PDA

View Full Version : Brian Urlacher mulling retirement?

princefielder28
04-18-2008, 10:54 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mulligan/901866,CST-SPT-bear18.article

Suprised to see this hasn't been posted yet. It would be a big time blow to the Bears if decides to hang 'em up.

Bills2083
04-18-2008, 10:57 AM
I dont think he'll retire, but I think he'll just hold out

T-RICH49
04-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Lance Briggs part deux?

tjpackers
he won't he isn't even that old

MetSox17
lol i was just about to post it actually.

so trade? retirement?

It would make sense if he's too hurt or if he doesn't want to risk injury concerns later on in his life

MetSox17
04-18-2008, 11:00 AM
he won't he isn't even that old

That's a pretty dumb thing to say.
I mean really, age doesn't always dictate retirement genius.

Look at Dan Morgan, he might have to retire this year or next
and he's like 28, 29 at the most.

Yatta!
04-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Last year he was perfectly happy for Briggs to get a big contract, but now he's got one Urlacher wants more money. Seems kinda petty to me. And there's no way he's gonna retire, thats one way to guarantee not getting paid.

MetSox17
04-18-2008, 11:21 AM
gosh, nice job. it doesn't always... and you mention a SINGLE example.... then you call him dumb. that's fantastic.

i'd encourage you to find the number of players who've retired in the last year who were over the age of, say, 32. then find the number under that age. then compare. then ask yourself "who's really the genius? him, for suggesting that urlacher might fit into the vast majority of player retirements, or me, for calling him dumb because 0.003% of players retire due to reasons other than age and i thought i was like, the coolest guy ever for mentioning that like it had any bloody relevance whatso-*******-ever".

I was referring to the fact that he said "he wont retire because he's not old",
how is that not something stupid to say? He's in essence completely disregarding
any type of injury or future injury concerns he might have, just because he's not old. That's a very stupid assumption to make, and that's why i said that. Me referencing Dan Morgan was just an example that one does not need to be old to retire, which Dan Morgan could very well do soon.

bored of education
04-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Well that would suck for Chi Town!

mqtirishfan
04-18-2008, 11:37 AM
gosh, nice job. it doesn't always... and you mention a SINGLE example.... then you call him dumb. that's fantastic.

i'd encourage you to find the number of players who've retired in the last year who were over the age of, say, 32. then find the number under that age. then compare. then ask yourself "who's really the genius? him, for suggesting that urlacher might fit into the vast majority of player retirements, or me, for calling him dumb because 0.003% of players retire due to reasons other than age and i thought i was like, the coolest guy ever for mentioning that like it had any bloody relevance whatso-*******-ever".

Well, I suppose it depends on what constitutes a retirement. Is a guy who gives up football because nobody will sign him retiring from football? If that's the case, I'd imagine that the number of players below 32 would be much, much higher than the number of players above 32.

Oh, I think it's time for Urlacher to hang them up. But, he should wait until the last possible moment so Chicago cannot possibly replace him.

neko4
04-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Id hate to see him retire, despite all the bad memories

gsn
04-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Brian Urlacher called a report in the Chicago Sun Times that he may be threatening to retire a "gossip column."

"I never said that I was going to quit," Urlacher claims. "Reports like that is why I choose not to speak to the media." Urlacher says the Bears are offering a one-year extension. They're right to hesitate considering his uneven play in 2007, offseason neck surgery, arthritic back, and age (30 in May).

Rotoworld

Gay Ork Wang
04-18-2008, 12:06 PM
haha yea he really hates the media..

i think he just has to wait after the draft
With everything settling, the Bears will turn their attention towards Tommie, Hester and him. I dont think they would let him go

Brothgar
04-18-2008, 12:16 PM
I heard he has real neck problems. (Can't find the source right now). That would defiantly be 2 more wins for the Leos if the leader and best player on that D hangs them up.

PackerLegend
04-18-2008, 12:20 PM
It would be ashame if he really did have injuries that could cause him to retire. Now if he is just mad and wants money and out of Chicago then I will be more then happy :D

CC.SD
04-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah freaking right, he's just pissed that they've never had an offense for him to support.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
04-18-2008, 02:21 PM
the two situations seem very different. In one way he's considering retirement, whereby he wouldn't recieve any more money. In another way he's basically demanding more money to continue playing. If he really is considering retirement due to neck and back problems then do we really think that he would come back just for more money? Id say that the problem can't be that serious then.

I see that someone said that he doesn't plan on retiring, but i thought that was interesting from the first article. History says that he will conitnue playing, and i never doubted it, but it will be interesting to see what comes of this situation. The Bears have all sorts of financial difficulties with players, and with the lousy offense and the history of good defense, add the fact he's the 'face of the franchise' then i'd say there will be a decent amount of pressure on mgmt.

Yatta!
04-18-2008, 02:42 PM
He's now denied he ever threatened to retire and says that there is already a 1-year extension offer on the table.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3353220

bearfan
04-18-2008, 03:51 PM
the two situations seem very different. In one way he's considering retirement, whereby he wouldn't recieve any more money. In another way he's basically demanding more money to continue playing. If he really is considering retirement due to neck and back problems then do we really think that he would come back just for more money? Id say that the problem can't be that serious then.

I see that someone said that he doesn't plan on retiring, but i thought that was interesting from the first article. History says that he will conitnue playing, and i never doubted it, but it will be interesting to see what comes of this situation. The Bears have all sorts of financial difficulties with players, and with the lousy offense and the history of good defense, add the fact he's the 'face of the franchise' then i'd say there will be a decent amount of pressure on mgmt.

I wouldnt say that we have financial difficulties, the Bears just dont pay big money for players. The cool thing about the FO on defense is that they have drafted backups over the years that can step in and play right away (Jamar Williams, Anderson, McBride ect). To bad they havent done that w/ the offense....:(

TheGreatEscape
04-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Even if he has serious neck problem offer him enough money and he'll play.

no love
04-18-2008, 03:58 PM
He's now denied he ever threatened to retire and says that there is already a 1-year extension offer on the table.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3353220

Wow... a one year suspension.... how generous.

awfullyquiet
04-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah freaking right, he's just pissed that they've never had an offense for him to support.

2006 called.
The bears were in the top 10 offenses in the league.

this is ridiculous silly posturing by teams and players about the money.

Addict
04-18-2008, 04:11 PM
He won't retire. He just really wants a new deal. And he deserves one, IMO.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-18-2008, 04:14 PM
If this happened at all, it was probably posturing by Urlacher to squeeze money out of Chicago.

That said, why is the reaction to players asking for more payment for the sizeable risk of playing middle linebacker (or, really, any position) that their being greedy. If a player decides to retire before he turns 30 because he doesn't fancy hobbling around like an old man by the time he hits 45, is that really a bad thing?

CC.SD
04-18-2008, 04:18 PM
2006 called.
The bears were in the top 10 offenses in the league.

this is ridiculous silly posturing by teams and players about the money.

Rex Grossman called. He said "Brian Urlacher would have a Super Bowl ring if I didn't eat so many paint chips."

regoob2
04-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Well, I suppose it depends on what constitutes a retirement. Is a guy who gives up football because nobody will sign him retiring from football? If that's the case, I'd imagine that the number of players below 32 would be much, much higher than the number of players above 32.

Oh, I think it's time for Urlacher to hang them up. But, he should wait until the last possible moment so Chicago cannot possibly replace him.
Thanks for adding this I hate Chicago post. :rolleyes:

bigbluedefense
04-18-2008, 10:26 PM
he probably realizes that Cover 2 sucks, and rather retire than play in that scheme.

:p