PDA

View Full Version : Roy Williams bidding war?

Geo
04-21-2008, 05:47 PM
http://gcobb.com/content/view/1371/46/

Quick - News Coming On Roy Williams
Written by Garry Cobb

Mike Quick who is the analyst for the Eagles games with Merrill Reese says there will be news about Roy Williams before the week is out.

Mike Quick says he thinks the Birds are going to make a major move at the wide receiver position. He talked about Roy Williams and the potential that the Eagles will make a deal to acquire a wide receiver. He says there will be news on Roy Williams before the week is out.

That means the Cowboys, Redskins or the Eagles will probably wind up with the receiver before the week is out.

Mike just finished doing a live interview in a webcast with G. Cobb and Steve Martorano from Infiniti of Westchester and he says the Birds will try to do something this week. They're in a bidding a war right now.,

When asked about the Birds fear of being upstaged by the Phillies, Flyers and Sixers, Mike said he believes the Eagles are going to do something this weekend to take back all the attention.
Take it for what it is worth. PFT says this site has nailed some Eagles stories this offseason, I wouldn't know.

GB12
04-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Trade the one draft pick that has worked out so Millen can get more picks and blow those? I like it.

Paul
04-21-2008, 05:52 PM
I would give up the #22 pick for Roy in a heart beat.

Young Nasty Man
04-21-2008, 06:06 PM
bad move matt millen...

Scotty D
04-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Interesting that a bidding war among three NFC East teams could start. I would still welcome a Lito + decent pick for Roy.

Number 10
04-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Not gonna happen...same crap happens the week before the draft every year.

LonghornsLegend
04-21-2008, 06:09 PM

Who are you telling?!?! If Det doesn't mind parting with him, he will be a Cowboy, thats all it is to it...I could easily see us getting in a bidding war, he's the veteran WR we are looking for, from Texas, not as outspoken as Chad and younger...Hell they can have 22 and some players, but I dont think we would hesitate.

LonghornsLegend
04-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Although I gotta admit...

When asked about the Birds fear of being upstaged by the Phillies, Flyers and Sixers, Mike said he believes the Eagles are going to do something this weekend to take back all the attention.

Thats a crappy reason, I hope thats not the best they've got though.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-21-2008, 06:17 PM

22, the Skins will give 21, lol. I really do hope though it is a good pick for sentimental value, having our first pick since the death of Sean and it being the 21st pick, I know just coincedental but still, there is a whole string of these 21 occurances last season after his death, can't remember any of them if I do i'd post the link, but the one I do remember is to lock up the playoffs ST's dad visited the Skins for the first time since his death and we won by like 21 points or something. Having the 21st pick imagine if we took Kenny Phillips the pressure that would be on him. 21st pick, replacing Sean's spot, high rated safety from the U, etc...

SFbear
04-21-2008, 06:30 PM
I find this a pretty interesting battle considering all the teams are in the same division and their draft postions are all realtively close (19,21,22).

For the Lions sake they better hope they get some proven players out of it because Millen will just throw away any of the picks.

BaLLiN
04-21-2008, 07:02 PM
For some reason i cant see him in Dallas or Washington, but i could see him in Philly...

BufFan71
04-21-2008, 07:06 PM
i wouldnt mind buffalo giving the 11th pick for Roy Williams

wingboy2999
04-21-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't really want to trade him. But if you somehow drive the cost through the roof....

wingboy2999
04-21-2008, 07:07 PM

This is more what we are talking about.

Xiomera
04-21-2008, 07:09 PM

Now this I would do.

Imaging if the Lions got Derrick Harvey and Jeff Otah/Chris Williams at 11 and 15.

OMG!

Paul
04-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Now this I would do.

Imaging if the Lions got Derrick Harvey and Jeff Otah/Chris Williams at 11 and 15.

OMG!

No imagine the #22 pick and Bobby Carpenter. Let that marinate for a second.... Yea you like it.

Xiomera
04-21-2008, 07:11 PM
No imagine the #22 pick and Bobby Carpenter. Let that marinate for a second.... Yea you like it.

[runs away screaming in horror]

AHHHHHHHH!

proshoota25
04-21-2008, 07:18 PM

lmfao hahaha

PACKmanN
04-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Now this I would do.

OMG!

who would be your second wr?

GB12
04-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Now this I would do.

OMG!
11 would be prime postion for Devin Thomas...

bigbluedefense
04-21-2008, 07:42 PM
so Matt Millen is going to trade one of the few draft picks he actually got right?

Makes sense to me.

Xiomera
04-21-2008, 07:48 PM
who would be your second wr?

Mike Furrey.

The thing you guys forget is that Roy is gonna bolt Detroit. Either we continually franchise (and overpay) him, or we lose him for nothing after this year. And if we do franchise him, he won't be happy to be here.

Geo
04-21-2008, 07:57 PM
so Matt Millen is going to trade one of the few draft picks he actually got right?

Makes sense to me.
Is he supposed to sign Willams (a FA after 08) long-term, BBD? You never struck me as a guy who would spend big money on two receivers at once.

BeerBaron
04-21-2008, 07:59 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080421/SPORTS01/80421070/1048/sports

not gonna happen....get those pickles in your pockets under control NFC east fans, lol

good quote in there:

Coach Rod Marinelli has denied the Lions will trade Williams — strongly and repeatedly — comparing himself to an old dad shooing away suitors for his pretty daughter.

Scotty D
04-21-2008, 08:05 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080421/SPORTS01/80421070/1048/sports

not gonna happen....get those pickles in your pockets under control NFC east fans, lol

good quote in there:

I've heard this disputed though. He is not the GM. But I've also heard that the Lions will only deal if they get a "Herschel Walker" offer.

Geo
04-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Yeah, look how well they got that type of deal last year when Calvin Johnson fell to their pick.

bigbluedefense
04-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Is he supposed to sign Willams (a FA after 08) long-term, BBD? You never struck me as a guy who would spend big money on two receivers at once.

good question.

Me personally, I feel that the WR position is the most overrated position in football, and I wouldn't even draft one in the first round. Id get mine exclusively through later rounds and FA.

However, in Detroit's case, I think they need to hold onto as much talent as they can long term as possible. Let's face it, this is not a good drafting team, its not like we can assume theyll be fine without him by spending their money and drafting well to accommodate his absence.

Also, lets not forget that you have a qb waiting in the wings. Why get rid of what is at the moment his most consistent playmaker on offense? I think you can spend big money on 2 WRs in today's league if you want to, if you allot your money wisely in other places.

You have a Tampa 2 defense, that saves a lot of money which allows you to spend more offensively. Now if they can just draft talent at oline, and save money by getting quality mid round RBs used in an RBC tandem, thats good enough.

The money has to be spent wisely to pull it off, and Detroit has the schemes in place to do it, they just have to be better at management to pull it off. Can Millen of all ppl be the one to do this? I don't know, i doubt it honestly. But it can be done.

BeerBaron
04-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah, look how well they got that type of deal last year when Calvin Johnson fell to their pick.

exactly. i bet gruden was letting f-bombs fly in the buccaneers war room that day....

if i were the lions i would have jumped down just for a 3rd rounder even. the browns werent going to take gaines adams and getting any player at 4 would have been cheaper than any player at 2....

Geo
04-21-2008, 08:23 PM

good quote in there:

This part was more revealing imo:

But the talk persists. In the latest episode, Eagles radio analyst Mike Quick says there will be news on Williams before the week is out. GCobb.com — a Web site run by former Lions, Eagles and Cowboys linebacker Garry Cobb, now a Philadelphia media personality — reports “that means the Cowboys, Redskins or the Eagles will probably wind up with the receiver.”

At the Lions’ pre-draft news conference today, Millen was asked if there was any way the Lions would trade Williams. He just laughed.

Seated next to Millen, Marinelli said: “Don’t even ask me.” Asked if that meant no, Millen continued to laugh and said: “That thing is brutal.”

DiG
04-21-2008, 08:27 PM
id love me some ocho but id have no problems with roy either. ultimately i dont care if its ocho, roy, or anquan. as long as its one of them. and im getting more and more confident that one of the three will be a skin by week 1.

BeerBaron
04-21-2008, 08:29 PM
id love me some ocho but id have no problems with roy either. ultimately i dont care if its ocho, roy, or anquan. as long as its one of them. and im getting more and more confident that one of the three will be a skin by week 1.

based on the skins past, id say your most likely to have CJ out of that crew....id personally prefer anquan but hes beastly, and that could just be me, lol

Go_Eagles77
04-21-2008, 08:34 PM
That would just be weird if Dallas had 2 Roy Williams'.

Eagles own the NFC East
04-21-2008, 08:39 PM
I hope the Eagles get him, Lito is a non need and would be a waste just having him at nickel.

That is pretty funny that Millen never managed to trade Charles Rogers, or Mike Williams (even though they all ended up cut) but he tries to trade his one good draft pick.

Sniper
04-21-2008, 08:42 PM
I hope the Eagles get him, Lito is a non need and would be a waste just having him at nickel.

That is pretty funny that Millen never managed to trade Charles Rogers, or Mike Williams (even though they all ended up cut) but he tries to trade his one good draft pick.

Except Lito would be the #2, not the nickel.

Geo
04-21-2008, 08:45 PM
The way to look at it, I think, is like this. The Lions could have:
Roy Williams signed long-term + DE Gaines Adams + whatever else Tampa Bay was willing to offer last year; or

Calvin Johnson, the best WR prospect ever and years younger than Roy Williams, signed long-term + whatever they get this year (or next) for Roy
To be honest, I like the second option better, especially if they can land DE Derrick Harvey at #15 and RB Jonathan Stewart with another first round pick. It's not like Adams was a once-in-a-decade prospect or anything, he was a good prospect though.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Trading Roy is just not a good idea. I hope the old dad can push away these suitors for one more week. We will have the money to resign Roy next offseason. Why? Because we have no one else good to resign. We don't have to worry about Sims until 2011, Calvin is locked up, Redding is locked up, nobody else is worth it besides maybe Bodden but he is signed for 2008 and 2009. Furrey and McDonald need to prove something without Martz IMO and they better work on their run blocking. If Furrey/McDonald prove something then maybe franchise Roy and trade him on draft day in 2009. They'll be a market. We've got the entire NFC East drooling this year. Think about Roy playing in a contract year. He's going to be working hard all year to earn that money, he better do it in a Lions uniform.

And screw any NFC team. Lets just fix the Eagles and Cowboys one weakness. Find your own receiver, I refuse to use 3 WRs in a row and not have one on the roster. If you're going to trade him send him to the AFC.

ESimsfan87
04-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Couldn't agree with you more MNYM2!

swollja
04-21-2008, 10:30 PM
wow i just realized that would be crazy if skins took phillips at 21

wingboy2999
04-21-2008, 10:53 PM
[runs away screaming in horror]

AHHHHHHHH!

What.....? No.... why?

wingboy2999
04-21-2008, 10:53 PM
11 would be prime postion for Devin Thomas...

THAT IS THE MOST ORIGINAL JOKE I'VE EVER SEEN IN THE HISTORY OF COMEDY! YOU SIR, ARE FUNNY!

WMD
04-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Eh. I love Roy but I would trade him for the right price.. It'd take a lot, though.

LonghornsLegend
04-22-2008, 12:28 AM
Washington should grab Chad, and let us take over Roy...I really dont think Boldin will be traded, he was the team captain for them this year, I'd imagine the fans would start a sh*t storm if he was traded, but I can only imagine the punishment we could inflict on DB's with Boldin and TO split out wide.

cdub11
04-22-2008, 01:29 PM

i would LOVE it if we got roy for #22 and carp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Eh. I love Roy but I would trade him for the right price.. It'd take a lot, though.

My sentiments exactly. A 1st year and a 1st next year sounds right.

Geo
04-22-2008, 01:33 PM
That's asking for too much imo. But if the Lions can somehow get that, great.

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 01:34 PM
That's asking for too much imo. But if the Lions can somehow get that, great.

Oh it is definitely asking too much. But if it is there... do it damn it. But then again... we got a 3rd and a starting CB for Rogers.... so maybe Millen has turned a corner.

Ha

Ha

Ha

*sighhhhhhh*

WMD
04-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Maybe an offensive coach from the back of the room will say "Trade for two high picks from Washington"

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Maybe an offensive coach from the back of the room will say "Trade for two high picks from Washington"

Hahaha....

*sigh*

That really happened to us.

MetSox17
04-22-2008, 03:25 PM
The Lions have to get rid of him whether they like it or not.

He's not gonna re-sign with them, and he's gonna command a huge contract.
They have enough live and dead money wasted in the WR position to be handing out 20 million dollar signing bonuses.

He's gonna become a Cowboy, either this off-season or next. He's coming back home to Texas boys, you better believe it.

Scotty D
04-22-2008, 03:33 PM
The Lions have to get rid of him whether they like it or not.

He's not gonna re-sign with them, and he's gonna command a huge contract.
They have enough live and dead money wasted in the WR position to be handing out 20 million dollar signing bonuses.

He's gonna become a Cowboy, either this off-season or next. He's coming back home to Texas boys, you better believe it.

He will be franchised next off-season most likely. Probably hes dealt a la Corey Williams.

MetSox17
04-22-2008, 03:40 PM
He will be franchised next off-season most likely. Probably hes dealt a la Corey Williams.

That's a very plausible outcome, but like i said, He's on rental this year.

I doubt they'll get more value next year, with one more year of the league on his legs, and with a franchise tag that disgruntles anyone and everyone it touches.

Their best option would be to trade him now, when his value is at its highest.

Scotty D
04-22-2008, 03:43 PM

I doubt they'll get more value next year, with one more year of the league on his legs, and with a franchise tag that disgruntles anyone and everyone it touches.

Whats more valuable to the Lions?

One season of Roy on the team + next years trade haul (I'lll speculate 2nd rounder)

or

This years trade haul. First round pick + maybe a little more.

I'm not sure really.

MetSox17
04-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Whats more valuable to the Lions?

One season of Roy on the team + next years trade haul (I'lll speculate 2nd rounder)

or

This years trade haul. First round pick + maybe a little more.

I'm not sure really.

Well if i ran the Cowboys, i'd offer 28 this year and Bobby Carpenter. (The equivalent of a low first, high second).

Some people might not take into consideration that Roy Williams does have a say in where he wants to go, because no team is gonna trade anything good to the Lions if he says he's not going to re-sign. No one wants a headache and stagnant contract talks.

With Roy gone this year, they could implement CJ a lot more than they did last year, all things constant.

With a first they could address whatever need it is they have (i don't keep up much with the lions) and they would have already addressed their LB need with Carpenter, who might be better than most LB's in this draft, giving them the freedom to take BPA at 15, which could end up being Rashard Mendenhall, the top CB left, or an OT.

All they would get next year would be a DeAngelo Hall-esque deal, which IMO would be way worse.

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 04:02 PM
I don't think we can use Carpenter that much... but that is me. Not sure how well he fits for us. Where do you see him fitting in a 4-3?

MetSox17
04-22-2008, 04:06 PM
I don't think we can use Carpenter that much... but that is me. Not sure how well he fits for us. Where do you see him fitting in a 4-3?

Why not?

He played MLB at Ohio State, and he's lined up for the Cowboys at pretty much every spot. He wasn't very effective when they made him put his hand on the ground, but last year in the playoffs against Seattle, when they gave him extensive playing time, he was beastly. He was everywhere on the field.

I'm not sure how the Lions defensive scheme works, or how it would take advantage of his skill-set, but if Ernie Sims; a short, stout and fast LB can be successful, i don't see why a bigger guy with as much speed as a lot of MLB's can't.

I mean correct me if i'm wrong.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-22-2008, 04:12 PM

One more year of legs for Roy, still in his prime. One more year of legs for TO,Terry Glenn,Joey Galloway,Chad Johnson,Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison who are on the wrong side of 30. Roy will have value next year. We'l have the money to resign him next year if we want and if we are playoff competitive or trade him if we have yet another bad year(but there will be interest). The entire NFC East has got a stiffy for Roy this season. I don't expect that to change especially if Roy plays hard in his contract year.

MetSox17
04-22-2008, 04:16 PM
One more year of legs for Roy, still in his prime. One more year of legs for TO,Terry Glenn,Joey Galloway,Chad Johnson,Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison who are on the wrong side of 30. Roy will have value next year. We'l have the money to resign him next year if we want and if we are playoff competitive or trade him if we have yet another bad year(but there will be interest). The entire NFC East has got a stiffy for Roy this season. I don't expect that to change especially if Roy plays hard in his contract year.

You realize that players that are currently on franchise tags don't have as much value as they would if they were under contract?

The bidding war will probably presume next year, but why wait that long and risk for an injury, when the likelihood of him being traded is nearly 100%?

That's as smart as holding a lottery ticket, and waiting a year to cash it.

There's no way he's resigning with them, so throw that out completely. Not only does he want money, but he wants to win also. Jon Kitna's game is deteriorating, they have little to no offensive line help, no running game, and the defense is close to putrid, so why would he stay?

You're basically in the same situation next year as far as having to trade him, so why wait a year??

This situation is like any other. When your stock/value/_(insert any analogy)_ is at it's highest, the only possible way it can go is down, so why risk it?

LonghornsLegend
04-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Carpenter would make a great LB in a Tampa 2 scheme...I still remember the reports that had Carpenter and Spears on the chopping block, Fasano is another hot name as of lately, not sure what's Detroits use to him.

Carp is underrated because he doesn't do much for us, but he has great instincts and would fit well in that type of scheme, just not really sure how Millen would value him, or if there would be somebody he wanted at 28(Mayo?)

Gives them the option of going Mendenhall, Mayo in the first, Carp could play weakside(Sims is strong side correct?), and Mayo fills out the LB core...At worst case he is competition for somebody who is still only 24 yrs old.

TacticaLion
04-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Carpenter would make a great LB in a Tampa 2 scheme...I still remember the reports that had Carpenter and Spears on the chopping block, Fasano is another hot name as of lately, not sure what's Detroits use to him.

Carp is underrated because he doesn't do much for us, but he has great instincts and would fit well in that type of scheme, just not really sure how Millen would value him, or if there would be somebody he wanted at 28(Mayo?)

Gives them the option of going Mendenhall, Mayo in the first, Carp could play weakside(Sims is strong side correct?), and Mayo fills out the LB core...At worst case he is competition for somebody who is still only 24 yrs old.Sims plays WLB.

Anyway, I'm actually a fan of Carp, but would want more than just 1st + Carp. You can't consider Carp for what he *could* be, but for what he *has* been in the NFL.

I'd think a 1st, Carp and additional pick (either 2008 or 2009) would be ideal.

nobodyinparticular
04-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Who are you telling?!?! If Det doesn't mind parting with him, he will be a Cowboy, thats all it is to it...I could easily see us getting in a bidding war, he's the veteran WR we are looking for, from Texas, not as outspoken as Chad and younger...Hell they can have 22 and some players, but I dont think we would hesitate.

I wonder... What about throwing Carpenter into a deal? I know his name is thrown into every trade imaginable, but I like him as a MLB and I think he'd do well on the inside of Ernie Sims.

nobodyinparticular
04-22-2008, 05:33 PM

Gives them the option of going Mendenhall, Mayo in the first, Carp could play weakside(Sims is strong side correct?), and Mayo fills out the LB core...At worst case he is competition for somebody who is still only 24 yrs old.

You beat me to the punch. Although I would like Carp in the middle of a Tampa 2 a lot better than outside. And as already mentioned, Sims is a WILL 'backer.

LonghornsLegend
04-22-2008, 06:03 PM
I wasnt sure if Sims was a Will or not...Carp could play middle, I dont think he would be as appealing as Mayo for that defense, but I think he's a good fit in general in the Tampa 2 at least to push somebody for a spot...But I agree another future pick would be needed which would be fine by me...I'd also be fine with giving them another player...Spears could probably be a heck of a 4-3 NT but that's another story.

asmitty45
04-22-2008, 06:07 PM
I think we will move him if they can get a 1st, I would trade him at this point, he's going to leave after next year if we dont franchise him anyways.

Wouldn't mind get a vet and a 3rd for him

wingboy2999
04-22-2008, 07:20 PM
I thought I was out... AND THEN THEY PULL ME RIGHT BACK IN!

P-L
04-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Trade the one draft pick that has worked out so Millen can get more picks and blow those? I like it.
I really don't think he signs with us long-term. Do we trade him this off-season, franchise him and trade him next off-season, or let him go for nothing? I guess a fourth option is to throw $20+ million guaranteed at him so both of our receivers combine for $50 million guaranteed. That seems like a good strategy...