PDA

View Full Version : LB Odell Thurman reinstated

Sveen
04-21-2008, 03:05 PM
The Bengals announced Monday that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell informed the club middle linebacker Odell Thurman has been reinstated after a two-year exile for violating the league's substance abuse policy,

"Odell has met the NFL's conditions for reinstatement and has been added to our offseason roster," said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis in a press release. "It is now up to Odell to continue to meet all NFL guidelines, and to maintain a standard of personal responsibility that will allow him the chance to compete for a spot on our team."

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6734

princefielder28
04-21-2008, 03:09 PM
That'll help this defense

Geo
04-21-2008, 03:11 PM
That's good to hear. Hopefully he can play as well as he did pre-suspension, and doesn't screw this up.

LonghornsLegend
04-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Not surprising, he was out for too long as it is, I hope he gets up to speed soon.

buckeyes4ever
04-21-2008, 03:12 PM
thank god there is something to smile about for the bengals defense even though in the long run there defense is still lacking

A Perfect Score
04-21-2008, 03:14 PM
the bengals have alot of young talent on that defense...odom, brooks, thurman, hall, joseph...they have alot of potential there.

I personally thought that odell was suspended for too long, and he could have been re instated last season.

buckeyes4ever
04-21-2008, 03:16 PM
If they pick up Ellis in the draft and with Chad Johnson leaving which even with cap penalties should leave some seriouse space they may be able to have a somewhat solid D in the near future

Thunder&Lightning
04-21-2008, 05:16 PM
This is good to hear. Im glad he got a second chance hopefully hes woken up and matured a little. Major Plus for the Bengals D.

BigDawg819
04-21-2008, 05:20 PM
While this is a good thing on the surface for that defense realistically how much will he be able to produce on the field with being away from the game for so long?

ATLDirtyBirds
04-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Good for him. Interesting to see what he can add.

PalmerToCJ
04-21-2008, 05:33 PM
the bengals have alot of young talent on that defense...odom, brooks, thurman, hall, joseph...they have alot of potential there.

I personally thought that odell was suspended for too long, and he could have been re instated last season.

Agreed on all accounts. Don't take this as me saying we're going to immediately be a good defensive team BUT if we get Ellis we could be a year or two from a very good defense. We're loaded on talent and youth, just a matter of them seeing the field. There's a ton of potential there.

Odell got ripped for the two year deal. Even when Henry was still a Bengal I said he deserved twice the punishment Odell got.

While this is a good thing on the surface for that defense realistically how much will he be able to produce on the field with being away from the game for so long?

That's just something we'll have to wait and see I guess. The guy hasn't forgotten how to play football obviously but it's a matter of getting in shape and getting back in the flow of things.

They haven't said much about his position within the defense. Obviously it didn't make sense to do so before he was reinstated but recently Marvin has been way more positive of him.

I'd personally like to see Odell back in the middle then move Ahmad to WLB or SLB. I think Odell's talent is wasted anywhere but MLB. Ahmad is so versatile and athletic that I think his talents can be used elsewhere.

themaninblack
04-21-2008, 10:04 PM
being a football player personally i think the idea that it will take him an extended period of time to get back to his form is kind of overstated. hate to use the cliche but it is really like riding a bike(even to a much greater extent with a professional athlete.) With a full summer and training camp i expect him to be back to form early on in the season, maybe even by the opener. And by all accounts he has been working hard already, just needs to get into football shape.

BaLLiN
04-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Good thing for Cincy, if he didnt that LB corps looks pretty horrible

no love
04-22-2008, 01:43 AM
I don't think this changes their need at LB at all. They should still go into the draft with LB as a major need area.

I think Cincy has learned that it cannot COUNT on players like Odell to stay out of trouble. If Odell comes back and never gets in trouble, awesome you have depth.

PalmerToCJ
04-22-2008, 08:44 PM
I don't think this changes their need at LB at all. They should still go into the draft with LB as a major need area.

I think Cincy has learned that it cannot COUNT on players like Odell to stay out of trouble. If Odell comes back and never gets in trouble, awesome you have depth.

Agreed. If anything we need depth for sure.

Luckily for us and not Odell, he's apparently having some money troubles so there's extra incentive to stay clean. More importantly he's kicked alcohol which was the root of all his problems.

PackerLegend
04-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Didn't want to start another thread but David Pollack has decided to retire after not wanting to risk end up being paralysed.

katnip
04-23-2008, 04:56 PM
YYYYYeeeeeesssssssssss!

Now I can trade for him in Madden 09. I'd always trade for him in Madden when he was in it.

Dam8610
04-23-2008, 05:33 PM
LONG overdue. He never should've been suspended in the first place. 2 years for a DUI? That's a tad excessive.

themaninblack
04-23-2008, 09:19 PM
didnt jared allen get 2 DUIs?

PalmerToCJ
04-23-2008, 09:35 PM
LONG overdue. He never should've been suspended in the first place. 2 years for a DUI? That's a tad excessive.

The remaining was because Godelll felt he hadn't kicked his drinking habit which I'm surprised he wasn't sued for as it is technically a disability.

I still can't believe all of that turned into 2 years. Missed 2 drug tests, gets a DUI then doesn't play for 32 games.

Mr. Stiller
04-24-2008, 03:36 AM
The remaining was because Godelll felt he hadn't kicked his drinking habit which I'm surprised he wasn't sued for as it is technically a disability.

I still can't believe all of that turned into 2 years. Missed 2 drug tests, gets a DUI then doesn't play for 32 games.

that was my point. Goodell hasn't exactly been even among the board.

Jared Allen missed 1/8 the games that Odell has, he had 2 DUI's.

I like Odell the player, not Odell the off the field guy. I also do have a bit of a anti-Bengal because I'm a steeler fan. At the same time, I was appalled at Goodell's unequal judging.

I had a rant in a previous thread where I thought that Odell was being unfairly blackballed.

PalmerToCJ
04-24-2008, 08:39 PM
His/the leagues defense was that it was a product of him being in the drug treatment program or whatever it is.

Total BS. Odell screwed up, no way around it but what he did isn't even remotely close to what Henry/Pacman have done.