PDA

View Full Version : Major Announcement regarding NFL in Los Angeles

Bills2083
04-16-2008, 09:17 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8042930?MSNHPHMA

Roski plans 'major announcement' about NFL in L.A.

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Edward P. Roski Jr., a part owner of the Kings and Lakers who has spent several years trying to lure an NFL team to the Los Angeles area, has scheduled a news conference at Staples Center to make a "major announcement" concerning the league and L.A.

On Thursday, Roski will unveil his latest concept for a stadium in the City of Industry, near the southern intersection of the 57 and 60 freeways some 20 miles east of Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Times reported on its Web site Wednesday.

The stadium would be surrounded by a high-end shopping mall, already in the works, the newspaper said.

Roski didn't immediately return a phone call from The Associated Press.
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the AP that the league wasn't involved in Thursday's news conference.

Los Angeles, the second-largest market in the country, has been without an NFL team since 1995, when the Raiders (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67050) moved back to Oakland after playing 13 years at the Los Angeles Coliseum and the Rams (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67051) moved from Anaheim to St. Louis.

Los Angeles lost out to Houston for an expansion franchise since that time, and the league hasn't made relocating to the area a top priority in recent years.

Proposals have been made for numerous stadium sites in the area over the years including the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl in Pasadena as well as in Irwindale, Inglewood, Carson and Anaheim.
Roski and Philip Anschutz, the head of AEG, headed up construction of Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles. The Lakers, Kings and Arena Football League's Los Angeles Avengers play their home games at the facility, which opened in October 1999. AEG is not involved in Thursday's news conference either, according to a spokesman.

JagHombre22
04-16-2008, 09:32 PM
hmm...is this announcement just going to be them announcing that they are going to build a stadium?

that would be a waste of time...

BaLLiN
04-16-2008, 09:40 PM
expansion team?

The Dynasty
04-16-2008, 09:46 PM
I would hope for expansion teams to toronto and Los Angelas rather than move two teams like Buffalo.

The Legend
04-16-2008, 09:51 PM
so 33 teams would just be werid even 34 wont be that great

unless the 3 teams per divison 5 conference

neko4
04-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Los Angeles is not a pro football town
Im sorry so an LA people here, but its not

ChezPower4
04-16-2008, 09:53 PM
a new team would be nice...

Strongside
04-16-2008, 09:55 PM
I would hope for expansion teams to toronto and Los Angelas rather than move two teams like Buffalo.

If Toronto got a team I would get a boner

neko4
04-16-2008, 09:56 PM
if they made a new team i would apply several times for the GM spot

and trade a 3rd round pick for backup WR's lol

GB12
04-16-2008, 10:45 PM
a new team would be nice...
No it wouldn't, it would be awful.

Aftermath
04-16-2008, 10:55 PM
We dont need any more teams.

nobodyinparticular
04-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Seeing as how my college is about 10 minutes away from this freeway intersection, all I have to say is that CalTrans had better start widening those freeways right now if they want this to work. These freeways, especially the 57 are already too small to hold the traffic that goes on it. The 210 (which connects to the 57 from Pasadena) is also one of the worst and would need to be addressed as well.

For an NFL team to survive in the L.A. area, the planning must include a way to keep the fans from having to deal with the L.A. gridlock. If traffic becomes a problem, most people won't go.

P-L
04-16-2008, 11:03 PM
32 teams is pretty much perfect. If anything, it's too many. No need to add any more.

eaglesfan_45
04-16-2008, 11:06 PM
No no no, don't bring it to Los Angeles, bring it to Las Vegas .

nobodyinparticular
04-16-2008, 11:08 PM

Bringing a major sports team to Sin City is a bad idea IMO.

PackerLegend
04-16-2008, 11:15 PM
so 33 teams would just be werid even 34 wont be that great

unless the 3 teams per divison 5 conference

Another team shouldn't and hopefully wont be added. Moving a team would be fine but messing up 8 divisions with 4 teams would be stupid. I don't know how you got 3 teams in a 5 division conference that would be 15 teams. If u meant AFC+NFC both having 5 divisions that still would only be 30 teams.

TitleTown088
04-16-2008, 11:23 PM
32 teams is pretty much perfect. If anything, it's too many. No need to add any more.
That's why it's necessary to get this damn purple team away from me instead of adding another.

neko4
04-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Itd be funny if the vikes went to LA since thats what the lakers did

Forenci
04-17-2008, 12:03 AM

Would never happen. The NFL doesn't want to be associated with gambling, and thus, Las Vegas (the heart of all gambling) wouldn't make that possible.

I don't see the point of having a public press conference over something the NFL hasn't even looked at, much less considered.

slightlyaraiderfan
04-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Seeing as how my college is about 10 minutes away from this freeway intersection, all I have to say is that CalTrans had better start widening those freeways right now if they want this to work. These freeways, especially the 57 are already too small to hold the traffic that goes on it. The 210 (which connects to the 57 from Pasadena) is also one of the worst and would need to be addressed as well.

For an NFL team to survive in the L.A. area, the planning must include a way to keep the fans from having to deal with the L.A. gridlock. If traffic becomes a problem, most people won't go.
Where do you go to school? I'm about 5 mins away from city of industry.

The first thing that popped in my head when i first read was concerning traffic.

JT Jag
04-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Move the Bills to Toronto and assassinate Al Davis and move the Raiders back to Los Angeles.

Problem solved!

M.O.T.H.
04-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Expansion drafts and the entire process is always fun but, I agree the league's pretty set w/ 32.

slightlyaraiderfan
04-17-2008, 01:04 AM
http://static.losangelesfootballstadium.com/photo-1.jpg

http://static.losangelesfootballstadium.com/photo-5.jpg

http://static.losangelesfootballstadium.com/photo-3.jpg

http://static.losangelesfootballstadium.com/photo-2.jpg

http://static.losangelesfootballstadium.com/photo-4.jpg

JagHombre22
04-17-2008, 02:16 AM
that's actually pretty badass looking...

Locc*
04-17-2008, 02:34 AM
maybe a team is relocating

tEk
04-17-2008, 02:34 AM
i'm not opposed to an nfl franchise being that close to my house. actually would enjoy that.

Brent
04-17-2008, 07:50 AM
We dont need any more teams.
Yep, the number is perfectly even right now. Unless they are moving a team that is getting poor attendance? But I cannot think of one.

bigbluedefense
04-17-2008, 09:00 AM
i don't want an expansion team, or 2 for that matter.

the league is watered down as is, adding 2 teams would water it down even more. i don't want that. LA is too fickle anyway, they don't deserve a team.

If a team moves there, so be it. But im heavily opposed to expansion teams.

Ware_HITStick
04-17-2008, 09:06 AM
thats a nice stadium drawing

MaxV
04-17-2008, 09:12 AM
I think a relocation of an existing team to LA is very possible.

Bills2083
04-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Hey Sarf, where did you find those pics?

Flyboy
04-17-2008, 09:20 AM
sarf and I will be at the new stadium picking up all the bitches.

bigbluedefense
04-17-2008, 09:32 AM
I think a relocation of an existing team to LA is very possible.

Didn't the Saints want to move to LA? That would be terrible if that happened.

I doubt it now though. If one team were to move, I guess i could see Buffalo relocating there over Toronto, or perhaps Jacksonville, Carolina, or ? i really have no idea, im just throwing names out there.

RaiderFan
04-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Leave the Raiders in oakland.
Move
Buffalo
Jacksonville
minnesota
Atlanta
San Diego

MaxV
04-17-2008, 10:16 AM
There is really no team in the NFL that is a prime candidate for a relocation.

As much as I hate to say it, Saints were probably the closest, but I doubt they'd move.

I hope it won't an expansion because the current alignment is PERFECT.

steelernation77
04-17-2008, 10:25 AM
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/09/26/PH2006092601351.jpg

I think the answer lies somewhere in those 10,000 covered seats.

Flyboy
04-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Didn't the Saints want to move to LA? That would be terrible if that happened.

That was San Antonio during the year of the whole Katrina disaster.

JagHombre22
04-17-2008, 08:23 PM
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/09/26/PH2006092601351.jpg

I think the answer lies somewhere in those 10,000 covered seats.

well that's just ********...the seats were covered because the Stadium at capacity fits 80,000...and to think a small market team like Jacksonville could continue to fill it, after the excitement of landing a team wore off, is dumb...so 10,000 seats were covered...

Weaver said as long as he owns the Jaguars they will never move...he's deeply rooted in the community and has no intentions of selling the franchise either...

slightlyaraiderfan
04-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Hey Sarf, where did you find those pics?
http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com/

sarf and I will be at the new stadium picking up all the bitches.
Sounds like a plan Fly, hit me on the hip.

Flyboy
04-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Sounds like a plan Fly, hit me on the hip.

LOL, good one. You got me.

steelernation77
04-17-2008, 11:02 PM
well that's just ********...the seats were covered because the Stadium at capacity fits 80,000...and to think a small market team like Jacksonville could continue to fill it, after the excitement of landing a team wore off, is dumb...so 10,000 seats were covered...

Weaver said as long as he owns the Jaguars they will never move...he's deeply rooted in the community and has no intentions of selling the franchise either...

Being a small market is not an excuse for an NFL franchise to have to cover 10,000 seats, especially a franchise that has been as good as the Jaguars. The fan base just isn't there, even with the seats full the Jags have some of the worst attendance in the NFL percentage-wise and still get multiple games blacked out.

If the owner is committed, than so be it, but the Jags just don't have the fan base that they should, regardless of market size. If anything the market size itself should be reason to move.

MetSox17
04-18-2008, 10:39 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8043136/Stadium-plans-unveiled-to-lure-team-to-L.A.

According to this some of the possible teams that would be interested in relocation would be the Minnesota Vikings, San Diego Chargers, New Orleans Saints and Jacksonville Jaguars.

The one that would make the most sense would be the Chargers, since they would stay in the state. Most of their fan-base in that area would already be established and they'd get a nice new stadium.

Don't count out the Vikes though..

Young Nasty Man
04-18-2008, 12:35 PM
that stadium has more press boxes then every stadium in the NFL put together...jesus christ

As for teams relocating I read something about Jacksonville, San Diego, and New Orleans....

Of those teams, the most probable one would be Chargers, its not that far of a move and they are in desperate need of a new stadium considering Qualcomm is the equivalent of poo on a stick...

OzTitan
04-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Why are the Jaguars labeled "small market" exactly? Isn't Jacksonville the highest population city in Florida, by almost double?

I know there were already 2 NFL teams down there, but I'm not sure I'd call it a "small market".

JagHombre22
04-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Why are the Jaguars labeled "small market" exactly? Isn't Jacksonville the highest population city in Florida, by almost double?

I know there were already 2 NFL teams down there, but I'm not sure I'd call it a "small market".

no, jacksonville is not the most populated....it's got a lot of people, but cities such as Orlando, Miami and even Tampa have more people per capita....

Jacksonville is the largest city in the United States, land wise....the small market refers to the revenue it pulls in...Jacksonville is mainly a middle class city, blue collar town...

and in response that about the Jaguars not being able to sell out tickets....they do sell out tickets but in a majority of the cases in which games were blacked out the games were sold out after the games were blacked out...

I agree that the Jaguars shouldn't have problems selling tickets with them being very good for the past few seasons....but I have a feeling that will change this season....

Brent
04-18-2008, 03:39 PM
I would be weird if the Vikes, Chargers or Saints were to move to LA. I'm so used to those teams being associated with those towns. At least with the Jags they were a recent addition to the league and not an AFL or original NFL team. Granted, the Chargers used to be in LA when they were first founded. The Saints almost moved to San Antonio... Vikes were another pre-merger NFL team. Just weird to think about. I wonder if they would change their logo/team name?

JagHombre22
04-18-2008, 04:37 PM
I really don't think the Jags would move to LA....they would almost have to realign the divisions for that to happen...

OzTitan
04-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Actually they could just make the Jags an AFC West team and move KC to the AFC South, or the Jags an NFC West team and the Rams in the AFC South. They'd be breaking some pretty significant rivalries though (more so with the former, AFCW is just too historical to do that to).

And I guess the net isn't a very accurate tool to research city populations because the only sources I can find suggest Jax has considerably more people than any other Florida city.

yodabear
04-18-2008, 07:06 PM
They should move the Rams back to LA since no one in St. Louis gives a donkeys boner about them.

KCJ58
04-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Inglewood or Carson would be great, that's the two closet to me

OzTitan
04-18-2008, 07:10 PM
They should move the Rams back to LA since no one in St. Louis gives a donkeys boner about them.

From a divisional standpoint, that definitely makes sense. I.e. they could stay in the NFC West.

Smooth Criminal
04-18-2008, 07:41 PM
That stadium is kick ass. I can easily see an owner relocating a team there to take advantage of that stadium. Looks like a great spot for a superbowl.

yourfavestoner
04-18-2008, 07:43 PM

Andy from Muncie, IN: I keep hearing about small-market teams in the NFL. Seattle keeps getting this name as well as the Jaguars. I understand Jacksonville isn't a Chicago or New York, but is it always city size that determines this? Would you consider Green Bay a small-market team despite historical success?

Vic: Market size is determined solely by the market's population, as it pertains to TV households. Jacksonville is 52nd in the country in market size. Harrisburg, Pa., and Birmingham, Ala., are each significantly larger in market size. What else are we going to call Jacksonville? Small now but soon to become large? OK, I'll buy that. There's no disgrace, however, in being a small market. Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh are considered to be small markets but the Steelers-Bengals and Steelers-Colts games were the highest-rated games of their respective playoff weekends. That means games involving three small-market teams got higher TV ratings than games involving teams from New York, Chicago, Washington, Boston, Denver and Tampa. A lack of market size can be overcome by the size of a team's fan base. That's how the Packers do it. The Steelers have a huge fan base and Pittsburgh offers a large corporate community to drive sponsorship sales for the Steelers. Those are the two main features of a big market: huge fan base and a large corporate community. If you have those two ingredients, you're big, regardless of the population of your market.

from Jaguars.com

neko4
04-18-2008, 07:47 PM
That stadium is kick ass. I can easily see an owner relocating a team there to take advantage of that stadium. Looks like a great spot for a superbowl.

Now for my crazy idea of the day:

Maybe they should play all the superbowls, BCS national championships, I-AA champs, D2, D3 Champs, one other bowl game, one raiders game, one chargers game, and one niners game there each year. And maybe the california state championship. Thats like 8 games and they could do concerts and other stuff their too make money

MetSox17
04-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Now for my crazy idea of the day:

Maybe they should play all the superbowls, BCS national championships, I-AA champs, D2, D3 Champs, one other bowl game, one raiders game, one chargers game, and one niners game there each year. And maybe the california state championship. Thats like 8 games and they could do concerts and other stuff their too make money

That is indeed very crazy. Insane actually.

There would be no possible way in the world that Owners would allow that.

They'd be giving up WAAY too much money by not having the chance to host
the Superbowl in their city. Not to mention all the money the cities' economy brings in thanks to the humongous party the superbowl is. Not to mention all the money companies bring in to the NCAA by sponsoring their 1000 bowl games.

It would be California's dream cause the businesses there would absolutely rape the money teet that the superbowl is, but i have a better chance of knocking up Scarlett Johansson and Adriana Lima in the same night than this does of happening.

bofadabizzles
04-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Actually they could just make the Jags an AFC West team and move KC to the AFC South, or the Jags an NFC West team and the Rams in the AFC South. They'd be breaking some pretty significant rivalries though (more so with the former, AFCW is just too historical to do that to).

And I guess the net isn't a very accurate tool to research city populations because the only sources I can find suggest Jax has considerably more people than any other Florida city.

Methinks what JagHombre is refering to is the metro area for each city and you're finding the statistics for the city itself.

Usually when the population is tallied for Tampa, the city, it is only counting the downtown area and right around Ray Jay Stadium, which has a population of just over 300,000 people. However, the actual Tampa Bay Metro Area is made up of Tampa / St. Pete / Clearwater areas, which takes the population total to over 3 million people.

It works the same way for Miami. I don't know of the top of my head exactly what comprises the Miami-Dade Metro area, but the population is larger than the Tampa Bay area.

Jacksonville is the most populated city by itself in Florida and in the top 5 on the east coast, but the Jacksonville Metro area population is like half the size of the Tampa Bay area.

JagHombre22
04-19-2008, 02:56 AM
Methinks what JagHombre is refering to is the metro area for each city and you're finding the statistics for the city itself.

Usually when the population is tallied for Tampa, the city, it is only counting the downtown area and right around Ray Jay Stadium, which has a population of just over 300,000 people. However, the actual Tampa Bay Metro Area is made up of Tampa / St. Pete / Clearwater areas, which takes the population total to over 3 million people.

It works the same way for Miami. I don't know of the top of my head exactly what comprises the Miami-Dade Metro area, but the population is larger than the Tampa Bay area.

Jacksonville is the most populated city by itself in Florida and in the top 5 on the east coast, but the Jacksonville Metro area population is like half the size of the Tampa Bay area.

precisely....but I'll refer to stoner's post earlier on this page...

bofadabizzles
04-19-2008, 03:35 AM
precisely....but I'll refer to stoner's post earlier on this page...

Yeah... I saw that right after I posted mine. Go Bucs!

yourfavestoner
02-01-2011, 02:15 PM
The ball is rolling. The stadium is going into downtown LA.

With the naming rights done, the private group planning the stadium got their first batch of major funding (overall, it's a 30 year deal worth $600 million - the most for naming rights ever.

They're planning on starting as soon as the new CBA is finished.

http://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/news/2011/02/01/aeg-stadium-now-officially-farmers-field.html

bsaza2358
02-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Yeah, $350mm of that funding is an LA municipal bond. Given the fact that California's state bonds are graded as high risk junk, I am not certain that LA will be able to underwrite this bond. The bond market is choked already with a lot of municipal crap. $350mm more is a lot, and I doubt there will be much of an appetite for it. Given that, I'm not sure that this stadium will necessarily get built with public money.

bigbluedefense
02-01-2011, 02:23 PM
I just hope that if a team does in fact go to LA, it's a current team. I don't want any more expansion.

If the league is all about money (which it is), it would be wise to put a team in LA, Toronto (Buffalo), and Portland.

bigbluedefense
02-01-2011, 02:25 PM
I personally don't want a team in LA, I don't think they deserve one, but I can understand why they would push for it.

I say just move San Diego to LA and be done with it. Same fan base. They can drive an hour to the stadium. It's not the end of the world.

yourfavestoner
02-01-2011, 02:27 PM
I personally don't want a team in LA, I don't think they deserve one, but I can understand why they would push for it.

I say just move San Diego to LA and be done with it. Same fan base. They can drive an hour to the stadium. It's not the end of the world.

Eh, I still maintain the previous NFL stints in LA were systematically doomed and had no chance of succeeding.

It will most likely be the Chargers, though. They can't (and won't) get a new stadium in SD, and, like you mentioned, it makes sense logistically.

bsaza2358
02-01-2011, 02:32 PM
San Diego has even less viability to build a stadium in terms of space, materials, and financial resources. The move to LA would benefit the NFL and the franchise. Even so, I question the availability of public money to construct that stadium.

Mr.Regular
02-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Looks like San Diego will be first in line to move. Big time stadium issues with no hope in sight.
Only other realistic options are Minnesota, Oakland, and MAYBE Jacksonville.

bigbluedefense
02-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Eh, I still maintain the previous NFL stints in LA were systematically doomed and had no chance of succeeding.

It will most likely be the Chargers, though. They can't (and won't) get a new stadium in SD, and, like you mentioned, it makes sense logistically.

I don't know man. I'd watch the Giants play on a high school basketball court, I just think fans out there are too bandwagon'ish.

I still can't get over the SD/NYJ playoff game, where SD barely sold out the game, and a good 35-40% of the crowd were Jets fans. That's embarassing.

If the people won't support their team during the playoffs, what's gonna happen when they suck?

bsaza2358
02-01-2011, 02:35 PM
LA is the second biggest media market in the country and has no NFL team. At the very least, moving from SD to LA is a boost in the TV contract when it comes to negotiations. It is a money move for the entire league. Expansion would be another money move, but that would weaken the product substantially.

Brent
02-01-2011, 02:59 PM
San Diego would be perfect for the move.

GB12
02-01-2011, 03:45 PM
I say just move San Diego to LA and be done with it. Same fan base. They can drive an hour to the stadium. It's not the end of the world.Exactly. It wouldn't screw over a whole fan base like Minnesota or Buffalo would. They have to drive a bit, so what. And I know that California is huge, but no state should get 4 teams. I think three is too much as it is, although that's worse with Florida.

Smooth Criminal
02-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Stadium looks awesome. I really don't care if there is a team in LA or not, as long as it is not an expansion team.

yourfavestoner
02-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Yeah, $350mm of that funding is an LA municipal bond. Given the fact that California's state bonds are graded as high risk junk, I am not certain that LA will be able to underwrite this bond. The bond market is choked already with a lot of municipal crap. $350mm more is a lot, and I doubt there will be much of an appetite for it. Given that, I'm not sure that this stadium will necessarily get built with public money.

Ya, state bonds are largely how the Staples Center was financed and who knows if they're a viable option right now. The guys running the show, though, seem pretty adamant about getting this done keep insisting that it will be a completely private venture and they'll cover excess costs. Financing it could prove troublesome, but they'll find a way to get the money from somewhere.

Also FWIW, the Chargers are originally from Los Angeles.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Farmers Field. Hmm...

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/ae/fullj.a8717dcb1f7ddc276d4746bdec5051c2/a8717dcb1f7ddc276d4746bdec5051c2-getty-.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/79/fullj.e1cb899330c04da2810d4e0b5e11a996/e1cb899330c04da2810d4e0b5e11a996-getty-.jpg

bsaza2358
02-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Ya, state bonds are largely how the Staples Center was financed and who knows if they're a viable option right now. The guys running the show, though, seem pretty adamant about getting this done keep insisting that it will be a completely private venture and they'll cover excess costs. Financing it could prove troublesome, but they'll find a way to get the money from somewhere.

Also FWIW, the Chargers are originally from Los Angeles.

The state remains in a budget crisis driven by entitlements, principally public worker pensions. The state and city workers get really expensive pensions that were easy to fund in good times, but now when the real estate market crashed and they raised taxes on the uber wealthy, who moved out of state, it just made things worse. They have limited borrowing capacity. It is going to be hard to get investors to justify buying these bonds, though a guarantee from the development group will probably help keep the rate lower and get more interest from institutional investors.

yourfavestoner
02-01-2011, 04:39 PM
The state remains in a budget crisis driven by entitlements, principally public worker pensions. The state and city workers get really expensive pensions that were easy to fund in good times, but now when the real estate market crashed and they raised taxes on the uber wealthy, who moved out of state, it just made things worse. They have limited borrowing capacity. It is going to be hard to get investors to justify buying these bonds, though a guarantee from the development group will probably help keep the rate lower and get more interest from institutional investors.

Don't get me started on this haha. The public employee unions have an absolute death grip on the state.

bsaza2358
02-01-2011, 04:44 PM
I wasn't trying to start a political debate, but it is a reality. The commitments made to public workers is a major cash flow issue in the future. The lack of future cash flows available to pay debts is a huge reason why the credit rating of California is so low. Eventually, the market will not invest in these bonds at any rate of return. That might not happen with this stadium, but it is coming soon.

Raiderz4Life
02-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Meh...if it's not the Raiders I don't really give a rats ass who LA brings....won't go to the games anyways. Only positive I would see is bringing the Chargers and then I can watch the Raiders when they come play the Chargers

kalbears13
02-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Moving the chargers wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Half the people in socal are chargers fans anyways. It would suck for the people in San Diego but the drive isn't horrible.

yourfavestoner
02-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Moving the chargers wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Half the people in socal are chargers fans anyways. It would suck for the people in San Diego but the drive isn't horrible.

Thing is that the majority of people in San Diego don't care. And the ones who do will make the drive.

Stranger
02-01-2011, 05:39 PM
This article is a useful read on the situation.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jan/21/ls-wealth-governors-plan-toxic-stadium/

The quote below is in regard to building a new stadium in San Diego.

“We’re done, finished (if Brown’s proposal becomes policy),” Chargers spokesman Mark Fabiani said Friday. “Redevelopment money is an essential part of the downtown concept and without it, the project is dead.”

yourfavestoner
02-01-2011, 05:49 PM
This article is a useful read on the situation.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jan/21/ls-wealth-governors-plan-toxic-stadium/

The quote below is in regard to building a new stadium in San Diego.

Very good article.

If the city of LA can't sell the bonds, I'd be more than happy for the City of Industry proposal to get the stadium, as it would be about six miles from my house. Truth be told, I think it makes more sense from an infrastructure standpoint, as there is a **** ton of land there, the freeway system at that location can bring a ton of people in and out quickly (unlike downtown LA), and the City of Industry is centered around, well, industry and business.

On the other hand, I can see why the powers at be are pushing for downtown LA, as it has more sex appeal. The company that did it transformed the area around Staples center from an utter ghetto to a place where you can actually take your kids if you want to.

Either way, it seems like a team is coming regardless and the ball will really get moving after the new CBA is agreed to.

Brent
02-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Either way, it seems like a team is coming regardless and the ball will really get moving after the new CBA is agreed to.
so it begs the question, do you remain a Jags fan? haha

yourfavestoner
02-01-2011, 06:13 PM
disagree. i think LA is worth more to the TV contract without a team. you can always play the premier games there. if they have a team? suddenly you might be stuck watching a 4-12 team for one of the games. given that LA can't support a non-winning team to begin with, i can't imagine they'd actually tune into that game.

Eh, the NFL and networks have already been conditioning us for it. Once the Chargers started doing well again, the NFL decided Los Angeles was an extended media market of SD, so we've had Charger games for the last few years.

so it begs the question, do you remain a Jags fan? haha

It depends on who comes.

kalbears13
02-01-2011, 06:17 PM
I hope it's an AFC team so I can see the Browns more.

Brent
02-01-2011, 06:52 PM
"Excited for the new LA based NFL team, I can't wait to see which player is forced to marry a Kardashian."
-Paul Scheer

brat316
02-01-2011, 09:21 PM
"Excited for the new LA based NFL team, I can't wait to see which player is forced to marry a Kardashian."
-Paul Scheer

hhahah, haha.

bsaza2358
02-02-2011, 11:04 AM
disagree. i think LA is worth more to the TV contract without a team. you can always play the premier games there. if they have a team? suddenly you might be stuck watching a 4-12 team for one of the games. given that LA can't support a non-winning team to begin with, i can't imagine they'd actually tune into that game.

I actually think the idea of markets doesn't matter anymore. Even so, the TV execs and negotiators still use the concept to try to attract the biggest ad revenues. With the Sunday Ticket package, local fan bases mean little to the bottom line. The big difference will be in overall revenues. The stadium will make the owners richer for shared revenues and private revenues. This probably bodes well for the future salary cap. In the end, LA should be able to support an NFL team, given its populace, but it has yet to be a viable solution.

Brent
02-02-2011, 11:27 AM
does the NFL actually share those revenues, or are the owners able to call the stadium some kind of multi-use facility to keep the money from it out of the pool
I am going to guess that he gets money for multi-use stuff given how hard he has been trying to get any and all football games in that amusement park of a stadium

bsaza2358
02-02-2011, 11:37 AM
you think the sunday ticket package actually has more than a negligible effect on nfl revenues (not trying to be snarky, i've generally assumed the amount directv paid the nfl for it was next to nothing compared to the standard tv contracts)? i'm also not sure how the physical stadium will help all that much... is the NFL getting richer from the cowboys new field or is jerry jones getting richer (again, i guess the question is, does the NFL actually share those revenues, or are the owners able to call the stadium some kind of multi-use facility to keep the money from it out of the pool)?

I think that the tavern licenses on Sunday Ticket are a huge shared revenue source. The individual home license isn't that much. Pretty much any bar with a hope at getting revenue will have to purchase the DirecTV tavern license with the sports packages. That money and price point is set by the NFL. CBS and FOX get a piece of it for airing their broadcasts, but a lot of that money goes to the owners.

Some stadium revenues are shared, but club seats and suites are not right now. It is possible that a percentage of that money will have to be shared under the new CBA. My understanding is that owners share the ticket revenues and most of the food and parking, but suites and local TV/radio deals are not shared. If that changes in the new CBA, that might impact the cap.