either way, I want Willis more than ever.

Pocket
02-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Got to get down to #5 before we worry about that

Exactly. You need to make a move before we can discuss reaching for a player.

asmitty45
02-26-2007, 05:01 PM

Any indication who those 6 teams are? And do they have any young CB/OG's we could take with that player slot with?

I love Willis, i dont think theyll reach for him at 5 but i think somewhere around 7-9 isnt out of the question at all

Do you guys think Houston would move up to get AD now that he's a lock to not slip past 3 to CLE? Bcuz i think we could really get a lot if they arent careful.

TacticaLion
02-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Exactly. You need to make a move before we can discuss reaching for a player.
Wait... are you serious? We can't discuss different draft options... we have to use only the picks the Lions currently have? No.

Any scenario is reasonable to discuss at this point. The Skins have Fletcher, the coaches love (and need) a MLB, and the Cards seem to be interested in JThomas. They wont trade the pick today or tomorrow, but discussing the possibility of trading down and grabbing Willis is very reasonable.