PDA

View Full Version : Unbiased's Steelers Mock 4/21/08

Unbiased
04-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Steelers

*Trade*

Atlanta Falcons receive: Pittsburgh's #23 pick
Pittsburgh Steelers receive: Atlanta's #37 and #68 picks.
Atlanta uses this trade to secure QB of the future (Brohm, Henne, Flacco)

2.37 (from Atlanta) Chilo Rachal, OG, USC 6'5" 315 lbs
There's virtually no depth behind Kendall Simmons and Chris Kemoatu. As of now, the backups at guard are essentially Mahan the starting center, and Colon, who will battle Starks for the starting job at right tackle. Rachal immediately steps into the rotation and by midseason could push for a starting spot.

2.53 Dre Moore, DE, Maryland 6'4" 305 lbs
Mike Tomlin has said that he wants more sack production from his front 3. The front 3 of Smith, Hampton, and Kiesel combined for 5.5 sacks in 2007. That's why I feel DE will/should be addressed a few rounds sooner than most believe. Moore played DT for Maryland, but at 6'4" 305 lbs, he would be an ideal fit at end in Pittsburgh's 3-4 scheme.He would immediately push for Kiesel's job and if Smith were to be injured again, he could step in nicely instead of relying on backups Nick Eason and Ryan McBean.

3.68 (from Atlanta) Jerome Simpson, WR, Coastal Carolina 6'2" 200 lbs
Roethlisberger wants a bigger WR, and frankly, he deserves one. Simpson is one of the more well-known small-school prospects and has good size at 6'2" 200 lbs. He would replace Cedrick Wilson and should see the field frequently with his height.

3.88 Jack Ikegwuonu, CB, Wisconsin 5'11" 195 lbs
Yes, this is a risky pick. Ike had a devastating knee injury after the season and also has some character concerns (stole an xbox). However, in my opinion, Ike was the best man-to-man cornerback in college football in 2007. After a year of rehabilitation, this could be a steal. Townsend is getting old and might move to safety. Potentially, Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden will start at CB in 2008. Adding a guy like Ikegwuonu would add substantial depth along with William ***.

4.123 Darrell Robertson, OLB, Georgia Tech 6'4" 255 lbs
After not addressing a pass rusher in the first 3 rounds, I address it here. Woodley and Harrison will likely start at OLB in 2008. Timmons will likely move inside eventually, leaving Arnold Harrison and Andre Frazier as OLB backups. Robertson’s greatest aspect is rushing the quarterback and has a solid work ethic.

5.156 Frank Okam, NT, Texas 6’5” 350 lbs
This pick was a little tricky. If Okam falls here, which is very possible given his inconsistency, I think he would be a good pickup to add depth at the nose tackle position. He doesn’t get as low as you’d want your NT to be, but with some coaching, he could be a very solid backup. Chris Hoke is really the only depth the Steelers have at NT, so taking Okam in the 5th round would be okay in my book.

6.188 Carl Stewart, FB, Auburn 6’1” 230 lbs
With the last pick, I address FB. Carey Davis isn’t exactly what you look for in a starting fullback, especially after being spoiled with Dan Krieder for years. I absolutely love Carl Stewart. In my opinion, he’s the 2nd best blocking FB in this draft. He’s incredibly tough, very smart, and has a great work ethic.

Thoughts?

Unbiased
04-21-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm sorry if it's "dumbed down." I wrote it for sports fans in general.

DeathbyStat
04-21-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry if it's "dumbed down." I wrote it for sports fans in general.

Doesn't seemed all that dumbed down to me....trust me this is a place for the hardcore i wouldn't hold back.

Looks pretty good to me but I don't know if I see Robertson's transition to OLB.

Unbiased
04-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Doesn't seemed all that dumbed down to me....trust me this is a place for the hardcore i wouldn't hold back.

Looks pretty good to me but I don't know if I see Robertson's transition to OLB.

He could make an immediate impact with the pass-rushing ability, but he'll have to work on his coverage skills, as he wasn't asked to do so as a DE at GT.

Unbiased
04-21-2008, 11:21 PM
If we're stuck at 23, I would prefer something like this:

1.23 Limas Sweed, WR, Texas 6'4" 215 lbs
I feel the Steelers' biggest needs are offensive guard and defensive end, in that order. However, there is no guard or end worth taking here. Maybe Balmer, but I don't like him, and he doesn't seem like a guy on which the Steelers would want to spend a first round pick. So they take "BPA who also fills a lesser need." Sweed is the second best receiver in the draft, behind Thomas. He has fantastic size, good hands; really a prototypical #1 target.

2.53 Chilo Rachal, OG, USC 6'5" 315 lbs
Seems to be the consensual pick at this spot. The Steelers' biggest need is addressed as Rachal would immediately be second string and could push Kemoatu or Simmons before the season. I already said anything else you need to know in my other mock.

3.88 Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton 6'6" 290 lbs
He might be gone here, but Scott doesn't have him going in the 1st 3 rounds so I'll allow it. Fills the Steelers' 2nd biggest need and adds much needed depth to the defensive line. Remember how it felt when Smith was injured and our starting ends were Kiesel and Nick Eason?

4.123 Darrell Robertson, OLB, Georgia Tech 6'4" 255 lbs
Same pick as before and same reasoning. I don't think OLB depth is as big as a concern as DE depth, but it still needs to be addressed.

5.156 Terrence Wheatley, CB, Colorado 5'10" 190 lbs
Not exactly an ideal pick or my favorite pick, but given how the other needs have been addressed, this could be the best case scenario for drafting a CB. Wheatley has okay size although is a tad short and runs a 4.37. He has great ball skills (14 career interceptions) which is a must for Steelers fans used to Ike Taylor's poor ball skills. Should step in and be a decent backup along with William ***.

6.188 Carl Stewart, FB, Auburn 6'1" 230 lbs
Same reasoning as before.

SCSteeler
04-22-2008, 01:10 AM
the 1st mock is the BEST i've seen yet!!!!!
BRAVO!!!!
i only pray it works out that way! if it did, it'd be the best draft since the famous '74 draft!
PLEASE GOD let it work out that way?
good mock!
i'm gonna go to sleep now and wake up Sunday afternoon hoping that when i do i'm looking at these players holding up Steelers jerseys!

Jakey
04-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Robertson would make a great OLB IMO...he has the explosiveness for sure! He would just need some time to make the transition. Good mock!!! :)

Santonio10
04-22-2008, 05:53 PM
I think both of those mocks are excellent. Especially the first although it's hard to predict trades. Nice work my friend! :)