Week 11 Nov. 16 Philadelphia 1 p.m.
Week 12 Nov. 20 @ Pittsburgh 8:15 p.m.
Week 13 Nov. 30 Baltimore 1 p.m.
Week 14 Dec. 7 @ Indianapolis 1 p.m.
Week 15 Dec. 14 Washington 1 p.m.
Week 16 Dec. 21 @ Cleveland 1 p.m.
Week 17 Dec. 28 Kansas City 1 p.m.

Initial reactions...

The bye at week 8 is nice, we've been getting it way too early lately.
Must we always play KC as our additional game? I mean jeeze.
IMO there's good balance, no real rough stretches within the schedule.
Dallas/Pitt/Jax in 4 games is a little rough though.
One prime time game is sweet given what we did last year.

I'm still not going to predict, way too many variables with this team. New DC, Odell/Ahmad's health and actually playing, Chad being a d-bag, will Rudi be back to his old self? Can Irons/Perry come back healthy, I'm pretty sure Perry won't... We all realize that by now. Obviously the draft hasn't even occurred.

We'll see, I'm definitely going to take this season one game at a time.

Bengalsrocket
04-16-2008, 12:37 AM
Week 1 Sept. 7 @ Baltimore 1 p.m.
Week 2 Sept. 14 Tennessee 1 p.m.
Week 3 Sept. 21 @ NY Giants 1 p.m.
Week 4 Sept. 28 Cleveland 1 p.m.
Week 5 Oct. 5 @ Dallas 4:15 p.m.
Week 6 Oct. 12 @ NY Jets 1 p.m.
Week 7 Oct. 19 Pittsburgh 1 p.m.
Week 8 BYE
Week 9 Nov. 2 Jacksonville 1 p.m.
Week 10 Nov. 9 @ Houston 1 p.m.
Week 11 Nov. 16 Philadelphia 1 p.m.
Week 12 Nov. 20 @ Pittsburgh 8:15 p.m.
Week 13 Nov. 30 Baltimore 1 p.m.
Week 14 Dec. 7 @ Indianapolis 1 p.m.
Week 15 Dec. 14 Washington 1 p.m.
Week 16 Dec. 21 @ Cleveland 1 p.m.
Week 17 Dec. 28 Kansas City 1 p.m.

Initial reactions...

The bye at week 8 is nice, we've been getting it way too early lately.
Must we always play KC as our additional game? I mean jeeze.
IMO there's good balance, no real rough stretches within the schedule.
Dallas/Pitt/Jax in 4 games is a little rough though.
One prime time game is sweet given what we did last year.

I'm still not going to predict, way too many variables with this team. New DC, Odell/Ahmad's health and actually playing, Chad being a d-bag, will Rudi be back to his old self? Can Irons/Perry come back healthy, I'm pretty sure Perry won't... We all realize that by now. Obviously the draft hasn't even occurred.

We'll see, I'm definitely going to take this season one game at a time.

every browns/steelers/ravens fan I know seems to think we're the worst in the division now. Maybe I'm biased but I think all teams have a shot to win the AFC north.

The only problem is the AFC North has such a hard schedule that I doubt we'll produce any wild card teams this year, so the bengals really have to win the division =/

themaninblack
04-16-2008, 01:35 PM
they can think that all they want...

StripedWalrus
04-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Its just because everyone in riding the Browns Free Agent Bandwagon. At first I thought the Browns were making great moves. Then I looked it over. I didnt think they were making that great of strides. Sure they signed some mediocre hitters but I don't have much confidence in Shaun Rogers and I dont think Stallworth is going to be a breakout player.

The Ravens have multiple Problems...Including QB, Secondary, Oline, and Dline.

The Steelers are just Plain smelly =)

So I dont see how anyone could think the Bengals will finish last in the division.

themaninblack
04-18-2008, 01:16 PM
I thought the Brownies were pretty good too, til they came to Cincy last year and got worked! One of the few highlights from last season.

BengalMedic
04-22-2008, 12:04 PM
I think the Steelers are always going to be a team in contention due to the fact that they have an outstanding front office. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand the Steelers, but facts are facts and I fully expect to see them right there contending through the whole season.

The Browns have been make huge improvements to their roster and the biggest thing seems to be that many of the draft picks they have made in the recent years are finally getting healthy. We all know how bad injuries have impacted the Bengals and the Browns have been in the same boat for the most part.

The Ravens are the team I see as having the hardest route to make the playoffs this year. To start (and the biggest thing) their QB situation is far from stable. McNair is now gone, Boller is quite possibly the worst QB in the league, and Smith is an unknown at this point. Their defense will keep them in games, but I expect their offense to (yet again) cost them a shot at the playoffs.

Our beloved Bengals on the other hand need to figure out their defense. If they could ever find a way to stop the run and (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD) rush the opposing QB, it might be another story for our guys. Until that happens, I believe we will have a season very close to anther 8-8 effort...

hobbes2053
04-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Our beloved Bengals on the other hand need to figure out their defense. If they could ever find a way to stop the run and (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD) rush the opposing QB, it might be another story for our guys. Until that happens, I believe we will have a season very close to anther 8-8 effort...

im not too worried about how well we will do on defense this coming season. the addition of odom makes the pass rush more realisitic, and even more so if we pick up a DE in the draft. If we do end up getting ellis, or an equally talented DL, our chances of stopping the run will improve ten-fold.

BengalMedic
04-23-2008, 12:21 PM
While I agree that getting that DT to bolster the middle of the D-line will improve our chances of stopping the run, it will still be with the expectation that the rookie makes that type of an impact and we don't know if that will be the case or not. Getting one of the top two DT still doesn't make it a given.

As for Odom, he HUGELY benifitted from having not only one of the most dominant DT in Haynesworth, but additional help on the other side of the D-line. Without getting NOT ONLY the DT we want, but getting him to produce at a high level from the get go could mean nothing more than an average year from Odom.

On the possible flip side, if we miss out on a DT that makes a fairly big impact, I see Odom not being as big a factor as some might think and or hope for...

themaninblack
04-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Odom has the upside that you like to see even though he did well with Haynesworth. I could see him really coming into his own, or maybe thats just wishful thinking.

BengalMedic
04-23-2008, 12:33 PM
I could really see Odell having a MONSTER year as well, but that is wishful thinking as well. I really am not ready to watch this defense struggle again this year, but the fact remains that it is still a very real possibility...

themaninblack
04-23-2008, 12:37 PM
I am probably least worried about Odell when he gets his chance to shine he will. I just hope they don't try to hold him back too long.

hobbes2053
04-23-2008, 12:43 PM
As for Odom, he HUGELY benifitted from having not only one of the most dominant DT in Haynesworth, but additional help on the other side of the D-line. Without getting NOT ONLY the DT we want, but getting him to produce at a high level from the get go could mean nothing more than an average year from Odom.

there is no doubt that Haynesworth had a huge effect on Odom's performance, but i think our d-line is decent enough to make him successful. opposite Odom, we have Geathers with Peko and Thorton/Myers in the interior, who are both getting up there in age. if we do end up getting Ellis and he has an immediate impact, he could be cycled in every few plays. that appears to be a solid d-line, but i can merely speculate and maybe im just too optimistic for the future.

StripedWalrus
04-23-2008, 12:51 PM
I think with any situation that may arise with the 1st and second round draft picks, we will end up with a solid DT. I also think that the DT we land will be able to impact the defense from day 1. Gethers, Peko, Ellis, Odom would be a tangible that many olines wouldn't be able to handle. With the return of Thurman (I am confidant he will get in shape) and a young but good Secondary we will have a greatly improved defense.

Now how does that tie in with the 2008 schedule? Looking over the first half before the bye we have a game against the Ravens. Ravens have no QB, have aging WR's, they do have a good running back, but an aging oline that isnt really intact. This would be a great game to get our defense motivated.

The second game of the season is at the Titans. I think it will be a difficult game. Their run game is week if you dont count Young, and receiver wise (predraft) they dont have the tools that Young needs. They did gain a TE that will work well with a Vince Young Style. Still I dont see it as a game that will press the defense to hard...but I step above the Ravens.

The Third game gives us a little better test. Although, I don't consider the Super Bowl Champions a top notch offense. I seem to remember that everyone was about to kill Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning mid season last year. The ferver subsided when they won the super bowl of course...and it will come back. They do have a run game, they have a decent QB and they have at least 1 WR. So it will be a good test on our defense. It will be the first real test on whether we can hold up or not.

In the Fourth, we get Cleveland. I think Anderson was a one year fluke and we will prove it to them in this game. The man wont know what hit him when he gets sacked so many times he starts throwing interception after interception.

Week 5 gets tough for the D. They will be the toughest Offense will will face in the first half.

The Jets in week 6 will be similar to the Browns in Week 4. Sacks and Interceptions!

to close out the first half we get the Steelers. Their Oline took a hit. Their Run game is good. Their pass game is decent. It will be much like facing the Giants previously.

First half Prediction....6-1

The second half definantly gets alot tougher. But I think we can easily squeeze 3-4 wins down the stretch in order to get ourselves in the playoffs.(Baltimore, Cleveland, Houston, K.C., Washington) I think the best though is going 7-2 down the stretch for a total of 13-3. That is if the Defense is going on all gears all year. The offense will have to be clicking too.

If the defense doesnt click...with the schedule we have I see us going....

3-4 in the first half
5-4 in the second
8-8 overall

It will still be a playoff push that will come down to games against Pitt Houston Philly, and Cleveland.

I see it as a win season though. We took some steps down since we went to the playoffs a few years back. This will be the year we get back in.

I also think Chris Perry comes back healthy and proves he wasnt a bust. Thats what I really want to see.

PalmerToCJ
04-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Our offense will likely regress, void of Chad not being an idiot which is more than doubtful.

We could easily be better if the defense improves and creates turnovers while our running game picks up (hinging on a healthy Irons/Perry). Carson should be better in terms of not turning the ball over. Utecht should help that.

Utecht, a better running game and improved defense would be HUGE. I don't think we'll pass nearly as much as last year. This season could go in either extreme, I'm not sure what to expect.

hobbes2053
04-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Utecht, a better running game and improved defense would be HUGE. I don't think we'll pass nearly as much as last year. This season could go in either extreme, I'm not sure what to expect.

to me, Utecht adds a whole new dimension to the offense that was virtually previously nonexistent, especially if we pick up a solid WR in the draft. i agree that we wont pass as much, but that is only if the run game gets stronger, which i expect it to. i also expect to see the defense much improved from years past, mainly due to the hiring of the defense staff, return of thurman and possibly brooks, and the incoming picks. im excited to see what happens.

BengalMedic
04-24-2008, 07:50 AM
Looking at the schedule as it stands right now and the team we currently possess, thinking anything more than 8-8 or 9-7 may be a bit of overzealousness. We have no idea how the defense will step up, but I will agree that it does have REAL potential and this is one of the few years I have been able to say that I am looking forward to watching what happens.

The offense needs to regain the running game that it had in the 2005 season or this could get ugly. Who knows what is up with Chad, but Im thinking he's gone or a huge distraction at best. Without him demanding the double team, things could get hairy (excuse the pun) for TJ. Rookie WR's do NOT have a history of making a big impact. I will concede though that the addition of Utecht changes the look of our passing offense and hopefully will help in a different direction than this offense has been accustomed to.

Our schedule presents a HUGE challenge to this Bengals team, but 9-7 might be enough in the AFCN this year...

hobbes2053
04-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Rookie WR's do NOT have a history of making a big impact.

we need to find a guy in this years draft similar to the saints' marcus colston. a never heard of before-phenome receiver who can make an instant impact and replace henry and possibly chad. i can only hope

BengalMedic
04-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Hobbes, I can only hope as well !!!

BengalMedic
04-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Looking back at not only the Bengals draft, but the draft of the other teams in the AFCN, does it change your opinion at the possible outcome of the schedule ?? I think it may still be early to judge, but I'll take a stab at it:

At Ravens- I think Baltimore still has to many questions with their offense to make this game a big concern for me. Their defense is still pretty tough, but I think we open with a win.

Titans- A tough playoff team that doesn't appear to have helped their situation that much with the draft. I think this is a winnable game for the Bengals, but you never know. Home field advantage ?? Either way with this one.

At Giants- Superbowl Champs in their house. Didn't lose much in the offseason and did a good job reloading in the draft. I see this as a loss, but this presents a huge motivator for the Bengals who could keep this close.

Browns- Home game against Division rival. I like thier picks of Bell and LOVED their pick of Rucker who will give teams fits with their corp of receivers and TE's. I still see this as a win as well.

At Cowboys- Another tough playoff team that could have just as easily been in the Super Bowl last year. I think they had a really good draft and look at this game as a loss for us as well.

At Jets- I think the Jets had a good draft, but I think the Bengals are just a stronger team at this point. I always hate seeing the Bengals go into New York as they seem to lose a lot there. I could be wrong... The Bengals win this game though.

Steelers- They did well picking up Mendenhall and Sweed, but did very little to bolster their O-line concerns. They have a solid team, so this may not be such a huge issue for them. This game always goes either way and I'm going to call for the Bengals to finally beat them at home which hasn't happened in some time. Bengals win.

Jaguars- Another strong playoff team who had a good defensive draft to address their needs. I see these teams as being pretty similar and I'm happy to have this game in Cincinnati. Bengals win.

At Texans- Coming off a good season in their eyes, the should be motivated this season. Schaub is a solid QB for them and the had a solid middle of the draft for themselves. I think the Bengals are still a better team than them. Bengals win.

Eagles- Yet another strong team from the NFCE and they did pretty well in the draft getting their needs. Another game I'm glad to have at home and think the Bengals can pull this one out. Bengals win.

At Steelers- Nothing more to add except Bengals lose and take the split...

Ravens- Bengals get the season sweep over the Ravens.

At Colts- This game always seems to be a lot of fun that the Bengals always seem to lose. The Colts had a blah kind of draft, but I see them as Super Bowl contenders from the start. We can always hope, but I think the Bengals lose this one on the road.

Redskins- This one would have been fun had Chad gotten traded to them, but I digress... Washington addressed their need for WR's, but is it enough ?? They had a good season making the playoffs last year and will be solid this year as well, but.... The Bengals get the win at home.

At Browns- Bengals make up for the game they blew in Cleveland last year sweeping the Browns for the season. This game can always go the other way and you just never know with the Browns being much stronger, but... The Bengals win.

Chiefs- WOW what a draft, but with the loss of Allen, all the rookies, and instability at QB, I think they will have some issues. Playing late in the season gives them the opportunity to gel, so we will have to wait and see. At this point though, I'm loving not having to go into KC for a change and think the Bengals get the season ending win.

I can't believe I actually counted up a 10 win season there, but I think it is possible with the changes we have made. Some of these games present a HUGE challenge in regards to the running game (See Eagles with Westbrook) and without a viable pass rush this year, 10 wins could easily fade to 6 or 7. I want to remain optimistic that Odom, a healthy LB corp, and a couple rookies make a big impact on the defense.

If the defense could find a way to get into the #15 range of defenses, the offense will be able to get enough done. The offense without more support from the defense will make their weaknesses even MORE glaring. Here's to hoping our RB corps is healthy this season and the WR's can figure things out quickly...

What say you Bengal fans ??