PDA

View Full Version : Knapp: Russell "Taking the bull by the horns"

gdamac
04-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Hes done a great job. He came back to camp in shape and nothing near the reported 300-pound range. Hes well away from that. But what hes done is hes shown a dedication to the team. Hes in meetings for an hour and 45 minutes three days a week in the classroom with myself and the quarterbacks coach, John DeFilippo. And then he goes and works with his teammates on conditioning and strength. And then after that he spends an hour a day doing footwork drills with our quarterbacks coach on the field and throwing to our receivers and tight ends and running backs. So hes really taken the bull by the horns.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/raiders/archives/011958.html

People try to talk about how lazy this guy is, and question how much he loves the game. I truly believe he will answer those questions and silence those critics this year. I am not saying he is going to the pro bowl, but he will earn his respect.

saintsfan912
04-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Man I love seeing this. He was an awesome team player at LSU and know he will be the same in Oakland. I wish I didn't hate the Raiders so much.

slightlyaraiderfan
04-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Whew, good to see this... sometimes coaches exaggerate a bit, but I don't care.

gdamac
04-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Man I love seeing this. He was an awesome team player at LSU and know he will be the same in Oakland. I wish I didn't hate the Raiders so much.

HA! I hope JR tears it up when he returns to the Nahlens, I am trying to go.

saintsfan912
04-17-2008, 09:07 PM
That's not saying much, we have no pass defense. Too bad yalls defense won't be able to touch our offense.

BaLLiN
good, now he can show his worth

gdamac
Whew, good to see this... sometimes coaches exaggerate a bit, but I don't care.

Even if he is doing half that regiment at this point in the season, it's a good thing. But I am sure that is at least close to the truth.

gdamac
04-17-2008, 09:13 PM
That's not saying much, we have no pass defense. Too bad yalls defense won't be able to touch our offense.

I am a little worried that Meachem or Colston may be Hall at a size disadvantage, but after we take Long or Gholston, Brees is gonna be running for his life anyway, so Hall will only have to cover him for a second or two ;)

Of course, we have to stop the run somehow

saintsfan912
04-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Well Gholston doesn't scare me at all. He couldn't do **** against LSU's Oline, what makes you think he can against a pro line?

BamaFalcon59
04-17-2008, 09:20 PM
I think Russell will be fine. Greg Knapp on the other hand, well good luck with him.

BamaFalcon59
04-17-2008, 09:22 PM
I am a little worried that Meachem or Colston may be Hall at a size disadvantage, but after we take Long or Gholston, Brees is gonna be running for his life anyway, so Hall will only have to cover him for a second or two ;)

Of course, we have to stop the run somehow

Hall is fine against big wide receivers. He has issues with the great route runners. Amani Toomer beat him with his routes. Joey Galloway scored the only TD a WR scored on Hall all year on a sluggo, but didn't do much else.

gdamac
04-17-2008, 09:22 PM

He had a sack and at least 4 hurries and a knock down in that game. He didn't dominate, but the biggest myth is that his didn't do sh*t.

Flyboy
04-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Okay, let's stop talking OAK/NO. That's silly. Although, sarf and I should have a bet when that game comes along.

gdamac
04-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Hall is fine against big wide receivers. He has issues with the great route runners. Amani Toomer beat him with his routes. Joey Galloway scored the only TD a WR scored on Hall all year on a sluggo, but didn't do much else.

ok thanks, not sure where I got that, maybe I just assumed because of his height.

saintsfan912
He had a sack on a roll out, not saying much. Either way, yall are probably gonna draft Dorsey or McFadden. Gholsten will prob be gone before 4.

Flyboy

As much as I like Hall, Devery Henderson always beat him like a ragged doll for long TD passes.

gdamac
04-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Okay, let's stop talking OAK/NO. That's silly. Although, sarf and I should have a bet when that game comes along.

Yeah, I am not saying we will win that game, I doubt the Saints will have another year like last year's when the have McAllister back. And if we can't stop the run, he will run all over us.

BamaFalcon59
04-17-2008, 09:29 PM
As much as I like Hall, Devery Henderson always beat him like a ragged doll for long TD passes.

In 2006 he did. Last year Henderson beat Boley for a TD.

no love
04-17-2008, 09:30 PM

The Raiders have the best secondary in the league. Two soon to be probowl linebackers and a defensive end and tackle combo capable of racking up 20 sacks between the two of them.

If the Raiders pick up Glen Dorsey, Sed Ellis, or Vernon Gholston they are going to be a top 5 defense in terms of personnel.

slightlyaraiderfan
04-17-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm down, and we have our time to think of something.

Flyboy
In 2006 he did. Last year Henderson beat Boley for a TD.

I wasn't referring to last year. :)

saintsfan912
And the Saints have a top 5 QB, a great backfield, damn good WRs (If Meachem lives up to his potential this year) and an AWESOME oline. Not saying anything about the pro bowl, just ridiculous to predict before the season even starts.

Flyboy
04-17-2008, 09:35 PM
"An AWESOME oline"?

Ehhh... that's a hyperbole. Our o-line is above average... definitely not "AWESOME", though.

saintsfan912
04-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Well 2 out of 5 are pro bowlers and our LG isn't a pushover either. Stinchcomb isn't anything to write home about but that's where Karney and whoever the TE is steps in.

Flyboy
04-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Well 2 out of 5 are pro bowlers and our LG isn't a pushover either. Stinchcomb isn't anything to write home about but that's where Karney and whoever the TE is steps in.

Nesbit took a big step back last season and even though he looked good in two games, Goodwin is still unproven. And, Stinchcomb? Oh God - don't even get me started.

no love
04-17-2008, 09:48 PM
And the Saints have a top 5 QB, a great backfield, damn good WRs (If Meachem lives up to his potential this year) and an AWESOME oline. Not saying anything about the pro bowl, just ridiculous to predict before the season even starts.

The Saints have as many questions on offense as most teams. They do have good depth at WR but lets face it.. Meachem is a project, Duece is coming back from yet another nasty injury, Reggie Bush struggled when asked to take a larger part in the offense, and the offensive line that was playing at probowl form two years ago severely regressed.

They do have a top 5 qb though. But if the offensive line plays like they did at the beginning of last year he is going to get beat up again.

doingthisinsteadofwork
04-17-2008, 09:50 PM
I have to admitt I thought of Russell as pretty lazy and critisized him for it.
But I am definetely happy to hear this.

gdamac
04-17-2008, 11:28 PM
I have to admitt I thought of Russell as pretty lazy and critisized him for it.
But I am definetely happy to hear this.

He could have done ore to silence rumors way back when he was in school

04-18-2008, 08:10 AM

Take a second look at our defensive backfield.

raiderfan_89
04-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Take a second look at our defensive backfield.
we'll be much better off once we draft one of those DEs.
;]
and another thing
Russell has a lot of potential, but he will never accomplish anything if we don't have an O-line.
I want Jabba the hut pronto...
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n251/iwearthemark/jabba.jpg