PDA

View Full Version : Coaches on the hot seat

bigG
04-21-2008, 06:05 AM
For this upcoming season which coaches are feeling the most pressure from the front office?

1. Marvin Lewis - I love the guy but their offseasons are becoming more exciting than their regular season. Although they are alot better than when he got the job, the NFL is all about "what have you done for me lately".

2. Mike Nolan - They made alot of moves last year but they are still
struggling.

Any others?

Seanhawk
04-21-2008, 08:10 AM
I don't know. I just have this gut feeling that Mike Holmgren will be gone after this season. ;)

xooberon
04-21-2008, 08:30 AM
i'm guessing john fox will be

21ST
04-21-2008, 09:27 AM
The whole redskins coaching staff

luee
04-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Mangenius with the Jets.

NIN1984
04-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Some people believe if the Raiders start off slow Lane Kiffin could be fired during the season...

It could happen you never know with Al.

BaLLiN
04-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Cam Cameron

bigbluedefense
04-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Lane Kiffin. Its obvious he and Al Davis don't get along at this point.

John Fox, Marvin Lewis, Scott Linehan, Mike Nolan, Wade Phillips.

Thunder&Lightning
04-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Mangini, Kiffin, Phillips, and Nolan I think are on the biggest hot seats.

themaninblack
04-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Marvin isn't going anywhere unfortunately.

Geo
04-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Hah, I've been thinking of making a thread like this, but I thought I'd wait until after the Draft. :)

- Def. agreed with BBD on Scott Linehan, this is a year he has to show upswing if not a .500/winning record. And honestly, I think he's gone after this season.

- Brad Childress, could be in a .500/winning record or else year.

- I'm not sure about Marvin Lewis, the guy is trying to make it work with what he has, and the owner wants him. You have to understand, Lewis and the coaches have a lot of responsibilty when it comes to the Draft there, given the current structure (or lack thereof). And Lewis wears a GM hat too, essentially.

- If Nolan doesn't get back to .500 or very close to it, who knows. They've already got Mike Martz in house for a year.

- Mangenius shouldn't even be mentioned imo, why consider canning a good coach? Yeah he probably hurt the team by being stubborn with the 3-4, but they are coming out of it now with the defense being almost built.

SuperMcGee
04-21-2008, 01:37 PM
No coach has made it more than 3 years here since Levy left. Jauron comes into his 3rd year with a 14-18 record. I think he'll be around after this year, but his connections got weaker with Levy stepping down and a bad year coming off of two losing seasons would definitely have the door open.

SenorGato
04-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Mangenius with the Jets.

Negative...though the fans might go crazy if we have another 4-12 season.

Mangini seems like he has the full faith of the organization here.

Turtlepower
04-21-2008, 01:54 PM
I am going to go out on a limb and say Lovie Smith. I think the Bears don't make .500 again and get a lot of Bears fans asking for change.

Geo
04-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Personally I wouldn't consider firing Lovie Smith after this season, winning record or not.

Turtlepower
04-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Personally I wouldn't consider firing Lovie Smith after this season, winning record or not.

I don't think he will be fired, just put on the hot seat. Similar to Mike Nolan who was put on the hot seat for this year.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Even though it's his first year as a head coach Jim Zorn has a lot of pressure, because unless he performs well if a big name like Cower is willing to take the job next season, Zorn will be out of there. Could be another one and done in DC, but I'm hoping not.

the decider13
04-21-2008, 02:11 PM
shanny...I love em, but we might need some new blood if we keep losing.

yourfavestoner
04-21-2008, 02:19 PM
shanny...I love em, but we might need some new blood if we keep losing.

Shanny should be coach for life. He just needs to give up personnel duties.

vidae
04-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Herm Edwards could be, but I hope not. I really like him as a coach and he is building this team back up the right way.

JT Jag
04-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Not Del Rio! Haha... stability.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Tom Coug... O wait, hmm sorry that's still a habit..

Nolan, Lewis and Mangini from the top of my head.

SFbear
04-21-2008, 03:43 PM
I don't think he will be fired, just put on the hot seat. Similar to Mike Nolan who was put on the hot seat for this year.

Lovie will be able to scapegoat Ron Turner if the offense continues to suck this year. Rumor was he wanted to get rid of Turner but he would have to get rid of his BFF Babich too. If the defense takes a step back then he will probably take some heat. We're rebuilding so I don't think anyone in the organization is expecting an impressive record but all eyes will be on the offense this season.

jetsfan0099
04-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Herm Edwards could be, but I hope not. I really like him as a coach and he is building this team back up the right way.

How cute, your the first Chiefs fan I've seen that actually likes Herm and believes hes a good coach and want him to stay. How is he building that team up the right way??? Taking them from a playoff team right down to one of the worst teams in the NFL?? I predicted that the Chiefs would have a top 5 pick before this season because I knew they were going to crash with Herm. He isn't good, he is horrible with building teams, he doesn't realize you need a great OL to win. I bet you, you guys don't even take a OL first round. Even though the Chiefs have like the worst OL in the league.

Look what he did with the Jets, he took over a team that Parcells basically built, and he brought them down. The Jets were actually a team that had a good OL, and some good players and were pretty talented. He never fixed the OL and we had to go 3 years with a bad OL. Now finally our OL looks good on paper.

TheGreatEscape
04-21-2008, 03:56 PM
How cute, your the first Chiefs fan I've seen that actually likes Herm and believes hes a good coach and want him to stay. How is he building that team up the right way??? Taking them from a playoff team right down to one of the worst teams in the NFL?? I predicted that the Chiefs would have a top 5 pick before this season because I knew they were going to crash with Herm. He isn't good, he is horrible with building teams, he doesn't realize you need a great OL to win. I bet you, you guys don't even take a OL first round. Even though the Chiefs have like the worst OL in the league.

Look what he did with the Jets, he took over a team that Parcells basically built, and he brought them down. The Jets were actually a team that had a good OL, and some good players and were pretty talented. He never fixed the OL and we had to go 3 years with a bad OL. Now finally our OL looks good on paper.

I wouldn't blame Herm for the chiefs current misery. They got old on O and didn't have a D. He inherited a team on the brink of falling apart, now they've crashed and they have gotten younger which was the right move, give them time to rebuild the oline and let the croyle to Bowe connection develop.

Diehard
04-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Shanny should be coach for life. He just needs to give up personnel duties.

You hit the nail on the head. Shanahan the coach is very secure, Shanahan the GM is not. After canning Sundquist there really isn't anyone else to blame if the draft goes poorly.

If Shanahan somehow lost his power over personnel decisions, I suspect he'd leave Denver for greener pastures.

Bengalsrocket
04-21-2008, 06:03 PM

Herm inherited a doomed team though - drafting an O-line in the first round will not determine if herm is good or not. Though he will need to strongly address the O-line issues and quickly, the 5th overall pick is not necessarily the spot to do it. Short of drafting Jake Long with that pick you're semi-reaching. If the trade with Jared Allen happens where they get a 1st round pick, hopefully they use that pick to draft an a tackle instead of the 5th overall pick.

Chiefs have a pretty terrible team right now, but herm is in a position where he can fill the holes quickly (and with the 08 draft). Now I'm not saying he's going to for sure do it this year, but I think he will.

TonyGfortheTD
04-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Scott Linehan- After lacking a winning season altogether and the joke 2-14 year, he has to get the Rams to .500.
Mangini- The jets spent a huge chunk of change this FA season and I'd think they want to see a winning season.
Nolan- He's got to make something happen and now.
Kiffin- When you're a coach in Oakland, you have a permanent spot in the hotseat.
John Fox- He's had long enough to recover over the Super Bowl loss.

Coaches that could potentially be in the hotseat:
Herm Edwards- Clark Hunt does not want to see another 4-12 year.
Lovie Smith- He has to get his QB situation sorted out.
Mike Shanahan- He's an icon in Denver, but Denver will be restless if he fails to make the postseason for a 3rd year in a row.
Brad Childress- Will have to get results out of his team this year.

jetsfan0099
04-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Herm inherited a doomed team though - drafting an O-line in the first round will not determine if herm is good or not. Though he will need to strongly address the O-line issues and quickly, the 5th overall pick is not necessarily the spot to do it. Short of drafting Jake Long with that pick you're semi-reaching. If the trade with Jared Allen happens where they get a 1st round pick, hopefully they use that pick to draft an a tackle instead of the 5th overall pick.

Chiefs have a pretty terrible team right now, but herm is in a position where he can fill the holes quickly (and with the 08 draft). Now I'm not saying he's going to for sure do it this year, but I think he will.

I'm just saying, being a Jets fan I think Herm is horrible, he did bad with us. Sure he got us to the playoffs a few times, and hes a good guy, but as a HC he stinks. He gets outcoached most of the time, and likes to throw all of the blame on asst coaches, like his OC and DC. Horrible clock management skills, not that good at developing talent. Just really isn't anything special. He only got us to the playoffs because of the team he got was strong on the OL and had Chad Pennington who use to be good enough to make the playoffs, also had Curtis Martin, and a lot of studs on defense.
Also as a Jets fan I think Mangini is not on the hot seat yet. Most Jets fans love him, we beleive that he didn't get outcoached, that he had a lack of talent really. Our GM is to blame kinda, they R both young though, they thought we were more talented then we actually were. But the scheme and gameplan wasn't to blame, maybe offensively sometimes the playcalling was bad, but Schottenheimer is young too.

nfrillman
04-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Scott Linehan- After lacking a winning season altogether and the joke 2-14 year, he has to get the Rams to .500.

HEY!!!!! THEY WERE 3-13 THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!