PDA

View Full Version : Abdul Hodge/3-4 Defense?

Vince Lombardi
02-26-2007, 06:12 PM
I really think Abdul Hodge can be a good MLB in the NFL. Even though he's not great in coverage he's a tackling machine and has a good nose for the ball. That said, it seems like GB is determined to keep Barnett as their MLB which kinda leaves Hodge as the odd man out in the 4-3 defense that they currently run. An interesting idea would be for them to switch to a 3-4 instead. With the recent move of Cullen Jenkins to DE and Kampman on the other side we have two huge ends who can get a good rush as well as stop the run. If GB could get a real stout NT to eat up the middle I think we have the personnel to make the switch pretty easily, with a few FA & Draft additions.

If we could land Adalius Thomas we would have a sick (but expensive) set of LB's.

Poppinga(or upgrade,ie; Adalius Thomas)---Hodge---Barnett---Hawk

Then if we could just get a safety like Landry or Nelson in the draft, some help at CB, and a NT we would have a pretty strong defense.

Obviously this isn't gonna happen for next year since the scheme and co-ordinater are for the 4-3. I'm just looking down the road and trying to envision future possibilities.

Any thoughts/opinions?

neko4
02-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Ive contempleted this before, it would give us a great rotation at DT(to bad we still dont have Grady at DT).
I think Pickett, Cole, and Williams would be a good rotation here. Also if we cant land the big LB like Thomas, then would anybody think KGB could be a good OLB?

Vince Lombardi
02-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Ive contempleted this before, it would give us a great rotation at DT(to bad we still dont have Grady at DT).
I think Pickett, Cole, and Williams would be a good rotation here. Also if we cant land the big LB like Thomas, then would anybody think KGB could be a good OLB?

I don't see KGB being able to be a 3-4 LB, I think he's merely a situational pass rusher at best these days. He'd be the odd man out if we switched to a 3-4, maybe they could trade him for something.

GB12
02-26-2007, 06:23 PM
That would be very nice if things went our way but that wouldn't be easy. We already have a very nice 4-3 going so there isn't reason to change. I agree with what so said about Hodge and I think he could be good. It sucks that he has no room, but you don't change a defense so one guy can get in. If we did get Thomas it could be considered, but once again like you said we don't have the coordinater for it. I think it would be great to move Barnett outside, but it looks like it's not going to happen.

neko4
02-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Barnett stated last year he didnt want to play OLB

GB12
02-26-2007, 06:25 PM

No, not at all. He would get torn apart at LB. His problem at DE is he can't tackle or stop the run, that would be a huge problem for a LB. I wouldn't want him in coverage either. I'm pretty sure we tried that in the preseason a couple years ago and it wasn't pretty.

cuzifelt1ikeit
02-26-2007, 08:37 PM
POSTED 7:10 p.m. EST, February 26, 2007

ADALIUS HAS A DEALIO?

An industry source tells us that Ravens linebacker Adalius Thomas already has a deal in place with the San Francisco 49ers.

Thomas and Niners coach Mike Nolan were together in Baltimore, when Nolan was on Brian Billick's staff.

On Sunday, Thomas admitted that the Ravens "don't have the money" to re-sign him.

sorry dont know how to quote articles yet. but this kinda blows this out of the water although i would love to have him come to GB.

GB12
02-26-2007, 08:38 PM
link? ....................

Vince Lombardi
02-26-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm not surprised at all if he actually is signing with the 49ers. The fact that they run a 3-4, have a ton of cap room, and that Mike Nolan pretty much developed Thomas is just too much for most teams too beat.

In a way it's probably for the best since it's unlikely we would utilize a 3-4 anyways. Not to mention he's already in his 30's and is gonna get a long term contract for a ton of money. Oh well, next option.

umphrey
02-26-2007, 09:12 PM
We don't have the personnel for a 34. We won't switch to it unless we are ready for our defense to suck for a few years and want to get rid of most of our LBs and DLs.

ny10804
02-26-2007, 09:57 PM
If we were to make the move, either Hodge, Barnett, or Hawk would have to take a seat on the bench in the base formation, because neither of those three is capable of playing the OLB position in a 3-4. Each one would be eaten up. Most 3-4 OLBs are 4-3 DEs.

Poppinga would be a fine OLB. Hawk and Barnett would fit well at the two ILB positions. Cullen Jenkins and Corey Williams would be good 3-4 ends. None of the DTs would be great fits at NT. The only feasable way to make it work would be to convert Kampman to OLB or trade him, two things that will never happen.

We're sticking with the 4-3, so get used to it. :)

PACKmanN
02-26-2007, 10:55 PM
i dont think Thomas is going to be special in our defence and Pop looked good the last 4-5 games. WE DONT NEED THOMAS!

someone447
02-26-2007, 11:34 PM
If we were to make the move, either Hodge, Barnett, or Hawk would have to take a seat on the bench in the base formation, because neither of those three is capable of playing the OLB position in a 3-4. Each one would be eaten up. Most 3-4 OLBs are 4-3 DEs.

Poppinga would be a fine OLB. Hawk and Barnett would fit well at the two ILB positions. Cullen Jenkins and Corey Williams would be good 3-4 ends. None of the DTs would be great fits at NT. The only feasable way to make it work would be to convert Kampman to OLB or trade him, two things that will never happen.

We're sticking with the 4-3, so get used to it. :)

Aj Hawk could definately play 3-4 OLB. Kampman would not be a good fit there. Hawk would be a waste at OLB in the 3-4, but he would still be very good. I just doubt he would be hall of fame good, which I can see him being at OLB in the 4-3.

ny10804
02-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Aj Hawk could definately play 3-4 OLB. Kampman would not be a good fit there. Hawk would be a waste at OLB in the 3-4, but he would still be very good. I just doubt he would be hall of fame good, which I can see him being at OLB in the 4-3.

Just imagine AJ Hawk trying to pass rush against a tackle, one on one. I don't think there's any way he could be effective as an 3-4 OLB, who are expected to be the primary pass rushers in the 3-4.

JoeMontainya
03-01-2007, 01:15 AM
If you went to a 3-4, Hawk and barnett/Hodge would be ILB's.

ds8582
03-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Does Bob Sanders have any experience with a 3-4?

The Legend
03-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Kampman / Hodge / Barnett / Hawk

Jenkins / Pickett / Williams

maybe move up to get Demarcus "Tank" Tyler

jackalope
03-02-2007, 06:57 PM
i don't think moving to the 3-4 is a good idea at all. our 4-3 is starting to look good.

someone447
03-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Kampman / Hodge / Barnett / Hawk

Jenkins / Pickett / Williams

maybe move up to get Demarcus "Tank" Tyler

There is no way that Kampman could play 3-4 OLB. Poppinga's strength is his pass rushing. It would be
Poppinga/Hodge/Barnett/Hawk
Jenkins/Pickett/Kampman

However, Hawk's and Kampman's talents would be wasted in the that defense. It would be a horrible move.

princefielder28
03-02-2007, 09:48 PM
There is no way that Kampman could play 3-4 OLB. Poppinga's strength is his pass rushing. It would be
Poppinga/Hodge/Barnett/Hawk
Jenkins/Pickett/Kampman

However, Hawk's and Kampman's talents would be wasted in the that defense. It would be a horrible move.

There's no way the Packers move to a defense like that with the coaching and personnel they have.

PACKmanN
03-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Barnett cant make a tackle behind the line already now u think he can play MLB in a 3-4? Vilma cant do it because he too small. We are not moving to a 3-4.

Microphon200
03-11-2007, 02:29 PM
They can't switch to the 3-4 because they drafted Hawk and he is a classic 4-3 olb.

princefielder28
03-11-2007, 05:59 PM
They can't switch to the 3-4 because they drafted Hawk and he is a classic 4-3 olb.

They would NEVER wwitch in the near future.

M1Koter
03-11-2007, 06:10 PM
even if they switched to a 3-4, Hodge would still not start, it would be hawk and Barnett in the middle with popinga and possibly KGB on the other side, not saying KGB is good enough but he would still make a better OLB in the 3-4 than Hodge would

neko4
03-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Sorry to bring this back up but what year's LB's/DE's would fit a 3-4

M1Koter
03-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Sorry to bring this back up but what year's LB's/DE's would fit a 3-4

Poppinga would actually be a much better fit in a 3-4 as an OLB. Cullen Jenkins would make a really good DE in 3-4, other than that we really don't have anybody, maybe KGB as an OLB

neko4
03-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Poppinga would actually be a much better fit in a 3-4 as an OLB. Cullen Jenkins would make a really good DE in 3-4, other than that we really don't have anybody, maybe KGB as an OLB

I meant to say prospects sorry

MP123
03-20-2007, 12:32 AM
I really think Abdul Hodge can be a good MLB in the NFL. Even though he's not great in coverage he's a tackling machine and has a good nose for the ball. That said, it seems like GB is determined to keep Barnett as their MLB which kinda leaves Hodge as the odd man out in the 4-3 defense that they currently run. An interesting idea would be for them to switch to a 3-4 instead. With the recent move of Cullen Jenkins to DE and Kampman on the other side we have two huge ends who can get a good rush as well as stop the run. If GB could get a real stout NT to eat up the middle I think we have the personnel to make the switch pretty easily, with a few FA & Draft additions.

If we could land Adalius Thomas we would have a sick (but expensive) set of LB's.

Poppinga(or upgrade,ie; Adalius Thomas)---Hodge---Barnett---Hawk

Then if we could just get a safety like Landry or Nelson in the draft, some help at CB, and a NT we would have a pretty strong defense.

Obviously this isn't gonna happen for next year since the scheme and co-ordinater are for the 4-3. I'm just looking down the road and trying to envision future possibilities.

Any thoughts/opinions?

I can't see it happening if Hawk is on the team. He's not a great pass rusher.