PDA

View Full Version : Pat Kirwan on Matt Schaub trade talks

Shiver
02-26-2007, 04:31 PM
It appears that as coaches got done watching the Combine workouts, some of them rekindled their thinking about Matt Schaub. Be assured, Atlanta will put the high tender on Matt at week's end, but that doesn't mean Atlanta will require a first- and third-round pick as compensation in a trade.

The Falcons will not give the guy away, but after evaluating the 2007 prospects' performances, Schaub probably is no worse than third in this class, and for a few teams, he's probably second. As one personnel director with an interest in a quarterback said, "The Falcons know that Schaub's value is probably close to the 15th pick in the first round, but putting a deal together that works for all parties is the tricky part."

Here are a few ideas that are floating around Indianapolis this weekend.

1. A team in the top 14 spots in the draft could trade down close to the 15th spot, pick up an extra pick or two, and then trade for Schaub and get the other players they need with the extra picks. Keep in mind, Schaub would have to negotiate a long-term deal with a new club. I'm not sure the Falcons will ever trade Schaub, but if a team calls with a pick close to No. 15, they might sit up and listen. I wonder if teams like Minnesota, Houston or Miami would consider this idea?

2. It can be problematic for a team to get another team to trade with them in the draft in order to position them for a maneuver like Scenario No. 1, but using a second-round pick this season and a sliding-scale pick in the 2008 draft eliminates a third party. Consider the same three teams mentioned above put a package together that includes this year's second-round pick and a second next year that could escalate to a first if Schaub hits certain benchmarks. For instance, a second-round pick in 2008 appreciates to a first-round pick if Matt starts 10 or more games, throws a minimum of 15 touchdown passes and gains more than 2,000 yards. The Falcons would have a hard time turning that deal down, the trading club keeps this year's first-round pick and I'm sure the team would be comfortable parting with its 2008 selection based on performance.

3. Schaub could throw a monkey wrench in the whole thing if an interested club puts out a low-ball offer. He could decide to just sit in a Falcons uniform for one year on a high tender and then hit the street as an unrestricted free agent in 2008 with the opportunity to let any of the other 31 clubs compete for his services. The Falcons know they will receive no compensation for Schaub if he walks in 2008, and there's no way the Falcons would protect themselves in 2008 with a $12 million franchise tag.

Based on conversations I have heard around Indianapolis this weekend, it will be interesting to see what happens with the Matt Schaub situation.

Interesting, to say the least.

iloxygenil
02-26-2007, 04:50 PM
I would LOVE to see us get something around the 15th pick. That'd be fantastic! But I'm wanting Calvin more than anything else.

DraftMichaelHuff
02-26-2007, 05:49 PM
what the crap? 15th overall then he says he worth a 2nd or a 3rd in the same article? That didn't really clear much up for me.

I really hope this new coaching staff can make these personel changes that Mora didnt have the heart to.

Shaub should be traded this year before draft day and we should sign a mobile vet with a good arm like Aaron Brooks or Jake Plummer. Also guys like Allen Rossom and Jason Webster and Matt Lehr have no buisness on this football team.

Shiver
02-26-2007, 05:54 PM
what the crap? 15th overall then he says he worth a 2nd or a 3rd in the same article? That didn't really clear much up for me.

I really hope this new coaching staff can make these personel changes that Mora didnt have the heart to.

Shaub should be traded this year before draft day and we should sign a mobile vet with a good arm like Aaron Brooks or Jake Plummer. Also guys like Allen Rossom and Jason Webster and Matt Lehr have no buisness on this football team.

No, he said a 2nd this year with an conditional '08 pick included.

DraftMichaelHuff
02-26-2007, 06:01 PM
No, he said a 2nd this year with an conditional '08 pick included.

Yes i see what you mean now, before i only read the extract posted on the NFL forum not the listed scenario's

--------------
Schaub probably is no worse than third in this class, and for a few teams, he's probably second. As one personnel director with an interest in a quarterback said, "The Falcons know that Schaub's value is probably close to the 15th pick in the first round, but putting a deal together that works for all parties is the tricky part."
--------------------
Thats the part i read, it just sounded weird to me, he says "As one personnel director ..." which makes it sound like he's using the thoughts of the personal director (who values Shaub at #15) to prove his inital sentence that his ceiling for only a few teams is a 2nd but the rest a 3rd. Meh i dunno if that makes sense but that's how i first interepreted it

ATLDirtyBirds
02-26-2007, 06:39 PM
I would trade Shaub in a second for a first. Hell I'd trade him in a second for 2nd and a 3rd.

d34ng3l021
02-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Ooh. Schaub could sit on the bench the whole year, and make like 2 million dollars, and then go into FA and make big bucks?! Without us getting anything!?

Well theres a scenario I dont want happening.

Shiver
02-27-2007, 01:29 AM
Him sitting on the bench, when this team has desperate holes, is a position I do not want to be in. Hopefully a team steps up to the plate.

SimonRath
02-27-2007, 06:25 AM
Who do you want to trade Schaub to cause you think we woudl get the most back..

Carolina(Delhome aint that good)
Cleveland (Dont got any franchise QB)
Detroit (Kitna is good for now but he's old)
Jacksonville(seems like it aint gonna happen)
Kansas City (Trent green and Huard are not gonna be in the league in 3 years, but they did get Croyle)
Minnesota (I think Jackson could be really good, but does Minnesota have the patience to wait)
Oakland (THEY GOT NO ONE, but probably gonna get Russell)
Tampa Bay (Sims and a franchise QB, but i heard rumors they gonna get Garcia for now and draft a QB in the later rounds)

iloxygenil
02-27-2007, 09:26 AM
I don't care who we trade him to really as long as we get a fair compensation for him. I want him gone

SimonRath
02-27-2007, 09:54 AM
I don't care who we trade him to really as long as we get a fair compensation for him. I want him gone

I like him as a player but we have absolutly no use for him unless Vick sucks rear end this year.

I heard that the Browns may be willing to offer a 2007 2nd and a 2008 2nd round pick.. that would be pretty darn good