PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather have.

detknowitall
04-18-2008, 07:15 PM
I don't think the Lions are going RB in the 1st round. Its too deep a position and you can still pick up a good guy. Assuming you have your choice of these 2 guys with the 1st pick in the 3rd round who would you rather have??

Kevin Smith Or Chris Johnson I like them both as late round pickups.

Xiomera
04-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Give me Johnson because of his kick return skills.

woodnick
04-18-2008, 09:46 PM
I love Johnson's speed obviously, but it's tough to deny Smith's pure running ability and production last season. My tie breaker for choosing smith was because he seems more like a running back that can carry the full load, where as Johnson IMO is more of a slasher 3rd down back and we already have Bell and Calhoun in that role. Johnson's value would be better than Smith's at that point, but still Give me KS.

asmitty45
04-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Smith, I trust him more, I feel like Chris Johnson is just like Chris Henry from last year just fast and thats it, but thats just me.

Kevin Smith is going to be a solid rotational guy if nothing else and im not convinced that Johnson is going to be that good.

Id rather have Rice over either though

P-L
04-20-2008, 08:08 AM
I think the Chris Henry and Chris Johnson comparison is a bit unfair. Henry was never all that productive. In fact he was a backup in both High School and College. Chris Johnson did run for 1400 yards, 6.0 ypc, and 17 TD's last year. Chris Henry ran for 900 yards and 9 TD's his entire career.

P-L
04-20-2008, 08:12 AM
The amount of carries that Kevin Smith had last year worries me. He had 450 carries, and that is a concern. Ray Rice's workload also scares me (along with the fact that I don't believe his game speed is nearly as good as his timed speed), although Rice was correct for coming out this year instead of next year.

Prowler
04-20-2008, 11:28 AM
smith, reading your running lanes is 80% of it. look at edgerrin james. he's awesome(if you have to think back to his time in indy) because he reads his blocks in front of him and is mentally on top of the game. elite speed is great, but only after you break your tackles and find the crease. heck jamal lewis was the 5th leading rusher in the league last year. i think smith has pretty good 'football speed', so its not like he's that much slower on the field. plus it would be awesome karma if he became barry 2.0.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Neither. I'd rather have Matt Forte

Addict
04-20-2008, 07:14 PM
it's gonna be a first rounder, Millen needs to get playmakers and RB is a gaping hole.

P-L
04-20-2008, 09:20 PM
This is a really deep Running Back class, but to be honest, I really don't like anyone outside of the top three for our team. Chris Johnson and Jamaal Charles are too similar to Tatum Bell in my opinion. Granted, both of those guys are better than Bell is. Kevin Smith's 450 carries bother me. Ray Rice has been almost abused at Rutgers for three years (much like Mike Hart was at U-M) and like I said, I really have never felt he's got very good game speed. I like Matt Forte, but I don't see him being a feature back to be honest. He could probably complement Tatum Bell well, but I hope Tatum Bell is not in our future plans.

To be honest? I'd rather skip taking a Running Back this year and take our chances next year. Normally I'm the last person to be thinking about next year's draft when it comes to this year's, but this is an exception. We have four picks in the first three rounds. I say we spend one on a Defensive End, one on a Linebacker, and two on the Offensive Line. We can use our 4th and 5th Round picks on a developmental Cornerback and a Tight End (I like this year's class, and I think a good one will be available in the later rounds). We can then take our chances next year and hope we can land Chris Wells, C.J. Spiller, or Knowshon Moreno (Call me crazy, but I like all three better than any back in this class, including McFadden).

woodnick
04-20-2008, 09:28 PM
This is a really deep Running Back class, but to be honest, I really don't like anyone outside of the top three for our team. Chris Johnson and Jamaal Charles are too similar to Tatum Bell in my opinion. Granted, both of those guys are better than Bell is. Kevin Smith's 450 carries bother me. Ray Rice has been almost abused at Rutgers for three years (much like Mike Hart was at U-M) and like I said, I really have never felt he's got very good game speed. I like Matt Forte, but I don't see him being a feature back to be honest. He could probably complement Tatum Bell well, but I hope Tatum Bell is not in our future plans.

To be honest? I'd rather skip taking a Running Back this year and take our chances next year. Normally I'm the last person to be thinking about next year's draft when it comes to this year's, but this is an exception. We have four picks in the first three rounds. I say we spend one on a Defensive End, one on a Linebacker, and two on the Offensive Line. We can use our 4th and 5th Round picks on a developmental Cornerback and a Tight End (I like this year's class, and I think a good one will be available in the later rounds). We can then take our chances next year and hope we can land Chris Wells, C.J. Spiller, or Knowshon Moreno (Call me crazy, but I like all three better than any back in this class, including McFadden).

Moreno was only a Freshman last year so he's not elgible next year, but I see your logic and personally I'm using it for selecting a MLB, I'd rather get a guy like Wheeler in the 3rd to play SLB and Maulanga/Lauranitis next year for mlb. Beenie Wells is a pimp and will be a bad a** in the NFL, that being said f*** Ohio state but you cant deny Wells' talent and skills.

woodnick
04-20-2008, 09:31 PM
never mind, moreno was a RS Freshmen and will be elgible.

Brothgar
04-20-2008, 09:50 PM
We all know that I have a huge man crush on Chris Johnson. He is the most versatile RB in this draft class. His speed is a huge asset in the return game and if our line can't open the hole (which they never do) he has the vision and speed to kick it outside.

asmitty45
04-20-2008, 10:10 PM
I think the Chris Henry and Chris Johnson comparison is a bit unfair. Henry was never all that productive. In fact he was a backup in both High School and College. Chris Johnson did run for 1400 yards, 6.0 ypc, and 17 TD's last year. Chris Henry ran for 900 yards and 9 TD's his entire career.

I know the comparison isnt apt really, they are different players but I just feel the same way about both of them, basically i dont like them.

Just give me Rice

woodnick
04-20-2008, 10:17 PM
We all know that I have a huge man crush on Chris Johnson. He is the most versatile RB in this draft class. His speed is a huge asset in the return game and if our line can't open the hole (which they never do) he has the vision and speed to kick it outside.

This is the NFL, just because you have great speed doesn't mean you can just kick it outside, just ask Reggie Bush. As far as KR, it'd be nice to have him as that, but I'd rather have a WR who had more success in college do it like Dorien Bryant.

Brothgar
04-20-2008, 10:28 PM
This is the NFL, just because you have great speed doesn't mean you can just kick it outside, just ask Reggie Bush. As far as KR, it'd be nice to have him as that, but I'd rather have a WR who had more success in college do it like Dorien Bryant.

Well I'm not just basing it on his speed he's done it his whole career. Plus Reggie Bush isn't nearly as fast as Chris Johnson I don't have his Combine numbers (I don't think he even ran the Combine) but he ran a 4.37 at his pro day. That's a whole .13 seconds more to put that is perspective its the difference between an average RB and a FB.

woodnick
04-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Well I'm not just basing it on his speed he's done it his whole career. Plus Reggie Bush isn't nearly as fast as Chris Johnson I don't have his Combine numbers (I don't think he even ran the Combine) but he ran a 4.37 at his pro day. That's a whole .13 seconds more to put that is perspective its the difference between an average RB and a FB.

If you're trying to imply that you'd rather have Johnson over Bush you're nuts. Is he faster than hester? Look up Hester's combine # and tell me that Johnson would be a faster RS.

Brothgar
04-20-2008, 10:34 PM
If you're trying to imply that you'd rather have Johnson over Bush you're nuts. Is he faster than hester? Look up Hester's combine # and tell me that Johnson would be a faster RS.

No I'm just saying that Johnson would have a better shot at kicking it outside than Bush whom I consider to be horribly over rated considering he hasn't done much in the pros thus far and hasn't lived up to his #2 overall status.

Also Hester ran a 4.35 at his pro day (just looked it up) and I'm not saying that Speed is the be all and end all to being a RS but lets face facts it helps. it helps alot.

woodnick
04-20-2008, 10:58 PM
I agree that Bush might be over rated and he definately hasn't lived up to the hype, but that's my point, there's much more than just speed. And yes, I agree speed helps as a RS, but Hester's best asset is his ability to set up his blockers and explode when he finds a crease.

wingboy2999
04-21-2008, 01:38 PM
And yes, I agree speed helps as a RS, but Hester's best asset is his ability to set up his blockers and explode when he finds a crease.

*giggle giggle*

And yes, that is 2 consecutive posts involving giggling.