PDA

View Full Version : BCS Playoff

DChess
04-16-2008, 03:00 PM
im doing my research paper on modifying the bcs, and i just need you guys to vote on which type of system you would like to see. i need at least 50, so if you read this it would be nice if you voted. gracias

Turtlepower
04-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Plus-1 is the easiest way for it to go. Not only does it allow for a dramatic change to not happen, but it also makes the regular season still have the same weight.

soybean
04-16-2008, 03:10 PM
what class is this for?

DChess
04-16-2008, 03:13 PM
english 102, its our research arguement, most people are doing immigration and **** like that but i thought i would do this. its easy to write about something if you are interested in it.

Shane P. Hallam
04-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Hey DChess,

For best results, I'd suggest explaining them all.

nfrillman
04-16-2008, 03:30 PM
What would a plus-2 mean. I am not a big fan of the plus-1 format because it still falls to polls to give a team a chance. Like this year for instance, LSU was #1 in both polls at the end of the year, but West Virginia, Georgia, USC, Missouri, Kansas, and Hawaii all finished the year with the same or less number of losses. Ohio State was not included due to LSU just beating them. So lets eliminate the teams that lost their bowl games. That still leaves Georgia, USC, Missouri, and Kansas all saying we deserve the plus-1. So what does that mean? That means the polls choose who gets a chance......meaning we still wouldn't really know for sure who the best was. If you can still change your poll question I think you should add my favorite set up. An 8 team playoff. My favorite method of determining the 8 teams is including the 6 BCS Conference Champions, and two at-large teams (if a non-BCS conference team is undefeated they are guaranteed an at-large bid). That means the regular season still matters because you had better win your conference or else there are only two spots to hope for. Another wish of mine would be forcing every conference to play a conference championship game or have no conferences play one. It is simply not fair to the conferences that have to play one more tough game.

DChess
04-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Hey DChess,

For best results, I'd suggest explaining them all.

i assumed everybody knew.

plus-1: they would take the 4 best teams in the bcs and have #4 and #1 face off in a bcs bowl, such as the rose or orange, or what have you. Then #2 & #3 would do this as well, then the winner of each games plays in an extra game, "a plus one" to determine the national champion. so when auburn got snubbed out of the championship game it would have looked something like this

USC vs Va Tech
Oklahoma Vs Auburn

a plus 2 would just take the particpants of the 4 major bcs games and do exactly like the plus one just bigger. so they would take the 6 major conferences plus the 2 at-larges and then seed them. after that they would play 2 extra games so this year it might have looked something like this

OSU vs West Virginia
LSU vs Kansas
Va Tech vs USC
Oklahoma vs Georgia

then heres a site explaining their 16 team

http://truenationalchampion.com/how-our-playoff-works

Rjspartan
04-16-2008, 03:52 PM
i would rather have a playoff system.

kwilk103
04-16-2008, 04:03 PM
16 team playoff

seems the easiest and makes everyone happy; plus 1 wouldnt have solved anything this year---ou, mizzou, wvu, kansas, hawaii all had arguments to be in the plus 1 system

adschofield
04-16-2008, 04:06 PM
plus-2 FTW

16-team playoff is too big, plus-one is too small

etk
04-16-2008, 06:55 PM
I like the Plus 2 as well.

nfrillman
04-16-2008, 09:40 PM
I like the Plus 2 as well.

I voted plus-2 as well. I think it would have been better to just say 8 team playoff, because people are leary of that term "plus-X", but that magical word "playoff" makes everyone warm and fuzzy inside.

etk
04-16-2008, 10:59 PM
I voted plus-2 as well. I think it would have been better to just say 8 team playoff, because people are leary of that term "plus-X", but that magical word "playoff" makes everyone warm and fuzzy inside.

haha sad but very true. Unless you think things through playoff always sounds more appealing.

P-L
04-16-2008, 11:07 PM
I think an eight team playoffs (Plus Two) is an ideal, but a Plus One is the most practical at this point.

BeerBaron
04-16-2008, 11:32 PM
its been my opinion that a playoff between the winners of the 6 BCS divisions and 2 at large teams would be fantastic. not sure which that was...plus 2 maybe?

i voted 16 team playoff because thats what id like to see the most though, lol. that would be nice....but i think the 8 team one is most practical

Brent
04-17-2008, 07:48 AM
16 teams, ftw

Turtlepower
04-17-2008, 12:44 PM
I think an eight team playoffs (Plus Two) is an ideal, but a Plus One is the most practical at this point.

Exactly the point. To get the most conferences to go along with this, it has to at least start out as a plus-1, but let's also make other factors brought into place...

A Plus-2 would have nullified end of the season losses by WVU this year and USC the year before because they would both still be top-8. The is the problem with a plus-2. It makes the regular season matter less.

DChess
04-28-2008, 06:25 PM
thanks for the help guys, i didnt get as many votes as i wanted but this worked out fine. my teacher liked my paper which was suprising because she knows very little baout sports and is a feminist.

etk
04-28-2008, 06:36 PM
No problem. I wish there was a way to get more people browsing the College forum. It's surprising how little activity goes on in here for an NFL Draft site, and this poll shows it.

DChess
04-28-2008, 06:48 PM
No problem. I wish there was a way to get more people browsing the College forum. It's surprising how little activity goes on in here for an NFL Draft site, and this poll shows it.

yeah i know thats what i was thinking, it kinda makes me feel like a lot of people dont actually watch a lot of these prospects throughout the year and base their opinions on other ppls rankings

MidwayMonster31
05-01-2008, 11:26 AM
I would say plus-2. Just go back to the old bowl system with traditional match-ups and use those winners for a final four. It also rewards winning the conference.

RCAChainGang
05-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Plus 2 is my vote

skinzzfan25
05-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Plus 1 or 2.

A 16 team playoff would be too many games.

BaLLiN
05-01-2008, 09:50 PM
i assumed everybody knew.

plus-1: they would take the 4 best teams in the bcs and have #4 and #1 face off in a bcs bowl, such as the rose or orange, or what have you. Then #2 & #3 would do this as well, then the winner of each games plays in an extra game, "a plus one" to determine the national champion. so when auburn got snubbed out of the championship game it would have looked something like this

USC vs Va Tech
Oklahoma Vs Auburn

a plus 2 would just take the particpants of the 4 major bcs games and do exactly like the plus one just bigger. so they would take the 6 major conferences plus the 2 at-larges and then seed them. after that they would play 2 extra games so this year it might have looked something like this

OSU vs West Virginia
LSU vs Kansas
Va Tech vs USC
Oklahoma vs Georgia

then heres a site explaining their 16 team

http://truenationalchampion.com/how-our-playoff-works

I suggest you take that^^^ and put it in the first post, just so people know what they are voting for. I almost voted just because i wanted to click stuff :p

and i voted Plus 2, 16 team playoffs is too hard, you cant just suddenly take thousands of NCAA players and make them play, what, 2 or 3 extra games? There are alot of injuries and extending the season that much changes many things in mentality.

iworshipbender
05-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Plus 1 or 2.

A 16 team playoff would be too many games.

BLASPHEMY!!! THERE CAN NEVER BE TOO MANY FOOTBALL GAMES!!!

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

GB12
05-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Not many share these feelings, but I like it how it is and don't want to see a playoff system of any kind.

skinzzfan25
05-02-2008, 05:37 AM
BLASPHEMY!!! THERE CAN NEVER BE TOO MANY FOOTBALL GAMES!!!

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

Every game they go out there and beat eachother down so much. If they do move to this system, conference championships should be removed then.

DragonFireKai
05-02-2008, 05:52 AM
Every game they go out there and beat eachother down so much. If they do move to this system, conference championships should be removed then.

Conference championship games should be removed anyways. They were just money grubbing ploys to sell more tickets and merch.

duckseason
05-02-2008, 06:39 AM
Conference championship games should be removed anyways. They were just money grubbing ploys to sell more tickets and merch.
I agree. If you have 11 conference opponents and a 12 game schedule, there's no damn excuse for not playing 11 conference opponents.

Win your conference and then see how you stack up against the rest of the country. There's no need for all these scrimmage auto-wins that big schools love to litter their September slate with. LSU would be just fine if they eliminated Tulane from the meat of their schedule and played Kentucky instead. And if you're Kentucky, well I think you'd rather not miss out on the big-ticket games just so you can play the mighty Norfolk State from time to time. If the SEC wants LSU to play Tulane rather than Kentucky, then add Tulane to the conference and drop the Wildcats.

As it is, you have teams like Wisconsin missing out on either tOSU or Michigan for 4 consecutive years. How the hell does that happen? I'd say that I'd love for my Ducks to be able to skip Cal or SC for the past four years so we could clock an auto-win instead, but it's just not true. Those are the games that everybody looks forward to. Not just the fans, but the players and coaches and media etc.

And when you have the unnecessary conference championship games, it's often a replay of an earlier matchup between conference opponents. What happens when they split? Or when the loser of the conference "championship" still gets a bid to the NCG over the team that beat them, ala Nebraska over Colorado or Oklahoma over K-state? How exactly was that game meaningful at all? Championship? Huh? You mean meaningless-ass game that nobody should give a crap about because the result has zero bearing on who will be crowned as the superior team? To hell with that. Play your entire conference, determine an obvious winner based on that, and then submit your best team to a pool of the other conference winners to determine a true champ.